IGNORED

How would you spend £5m in January?

myol'man

3 hours ago, myol'man said:

Assuming we are still in the top 6 on New Years Day and you had £5m to spend in the transfer window, how would you spend it? For me it would all go on one player, a top top class midfield playmaker. That could be the final piece in the jigsaw. COYR :chant6ez: 

I'd retire-no doubts whatsoever...

9 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

You can always do with players in any position, and like you say... Pisano is injured but IS coming back. Loan maybe, yes.

LJ said he might be back for the final couple of months of the season.. we can’t go until March without a natural right back in the squad and expect to come top 6.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

LJ said he might be back for the final couple of months of the season.. we can’t go until March without a natural right back in the squad and expect to come top 6.

I also feel we need another first team ready right back to compete with Eros, preferably a younger option (not Zak young though, 23-27 would be ideal) so as Eros phases out the new player could take over and Zak could develop into the #2 role or #1 should he reach the standard. 

Player that always really impresses mebis MCKay at Florist who signed him for Rangers

They would demand silly money I’m sure or more likely tell us to sod off

Also at Florist ,,,,,,Its a shame Kieran Dowell is on a full seasons loan otherwise I’d be busting a gut for him in January !

11 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Player that always really impresses mebis MCKay at Florist who signed him for Rangers

They would demand silly money I’m sure or more likely tell us to sod off

Also at Florist ,,,,,,Its a shame Kieran Dowell is on a full seasons loan otherwise I’d be busting a gut for him in January !

McKay is great. A relative used to coach him at Kilmarnock and felt he could go far but needed to change his attitude as a teenager. 

We were talking about this pre game as it goes. A one-in-ten-year chance for us. Last time we bought Adebola. 

This time round I think if we're top 6 the boat is there to be pushed out; we'd have to shop at Prem level or top-end Championship though. We'd be an attractive option I've no doubt about that. The only question is who fits the bill with their DNA etc 

How about Kemar Roofe from Leeds? He was on the radar last year, can play midfield/striker/winger and obviously worked well with O'Dowda at Oxford.

Not really established himself at Leeds, seems to be in danger of stagnation could a change of scenery be what he needs....?

I expect I will get some stick for this but what about Tim Cahill?

I know he is 37 and has stated 2018 is his last year.

Super-pro, still got legs, and is still scoring at International level.

Playing for Melbourne City (Man City feeder club) - he is not a 90 minute player in the UK, but in January a 60 minutes a game box-to-box scoring midfielder would be great to start and dictate the game, or come on and steady the ship.

He most certainly still has a good hour a game at Champ level in him.

The season in OZ doesn't finish until April but I think Cahill would be interested, it would be getting Melb City to agree........Cahill does want to coach (and is contracted to do so) at Melbourne in 2018-2019 so they may let him go to learn some coaching skills from the Championship managers?

The injuries need to be covered obviously but we also need a solid senior pro, especially if we are near the top after Xmas. Cahill has pretty much done everything in his career, and still has a bit to give.

I'd take him on a Jan - end of season loan. I think he has a lot to teach what is still quite a young side, and reckon he'd score a couple as well.

I would not normally advocate someone that old, but we saw the professionalism Wilbs bought at the same age - and Cahill is ten times the player Wilbs was.

I saw him play recently (Cahill) - he is still quick, not lost his eye for a goal, and is a great leader on the pitch.

Just what we need if still near the top at the business end of the season.

I'll put my tin-hat on, but hope some of you can see my logic  :fingerscrossed:

Theres a great right back from Greuther Fuerth called Khaled Narey - really good and a lot better than 2.Liga in Germany suggests. Grab him for ~1 million. Glen Johnson is another option at RB, he's out of contract soon. Moses Obubajo is also out of contract in 2018.

as for CM I'd love a player similar to Cheik N'doye in Birmingham, looked really good when we played them at St.Andrews.

He's obviously just signed so a better option might be a prem player looking for some first team football?

I'd take Darren Gibson at CM, Wes Hoolahan?, Cole Skuse? I'd take him back but unsure if he's at this level.

Also, Luke Steele, GON and Marlon are all out of contract in 2018, might be worth signing 2/3 of them to new deals

I would like us to keep doing what we have been doing. Buy the best young developing players from elsewhere and work with them.

Why change a strategy that appears to be working for a short term boost when we could use our position to get better young players that will last a long time and provide some resale value.

Im not interested in a short term push for the prem if it blocks the path to the first team for our best youngsters, I would rather we played the youngsters gave them some experience and didn't get promoted this season.

Not wishing to alert other teams I am sure City are going all out to get that long elusive midfield dynamo. There is such a player, well 3 actually, who might be considered an Andrea Pirlo type. Let us see if City bring that player in. 

Now that Fammy and Pisano are out for lengthy spells we need cover there too although by the time January arrives one or both might be ahead of expected recovery time.

If we are in a challenging position I would go to Villa for Scott Hogan. Not really hit it off in the Midlands but a player who would work well with Johnson. Would be costly. 

I quite like Ivan Pinto at Norwich. High energy player right back. 

1 hour ago, Beni71 said:

If we are in a challenging position I would go to Villa for Scott Hogan. Not really hit it off in the Midlands but a player who would work well with Johnson. Would be costly. 

I quite like Ivan Pinto at Norwich. High energy player right back. 

Hogan, the best movement I saw last season (Brentford).  Like him.

Punto on Pinto?  Not seen enough of him.

53 minutes ago, streety_bcfc said:

Go and get Barry Bannan. May be expensive though. Not sure if SW would even think about letting him leave. 

I still think Bannan is not what we want.  As good as he is on the ball, I think he’s better with better players, he’s industrious with the ball, not so without it.  LJ likes him though.

Archived