IGNORED

City players at school

Hellfire Corner

1 hour ago, Hellfire Corner said:

As far as I know he didn’t go to West Town Lane, that was my primary school, though I was there a few years before him. I think Julian Dicks went to Novers Lane???

Sure the Dicks twins, Julian and Grantley went to Connaught Rd Junior school as they lived in Kenmare Rd Knowle West. I also lived in KW and played with their father Ronnie, who had been on Rovers book's, for the Venture Sunday team. And if I remember correctly the twins were signed by Birmingham City as youngsters and went off to Brum to complete their education.

Also in the same year and played with Trevor Taunton at Hengove School. Ray Cashley, a left back, was a couple of years behind us.

Colin Lee. (the gas remember him so well)

Played against him in school and youth football. Also played in the same side as his Two brothers.

Mental Franey and Mike Lee were blokes you wanted in your team and not playing against.

Once played in a local cup final where Mike and the opposition center half were sent off for fighting. They went back to the changing rooms and carried on with the punch up.

Have to say all three were different gravy.

1 hour ago, williamsredngrey said:

Was the sports teacher Jim ...?

i recall Keith Fear being in the school team, never good enough myself but there until '71. 

Mr Parry the French teacher, Mr Plant - the biology teacher etc. 

When they moved to Daventry Rd it was just around the corner, too late for me then. 

There was a ****** of a woodwork teacher, Mr Alexander I think, used to beat us with our own bits of wood if we planed or sawed it the wrong way. Today it would be gbh! Deputy head was Kipper ( can’t remember his proper name)

1 hour ago, williamsredngrey said:

Was the sports teacher Jim ...?

i recall Keith Fear being in the school team, never good enough myself but there until '71. 

Mr Parry the French teacher, Mr Plant - the biology teacher etc. 

When they moved to Daventry Rd it was just around the corner, too late for me then. 

We could have been classmates!

10 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

Sure the Dicks twins, Julian and Grantley went to Connaught Rd Junior school as they lived in Kenmare Rd Knowle West. I also lived in KW and played with their father Ronnie, who had been on Rovers book's, for the Venture Sunday team. And if I remember correctly the twins were signed by Birmingham City as youngsters and went off to Brum to complete their education.

Also in the same year and played with Trevor Taunton at Hengove School. Ray Cashley, a left back, was a couple of years behind us.

Well my dad went to Connaught Rd and was brought up in Kenmare Rd.

I believe Alfie Biggs went there and was in year below my dad?

2 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

Not City but Julian Dicks was in my year in school ( also Merrywood ) .

Not City related but two other Merrywood sportsmen were athlete Nick Rose (in my year and who probably still holds school the mile record - he lapped me!!) and Ryder cup golfer Gordon Brand Jr who was about 5 years younger.

3 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

Not City but Julian Dicks was in my year in school ( also Merrywood ) .

Played against him for Broadwalk whilst he was at Raleigh Sports.  I played a year up, he played a year down because he had a late August birthday.  Lost 11-0, he scored 8!

Played against Paul Mardon (Hengrove v Merrywood)

Steve Yates (Hengrove v Brislington)

David Lee (Chelsea - Broadwalk v Aiden Sports)

Darren Peacock was in my brother’s year at Hengrove - years above me.

Jason Drysdale (son of Speedy and Watford etc) (Tyning v Waycroft)

Not City related but two other Merrywood sportsmen were athlete Nick Rose (in my year and who probably still holds school the mile record - he lapped me!!) and Ryder cup golfer Gordon Brand Jr who was about 5 years younger.

I played in goal for the same team as Keith Fear at Merrywood.  Keith, my cousin and myself also played for Bristol Boys in every age group. When we got to to U15's Keith didn't make it through the trial but got in when the selected player got injured.  I got through the trial but the school wouldn't let me leave early to go to training every week.

Ray Cashley was a defender in the Bristol Boys team that year and was signed as such by City.  Rest is history.

Nick Rose still runs.  I see him every Wednesday running across the Suspension Bridge.

I guess I was in same year as you.

3 hours ago, Moor2Sea said:

Wouldn't be surprised if David Rogers went to Cotham, as his sister played for our school team and most of our lot went on to Cotham.

I went to Henbury, we had Ian Broomfield a few years ahead of me. 

Was in the same year as Ian used to play football with him, he was always the star of the game

I remember when at Hengrove  Ray Cashley used to set himself up in the goal nearest to the main school exit with a collection of footballs so that the lads could take shots at him on their way home.

Think the training methods have changed a bit since then.

Not school related but I also remember  my dad working in the No. 4 Wills factory in Raleigh Road and he used to walk up to Luckwell Road at lunchtime for a pint in their  bar. It was always busy with City players on the snooker table. The  same players were also friendly with a local taxi driver at Whitchurch  where I lived and would turn up late on a Sunday morning chucking stones at his bedroom window trying to wake him.

12 hours ago, Hellfire Corner said:

I’m loving all the nostalgic threads on here. Here’s another for you. Let’s have your stories about City players that were in the same school as you or you grew up with or knew.

Here’s mine - As a very nervous 11 year old, on arriving for my first day at Merrywood Grammar and being football mad a number of us soon were kicking a ball around at break and lunchtime and it soon became clear that one particular lad was rather tasty on the ball. I soon got to know him as he was in the same form as me. We had a rather successful team for the next few years and I managed to just scrape into the team I think for a total of about three games. We had a rather fetching green and black kit I think!!! That young lads name - Keith Fear.

Also, my oldest brother told me that he was at school with David Rodgers. He attended Cotham. Anyone out there confirm this? Sadly I can’t ask him as he is no longer with us. He was a season ticket holder and although when he was young he used to wind me up and say he was a Rovers fan, he soon saw the light! I do smile though when I think about the last time he was down at Ashton Gate. The 8-2 match v Walsall.

Over to you!

interesting, i started that day as well, Keith Fear and I came from Filwood school, my house was Danes,  David Rogers [big lad] was at Cotham, my mate from Filwood went there, i think a guy called Chub was the PE master at Merrywood, vindictive bugger he was, 

21 minutes ago, WarksRed said:

interesting, i started that day as well, Keith Fear and I came from Filwood school, my house was Danes,  David Rogers [big lad] was at Cotham, my mate from Filwood went there, i think a guy called Chub was the PE master at Merrywood, vindictive bugger he was, 

Danes (house colour Yellow I believe) always came last in sports day!! 

i was in Britains (best house and RED of course!!)

others were Normans (Blue?) and Saxons (Green?)

Growing up in Somerset I didn't have any City football players in my school. A few played for various youth teams but never made it as far as I know. Clive Whitehead was friends with my club manager, that's about as close as I got to any City connection growing up!  I played cricket with and against some lads that went on to make it, Ben Hollioake (RIP), Chris Read, Dean Cosker, but that's for the non football forum! 

Love this thread though, find these old stories really interesting. 

Danes (house colour Yellow I believe) always came last in sports day!! 

i was in Britains (best house and RED of course!!)

others were Normans (Blue?) and Saxons (Green?)

yea, Danes rarely won anything, often wonder what happened to some of the lads who stood out, Nick Rose [gashead] went to college in USA with his running, moved away from Bristol over 30 years ago, so loose track even more .

played a few games in goal for the school, when they were desperate, Remember Wayne Jones, Keith Fear and I played Cricket for Bedminster, i went out with Jantzen Derricks sister for a while, lots of memories from those days. was living near The Catholic Church and School at Filwood Broadway at that time, 

17 minutes ago, WarksRed said:

yea, Danes rarely won anything, often wonder what happened to some of the lads who stood out, Nick Rose [gashead] went to college in USA with his running, moved away from Bristol over 30 years ago, so loose track even more .

played a few games in goal for the school, when they were desperate, Remember Wayne Jones, Keith Fear and I played Cricket for Bedminster, i went out with Jantzen Derricks sister for a while, lots of memories from those days. was living near The Catholic Church and School at Filwood Broadway at that time, 

Hartcliffe Road boy myself.

Alfie Biggs lived around the corner on the corner of Newquay Rd and Throgmorton Road and Josser  Watling lived in Leinster Ave, both ex gas, just Gordie Parr being the City representative then and I went to the same boys club, Broad Plain House, Josser also an ex member.

Love this thread, but as a 50yo and ex of West Town Lane infant/junior school, followed by Brislington (last two years spent at their Wick Road academy for extra bright kids (not!)).... I cannot remember any stand out footballers. but on the positive side my last few years at briz/wick road did mean I spent a fair bit of time in the same class of a a certain Sarah Thorne, who was utterly gorgous (in looks AND personality to be fair) and went on to be model and featured on page 3 of a certain newspaper.....   She was truely lovely in all ways and well worth a google...

7 minutes ago, brady bunch said:

Love this thread, but as a 50yo and ex of West Town Lane infant/junior school, followed by Brislington (last two years spent at their Wick Road academy for extra bright kids (not!)).... I cannot remember any stand out footballers. but on the positive side my last few years at briz/wick road did mean I spent a fair bit of time in the same class of a a certain Sarah Thorne, who was utterly gorgous (in looks AND personality to be fair) and went on to be model and featured on page 3 of a certain newspaper.....   She was truely lovely in all ways and well worth a google...

Was she left or right footed? Was she good in the air? So many questions!

Archived