IGNORED

Ratings and Review

And Its Smith

Well that was a classic away performance wasn't it?!  Everyone was puzzled at Johnson's decision to play Reid up top on his own but the gaffer has been vindicated.  

The first twenty minutes were a bit scrappy and neither team looked too good to be honest.  Fulham had a nice 5 minutes where they hit the bar and it looked like they might score down our right.  But then we scored, a bit out of the blue and you could see what little confidence Fulham had, drain out of them.  No doubt they are a good side but they had no zip or anyone making themselves available in forward positions so it kept going side to side and we pressed them ever so well.

The second goal ended the game and there was still a fair bit of the first half left.  The second half was then a stroll for City especially after the red card.  

City did play some lovely stuff tonight, certainly when leading.  I am not convinced that Reid up front would work in all away games but it did tonight.

Fielding - 8 - good distribution.  2-3 very good saves especially one early on second half

Wright - 7 - just about dealt with Sessegnon but does make me nervous against pace

Flint - 8 - a few raking passes, confident in possession and managed Kamara very well

Magnússon - 6 - looked very nervous and I am sure he was eager to please.  Gave the ball away a few times but did do well second half when game was won and he could relax

Bryan - 7 - slow start but then was his usual self up and down the line.  Thought he could have done a bit better in the final third

Smith - 9 - I am sure everyone knows how much I love Korey Smith and tonight showed why.  An incredible performance and showed yet again how vital he is for us.  The goal was the icing on the cake but he was everyone breaking up play and very good in possession. I think he gave the ball away once in 90 mins

Pack - 7 - pressed very well and quite high at times.  Still not great in possession under pressure but better than last few games

Brownhill - 8 - another top night from him.  Was everywhere again and linked up play superbly with the COD, Reid and Paterson

Paterson - 6 - still doesnt look over his illness but was up and down and offered better protection to Bryan than he can sometimes.  Marked down from a 7 as I think, in this formation, he needs to offer a bit more around the box

COD - 8 - must be in the form of his life.  Confident on the ball.  Another assist and helped Wright out well.  Was shattered with 15 mins to go 

Reid - 8 - bit of a thankless task but stuck to it well.  Closed down as usual and got his goal.  Held the ball up okay.

Leko - 5 - not a good cameo from the loanee at all.  Seems more like a headless chicken than he did when he joined. Clearly very eager to impress.

15 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Magnússon - 6 - looked very nervous and I am sure he was eager to please.  Gave the ball away a few times but did do well second half when game was won and he could relax

Paterson - 6 - still doesnt look over his illness but was up and down and offered better protection to Bryan than he can sometimes.  Marked down from a 7 as I think, in this formation, he needs to offer a bit more around the box

Leko - 5 - not a good cameo from the loanee at all.  Seems more like a headless chicken than he did when he joined. Clearly very eager to impress.

I'd give 6.5 to Pato, and 5.5 to Leko, but I agree with the rest. 

Pisano unjudgeable, Djuric 6.

15 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Both non-enforced subs by Johnson were terrible imo, strange because this season he’s been so good when bringing on players. 

4 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I did say non-enforced pal. 

Leko was useless and Duric not needed against 10 men whom we are pressing.

So giving game time to players who need it is terrible???

:dunno:

5 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I did say non-enforced pal. 

Leko was useless and Duric not needed against 10 men whom we are pressing.

My mistake, apologies.

Yes, I agree Leko didn't do well. Djuric, benefit of the doubt as he didn't really have anything to do.

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

Amazing that your only comments tonight have been negative.  We just won two on the bounce and Fulham were tipped to be up in the play offs this season 

No need to join in with the dozens praising the team for an impressive performance, figured I’d say something that most people may not have thought about.

Good practice does not equal best practice.

Just cause I’m making a critical observation doesn’t mean that I didn’t enjoy the game as some seem to think. I appreciate there are many moaning pessimists on here but I’m by no means one of them. 

1 minute ago, Coxy27 said:

My mistake, apologies.

Yes, I agree Leko didn't do well. Djuric, benefit of the doubt as he didn't really have anything to do.

I mean the decision to bring MD on rather than his performance being terrible. I hadn’t considered the “get him up to speed” aspect of the substitution tbf. I just think we were pressing 10 men and when he came on we could no longer do it and that allowed them to get in a silly amount of shots in on goal. 

1 minute ago, Shtanley said:

No need to join in with the dozens praising the team for an impressive performance, figured I’d say something that most people may not have thought about.

Good practice does not equal best practice.

Just cause I’m making a critical observation doesn’t mean that I didn’t enjoy the game as some seem to think. I appreciate there are many moaning pessimists on here but I’m by no means one of them. 

So what's your point then?

Struggling to understand mate, to be honest.

Just now, Oops said:

So what's your point then?

Struggling to understand mate, to be honest.

My point is that recent weeks Johnson has got almost all his subs spot on in impacting the game. 

Tonight that didn’t happen, Leko was terrible and Duric changed our playing style for the worse. 

2 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

My point is that recent weeks Johnson has got almost all his subs spot on in impacting the game. 

Tonight that didn’t happen, Leko was terrible and Duric changed our playing style for the worse. 

Our playing style? at 0-2 in the championship against 10 men?

OK,  you're clearly a student of the game so I'll leave you to your expert opinion.

Apart from the score, this was a carbon copy of the 4-0 game from last year. Fulham couldn't deal with the press, and clearly Jokanovic has drilled into his side that they play out from the back under all circumstances, which quite literally played into our hands. 

Once we won the midfield battle, our goals were too easy. Meanwhile Fulham had a ton of shots, only one of which looked like going in. 

Korey Smith was absolutely outstanding, completely ran the game and played some sublime passes. O'Dowda was electric, Brownhill a terrier and Reid so often played short hold up play to open up the spaces for us. Bryan was booted around all game by Aboubakar (who had one of the most headless games I've ever seen a player have), and was striding through the middle constantly.

There's so much confidence flowing through this team right now, and tonight was exciting to watch. I think Johnson has Jokanovic sussed, and against teams like this, we'll be very successful. Cardiff's robust style will be more of a test, but a top showing tonight, real class.

I think a fairer balance here is that I understand the unenforced subs - Pato coming back from virus and option other than Leko was Eliassion, neither of whom I'd be confident in on game management, Milan needing minutes.

However, I do think it's fair to say that the combination of Leko not managing the game at all well and Milan not being as mobile did invite pressure in the last ten.

I see nothing wrong in pointing out where we could do better - it was a terrific away performance but I saw the one (minor) negative as @Shtanley did. Again, get the subs but we could be punished another day

But why focus on the negatives?

Seriously don't understand why you people continually find fault in a 0-2 victory...

Probably to set yourself up to tell everybody "I told you so" when we lose next.

Utterly pathetic.

5 minutes ago, Oops said:

Seriously don't understand why you people continually find fault in a 0-2 victory...

Probably to set yourself up to tell everybody "I told you so" when we lose next.

Utterly pathetic.

Pretty hostile! You pick out a post by someone who is pretty much always positive, and who is just offering a little balance. Calm down, mate.

Not going through everyone cos in knackered but smith was much better than usual tonight (as in much more to his game, always does what we know he can but did much more tonight) Bryan was excellent, nothing more needed on him, 

Pack looked very good tonight, was much higher up the pitch than usual, which was odd to see (small note was one point when he broke forward and Paterson could of played him in one on one and smashed it over and pack clapped the shot, there's his biggest weakness should be screaming at a team mate to give him that)

and I'm gonna highlight mags aswell, does play more complicated football than most of our players..but does seem to get away with it, not sure if he's used to play wing with better player or is better, reasonably solid though, 

brilliant night

11 minutes ago, Oops said:

Utterly pathetic.

I don't think it's a focus on the negatives. Again, I'll repeat that it was a terrific away performance!

I recall last year when we were winning games early doors - @Olé was pointing out where we were at risk and could do better and was not blinded by the positives. I recall agreeing with him at the time - to coin a phrase you "fix the roof while the sun is shining". That's what people who want to do better do - you can bet your a$$ that Lee Johnson is looking at the performance and looking what everyone - including himself - could do better.

The quickest way for us to fall from where we are is to ignore where we can improve. Again, great performance but always look to push on and that was in my opinion what @Shtanley was suggesting rather than "told you so"

On 31/10/2017 at 22:46, Kingswoodactor said:

Sorry mate, but I think you were watching a different game to me. Maggs did a sound job tonight and kept a lot of his distribution on the deck as well. Good solid 7/10 for me tonight 

Unfortunately he has carried it on today but hasn't been able to get away with it against better opposition. 

Archived