IGNORED

City players at school

Hellfire Corner

I’m loving all the nostalgic threads on here. Here’s another for you. Let’s have your stories about City players that were in the same school as you or you grew up with or knew.

Here’s mine - As a very nervous 11 year old, on arriving for my first day at Merrywood Grammar and being football mad a number of us soon were kicking a ball around at break and lunchtime and it soon became clear that one particular lad was rather tasty on the ball. I soon got to know him as he was in the same form as me. We had a rather successful team for the next few years and I managed to just scrape into the team I think for a total of about three games. We had a rather fetching green and black kit I think!!! That young lads name - Keith Fear.

Also, my oldest brother told me that he was at school with David Rodgers. He attended Cotham. Anyone out there confirm this? Sadly I can’t ask him as he is no longer with us. He was a season ticket holder and although when he was young he used to wind me up and say he was a Rovers fan, he soon saw the light! I do smile though when I think about the last time he was down at Ashton Gate. The 8-2 match v Walsall.

Over to you!

1 hour ago, Hellfire Corner said:

I’m loving all the nostalgic threads on here. Here’s another for you. Let’s have your stories about City players that were in the same school as you or you grew up with or knew.

Here’s mine - As a very nervous 11 year old, on arriving for my first day at Merrywood Grammar and being football mad a number of us soon were kicking a ball around at break and lunchtime and it soon became clear that one particular lad was rather tasty on the ball. I soon got to know him as he was in the same form as me. We had a rather successful team for the next few years and I managed to just scrape into the team I think for a total of about three games. We had a rather fetching green and black kit I think!!! That young lads name - Keith Fear.

Also, my oldest brother told me that he was at school with David Rodgers. He attended Cotham. Anyone out there confirm this? Sadly I can’t ask him as he is no longer with us. He was a season ticket holder and although when he was young he used to wind me up and say he was a Rovers fan, he soon saw the light! I do smile though when I think about the last time he was down at Ashton Gate. The 8-2 match v Walsall.

Over to you!

Hi HC I can confirm that David Rodgers did go to Cotham Grammar School.

1 hour ago, Hellfire Corner said:

Over to you!

Was the sports teacher Jim ...?

i recall Keith Fear being in the school team, never good enough myself but there until '71. 

Mr Parry the French teacher, Mr Plant - the biology teacher etc. 

When they moved to Daventry Rd it was just around the corner, too late for me then. 

Remember school basketball match. Keith Fear on one side, David Rodgers the other. Merrywood v Cotham.

Played alongside Kevin Mabbutt. He was in the first team a good 3 years younger than anyone else.

And whilst on the subject, school v Old Boys at cricket featured A Milton, J Mortimore and D Allen (and his brother I think).

1 hour ago, Moor2Sea said:

Wouldn't be surprised if David Rogers went to Cotham, as his sister played for our school team and most of our lot went on to Cotham.

I went to Henbury, we had Ian Broomfield a few years ahead of me. 

Not quite the same, but went to school with Rodgers wife to be !

Oh and also at school with (our very own) Bert Tann's daughter, Jackie !

Archived