IGNORED

For my dad

Jerseybean

Yes, Bolton game was indeed a 2-2 draw. Also, BTRFTG is quite right - it wasn't boxing day for the Wolves game - memory playing tricks! I came across the match programme just a few days ago whilst sorting out some stuff after having moved house and noticed the date was the 28th. Still, the magic of the time was there again in my mind - me and dad at the Gate....

On 24/10/2017 at 22:48, Jerseybean said:

As a three year old my dad took me to Ashton Gate for the first time, he was a steward in the old grandstand for over 40 years. I have consequently spent the past 58 years supporting the City. He died at 5 am today aged 90. Thank you dad, rest in peace.

sorry to hear mate terrible news but like you said it was s great result for him R.i. p

Whilst I might be slightly flippant in my reply to getting my father's name on the statue.

It's fair to say that he REALLY appreciates the gesture and the fact that his grandson will be able to see it.

Appreciate that £100 isn't inexpensive, but I'd pay that all week long for that lump in throat moment when he got a bit misty eyed and realised this was there permanently.

Whilst memorials to those we have lost (or don't want to lose) can take many different forms, where better to rememer someone than a place of shared memories.

7 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

This is something that has been bothering me for some years, and, coincidentally, I discussed it at some length with my father shortly before he died.

We agreed that the first match I watched was against Bolton, a sunny Saturday afternoon in the Open End, me clinging to the railings and perched on that little white wall, John Atyeo played as did Eddie Hopkinson (I stood just behind the goal and can still picture his brylcreamed hair, green shirt and black socks) but, unfortunately, my father couldn't recall the score.  

I was (and remain) convinced City won 1-0 and have searched several sites for the teams, scores etc. but cannot find the match when City won 1-0: as you say, the records all show 2-2. Isn't memory a funny thing?

Incidentally, in reference to @BTRFTG's post, I was considered too young at the time to see the Wolves floodlight game, although my father attended, as he did the match against Southampton (Ithink) for the opening of the Dolman stand.

Sunderland :P

Reference the Wolves games in 1966. I wore a suit to the game at Molineux and went with my Dad, 1-1 draw, and was also at the home game next day with the new lights and City debut by Danny Bartley. Lost 1-0.

Didn't wear that suit again for nearly four years and by then married with a stepson and up against it financially. When I wore it I found a ten shilling note in a pocket and felt like I had won the pools!

Remember as much as you can Jerseybean. I still miss mine and he went in 1987. But love the memories.

Remember the Wolves game -absolutely freezing but warmed up when Atyeo equalised with a late header in front of the packed terracing where thousands of City fans stood with the Wolves.. Return game  memories a bit blurred. Always the same when we lose. Floodlights were very special though for a 14 year old standing at the front with his Dad and 2 older brothers on the old pre Dolman. stand. Sadly all no longer with us.

On 24/10/2017 at 22:48, Jerseybean said:

As a three year old my dad took me to Ashton Gate for the first time, he was a steward in the old grandstand for over 40 years. I have consequently spent the past 58 years supporting the City. He died at 5 am today aged 90. Thank you dad, rest in peace.

God bless-rest in peace old fellow......the great times always stay in our hearts.

Archived