IGNORED

Shutt or Milne??

headhunter

5 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Just looking on the official site preview and their report of the 4-1 win over Palace in 88 has a picture labelling Carl Shutt as the goalscorer - looks more like Ralph Milne to me! Anyone think the same?

You're right, definitely Ralphie.

Interesting City team that day:

Waugh, Newman, Bailey, Humphries, Pender, McClaren, Milne, Galliers, Shut, Walsh, Gavin

Of those, I’d take Newman, Shut and Walsh to strengthen the current team  (if they all weren’t now in their 50s)

6 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Waugh, Newman, Bailey, Humphries, Pender, McClaren, Milne, Galliers, Shut, Walsh, Gavin

Of those, I’d take Newman, Shut and Walsh to strengthen the current team  (if they all weren’t now in their 50s)

Waughy as well...and Gavs (this was his first spell, so was awesome!)....and at the moment probably Stevie Galliers too while we're missing Korey.... Jeez some happy memories watching that side and the following year.

44 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Really? Very good players for City in their day, but weren't City in div 3 then?

Pretty sure Walshie and Shutt never played for City at Championship level, not sure about Newman, but I agree about him anyway.

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

I'd have Ralphie, if he'd not been an alcoholic (and *errm* dead)

20 minutes ago, Busterrimes said:

Newman went on to play in Top flight for Norwich and Shutt played Champions Cup and top flight for Leeds. Walsh went to Besiktas so all couple play at this level.

I agreed with Newman.

Walshie left City aged 33 for a last hurrah/payday at Besiktas. In his whole career he had only played 3 games above DIv.3 level, at the start of his career for Middlesbro., before being picked up by Darlington for a 6 year stint before City signed him.

Shutt was a 1 goal in every 4.5 games 3rd division player for City, and his record was no better at Leeds. We were quite content to swap him for a Leeds reserve striker and get 50k into the bargain.

Not saying they couldn't play at this level - though City never had an offer for Walshie from a higher club afaik. - and Walshie was a great player for us, but it was all in DIv.3/4 and to say they'd get into today's City team judging from their time at AG is pushing it a bit imo.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I agreed with Newman.

Walshie left City aged 33 for a last hurrah/payday at Besiktas. In his whole career he had only played 3 games above DIv.3 level, at the start of his career for Middlesbro., before being picked up by Darlington for a 6 year stint before City signed him.

Shutt was a 1 goal in every 4.5 games 3rd division player for City, and his record was no better at Leeds. We were quite content to swap him for a Leeds reserve striker and get 50k into the bargain.

Not saying they couldn't play at this level - though City never had an offer for Walshie from a higher club afaik. - and Walshie was a great player for us, but it was all in DIv.3/4 and to say they'd get into today's City team judging from their time at AG is pushing it a bit imo.

Walshie would be found out at a higher level,one trick pony as much as I liked him.

Shutt never was great,bang average who had a better scoring record in the cup than in the league, never impressed by him

Newman, quality, but slow, but I do think he could fit in to compliment the team.possibly screening the back 4,providing long and passing with his defensive capabilities, and maybe somedecent strikes from dead ball situations.

Gavin,  1good season,loved him in 89/90,butthat rally was it, oneseason wonder, with average performancesin other seaons.

The rest meh.. but maybe Paul Mardon, always rated him,even though he played so few games for us.

Humphries  wouldn't last 5 minutes... Humphries gonna get you!

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Walshie was a great player for us, but it was all in DIv.3/4 and to say they'd get into today's City team judging from their time at AG is pushing it a bit imo.

Nogs, you're absolutely right in what you said BUT we're talking about Sir Alan Walsh.  This is where I forget brains/logic and go with my heart....Sir Alan should've played for England and he would have scored the winner as a replacement for Gascoigne.

He would then have been offered the England Manager's job and he'd still be in the hot seat going for a 5th successive World Cup win in Russia next year. 

2 hours ago, TRL said:

Walshie would be found out at a higher level,one trick pony as much as I liked him.

Shutt never was great,bang average who had a better scoring record in the cup than in the league, never impressed by him

Newman, quality, but slow, but I do think he could fit in to compliment the team.possibly screening the back 4,providing long and passing with his defensive capabilities, and maybe somedecent strikes from dead ball situations.

Didn't Newman play for the great Norwich side of 92/93 that ran up the league and put on a very good show in Europe? 

Didnt carl shutt come on for cantona who had huffed and puffed for Leeds with 5 mins to go in the European cup 92 and scored the Winner, or was I dreaming? 

Back to Shutt - fantastic early 4 goal haul against Fulham and memorably sent off for punching the keeper when the debacle play off replay at Walsall was already lost.

Really can't remember too much else, hardly a super striker for City and the records show - surprisingly - that apart from that Fulham game he scored just a further 6 goals for City in his other 45 Div. 3 apps.

He only went to Leeds because Wilkinson, his old manager at Sheff.Weds. took over at Elland Road. We got Super Bob plus 50k.  in exchange and the rest is history.

With that 4 goal haul Shutt was very similar to Joe Royle in so far as the extraordinary goalscoring burst was completely at odds with the rest of his City career.

6 hours ago, redfieldred said:

Didn't Newman play for the great Norwich side of 92/93 that ran up the league and put on a very good show in Europe? 

Didnt carl shutt come on for cantona who had huffed and puffed for Leeds with 5 mins to go in the European cup 92 and scored the Winner, or was I dreaming? 

Newman I would have in the team. 

Shirt never. He turned up maybe once every 5 games. I never warmed to the bloke or really saw any quality in him

Shutt never really did it, bar the 4-0 vs Fulham, and Steve Neville set up all 4 I recall...but he was part of the deal to bring in his lordship Bob Taylor. 

Newman was a beast, but sloooowww. Walsh had a left peg sent by God.

Newman with Shutt's pace and Walsh's left peg?

14 hours ago, pongo88 said:

These 3 get my vote for the BCFC Drinking Team (Unofficial). No great claim to fame I know

As a youngster I spent time wirh all 3 of these and Boy did they know know to party

We were starstruck being out with 1st team players and the doors ir opened for us

They were all as mad as a box of frogs

18 hours ago, redfieldred said:

I wasn't dreaming. Scored against Stuttgart playing in the Nou. Came on for cantana and scored a minute later. 

On Tuesday, October 24, 2017 at 18:37, Nogbad the Bad said:

I agreed with Newman.

Super bob would definitely get in this team. £175k plus Shutt was great business by Big Joe. If Walshy would of been quicker he would of played Div1/Prem. Newman could play anywhere but again lacked pace. I never rated Galliers or Mcclaren, Bailey had abit of class, even though he was coming to the end of his career and of course Gavin really kicked on in the promotion season. Smith, Shelts and Turner seemed the final pieces in jigsaw along with the underrated Rennie. Happy days, I can't believe it was nearly 30 years ago.

The discussion about whether players from past era could play in our present side is pointless.

All one can ever do is consider what they did for City at the level the club was in at that time.

The best example I can give is Mike Thresher who was outstanding for us over ten years in Div 3 South and Div 2. Whether he would have been good enough for the AD side in the First Division or the side now is pure conjecture.

Only very few would be so good that they would be able to cross the time divide without having the benefit of the later era's training and life style regime.

Let's just say that Atyeo, Gow, Wedlock are all time greats irrespective of the time in which they played.

Archived