Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Taunton_BCFC

Sheffield Wednesday away (Merged)

The nature of the defeat at Sheffield Wed showed the few of us to make the trip that we were not as good as our position might have suggested. A Tomlin pen miss and GON sending off within 30 seconds cost us 3 points.. and a lot more. 

These two experienced Pros may have split the dressing room by thinking they could get away with taking on our young coach. 

Well Lj knew best, was supported by the people that matter and must now see Bobby and Brownhills as very satisfactory, lower cost replacements

Well done Lee and get behind the lads at the Leppings Lane. So much a better ground than characterless Hull. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

The nature of the defeat at Sheffield Wed showed the few of us to make the trip that we were not as good as our position might have suggested. A Tomlin pen miss and GON sending off within 30 seconds cost us 3 points.. and a lot more. 

These two experienced Pros may have split the dressing room by thinking they could get away with taking on our young coach. 

Well Lj knew best, was supported by the people that matter and must now see Bobby and Brownhills as very satisfactory, lower cost replacements

Well done Lee and get behind the lads at the Leppings Lane. So much a better ground than characterless Hull. 

Between pack winning the pen and O'Neill getting sent off was the worst few minutes of our season away and there were lots of bad moments (entire matches). We were virtually a one player team that day. Pack feeding Abraham was our 'tactic'. Tammy was exceptional. That was a problem last season, we relied too much on individuals- tomlin, O'Neill, Abraham. When O'Neill and tomlin lost form we looked very ordinary. 

Edited by redfieldred

6 hours ago, Stockwood nick said:

Personally i can only do 1 of this or hull, havent even been to hull so im doing that instead. Shame we have 2 away trips that are so far away after eachother!

I did Hull two seasons ago, it's culturally "different" The ground is about a twenty minute walk from the city centre and nothing out there. A couple of reasonable pubs in the newly rejuvinated centre areas next to the waterside and the locals a bit scary but harmless! Having been thumped 4-0 on a bleak day with the wind coming in off the North sea I was pleased to get back to Bristol

Good that you're going....every bit of support counts up there. I'm gonna probably do Wednesday....not been to Hillsborough for years

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, City Cat said:

I did Hull two seasons ago, it's culturally "different" The ground is about a twenty minute walk from the city centre and nothing out there. A couple of reasonable pubs in the newly rejuvinated centre areas next to the waterside and the locals a bit scary but harmless! Having been thumped 4-0 on a bleak day with the wind coming in off the North sea I was pleased to get back to Bristol

Good that you're going....every bit of support counts up there. I'm gonna probably do Wednesday....not been to Hillsborough for years

Only twelve quid for Hull too isn`t it?

I know this thread is about Wednesday away, but few have mentioned Hull, which made me think ....

For games like Hull, it would be so good if the club offered free transport for those going. It's not an attractive away fixture, but if transport (buses) was put on, you're bound to get a fair few more going (especially with tickets £12)

I really dislike when fans ask for money back, or low tickets prices etc. and I don't wanna sound like that, but I think it would be a good initiative to get a few more up there. And would it really cost the club much in the grand scheme of things? I've seen other clubs do it. 

24 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

I know this thread is about Wednesday away, but few have mentioned Hull, which made me think ....

For games like Hull, it would be so good if the club offered free transport for those going. It's not an attractive away fixture, but if transport (buses) was put on, you're bound to get a fair few more going (especially with tickets £12)

I really dislike when fans ask for money back, or low tickets prices etc. and I don't wanna sound like that, but I think it would be a good initiative to get a few more up there. And would it really cost the club much in the grand scheme of things? I've seen other clubs do it. 

Last time I went we were only 500....this made the day more grim for the 4-0 defeat. Incentives to get the fans there are good but you can't polish a turd, it's a hard core away game.....but fun in a masochistic kind of way...:gasmask:

Should be an interesting game, couple of good wins for us after a poor run. Hoping we're starting to turn the season around, but you've been excellent so far so will be a tough one. 

Wish we didn't have to wait 2 weeks.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

Should be an interesting game, couple of good wins for us after a poor run. Hoping we're starting to turn the season around, but you've been excellent so far so will be a tough one. 

With our injury list we`re not mate!

8 hours ago, Stockwood nick said:

Personally i can only do 1 of this or hull, havent even been to hull so im doing that instead. Shame we have 2 away trips that are so far away after eachother!

Blades away two weeks after Hull too but it is on Sky.

8 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

I just hope that whatever the outcome we can both come away from the game with no left overs. I've never had a problem with Sheffield Wednesday in all honesty. Don't get me on the other lot though. I'm not sure it's the silly stripes, the Warnock connection, Bassett, long ball, the arrogant looking, tattoo wearing  little manager they got there now... i've just not liked 'em. i share something in common with you, Owl. Roll on the next proper football!

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, harrys said:

Will be there, £90 on the train and £30 plus for a ticket is a bit steep though

Our ticket prices are outrageous mate, highest in the league and we don't exactly have the wealthiest fans. There's a lot of unrest at the moment with the chairman, despite his big investment in the playing squad he seems to be getting everything else wrong. This season's shirts only went on sale last week!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I'm not sure if there's anything much we can do... but try not to let them shoot   :laugh: did you see that goal on Saturday?

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

Our ticket prices are outrageous mate, highest in the league and we don't exactly have the wealthiest fans. There's a lot of unrest at the moment with the chairman, despite his big investment in the playing squad he seems to be getting everything else wrong. This season's shirts only went on sale last week!

Higher than Leeds? Always love going to Hillsborough and having your fans at AG who always come in good numbers and create a great atmosphere compared to the other Sheffield club who all seem to have a chip on their shoulders 

• Like 1

Just now, harrys said:

Higher than Leeds? Always love going to Hillsborough and having your fans at AG who always come in good numbers and create a great atmosphere compared to the other Sheffield club who all seem to have a chip on their shoulders 

I think so, certainly when it's a higher catergory game, the cheapest adult ticket for the derby a few weeks ago was £42. 

£33 is the cheapest against you, which I assume is also the away price.

8 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

I'm not sure if there's anything much we can do... but try not to let them shoot   :laugh: did you see that goal on Saturday?

It was a cracker wasn`t it? 15 seconds in? He`ll probably never hit a sweeter one in his whole career.

Edited by Red Right Hand
  • Like 2

Just now, Red Right Hand said:

It was a cracker wasn`t it? 15 seconds in wasn`t it? He`ll probably never hit a sweeter one in his whole career.

It is a beauty. I'm sure Pep might have said it was cos the ball is too light or something... but yes,   nice nice goal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Owl Visiting said:

He scored after 3 mins in the game before, starting to look worth his silly fee.

40 million for the pair him and Aden Flint  then

1 minute ago, Red Right Hand said:

Is he the Boro lad that was on loan at PNE last season?

yeah, I can't believe how much fees have inflated at this level in the last couple of seasons. 5 million for a Middlesbrough reserve. Probably would have been about 500k just a few years ago.

My memory might be playing tricks, but was not that our first game back in the Championship? Have half a memory of them defining it as a Category A game or something, and having to take out a second mortgage for the tickets?

4 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Is he the Boro lad that was on loan at PNE last season?

I think the one PNE really really really let get away could well turn out to be young Josh Brownhill.   Shit how well has this guy played for us recently. Looks a prem player in the making easily

Edited by AppyDAZE

1 minute ago, cityexile said:

My memory might be playing tricks, but was not that our first game back in the Championship? Have half a memory of them defining it as a Category A game or something, and having to take out a second mortgage for the tickets?

I think it was - Joe Bryan got crocked and had to go off and Wes Burns (!) filled in IIRC. Lost 2-0 (?)

2 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Yep that's right. Our manager's first game. Wednesday won 3-1 I think.

3 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

yeah, I can't believe how much fees have inflated at this level in the last couple of seasons. 5 million for a Middlesbrough reserve. Probably would have been about 500k just a few years ago.

Well, they had to pay for Assombalonga somehow!

I think it was - Joe Bryan got crocked and had to go off and Wes Burns (!) filled in IIRC. Lost 2-0 (?)

Yep, you're right, don't know where I got 3-1 from :facepalm:

Yep that's right. Our manager's first game. Wednesday won 3-1 I think.

Not checked it, but my memory is saying a fairly comfortable 2-0, but might just be old age...

No, that was the other lot the year before in L1 - Wilbs & Wade for a 2-1.

I stand corrected    and not for the first time   :laugh: 

on Johnson  this guy is clueless   me, Feb this year!

Edited by AppyDAZE

2 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

No, that was the other lot the year before in L1 - Wilbs & Wade for a 2-1.

I thought it was on TV as well. Then again I thought it was 3-1 so what do I know.

4 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

I thought it was on TV as well. Then again I thought it was 3-1 so what do I know.

Don`t think it was - in fact I don`t think we`ve ever been on live away at your place, not that I can remember anyway.

Edit: I`m vaguely recalling a game about ten years ago that might have been on Sky with a distant memory of us winning 1-0 after being stuffed off the park.

Edited by Red Right Hand

Don`t think it was - in fact I don`t think we`ve ever been on live away at your place, not that I can remember anyway.

Ahhh, maybe I watched it on a stream. 

4 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I believe City won 1-0 in 2007 on TV with Brian Wilson scoring with his left boot. I watched the game in Manchester, I recall.

3 minutes ago, Clevedon_Red said:

I believe City won 1-0 in 2007 on TV with Brian Wilson scoring with his left boot. I watched the game in Manchester, I recall.

You always seemed to beat us around that time. Would Gary Johnson have been in charge around then?

2 minutes ago, Clevedon_Red said:

That`s the one! We scored early doors and got battered but hung on for the 1-0 - I knew it was an unusual scorer for us too.

Just checked 11 v 11 and the goal was 4 minutes.

You always seemed to beat us around that time. Would Gary Johnson have been in charge around then?

Indeed he was, first year back after winning promotion.

My only trip to Hillsborough to date was when 4,000 came up on the back of 11 consecutive wins was it? Danny Wilson heydays.

• Like 1

That`s the one! We scored early doors and got battered but hung on for the 1-0 - I knew it was an unusual scorer for us too.

Just checked 11 v 11 and the goal was 4 minutes.

Some familiar names in your side that day, used to think McIndoe was good player from his time with Donny. 

Decent Wednesday side that as well, Whelan, Tudgay and Simek all had good spells with us.

https://www.11v11.com/matches/sheffield-wednesday-v-bristol-city-01-september-2007-278325/

Some familiar names in your side that day, used to think McIndoe was good player from his time with Donny. 

Decent Wednesday side that as well, Whelan, Tudgay and Simek all had good spells with us.

https://www.11v11.com/matches/sheffield-wednesday-v-bristol-city-01-september-2007-278325/

I dunno about you mate but it seems a lot longer than ten years ago to me!

2 hours ago, ForeverRes said:

I've no idea what deal the club could strike but for a group of 30 youngsters and adult helpers to go to London for the day (from Bristol) a friend of mine was quoted £1000 for a coach. She was delighted to haggle it down to £500 on the basis of future business but even so, that's a shed load of money.

As a one-off it would be great but 1500 fans would need 30+ coaches.

• Like 1