IGNORED

City players at school

Hellfire Corner

4 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

Darren Hawkins (RIP) was in the year below me at Downend School.

My parents also briefly lived a few doors away from the Brown family (Aaron and Marvin) whilst they were City youngsters.

My wife was in the same year at Downend as Darren Hawkins. Alex 'Igor' Ball (now u-23 manager or something) was the year below me at St Mary Redcliffe.

19 minutes ago, brady bunch said:

Sarah Thorne, on the left of this image, which I think is hopefully okay for the mod's!

She was a thing of beauty, it was just like watching Mark Gavin and Bobby Taylor at their best for city in 1989.....

original-1985-sun-page-double-glamour sarah thorne.jpg

How did you get your hands on preliminary pics for the Vixens kit for next season?

2 hours ago, redysteadygo said:

Hartcliffe Road boy myself.

Alfie Biggs lived around the corner on the corner of Newquay Rd and Throgmorton Road and Josser  Watling lived in Leinster Ave, both ex gas, just Gordie Parr being the City representative then and I went to the same boys club, Broad Plain House, Josser also an ex member.

This is getting scary  :laugh: ,,    i was from  71 Hartcliffe road  !

Kevin and Gary Mabbutt joined my Primary School as older pupils at the start of my last year there.

Gary was quite young but Kevin was of school team age (10) but couldn't get in the team, or even the squad, even though many us had been in the team the season before our final year.

Alan Dicks' daughter joined the school at about the same time, the arrival of 3 of them causing quite a stir.

11 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Kevin and Gary Mabbutt joined my Primary School as older pupils at the start of my last year there.

Gary was quite young but Kevin was of school team age (10) but couldn't get in the team, or even the squad, even though many us had been in the team the season before our final year.

Alan Dicks' daughter joined the school at about the same time, the arrival of 3 of them causing quite a stir.

I interviewed Alan Dicks once, whilst dressed in a farmer's smock..., on the HTV show 'Ten on Saturday' - Richard Wyatt & Su Ingle?

Dicks parted company with City before the show aired....

IMG_2779.JPG

I faced a few fast balls from Keith Fear.... didn't see one of them!!!

Was in the same year as Cash at Hengrove.  He was a good allround sportsman,  took me right out during rugby once. Still remember the pain!

Didn't ever see him in goal though.

8 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

Darren Hawkins (RIP) was in the year below me at Downend School.

My parents also briefly lived a few doors away from the Brown family (Aaron and Marvin) whilst they were City youngsters.

I lived couple of doors away from them,Could always hear a football in the back garden,I  know their mum quite well.

Played against Paul Mardon who of course played for City, Brum and WBA amongst others. He was at Parson St when I was at Ashton Gate primary. Also played for Hanham alongside Steve Yates (Gas and QPR).

Ian Willmott (Gas) was a couple of years above as Ashton Park school.

16 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Played against him for Broadwalk whilst he was at Raleigh Sports.  I played a year up, he played a year down because he had a late August birthday.  Lost 11-0, he scored 8!

Played against Paul Mardon (Hengrove v Merrywood)

Steve Yates (Hengrove v Brislington)

David Lee (Chelsea - Broadwalk v Aiden Sports)

Darren Peacock was in my brother’s year at Hengrove - years above me.

Jason Drysdale (son of Speedy and Watford etc) (Tyning v Waycroft)

I never knew Julian played for my old club Raleigh Sports.

When Jantzen Derrick came to the City, his son Paul was placed in the same primary school as me. (Yes, I'm that old.)

< And as for the heavy brigade at Merrywood, I can remember Ken Plant as the biology teacher, Alexander was my form tutor (!), and as an even more bizarre aside, my first tutor was Keith Warmington - he of Radio Bristol fame. Who knew that school was the foundry of so much... >

Blimey! Merrywood, Downton Rd, late 50's,. great memories from there. School prefect was a guy named Rolls. It was like something out of Tom Browns schooldays. Mortar boards and gowns. Frightening for an 11 year old. Cant remember my teachers name but he had a huge nose. Maybe Fairweather?

Was in the same class as Paul Randall at school in Glastonbury for 5 years.  We were good friends and I knew his family well. Was later at Hengrove where Ray Cashley and Trevor Tainton went, though they are a bit older than me.

I do believe I remember Trever Tainton having a younger brother named Tony, who was a bit of a Rugby player I think.

Later, sank some pints in pubs with Paul Cheesely and Trevor Jacobs.  Back in the 80's quite a few city players would go to the Mariner on a Sunday lunchtime.

43 minutes ago, marmite said:

Blimey! Merrywood, Downton Rd, late 50's,. great memories from there. School prefect was a guy named Rolls. It was like something out of Tom Browns schooldays. Mortar boards and gowns. Frightening for an 11 year old. Cant remember my teachers name but he had a huge nose. Maybe Fairweather?

If anyone is interested, there is a Merrywood school reunion on Thursday at Star and Dove in St Luke's Road.

i also went to merrywood,assistant head was mr kerr,nicknamed kipper.a mr budge ran the 1st year football team when I was there.played against kevin mabbutt(cotham) drew 3 all ,I think he scored a hat trick!we used to play in green & black quarters & the socks were thick woolen type which when wet felt like you were carrying an extra 10lbs on each foot

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Was in the same class as Paul Randall at school in Glastonbury for 5 years.  We were good friends and I knew his family well. Was later at Hengrove where Ray Cashley and Trevor Tainton went, though they are a bit older than me.

I do believe I remember Trever Tainton having a younger brother named Tony, who was a bit of a Rugby player I think.

Later, sank some pints in pubs with Paul Cheesely and Trevor Jacobs.  Back in the 80's quite a few city players would go to the Mariner on a Sunday lunchtime.

Played against Paul a number of times.  Massive respect for his love of playing.  Decent chap, and never lost that knack of knowing where the ball woukd end up in the 6 yard box.

Played against Keith Curke at school. I was Left Back, he was Right Wing. He was lightning. Was pleased when our  Centre Back went off injured and I moved inside . Would it have been Merrywood he went ? Would he have been in the same team as Wayne Bray as I think he played the same match . It was a 4-4 draw . 

22 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Not quite the same, but went to school with Rodgers wife to be !

Oh and also at school with (our very own) Bert Tann's daughter, Jackie !

We must have gone to the same school CSGS 1963 - 1968  and one of our ex-directors, John Laycock, was there at the same time

Went to Chase School For Boys in Mangotsfield, future players at the school the same time as me were Andy Llewelyn, Keith Curle, Gary Penrice, Shaun Pinker & several other lads who went on to play rugby for Bristol. Inter house football matches were always very intense & competitive !!!

I went to school with our latest sensation, bobby Reid. City academy. Ironically he was not even the best player in our year. Most skillful yes, but at least two or three players ahead of him. He had a bad attitude and was pretty small. I once crunched him in a slide tackle whilst trying out for the school team. So when I saw him make his debut against hull a few years ago I couldn't believe he made it. I have kept up with his progress and for years I thought he was our weak link, tbh whenever he was in the team I used to think nooo! But I'm glad he finally has found his feet and banging the goals in! So props to ya bobby Reid!

Archived