IGNORED

Sheffield Wednesday away (Merged)

BCFC1512

1 minute ago, cityexile said:

My memory might be playing tricks, but was not that our first game back in the Championship? Have half a memory of them defining it as a Category A game or something, and having to take out a second mortgage for the tickets?

I think it was - Joe Bryan got crocked and had to go off and Wes Burns (!) filled in IIRC. Lost 2-0 (?)

2 minutes ago, cityexile said:

My memory might be playing tricks, but was not that our first game back in the Championship? Have half a memory of them defining it as a Category A game or something, and having to take out a second mortgage for the tickets?

Yep that's right. Our manager's first game. Wednesday won 3-1 I think.

4 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

I thought it was on TV as well. Then again I thought it was 3-1 so what do I know.

Don`t think it was - in fact I don`t think we`ve ever been on live away at your place, not that I can remember anyway.

Edit: I`m vaguely recalling a game about ten years ago that might have been on Sky with a distant memory of us winning 1-0 after being stuffed off the park.

2 minutes ago, Clevedon_Red said:

I believe City won 1-0 in 2007 on TV with Brian Wilson scoring with his left boot. I watched the game in Manchester, I recall.

That`s the one! We scored early doors and got battered but hung on for the 1-0 - I knew it was an unusual scorer for us too.

Just checked 11 v 11 and the goal was 4 minutes.

1 minute ago, Owl Visiting said:

You always seemed to beat us around that time. Would Gary Johnson have been in charge around then?

Indeed he was, first year back after winning promotion.

My only trip to Hillsborough to date was when 4,000 came up on the back of 11 consecutive wins was it? Danny Wilson heydays.

2 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

That`s the one! We scored early doors and got battered but hung on for the 1-0 - I knew it was an unusual scorer for us too.

Just checked 11 v 11 and the goal was 4 minutes.

Some familiar names in your side that day, used to think McIndoe was good player from his time with Donny. 

Decent Wednesday side that as well, Whelan, Tudgay and Simek all had good spells with us.

https://www.11v11.com/matches/sheffield-wednesday-v-bristol-city-01-september-2007-278325/

1 minute ago, Owl Visiting said:

Some familiar names in your side that day, used to think McIndoe was good player from his time with Donny. 

Decent Wednesday side that as well, Whelan, Tudgay and Simek all had good spells with us.

https://www.11v11.com/matches/sheffield-wednesday-v-bristol-city-01-september-2007-278325/

I dunno about you mate but it seems a lot longer than ten years ago to me!

2 hours ago, ForeverRes said:

I know this thread is about Wednesday away, but few have mentioned Hull, which made me think ....

For games like Hull, it would be so good if the club offered free transport for those going. It's not an attractive away fixture, but if transport (buses) was put on, you're bound to get a fair few more going (especially with tickets £12)

I really dislike when fans ask for money back, or low tickets prices etc. and I don't wanna sound like that, but I think it would be a good initiative to get a few more up there. And would it really cost the club much in the grand scheme of things? I've seen other clubs do it. 

I've no idea what deal the club could strike but for a group of 30 youngsters and adult helpers to go to London for the day (from Bristol) a friend of mine was quoted £1000 for a coach. She was delighted to haggle it down to £500 on the basis of future business but even so, that's a shed load of money.

As a one-off it would be great but 1500 fans would need 30+ coaches.

9 hours ago, redmycolour said:

I've just made  enquiry with swfc regarding there away end,they say Bristol city will be housed in top tier at away end,as an ambulant supporter, does anyone know if theres a lift in the away end going upto the top tier.

Pretty sure there isn't unfortunately, although people on here will have probably been in the top tier more often than me. It's very old and we're all desperate to see it pulled down. For obvious reasons.

9 hours ago, Owl Visiting said:

Pretty sure there isn't unfortunately, although people on here will have probably been in the top tier more often than me. It's very old and we're all desperate to see it pulled down. For obvious reasons.

I’m not being funny, but isn’t it a little bit late in the day to be pulling the stand down, for those “obvious reasons”..?!

Hilsborough is a hugely imposing stadium, proper old English football ground, with its vast single tiered stands that have basically just been attached to the old terraces. 

I remember my first visit there and there is definitely something eary about the place. 

I took a few moments at half time to go down to the front of the top tier and look down on the infamous Leppings Lane “terrace” which lay empty. A rather horrific reminder it must be, at every match. I’m surprised they didn’t pull it down many years ago. 

On 05/11/2017 at 21:42, Clevedon_Red said:

I believe City won 1-0 in 2007 on TV with Brian Wilson scoring with his left boot. I watched the game in Manchester, I recall.

Correct, early afternoon kick off. If I remember correctly it put us top of the table for the first time that season (for a few hours).

Just been given a new allocation which I believe will take it up close to 1,000, we've sold about 500 so far I think and it's not on general sale yet.

Anyone going and not bought tickets yet? I'm buzzing for this one but really it's an appalling effort if we have any less than 1,000 there given the form we're in and the team we're playing, also our away trips after this aren't great, Hull away and then Sheffield United on a Friday night.

Before anyone pretends to get offended and thinks I'm picking anyone out for not attending and ignoring the circumstances as to why they're not as always happens on here, I'm not, I just think lots of City fans will be right up for this one.

Archived