IGNORED

For my dad

Jerseybean

12 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

As a three year old my dad took me to Ashton Gate for the first time, he was a steward in the old grandstand for over 40 years. I have consequently spent the past 58 years supporting the City. He died at 5 am today aged 90. Thank you dad, rest in peace.

Thank you everyone, I wasn’t sure about posting this but glad I decided to, your comments and thoughts are greatly appreciated. Special thanks to Robin TBW for suggesting a plinth plate on the Atyeo Statue (I fear I may be too late but I’m exploring this).

Last night I was very mindful of all the youngsters there with their dad’s / families. So many young fans which is great for the future of the club.

12 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

As a three year old my dad took me to Ashton Gate for the first time, he was a steward in the old grandstand for over 40 years. I have consequently spent the past 58 years supporting the City. He died at 5 am today aged 90. Thank you dad, rest in peace.

Really sorry to hear your news.

Like you my Dad took me to my first game at age 3 ironically against his team Crystal Palace. Since that day I have been a City fan much to his disgust. Off to see him in 2 weeks time as he lives in Australia and his health is not good. He is 93 and Mum 90. I go and visit every 5 - 6 months while we still have them although each trip gets harder.

Goodnight Jerseybean's Dad and sleep well.

Sorry for your loss mate.

My dad died in may this year at the age of 69. Sadly after battling with his mental health for a long time, he couldn’t go on and took his own life.

He was a season ticket holder and was a big fan of bobby Reid. Such a shame he hasn’t been able to see his transformation this season.

You will never stop missing the ones close to you, but life does and must go on.

RIP to your dad.

Sorry to hear of your loss. My Dad took me to my first game in John Atyeo's final season; first game against Bolton, second against Wolves on Boxing Day. I was given Subbuteo for Christmas - the standard teams supplied were red/white and blue/white. Dad arranged for the blue/white team figures to be exchanged for a set of figures in Wolves colours. Unfortunately, the bloke in the shop (a gashead) switched the wrong figures and took out the red/white set! Doh! Still, really enjoyed the game and the many others with my Dad. Sadly, his health deteriorated and he wasn't able to go for several years later in life. But I still remember those days with such fondness. His name is on the Atyeo statue, along with mine and my son's - I started the cycle again with him when he was about 8. Time moves on, the pain recedes but the happy memories remain. RIP fellow red.

Still remember walking out the vomitorium (sorry @Dollymarie) holding my Dads hand and seeing all these people in the mismatch stadium that was Ashton Gate in 2001. The smell of cigarette smoke, the noise and the colour. Most of us were taken by our Dads, and we owe them so much, but football holds so many great memories. RIP mate

I lost my Dad too, a couple of years after my Mum. They were a huge influence on me becoming a fan I'm sure, but for various reasons I only ever went to one match with them, and that was as an adult. I'm very sad we never went to more. There was no chance he would have taken me as a child, men went to football not children, especially girls. But whenever we saw eachother or talked on the phone the main topic of conversation was often football. How I wish I could have those conversations again now.

My thoughts are with you @Jerseybean, part of the grieving makes you feel like you are the only one going through this horrible time at the moment, and nobody else understands as they all seem happy. Judging by this thread you aren't alone, we are here if you need us #OTIBFamily

6 hours ago, Bourne End Red said:

Sorry for your loss mate.

My dad died in may this year at the age of 69. Sadly after battling with his mental health for a long time, he couldn’t go on and took his own life.

He was a season ticket holder and was a big fan of bobby Reid. Such a shame he hasn’t been able to see his transformation this season.

You will never stop missing the ones close to you, but life does and must go on.

RIP to your dad.

That is terribly sad. Hope you are doing ok, and have someone to offload to.

Sorry for your loss Jerseybean. Lost my dad 40 years ago and still miss him. I didn't realise it at the time but I lost my best friend when he went. He took me to Ashton Gate in the mid 50's for my first game and I became a red that day forever.Condolences to all fans who have lost a loved one. Cherish what you have while you can. R.I.P

2 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

That is terribly sad. Hope you are doing ok, and have someone to offload to.

Thanks mate, yeah am doing ok thanks, it's a massive hole in my life, not gonna lie.

Massively miss our chats about city and the half time text reports he would give me if I wasn't at the games. Depression is a dreadful illness.

11 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Thank you everyone, I wasn’t sure about posting this but glad I decided to, your comments and thoughts are greatly appreciated. Special thanks to Robin TBW for suggesting a plinth plate on the Atyeo Statue (I fear I may be too late but I’m exploring this).

Last night I was very mindful of all the youngsters there with their dad’s / families. So many young fans which is great for the future of the club.

I don’t have any kids of my own, but last night I took my 10 year old Godson, so it’s like passing the baton on to the next generation.

13 hours ago, BS15_RED said:

I don’t have any kids of my own, but last night I took my 10 year old Godson, so it’s like passing the baton on to the next generation.

Nowt wrong with that. I intend to take my 12 year old neffy poo (by marriage). His dad isn't really into football, he prefers boxing but my nephew is slowly waking up to the fact that his mates go to AG every Saturday and he wants a taste of the action too. So soon, they'll be another convert to the Church of City.

On 10/24/2017 at 22:57, BS4 on Tour... said:

Best wishes to you and your family mate....every time I walk into Ashton Gate I still look up into Dolman Block B and the exact seats where me and my dear old Dad sat at my first ever game ....a 0-2 home defeat to Forest over 40 years ago...a special memory....hope your memories give you comfort....

Same here. Always have a look down to where the ramp into the Open End used to be and have a little smile to myself

@Jerseybean - all the best, 26 years for me since we lost Dad. Remember the good times

On 24/10/2017 at 22:48, Jerseybean said:

Awful news my best wishes go out to you and your family

On 10/25/2017 at 13:20, REDPJ said:

Sorry to hear of your loss. My Dad took me to my first game in John Atyeo's final season; first game against Bolton, second against Wolves on Boxing Day. I was given Subbuteo for Christmas - the standard teams supplied were red/white and blue/white. Dad arranged for the blue/white team figures to be exchanged for a set of figures in Wolves colours. Unfortunately, the bloke in the shop (a gashead) switched the wrong figures and took out the red/white set! Doh! Still, really enjoyed the game and the many others with my Dad. Sadly, his health deteriorated and he wasn't able to go for several years later in life. But I still remember those days with such fondness. His name is on the Atyeo statue, along with mine and my son's - I started the cycle again with him when he was about 8. Time moves on, the pain recedes but the happy memories remain. RIP fellow red.

That was my first game as well - Ed Hopkinson, the former England goalkeeper in goal for Bolton. City won 1-0.

My father died quite recently as well, so a bit too emotional to post more after reading this thread.

Just noticed this thread. Thoughts go out to @Jerseybean. Having had both parents pass away in recent years I can empathise with how awful it all feels. Whilst he was a Gashead my dad took me to my first City games and our rivalry and banter continued until the end: indeed the last day I saw my dad alive was in the pub before I headed off to AG with my niece.

The pain eventually goes. The memories, both good and bad, will stay with you.

On 24/10/2017 at 22:51, Robin TBW said:

Lost my Dad three years ago too. Grew up sitting beside the tunnel in the Atyeo stand with him. Glad he aimed me towards Ashton Gate instead of the other side.

Suggestion for you, see if you can still get a plaque added to the Atyeo statue. I've got one with my Dad and my names on. Forever at the Gate now.

Wanted to thank you Robin TBW, having followed up your suggestion I received this promising reply today:

Possible fourth and final set of names on the Atyeo Statue

Thank you for your enquiry to have your dad's name on the plinth of the Atyeo Statue.

You will know the statue is in a prominent position in the new stadium approach.

There have been three separate additions of names on the plinth and the last set is very close to the ground.

We had not considered another batch possible but because there is a trickle of requests coming in we may offer just one more chance limited to one complete band of names.

If this happens it will be near the end of the current season.

You will have to understand that any new names will be very low down and that the cost is £100.

I have kept your contact details to reserve you a place and to update you when a decision is made.

In the meantime, what is your dad's first name please?

You may have a total of up to 25 characters including spaces.

35 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Wanted to thank you Robin TBW, having followed up your suggestion I received this promising reply today:

Possible fourth and final set of names on the Atyeo Statue

Thank you for your enquiry to have your dad's name on the plinth of the Atyeo Statue.

You will know the statue is in a prominent position in the new stadium approach.

There have been three separate additions of names on the plinth and the last set is very close to the ground.

We had not considered another batch possible but because there is a trickle of requests coming in we may offer just one more chance limited to one complete band of names.

If this happens it will be near the end of the current season.

You will have to understand that any new names will be very low down and that the cost is £100.

I have kept your contact details to reserve you a place and to update you when a decision is made.

In the meantime, what is your dad's first name please?

You may have a total of up to 25 characters including spaces.

No problem. I did it as soon as I noticed it become a thing and no regrets at all. Mine states "hisname and myname surname" so it's got mine and my Dad's on the plaque together which to me is nicer too than him having his name there alone. We always went together so sort of represents always being there together in a way.

41 minutes ago, Busterrimes said:

Who did you contact please mate. I lost my mum to cancer on 27 October and would like to add her name. She took me to my first game and used to work in the old Supporters club. Thought it would be fitting.

Sorry to hear of your loss, contact: blagdonmike@gmail.com

On 10/28/2017 at 01:01, PHILINFRANCE said:

That was my first game as well - Ed Hopkinson, the former England goalkeeper in goal for Bolton. City won 1-0.

My father died quite recently as well, so a bit too emotional to post more after reading this thread.

Not trying to be a pedant (particularly on such a thread as this) but if it was Atyeo's last season we drew 2-2....... both their scores were own goals from us! Hopkinson did play, also the great Wyn Davies (of Wyn & Ron Wales fame) Just saying as it might jog REDPJ's memory.:shifty:

15 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Not trying to be a pedant (particularly on such a thread as this) but if it was Atyeo's last season we drew 2-2....... both their scores were own goals from us! Hopkinson did play, also the great Wyn Davies (of Wyn & Ron Wales fame) Just saying as it might jog REDPJ's memory.:shifty:

If you were a pedant Slarti you'd also have pointed out the other in that post, namely we didn't play Wolves on Boxing Day 1965, we played them away on the 27th and home on the 28th. My late father and uncle took me to the latter as my first game (and also to marvel at the lights.) That 50 odd years later his actions have me trekking thousands of miles a season following his beloved club is not, I think, something for which I should thank him, much as my lad won't thank me if he's still doing likewise for having forced him these past 18 years.

Great consolation, however, is every time I walk into Ashton Gate I turn to what was Crackers Corner and recall the times we spent there. I hope all posters with late, City-supporting loved ones are able to do similar.

47 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

This is something that has been bothering me for some years, and, coincidentally, I discussed it at some length with my father shortly before he died.

We agreed that the first match I watched was against Bolton, a sunny Saturday afternoon in the Open End, me clinging to the railings and perched on that little white wall, John Atyeo played as did Eddie Hopkinson (I stood just behind the goal and can still picture his brylcreamed hair, green shirt and black socks) but, unfortunately, my father couldn't recall the score.  

I was (and remain) convinced City won 1-0 and have searched several sites for the teams, scores etc. but cannot find the match when City won 1-0: as you say, the records all show 2-2. Isn't memory a funny thing?

Incidentally, in reference to @BTRFTG's post, I was considered too young at the time to see the Wolves floodlight game, although my father attended, as he did the match against Southampton (Ithink) for the opening of the Dolman stand.

Archived