IGNORED

City players at school

Hellfire Corner

On 31/10/2017 at 19:26, shelts said:

Jason Fowler City , Ian Kilford Wigan, Bobby Ford  Oxford were all in my school team at Bemmy Down. Played with Andy Johnson WBA with Bristol Boys. All different class 

Met Kilford’s taxi driving Dad once, told me his son would’ve given anything to play for City, dunno how much is true though? I was like 13

On 31/10/2017 at 19:49, redapple said:

Played against Keith Curke at school. I was Left Back, he was Right Wing. He was lightning. Was pleased when our  Centre Back went off injured and I moved inside . Would it have been Merrywood he went ? Would he have been in the same team as Wayne Bray as I think he played the same match . It was a 4-4 draw . 

Wayne was Withywood, my bruv uses him for his chippy skills.  No idea where Curle went, but Google says The Chase....is that Kingswood?

On 31/10/2017 at 08:00, WarksRed said:

interesting, i started that day as well, Keith Fear and I came from Filwood school, my house was Danes,  David Rogers [big lad] was at Cotham, my mate from Filwood went there, i think a guy called Chub was the PE master at Merrywood, vindictive bugger he was, 

We must have all been in the same class ?

I played with Keith for the football team along with another good player by the name of John York.

I was always in detention and even got detention while in detention.Regularly got the cane from Davies.

Slapped kipper Kerr once as well.

Keith opened a sports shop at the top of Park st and recently had a kidney transplant donated by his brother..

Mr Plant was ok.

10 hours ago, BobbyC said:

We must have all been in the same class ?

I played with Keith for the football team along with another good player by the name of John York.

I was always in detention and even got detention while in detention.Regularly got the cane from Davies.

Slapped kipper Kerr once as well.

Keith opened a sports shop at the top of Park st and recently had a kidney transplant donated by his brother..

Mr Plant was ok.

John York was in the cricket team as well, along with Andy Orchard, Colin Pickford ?, you can remember the faces, names not as easy tho, Paul Delaney, Geoff Smart, Mr Chub was English and Gym, Alexander Alexander was woodwork ?, Dennis Palmer, Peter Moore, footy was normally City v Rovers at break time, normally finished up 15 of us playing 5 of them, support size was still about 2 to 1 back then,  

23 minutes ago, WarksRed said:

John York was in the cricket team as well, along with Andy Orchard, Colin Pickford ?, you can remember the faces, names not as easy tho, Paul Delaney, Geoff Smart, Mr Chub was English and Gym, Alexander Alexander was woodwork ?, Dennis Palmer, Peter Moore, footy was normally City v Rovers at break time, normally finished up 15 of us playing 5 of them, support size was still about 2 to 1 back then,  

Who was the maths teacher?

:whistle:

On 31/10/2017 at 19:26, shelts said:

Jason Fowler City , Ian Kilford Wigan, Bobby Ford  Oxford were all in my school team at Bemmy Down. Played with Andy Johnson WBA with Bristol Boys. All different class 

A few names I recognise there. My age group that is.

how about ex-city players at school! I was at the rather posh Clifton College where Dave Rogers was doing football coaching for several years (and possibly still is). I remember him telling me to 'stop rolling around and get up' while I was thrashing about on a muddy pitch in the late 80s. I did what he said and never went down under a soft challenge again! weirdly, he never coached any of the senior teams we had, though that might have changed. I believe he stayed at Clifton for many, many years after I left though - I remember him as being very stern and serious. Of course, at the time I never recognized what a legend he was - the shame is mine! 

On 30/10/2017 at 19:52, Hellfire Corner said:

I’m loving all the nostalgic threads on here. Here’s another for you. Let’s have your stories about City players that were in the same school as you or you grew up with or knew.

Here’s mine - As a very nervous 11 year old, on arriving for my first day at Merrywood Grammar and being football mad a number of us soon were kicking a ball around at break and lunchtime and it soon became clear that one particular lad was rather tasty on the ball. I soon got to know him as he was in the same form as me. We had a rather successful team for the next few years and I managed to just scrape into the team I think for a total of about three games. We had a rather fetching green and black kit I think!!! That young lads name - Keith Fear.

Also, my oldest brother told me that he was at school with David Rodgers. He attended Cotham. Anyone out there confirm this? Sadly I can’t ask him as he is no longer with us. He was a season ticket holder and although when he was young he used to wind me up and say he was a Rovers fan, he soon saw the light! I do smile though when I think about the last time he was down at Ashton Gate. The 8-2 match v Walsall.

Over to you!

Keith Fear is my dad’s cousin.

Not from school as I went to school in Glasgow, but at a younger age my missus at the time’s best mate was shacked up with Liam Rosenior so I had the misfortune of spending a lot of time in his presence. They are now married.

On 31/10/2017 at 14:43, 42nite said:

I faced a few fast balls from Keith Fear.... didn't see one of them!!!

Was in the same year as Cash at Hengrove.  He was a good allround sportsman,  took me right out during rugby once. Still remember the pain!

Didn't ever see him in goal though.

I was in same year as Cash, do you remember John Atyeo doing some teaching at Hengrove ?

Yes remember Big John teaching at Hengrove, nearly fell down the stairs the first time I saw him turn onto the staircase from the corridor.

Doc Perry was the "guvnor" when I was there as I was in the same year as Trevor Tainton and p!ayed in the same school team as I have already mentioned in this thread.

So we had the two players with most appearances for City in the same school, teacher, albeit training, and pupil, that's until Carey came along.

On 31/10/2017 at 08:22, Hellfire Corner said:

Danes (house colour Yellow I believe) always came last in sports day!! 

i was in Britains (best house and RED of course!!)

others were Normans (Blue?) and Saxons (Green?)

I was just talking to my Dad about Keith Fear this morning, his name is Andreas Tsiopani (maybe known as Andrew or Andros). You guys remember him? 

Archived