IGNORED

Bobby Reid Striker?

Gmac

Well this might be a bit controversial but this is my honest opinion after watching last couple of home games. I personally would like to start looking at other options up top. I just don’t see him as a striker, admittedly he has proven that he is good poacher around the box but for me hasn’t done anything that Taylor can’t do.

I’m NOT saying I DON'T want him in the team just not as a striker when we have goal scorers in the squad. There have been numerous times were Fammy finds himself receiving the ball and Reid is nowhere near him, he does not have the positional sense to play up top. The 10 minutes I saw of Taylor against Leeds he was constantly on the shoulder of the last man looking for the ball or looking for the knock down from his strike partner.

Now I know he has scored a few goals this season but if I’m right in thinking (most likely wrong) they have mostly been tap ins not clear cut chances. I would much prefer him in the team but in a free role behind the two up top that allows him to drift late into the box. Now this will call for a change in the system we play and I not saying a have a solution to this, but lucky for us I am not the one who gets paid to make these decisions.

Would like to reiterate this is just my opinion after watching a couple of home games where we have had little of a goal threat and is not in response to the Leeds game.

I was thinking about this earlier.

Bobby has had a great start to the season and his confidence is high and he is a definate starter.

I think he could be the creative midfielder we are currently missing, he always looks to play forward and could unlock the oppositions defences we have struggled against recently.

Just a suggestion like.

I tend to agree,always thought Bobby as a goal scoring midfielder who has the trickery to run at pace which frightens the be death out of any defenders good or bad,but nothing will change until,Taylor,Woodrow or Đurić can prove themselves to be Fammys partner.

ps as regards tap ins don’t forget the perfectly good goal v Burton.

17 minutes ago, candygram for mongo said:

I was thinking about this earlier.

Bobby has had a great start to the season and his confidence is high and he is a definate starter.

I think he could be the creative midfielder we are currently missing, he always looks to play forward and could unlock the oppositions defences we have struggled against recently.

Just a suggestion like.

He was bullied out of it on Saturday when moved into a midfield role .

I hope he stays up front and continues to learn there.

He has the happy knack of being in the right place at the right time for the tap ins but has also scored a couple of scorchers . 

I would like to see Pack as an out and out No 9 , just for a laugh . 

:rofl2br:

8 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

He has the happy knack of being in the right place at the right time for the tap ins but has also scored a couple of scorchers . 

Pack it in Major :-)

1 hour ago, Gmac said:

Well this might be a bit controversial but this is my honest opinion after watching last couple of home games. I personally would like to start looking at other options up top. I just don’t see him as a striker, admittedly he has proven that he is good poacher around the box but for me hasn’t done anything that Taylor can’t do.

I’m NOT saying I DON'T want him in the team just not as a striker when we have goal scorers in the squad. There have been numerous times were Fammy finds himself receiving the ball and Reid is nowhere near him, he does not have the positional sense to play up top. The 10 minutes I saw of Taylor against Leeds he was constantly on the shoulder of the last man looking for the ball or looking for the knock down from his strike partner.

Taylor has made 20 league appearances for us now and in those games he has scored twice.

This season Reid has played 13 league games and has scored 7, so your first statement is clearly utter bollocks.

Taylor does lots of running around but for me (and I know this is currently a minority view) he actually contributes very little, his first touch is frankly awful and his aimless effort seems to cover up to a lot of people the fact that he can't finish to save his life at this level.

I have been a massive critic of Reid but happy to say he has proved me wrong this season.

He was always going to hit a run of games where the goals dried up. To be fair to him it feels like a long time but given the international break it’s only been two games without a goal! 

Keep him in for another 4/5 games and if things don’t start dropping for him again then maybe mix it up. But for now Reid and Fammy need to be playing together.

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Taylor has made 20 league appearances for us now and in those games he has scored twice.

This season Reid has played 13 league games and has scored 7, so your first statement is clearly utter bollocks.

Taylor does lots of running around but for me (and I know this is currently a minority view) he actually contributes very little, his first touch is frankly awful and his aimless effort seems to cover up to a lot of people the fact that he can't finish to save his life at this level.

Listening to Talksport before the game with the reporter at Ashton Gate saying how Diedhiou and Reid are the feared strikers in the champ and they get better each time he sees them. 5 mins later we get the news Woodrow is starting. 

1 minute ago, tinman85 said:

Pack is good at being ineffective with the ball in our half. His shooting yesterday for a professional footballer was a bit of a joke. 

If you want too talk football

for people that spend their time training to be footballers both leeds and us are fairly useless apart from the corner(to far for me to see correctly)  a deflection and a stupid touch cost us the game

Ried and Diedhiou seem to make a good partner ship and scored at a good rate playing together.   Need to be our main starting pair bar injuries.  I'd guess you don't know how a pair will play till starting them, hopefully Johnson has learnt from it and might wane away from a Reid/Woodrow partnership. Starting Woodrow was a bit baffling mind, still not sure why we took him on loan.

Ried's got off to a flyer, the cost of that is teams will look to snuff him out, Leeds did the work to make him ineffective, other teams will too.  Will be a test to see if Reid can adapt when he needs too and adjust.

43 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

He couldn't hit a barn door with a bag of rice from three feet!

1 hour ago, Gmac said:

Now I know he has scored a few goals this season but if I’m right in thinking (most likely wrong) they have mostly been tap ins not clear cut chances. I would much prefer him in the team but in a free role behind the two up top that allows him to drift late into the box. Now this will call for a change in the system we play and I not saying a have a solution to this, but lucky for us I am not the one who gets paid to make these decisions.

Would like to reiterate this is just my opinion after watching a couple of home games where we have had little of a goal threat and is not in response to the Leeds game.

If we're ignoring tap ins, I take it you didn't rate Tammy either...

10 minutes ago, redcherryberry said:

Agreed. Bobby got nothing playing off the powder puff Woodrow. Fam can be awful at times but still has impact & again so crucial to the way we play.  

I can see Fam improving over the course of the season too whereas I feel apart from Woodrow understanding his teammates better he has little improvement to come.

1 hour ago, Cider red said:

Reid missed pato and fam yesterday, and for me striker is clearly his position. He scored a cracker against Burton. Droping him to midfield would be a mistake Imo.

Paterson and Reid feed of each a lot. The amount of balls Reid feeds to Paterson in dangerous areas of the pitch is a big contributor to the number of chances/assists he has created. Added to the chances and goals they also both carve out for themselves I would say that Reid and Paterson are our most potent threat running at and stretching the defence. I love watching the two of them play.

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

We are so alike in our thoughts on Taylor.  I do however think he was MOTM v Stoke, which is the only time I’ve seen him play at that level of performance, suggesting it is not the norm.

Reid and Woodrow got no service Saturday, but most seem to think that means Woodrow is sh1t, but that Bobby just had a poor game.  Woodrow was well-involved in the good bits that happened in the last 15 minutes of the first half.

Diedhiou looks so much quicker over the ground than early season, I think he’s now 90% adjusted.  

Must start with Reid and Diedhiou on Tuesday....let’s not rush Djúric who is not a mobile target man at the best of times.  15 minutes near the end if we need him.  

I’m sure on Wednesday last week, LJ had picked his two elevens for Sat and Tues...but injuries, illness and now suspension (likely), means he can actually pick his best(ish) eleven.  The likes of Magnússon must start, whereas maybe the likes of Kelly and Vyner, might need to wait for a different opportunity.

Archived