IGNORED

Trouble on Trains - Channel 4 Tonight 8.00 pm

Abraham Romanovich

30 minutes ago, phantom said:

Could be an interesting programme to watch, but looking at the programme description it is going to be one of those documentaries that highlight the bad side of football supporters 

Screenshot_20171106-124122.png

Undercover with the BTP crime unit to expose racism, homophobia and anti-Semitism by football fnas on Britain's trains.

Let me see... I don't think it's going to paint footy fans in a favourable light.

What investigations like this don't do is point out that footy fans reflect society as a whole. When they did their investigation was it all the football fans or just those who were guilty of racism, homophobia and anti-Semitism?

Is the program about some perceived football fan stereo type? Do that to any other section of society and that's called bigotry.

2 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Supposedly about football fans travelling to football matches by its very nature it is bound to highlight the actions of a few mindless idiots who play up on the trains .

Unfortunately it will just reinforces the negative perceptions of many about football fans in general. 

The irony is - when people see poor driving on car crash/chase programmes they don't throw themselves (as drivers) into the same pot.

People eh. 

2 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Supposedly about football fans travelling to football matches by its very nature it is bound to highlight the actions of a few mindless idiots who play up on the trains .

Unfortunately it will just reinforces the negative perceptions of many about football fans in general. 

Its unfortunate that the mindless idiots (to use your words) are still out there - I've seen a number of them around Ashton Gate this season on their mobile phones looking for trouble after the game - but if they are, then they deserve to be highlighted!  It is not television that is reinforcing the negative perceptions  of football fans, it is the mindless idiots themselves.

I've been taking my son to football since he was six (he's now nine) and this is the first season when I've been concerned for his safety on one or two occasions (one was on Saturday when Cardiff fans starting throwing objects over the fence behind the Atyeo as we were leaving the ground).

5 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Its unfortunate that the mindless idiots (to use your words) are still out there - I've seen a number of them around Ashton Gate this season on their mobile phones looking for trouble after the game - but if they are, then they deserve to be highlighted!  It is not television that is reinforcing the negative perceptions  of football fans, it is the mindless idiots themselves.

I've been taking my son to football since he was six (he's now nine) and this is the first season when I've been concerned for his safety on one or two occasions (one was on Saturday when Cardiff fans starting throwing objects over the fence behind the Atyeo as we were leaving the ground).

On Saturday, when leaving AG, I asked my nipper to record events through the windscreen as it looked like it could kick off around us. 

Not nice. 

What they really need is a few years behind bars. Not that they'll ever get it. 

I saw many individuals committing various minor offences in plain sight of the police. They aren't interested outside of the ground. They just want to get home. 

1 hour ago, bcfcfinker said:

Undercover with the BTP crime unit to expose racism, homophobia and anti-Semitism by football fnas on Britain's trains.

Let me see... I don't think it's going to paint footy fans in a favourable light.

What investigations like this don't do is point out that footy fans reflect society as a whole. When they did their investigation was it all the football fans or just those who were guilty of racism, homophobia and anti-Semitism?

Is the program about some perceived football fan stereo type? Do that to any other section of society and that's called bigotry.

I think the one potentially interesting thing about this, that may or may not come up, is the fact that people behave differently in crowds and will do things as a group they would never do as an individual. Football fans are, as you say, a cross-section of society as a whole. But I do think, whilst these programmes are unhelpful, it is interesting to reflect on the dynamics of being in a group and how it can lead to people behaving differently to how they would in other situations. But I think that is the key thing is this is far more to do with the nature of crowds than it is an inherent aspect of being a football supporter.

25 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

On the Evil Post website is a video, lasting 35 seconds of trouble after the Cardiff match. It looks like a bunch of thugs had one lad on the ground kicking and punching him, they say they are not sure if it was Cardiff or City fans, but if you listen you can hear some Welsh accents as well as Bristol.  It happened in Ashton Road and the Police had to break it up, One lad was arrested by a copper with a baton and a police horse was also in attendance.   Anybody know anything about this?  As I can't see it mentioned on this Forum.

1 hour ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

On the Evil Post website is a video, lasting 35 seconds of trouble after the Cardiff match. It looks like a bunch of thugs had one lad on the ground kicking and punching him, they say they are not sure if it was Cardiff or City fans, but if you listen you can hear some Welsh accents as well as Bristol.  It happened in Ashton Road and the Police had to break it up, One lad was arrested by a copper with a baton and a police horse was also in attendance.   Anybody know anything about this?  As I can't see it mentioned on this Forum.

I could only hear numerous Welsh accents myself so unless the Cardiff fans were fighting amongst themselves - unlikely - the assumption would be it was an unfortunate City fan on the receiving end.

As a City fan and also a Railway employee of over 20 years on-board service things have gotten so much better than say 10 years ago when it was horrendous, the idiots that cause issues are not young kids but grown men of my sort of age around 40’s they are the worst but thankfully very rare we get issues these days 

6 hours ago, phantom said:

Could be an interesting programme to watch, but looking at the programme description it is going to be one of those documentaries that highlight the bad side of football supporters 

Screenshot_20171106-124122.png

Apparently the programme is now starting at 9pm.

Great Western Trains apologises for the late showing of this programme, and for any inconvenience caused...

To be fair I often cringe when I hear how some of our fans abuse members of the public on trains to and from away games for no reason at all. It's obviously by no means something that only occurs amongst our followers, but we've definitely got some who get stuck into the Thatcher's in the buffet carriage and think they have the right to ruin other people's day out with ugly language and zero respect or manners, and the vast majority of their 'targets' are not football supporters.....not that it would be acceptable even if they were...

7 hours ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

One lad was arrested by a copper with a baton and a police horse was also in attendance.   Anybody know anything about this?  As I can't see it mentioned on this Forum.

Here's a copy of the Police de-brief.

Sergeant: What if anything did you see Constable? 

Constable: Nothing Sarge.

Sergeant: Did you see anything Dobbin?

Police Horse: Nay.

1 hour ago, The Chaplain said:

I regularly get the train back to London after games at the Gate and get caught cup in this sort of stuff, it's horrible!

To be fair apart from Chelsea fans, who are absolute scum most of the time on the train in/out of Paddington (and I'm saying that both as a regular passenger as well as knowing long time employees on the line who recount the stories about them), it's a bit too easy to just say it's a football thing when travelling on trains.

The common thread is alcohol in groups with a pack mentality. Rugby fans act up in the buffet car too, and I've lost track of the number of times I've seen young lads get on/off at Swindon (usually to/from Bath)  in the summer with no obvious football link but behaving like morons intimidating staff and doing as they want.

I don't recall the Fulham fans returning from Bristol, there were only a few very friendly self-depreciating old boys on the train after the last game at AG (midweek), so I assume the clip was the Saturday game in 2016 when we lost 4-1. Personally I always leave it a few hours on Saturday. Midweek you don't get day-trippers.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

To be fair I often cringe when I hear how some of our fans abuse members of the public on trains to and from away games for no reason at all. It's obviously by no means something that only occurs amongst our followers, but we've definitely got some who get stuck into the Thatcher's in the buffet carriage and think they have the right to ruin other people's day out with ugly language and zero respect or manners, and the vast majority of their 'targets' are not football supporters.....not that it would be acceptable even if they were...

But, but, they're just having a laugh, or something...

17 hours ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

I have updated in a separate link but one Male from Cardiff was arrested as you saw by the police officer. He has been charged with a public order offence to court where a banning order will also be applied for . 

3 minutes ago, JulieH said:

I have updated in a separate link but one Male from Cardiff was arrested as you saw by the police officer. He has been charged with a public order offence to court where a banning order will also be applied for . 

Morning Julie, I’ve asked you the same question 3x on this thread, most recently at post #60 - please can you give me an answer 

Thanks

Archived