IGNORED

Sunderland v City - are we good for 3 pts?

reddogkev

Looking ahead to the weekend, seems a tricky game to call as Sunderland are a bit of a mixed bag.  They are capable of scoring and conceding in equal measure.

They've drew their last 3, after being thumped by Ipswich 5-2, though I was quite surprised with their recent 3-3 Brentford draw - I would have tipped them to have lost that one.  Is this a game where anything other than a win is a disappointment?  With our contrasting places in the table, you'd have to fancy us for a win, although it could be said that a draw would still be a decent return.  Hoping that the fantastic Palace win can give the players confidence to shatter Sunderland and forget the lousy Burton and Leeds matches.

Is another Ipswich performance on the cards?

Big call to 'fancy us for the win' considering our injuries and overall context. It certainly isn't a game where 'anything other than a win is a disappointment'.

Yes, we beat Palace but two key players are out in Baker and Smith - potentially Reid too. Diedhiou is seemingly injured, Đurić isn't match fit, Paterson is coming back from illness - that's the spine of our team, two top scorers and leading assister either out of contention or not 100%. Add to that the fact we played in midweek whereas they had a rest.

We are capable of winning, but realistically draw would be a good result considering all those factors.

Sunderland are 11th in the "away" table (and we are 6th); they are bottom in the "home" table (we're 8th). They've yet to win at home. I reckon their players prefer playing away at the moment, so we have something to work with there. But they'll win a home game at some point, probably against someone taking them for granted a bit.

We didn't get much "change" out of Simon Grayson while he was at Preston, though. Not even for Greg Cunningham....

I reckon it will be very much like the Palace game but weather we take all our chances on target is another matter.

They (Sunderland) will show Prem quality at times but so long as we are solid as a unit am confidant we will eventually where them down with our pace, energy & desire.

Despite our injuries Sunderland are frail especially at the back & their lot will be under pressure to perform at home. Hopefully we will have one of our fast starts!

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Big call to 'fancy us for the win' considering our injuries and overall context. It certainly isn't a game where 'anything other than a win is a disappointment'.

Yes, we beat Palace but two key players are out in Baker and Smith - potentially Reid too. Diedhiou is seemingly injured, Đurić isn't match fit, Paterson is coming back from illness - that's the spine of our team, two top scorers and leading assister either out of contention or not 100%. Add to that the fact we played in midweek whereas they had a rest.

We are capable of winning, but realistically draw would be a good result considering all those factors.

Johnson has said he hopes to have Baker, Smith and Reid all available for the weekend as they all trained yesterday so fingers crossed. :fingerscrossed:

4 minutes ago, redcherryberry said:

I reckon it will be very much like the Palace game but weather we take all our chances on target is another matter.

They (Sunderland) will show Prem quality at times but so long as we are solid as a unit am confidant we will eventually where them down with our pace, energy & desire.

Despite our injuries Sunderland are frail especially at the back & their lot will be under pressure to perform at home. Hopefully we will have one of our fast starts!

Think Grayson is slowly starting to turn things around there with the 3 draws. You're right about their defence though, they concede far too many goals. I think a score draw is likely.

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Think Grayson is slowly starting to turn things around there with the 3 draws. You're right about their defence though, they concede far too many goals. I think a score draw is likely.

Agreed but he's still finding his best team & admitted that himself recently.  He has so many options Sunderland fans have no idea who will be in the starting 11 - bit like us last year, ha.

All I know is if that waster Adam Matthews plays any of our wingers will have a field day.

Also mate one for you, doesn't Lewis Grabban always score against us? Feels like he does...

10 minutes ago, redcherryberry said:

Agreed but he's still finding his best team & admitted that himself recently.  He has so many options Sunderland fans have no idea who will be in the starting 11 - bit like us last year, ha.

All I know is if that waster Adam Matthews plays any of our wingers will have a field day.

Also mate one for you, doesn't Lewis Grabban always score against us? Feels like he does...

Grabban has never scored against us mate, but we've gone and cursed it for Saturday now  :shocking:

Will have to keep a close eye on him and McGeady for sure.

20 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Valid points, but I'd disagree, don't think it is a big call.  I believe we are good enough for the top six, and likewise, I've had Sunderland pegged for a double relegation since the summer, so I do expect us to win on Saturday.  Even with the injuries you mention, we can still put out a very competitive team, buoyed by Tuesday's result.  On paper, a draw there isn't a shocker, but I'd be disappointed with 2 points from 9 and the subsequent slip down the table.

My colours are nailed to the mast - I've got high expectations for this season!

9 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Valid points, but I'd disagree, don't think it is a big call.  I believe we are good enough for the top six, and likewise, I've had Sunderland pegged for a double relegation since the summer, so I do expect us to win on Saturday.  Even with the injuries you mention, we can still put out a very competitive team, buoyed by Tuesday's result.  On paper, a draw there isn't a shocker, but I'd be disappointed with 2 points from 9 and the subsequent slip down the table.

My colours are nailed to the mast - I've got high expectations for this season!

Great well I love the positive prediction - I really really hope you're right.

With Sunderland, I feel they inevitably will perform better. Grayson is a seasoned manager and they have got some good players in that squad. 

I feel it's a long old trip for us and the injuries are piling up. 

That said, we've done well away from home this season so anything is possible.

Would love your prediction to be right so you can bump this thread up triumphantly on Saturday evening!

2 hours ago, RUSSEL85 said:

I think this is a game where we need a lightning start and an early goal. Their fans will get on their backs very quickly and heads will drop, quite similar to Palace. 

We didn’t have a lightening start or an early goal against Palace. 

Turned out ok..! 

5 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Looking ahead to the weekend, seems a tricky game to call as Sunderland are a bit of a mixed bag.  They are capable of scoring and conceding in equal measure.

They've drew their last 3, after being thumped by Ipswich 5-2, though I was quite surprised with their recent 3-3 Brentford draw - I would have tipped them to have lost that one.  Is this a game where anything other than a win is a disappointment?  With our contrasting places in the table, you'd have to fancy us for a win, although it could be said that a draw would still be a decent return.  Hoping that the fantastic Palace win can give the players confidence to shatter Sunderland and forget the lousy Burton and Leeds matches.

Is another Ipswich performance on the cards?

for what it's worth the daily mail expert has it as an away win.

Archived