IGNORED

Supporting two teams?

Edge1981

Because of family, I look out for Man Utd results, I do NOT however, watch them play on TV unless I'm with my family members who support them.

Because of childhood growing up here and still living here in my adult years, I look out for and am happy to see WsM win if they ever do win.

Because of birthplace being Bristol, Bristol City. This is the team that matters the most.

I will be cheering on Bristol City any day of the week.

16 minutes ago, El Hombrecito said:

Surely you're now in the three team camp? ;) #AúpaAtleti 

Ha, true.

Feel more like a visitor at times. Not enough suffering. 

It was a strange feeling of guilt knowing that even though i paid a fortune for  champs league ticket, a long term fan missed out.

I dont understand it either. Most people I know like their local side or one of the big Prem boys. I enjoy the prem but simply as a neutral. I dont get it especially when them fans also are the first ones to laugh at Bristol City when imo it is a huge cop out supporting 2 sides like that.

Only team for me is and always will be Bristol City.

10 minutes ago, BA14 RED said:

I dont understand it either. Most people I know like their local side or one of the big Prem boys. I enjoy the prem but simply as a neutral. I dont get it especially when them fans also are the first ones to laugh at Bristol City when imo it is a huge cop out supporting 2 sides like that.

Only team for me is and always will be Bristol City.

What if your local team has changed?

Plenty of us have moved away from Bristol. Are we not allowed to watch other teams whilst retaining our love of City?

Plenty of other have moved to Bristol from other places. Are they forbidden from supporting City unless they give up their original team?

I support Bristol City.

I've lived in Shrewsbury, Livingston and Portugal for various periods and have a real soft spot for Shrews, Livi and Academica of Coimbra.

I also always look for results of Cardiff City as my Dad used to take me there as a boy, Sheff Utd because of a good experience at Bramall Lane in 1958 when meeting all their team before the match, Bath City, Leicester City, Exeter, Plymouth, Hertha Berlin and lots of others because I'm interested in football. Like many of my age, I had a real soft spot for Man U after Munich but Tommy Docherty's rants after we beat them twice at Old Trafford in the late 70's killed any affection I had.

But I repeat, I support Bristol City, have done since I was five and hope to last a few more years before the grim reaper calls. It probably will not happen, but I'd love to see us stuff them this time! 

4 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

What if your local team has changed?

Plenty of us have moved away from Bristol. Are we not allowed to watch other teams whilst retaining our love of City?

Plenty of other have moved to Bristol from other places. Are they forbidden from supporting City unless they give up their original team?

I still dont get it. You can 'like' your new local side but surely there is no feeling like celebrating a City win? The difference between supporting and liking is a big difference IMO.

Unashamed fan of both City and Liverpool. Apologies, that was Michael Owen's fault.

City obviously take precedence, but since both going to Ashton Gate and Owen for England got me into football at pretty much exactly the same time, I take no issue in following Liverpool too. 

It doesn't make me any less a City fan, and if someone tries to tell me it does, I would laugh in their face.

1 minute ago, BA14 RED said:

I still dont get it. You can 'like' your new local side but surely there is no feeling like celebrating a City win? The difference between supporting and liking is a big difference IMO.

Oh absolutely.

I cheer when Guiseley score and like to see them win, but if I'm quite honest I preferred it when they were at the top end of Conference North, rather than the bottom of the National as they are now. The new manager is a Pulis type and he may well keep them up but it's horrible to watch. I'd rather they played good football and went down than bad football and stayed up. I would never think that about City.

That said, I've never really been one for joining in chants, and I get over poor results pretty quickly, so maybe by some definitions I don't "support" any teams at all.

I suspect there may be two camps here. There are those that have been born and brought up and lived in one place all their lives - they can't really comprehend any thing else.

In this day and age though, there are a lot (a large minority?) with connections to more places.

19 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I suspect there may be two camps here. There are those that have been born and brought up and lived in one place all their lives - they can't really comprehend any thing else.

In this day and age though, there are a lot (a large minority?) with connections to more places.

Agree with this - I lived in Swansea for 6 years for uni and afterwards.

Despite arriving just after they'd hammered us 7 to 1 (which was fun when meeting all their fans!) my Swansea friends cheered us on in our Championship play off final with Hull.  In return I cheered on Swansea in their Championship play off final - but admit a bit of jealousy when they actually won it!

Even though I might keep an eye on them and wish them well (and on visits back to Swansea I'm shocked how much it's changing due to the money the Premiership is bringing to the area), if we met them I'd still want us to destroy them 7 -1 back!

My mothers side of the family originally come from Lancashire and my granddad was a massive man utd fan and as a child got me into them. I always had bristol city as my local team as a kid as my old man took me to a few games but man united was my main team as a kid. I joined bridgewater reds supporters club shortly after i started working when i was 17 (23 now) and did that for a couple of seasons with my cousin, would go to about 10-15 games in the seasons but come the end i got fed up with the travelling, he still goes though. After that i started going to city games regularly and with in a couple of seasons bought myself a season ticket. I always say i support city because to be honest i have very little interest in united now, still like them to do well but in an overall view don't care much for them now.

Got my tin hat ready :fear:

1 hour ago, Benjiman_LFC said:

I was in the away end in 1994. Didn't go to Anfield thank goodness.

So was I. For the first game. Then the East End for the second. And then along the side in the old Kemlyn Road stand for the third at Anfield.

Rough lot mind, them Scousers.

5 hours ago, rooted said:

Moved to Bristol from London 25 years ago, used to go to Highbury but couldn’t afford to once I’d moved - so, went to City v Port Vale in 1994, I think (0-0 I think, awful game) and have been going ever since - still keep an eye on Arsenal (and, yes, they still wind me up a bit) but City are my team. My wife worked at AG and my kids are born and bred City fans and ST holders. If City were playing Arsenal I’d only be supporting one team.

We're starting to play like Arsenal (a bit. The tippy tappy passing stuff). Well, Arsenal with a couple of brick sh1thouses at the back.

8 hours ago, Edge1981 said:

This may have been done before (I’m sure it has) but the cup draw has got me thinking about how people support two teams. I know a couple of City season ticket holders who are also Manchester fans (both born and bread in Manchester) Both will be going and in the home end but say it’s the will be quietly supporting the away team. I just don’t get it? I’ve never supported any other club other than City and just don’t understand it. 

How do these fans support City but also support a premiership team?

I know city fans who also support Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea, Newcastle, Everton and Southampton. Funny that their support of the other team is a watching them when they are on Sky and maybe making a trip to watch them once every three seasons. They would still say that the Premier League team is their first team and City are their second despite going fairly regularly to watch City play  

Anyone else care care to admit to supporting another team and explain how supporting two teams work. Who would you support if City played the other team?

I like spurs, not as much as city, it makes the prem a bit more interesting like having a bet when you have an interest in who wins

24 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I support Bristol City and Partick Thistle - long story but have supported them both for the same amount of time...

When we played them in the Anglo Scottish Cup I supported City...

I was in Glasgow this week and went to watch the Hamilton vs Partick game. Shocking advert for scottish football. Hamilton didn't have a shot on target.

Archived