IGNORED

Luke Steele

Port Said Red

6 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Did he push his way forward for a league start tonight? I thought Frankie was poor on Saturday even allowing for the conditions, I thought Steele looked good all round tonight and made a couple of high quality saves. Maybe deserves a chance.

One bad game for Frankie.  Don't think you can go dropping after one game.  He certainly has competition though. 

1 minute ago, nebristolred said:

See I thought Steele looked ropey in general, a few very dodgy punches, but to his credit there was a superb save down to his bottom right as well.

Agree with this - he also seemed to drop every ball and needed a second grab on most shots - was a hell of a save in the second half though.

He looked very confident on the ball, distribution was also pretty good. Seems more assured coming of his line for the ball. So nice to have a good keeper in reserve. FF has not done anything wrong to be replaced though. Question is, if we get a big team do we keep Steele as reward for being the cup run team - or does FF get a big maybe once in a life time day out.

9 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Please explain how Frankie was poor Saturday. Absolutely bizarre.

Well apart from the second goal when he seemed to forget he was allowed to use his hands, he  never came for a cross all game, couldn't kick in a straight line and just generally looked out of sorts. I admit it didn't help having Flint playing so poorly in front of him though.

36 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

See I thought Steele looked ropey in general, a few very dodgy punches, but to his credit there was a superb save down to his bottom right as well.

I'm in agreement with this. He had to have a 2nd grab at about 3 or 4 shots and a couple of crosses. Magnificent Banks-esque save late 2nd half though. 

I thought Steele was excellent tonight and it's very harsh for anyone to say he looked ropey.  Great performance and kept us in the game.  He's looked very good in all his cup games and gives me real confidence that we finally have two strong first team standard  keepers. I haven't analysed Saturday's match tbh, but at first viewing didn't blame Frankie for our goals conceded.  Another example of our improved strength in depth this season. Well player Luke. 

1 hour ago, nebristolred said:

Had a good game tonight, but we also commented that his early saves seemed to be awkward, almost hitting wrists and lower arm than gloves....but the ball stayed out.

Think Palace hit some wobbly shots at pace tonight.

I really really thought he looked on edge. Seemed to have a howler first half, like he couldn't get a grip on the ball. Made a phenomenal save down low to his right but overall I wasn't blown away and I'd start Frankie.

5 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

I really really thought he looked on edge. Seemed to have a howler first half, like he couldn't get a grip on the ball. Made a phenomenal save down low to his right but overall I wasn't blown away and I'd start Frankie.

Yep. Looked rusty first half, but made a good save just before half time and that seemed to give him confidence, and he looked assured second half. 

Frankie still number one though. 

1 minute ago, glynriley said:

Yep. Looked rusty first half, but made a good save just before half time and that seemed to give him confidence, and he looked assured second half. 

Frankie still number one though. 

Exactly that. From the Dolman it looked like he was partially at fault for the first goal as well. Good enough competition for FF but he's still our number 1.

Archived