IGNORED

South stand singing section stewarding

Stockwood nick

3 minutes ago, kivsy said:

When we moved to the south stand , yet another move , we went in having to each pay another 50 quid each per season and plenty of    Communication from city saying if it proves popular there will be scope to expand the signing area.  I don't know if someone can find a letter or email from the club proving this ?  

One for the trust etc to raise at next meeting.  

I don't think the extra £50 is neither here nor there, it's the going rate for the stand. It sounds like you are saying you only moved there because there was agreement you could expand?  I don't think you had the choice, clearly you couldn't stay in the Atyeo as the club had planned to make it all away, and on days like Saturday you can understand why. 

I think it's great that the singers are there, can't see them being anywhere else. There is talk on here of expanding along the front of the Dolman, but that's hard now ST holders have been in there for a while, and of course it will be another £50 increase or there abouts I guess?

I'm not to bothered about £50 however anything to do with city usually costs extra ! 

I'm frustrated as the club were the ones who promised in their communications with the fans that there was scope to expand the singing section if demand was there , the fact it sold out tells you that demand is there . I'm sure I didn't imagine receiving emails and a letter asking me for me season ticket money 6 months upfront 

3 minutes ago, kivsy said:

I'm not to bothered about £50 however anything to do with city usually costs extra ! 

I'm frustrated as the club were the ones who promised in their communications with the fans that there was scope to expand the singing section if demand was there , the fact it sold out tells you that demand is there . I'm sure I didn't imagine receiving emails and a letter asking me for me season ticket money 6 months upfront 

As far as I know they haven't said it can't be expanded, so I'm not sure why there is an anxiety on the issue.

It would make sense though if they thought that safe standing was going to be installed in the next couple of years to wait for that before moving people again.

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

As far as I know they haven't said it can't be expanded, so I'm not sure why there is an anxiety on the issue.

It would make sense though if they thought that safe standing was going to be installed in the next couple of years to wait for that before moving people again.

There isnt any possiblity it can expand further along the south stand. It isn't possible due to sight lines.

34 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I think there's definitely some truth in that.

There's clearly a reason why Liverpool raise their game during big European ties at Anfield and why Celtic get so many good results in Europe at Celtic park.

Having a good atmosphere home and away is worth an extra few points a season. For example there was no way Swindon were going to beat us at home when AG was rocking like that in 13/14.. likewise Palace back in 07/08 in the Playoffs.

Some may not like this, but I believe fans who actively support the team (singing, standing, chanting etc) make more of a positive impact on the players and team than those who sit in relative quiet and don't get involved as much.

I believe clubs should be doing all they can to cultivate atmosphere at games and make singing sections or similar as big and inclusive as possible.

• SC&T Board Members

The area is clearly proving a victim of its own popularity.

It's great that it's so popular and it has certainly improved the atmosphere.

The season ticket issue and high level of stewarding are both elements to keep the SAG assured that (a) the club know who is in that space and (b) it does not get overcrowded by fans with tickets for other areas moving into it to join in the fun.

As regards expansion, there was indeed some talk of this at FAN meetings back in the spring of last year ... BUT it was also recognised that there was only very limited scope, because if you start moving across towards the centre of the South Stand, you block the view of the corner flag for fans sat immediately adjacent to anyone standing.

The only adjoining space that you could expand into in due course without creating sightline problems would be on the back X rows of the South Stand, stretching all the way across. That way there would be no seated fans to either side whose views could be blocked.

However, that clearly couldn't be done mid-season (as that wouldn't be fair on fans with STs on those rows) and even if it were to be looked at next summer, it presents two major challenges: (1) placating fans with STs on those rows who want to sit and (2) overcoming the issue of gradient. The back of the South Stand is steeper than the SE quadrant and it is almost certain that there would be objections on those grounds to any relaxed approach to standing in that area.

When rail seats are finally allowed, however, it will be a different matter, as with rails along every row the gradient will then no longer pose any risk of fans falling forward.

If they're going to have stewards on every aisle checking the tickets that's fine. Just make sure they know what they are doing. I was told to stand in my seat in S26 instead of going to the spot i usually head to in the corner of S25. After politely stating my point to the steward around 10 times they were having none of it, it was at that point 3 fans sat down started to also state that the whole of the singing section blocks are unreserved and you can go anywhere. Still, nothing. Eventually the steward turned to another steward for help, at which point they said... Yep its all unreserved, stand where you like....... All this took 5/10 mins.

Never has this emoji summed up my feelings more aptly. :grr: 

3 hours ago, Ohbasso said:

It's definitely something the club need to look at. That area sold out very quickly and currently has no space to grow. I don't know if they'll be able to do anything before the end of the season but for next season hopefully they'll be able to make it bigger or create another unreserved area.

There's clearly more people that want to stand in an unreserved area than what's been allowed for, ideally it would be a big enough area to have potd tickets on sale in there too. 

There's plenty of empty seats in the stadium so it's definitely doable it just needs one more season of upheaval for everyone to hopefully get it right. 

There are indeed seats that aren’t allocated to season ticket holders, but they they are scattered at random around the ground. There is no large area that’s empty for the standing group to move into without blocking the view of others. Another issue is the spare capacity is not as great as it seams. The upper Lansdown isn’t open except for the family enclosure, the Atyeo is exclusively away fans, and the “posh seats” in the centre of the Lansdown are for those on a hospitality package. After deducting the approx 13k season tickets the remaining empty seats are mainly just individual seats or groups of two or three. This is of no use to larger groups of people who currently sit together and would be forced to move. 

Unfortunately there are other issues that might prevent expansion. First, the constant minority who have the “rules don’t apply to me, I can do what I want” attitude. The club set up the standing section and initially worked on the basis of trust. This trust has been abused and the club has been forced to use stewards to ensure the area isn’t over crowed. Second, where there is standing, 10% of the tickets can’t be sold. Unless the upper Lansdown is opened, it’s difficult to keep losing 10% of individual sections of the ground. 

2 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

There are indeed seats that aren’t allocated to season ticket holders, but they they are scattered at random around the ground. There is no large area that’s empty for the standing group to move into without blocking the view of others. Another issue is the spare capacity is not as great as it seams. The upper Lansdown isn’t open except for the family enclosure, the Atyeo is exclusively away fans, and the “posh seats” in the centre of the Lansdown are for those on a hospitality package. After deducting the approx 13k season tickets the remaining empty seats are mainly just individual seats or groups of two or three. This is of no use to larger groups of people who currently sit together and would be forced to move. 

Unfortunately there are other issues that might prevent expansion. First, the constant minority who have the “rules don’t apply to me, I can do what I want” attitude. The club set up the standing section and initially worked on the basis of trust. This trust has been abused and the club has been forced to use stewards to ensure the area isn’t over crowed. Second, where there is standing, 10% of the tickets can’t be sold. Unless the upper Lansdown is opened, it’s difficult to keep losing 10% of individual sections of the ground. 

Opening the Lansdown was my thinking, apparently lots of people want to move up there which would create more space. Having a larger or another unreserved area is possible it'll just mean moving some people about.

7 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Re the upper Lansdown.

Be very surprised if the club wanted to expose the kids in the family stand to some of the 'language' used within some of the tuneful ditties that get sung.

Chances are, the kids would love it and the parents would probably go with the 'it's a word used at football, not at school, and don't tell your nan you have a new word' approach, but i would guess it's unlikely.

24 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Re the upper Lansdown.

Be very surprised if the club wanted to expose the kids in the family stand to some of the 'language' used within some of the tuneful ditties that get sung.

Chances are, the kids would love it and the parents would probably go with the 'it's a word used at football, not at school, and don't tell your nan you have a new word' approach, but i would guess it's unlikely.

The stand is plenty big enough, families right down one end, singers right up the other. If we get a match we need to sell extra capacity for like we just dud for Leeds then they can have the middle, and maybe their current space will be emptier anyway?

1 hour ago, Blagdon red said:

The area is clearly proving a victim of its own popularity.

It's great that it's so popular and it has certainly improved the atmosphere.

The season ticket issue and high level of stewarding are both elements to keep the SAG assured that (a) the club know who is in that space and (b) it does not get overcrowded by fans with tickets for other areas moving into it to join in the fun.

As regards expansion, there was indeed some talk of this at FAN meetings back in the spring of last year ... BUT it was also recognised that there was only very limited scope, because if you start moving across towards the centre of the South Stand, you block the view of the corner flag for fans sat immediately adjacent to anyone standing.

The only adjoining space that you could expand into in due course without creating sightline problems would be on the back X rows of the South Stand, stretching all the way across. That way there would be no seated fans to either side whose views could be blocked.

However, that clearly couldn't be done mid-season (as that wouldn't be fair on fans with STs on those rows) and even if it were to be looked at next summer, it presents two major challenges: (1) placating fans with STs on those rows who want to sit and (2) overcoming the issue of gradient. The back of the South Stand is steeper than the SE quadrant and it is almost certain that there would be objections on those grounds to any relaxed approach to standing in that area.

When rail seats are finally allowed, however, it will be a different matter, as with rails along every row the gradient will then no longer pose any risk of fans falling forward.

Hi Blagdon red I have noticed this season in block 24 there is some rows of people already standing at the back of the block. Does anyone in block 23 have any issues with this. Personally I don't think it is causing any problems at the moment. I do feel that the whole of block 24 should be the next block for standing but it needs to be tested by trust members to see if there will be any line of sight issues in block 23 for the corner flag. Could a group of you test this out for tomorrow nights game? one person sitting in different seats in block 23 with a group of you standing in block 24. Though I am sure people in block 23 won't mind standing for just a few seconds to see a corner being taken. Surely this won't be an issue with the club if there isn't any line of sight problems?

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Why is it season ticket only? Are all 'singing sections' behind goals across the country season ticket only?

Supposing they expanded it with existing season ticket holders then say into S24 POTD...could be useful for a steady expansion and remove the element of closed shop, perhaps upper S24 as part of singing section.

well when fans can purchase their season tickets in the area of their choice this is a popular choice and ends up being a sell out area

• SC&T Board Members
3 hours ago, Threshing Red said:

Hi Blagdon red I have noticed this season in block 24 there is some rows of people already standing at the back of the block. Does anyone in block 23 have any issues with this. Personally I don't think it is causing any problems at the moment. I do feel that the whole of block 24 should be the next block for standing but it needs to be tested by trust members to see if there will be any line of sight issues in block 23 for the corner flag. Could a group of you test this out for tomorrow nights game? one person sitting in different seats in block 23 with a group of you standing in block 24. Though I am sure people in block 23 won't mind standing for just a few seconds to see a corner being taken. Surely this won't be an issue with the club if there isn't any line of sight problems?

There WOULD be a sightline issue if you went right across block 24. As soon as you go beyond being in line with the side touchline, you will have issues. While they might not be great, the SAG wouldn't wear them. And the club is reliant on the SAG taking a tolerant view of the stewards' relaxed stance on standing in order to be able to provide a 'singing section' in the first place.

I have a ticket in the unreserved section, funnily enough I don't expect to be able to sit in the Lansdown or Dolman, the Stewarding is an effect of people who have a problem understanding this very easy but basic fact. Stop blaming everyone else and take responsibility for your own actions.

Cheers to @Blagdon red that explained it all very clearly. Rather suspected it tbh, the bit about SAG and knowing whose in there etc. I guess my question is are all areas equivalent to our S82 season ticket only in UK? I assuming answer is yes but I don't know for sure.

Yeah if there's a limited number of seats in there then people have to adhere to that.

On a general note, and people in there may correct me if I am wrong- please do! However from where I am in the ground the stewarding in there in general, looks like an incident waiting to happen. To me anyway. Looks quite heavy handed, read on here of course about sending in stewards, talking about cameras on people etc rather early and as a first or perhaps second resort rather than latterly. Just a layman's view but I think the club should look at that and maybe- hands maybe tied a bit by SAG or the stewards may be instructed by club and so on. However if not, the club need to look again at their approach in that area in general terms IMO.

Archived