IGNORED

Average Attendance Thus Far

Malago

34 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Just saying like..... 

Hi

Yes I suppose it was, a rather large chomp. However in my defence I would like to point out that unlike the perceived football fan wisdom, which implies we are poorly supported the opposite is the case.. We are as I said no Man U granted, but there are plenty of teams that get mentioned when well supported clubs are discussed, which it may surprise a few of you to learn have all time averages around the same as ours and shock horror even less.   Teams such as Brum, Derby Forest Sheff U  West Brom and Leicester. the thing about all these teams is they for the most part have won things and are from bigger cities than little old Boro.

all figures can be found at NUFC.com(I think that's it) stats section.

47 minutes ago, City Ben said:

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure this counts as a bite.

59 minutes ago, Lenbadgersleftpeg said:

Hi.

Blades had higher attendances between 2006-2012. Before that there wasn’t a lot of difference between the two averages.

Wednesday haven’t averaged 30,000 + in living memory, the Blades had  30,300 ( ish) in 2007/8 and 33,000 + in 1971.

The Wednesday have had higher average attendances overall.

Wednesday get a lot of support from  the former mining villages of South Yorkshire.

United’s support is largely Sheffield based, although there are supporters clubs in North Notts and North Derbyshire

cheers

Surprised by those stats as i’ve always considered that Wednesday have always had bigger crowds than you

On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 23:22, Bar BS3 said:

It will be interesting to see where our average ends up. 

We’ve probably had the 3 biggest expected away followings already visit, so that should take it down, however, with our current form & league placing, we may get more home support turning up, or are we pretty much at our consistent limit for this level at the moment..?!

Of course, if we stay where we are, then there will be an end of season peak, but realistically, are we at the max we can expect to get at the moment, at this level..?

We have got a few biggies left to come - Blades, Wednesday, Brum, Wolves. Even Boro if they`re in the mood. Reading will bring a few too and I have no idea what Sunderland`s away following is like these days.

1 hour ago, Lenbadgersleftpeg said:

Hi.

Blades had higher attendances between 2006-2012. Before that there wasn’t a lot of difference between the two averages.

Wednesday haven’t averaged 30,000 + in living memory, the Blades had  30,300 ( ish) in 2007/8 and 33,000 + in 1971.

The Wednesday have had higher average attendances overall.

Wednesday get a lot of support from  the former mining villages of South Yorkshire.

United’s support is largely Sheffield based, although there are supporters clubs in North Notts and North Derbyshire

cheers

It was 2006/07 when you got 30K in the PL and you've had better crowds for 7 of the last 36 years hardly summat to crow about.

Older, Bigger, Better.

2 minutes ago, OwlsonlineAdmin said:

It was 2006/07 when you got 30K in the PL and you've had better crowds for 7 of the last 36 years hardly summat to crow about.

Older, Bigger, Better.

That’s how I see it, even this season when back in the Championship after a long spell away & flying at the top, with yourselves in mid-table mediocrity and your umpteenth season at this level you still have a higher average, the blades are “the gas” of Sheffield 

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Does anyone know why there were large sections of the Lower Lansdown empty on Saturday? I wondered if these were coach parties from some of the outlying areas (Bridgwater, Taunton, etc) it seemed strage that it was seats in whole blocks of about 30-40 in different sections.

The upper halfs of the middle three lower Lansdown blocks are hospitality areas. They aren't normally very well populated. Or were you thinking about other areas?

• Admin

This thread is brilliant. An innocuous thread about our growing attendances on a Bristol City forum and we've got fans of three other clubs' fans on here defending themselves :laugh:

I'm gonna give this a shot, Wolverhampton Wanderers / Wolves (both variants used for google search purposes) attendances are dire considering what a big club they think they are ;) 

32 minutes ago, harrys said:

That’s how I see it, even this season when back in the Championship after a long spell away & flying at the top, with yourselves in mid-table mediocrity and your umpteenth season at this level you still have a higher average, the blades are “the gas” of Sheffield 

That's not true is it.  Gas are more akin to Port Vale or Notts County.

7 hours ago, OwlsonlineAdmin said:

Older, Bigger, Better.

Well you are MASSIVE. :P

can’t believe it a Wendy accusing me of “ crowing about attendances” 

“36 years,” a bit random that ?

9 hours ago, OwlsonlineAdmin said:

Once again a table of stats manages to leave a 0 off the end of the Rovers away following. Anyone reading that would be led to believe that we take nearly twice as many away than them. :ph34r:

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 09:31, Midlands Robin said:

Forest Green having a higher average than Yeovil is quite a surprise. 

As for ourselves, with our maximum capacity, if we ever reached the Premier league the best we could hope for is to finish 14th. There are some huge stadiums up and down the country now.

that's the reason I was very disappointed ashton vale didn't come off, I know a lot on here were happy with that but we had much more leeway to expand if and when it was needed. 

4 hours ago, pillred said:

that's the reason I was very disappointed ashton vale didn't come off, I know a lot on here were happy with that but we had much more leeway to expand if and when it was needed. 

Yes, which was “plan A”. SL tried everything possible, but wasn’t allowed to build it. 

The new Ashton Gate is a fantastic alternative and it’s great to still be at our spiritual home. 

27,000 will be plenty big enough, bar a few glamour games for us for many years to come, bar maybe our first season, should we make it the Prem. Everyone will jump on the bandwagon for the first season, maybe 2. After that, it all becomes a bit “meh” for most of the fixtures and we will find that 27,000 is probably just about right. Maybe increasing to 30k IF we were ever able to rebuild the Atyeo stand, which is doubtful. 

4 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Yes, which was “plan A”. SL tried everything possible, but wasn’t allowed to build it. 

The new Ashton Gate is a fantastic alternative and it’s great to still be at our spiritual home. 

27,000 will be plenty big enough, bar a few glamour games for us for many years to come, bar maybe our first season, should we make it the Prem. Everyone will jump on the bandwagon for the first season, maybe 2. After that, it all becomes a bit “meh” for most of the fixtures and we will find that 27,000 is probably just about right. Maybe increasing to 30k IF we were ever able to rebuild the Atyeo stand, which is doubtful. 

probably right but there will be at least 6 or 7 games where if we do get to the prem 27.000 would be no where big enough, I have been at the gate in the seventies with over 35,000, I think with the interest in top flight football now we could sell out 40,000 for some of the games the away support from nearly all the London clubs would see to that, but it's no good thinking like that because it's never going to happen as you say if the atyeo could be redeveloped we are looking at 30,000 max, the potential is there but we can never fully realise it the sky money helps of course, just a shame everybody that would come wont be able to.

12 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

it can be exspanded, you can make the Atyeo two tier at some point put two more corners on add another tier to the south stand, the problem is the planning regulations for the atyeo (hence the need for the houses behind),

We could prob get it to 35k - 40k if ever needed but would prob cost 3 times what AV would of cost 

The future of the club will see ups AND downs.

It's optimistic - but not impossible - to think we might be in the prem next season. And it would be pessimistic to think we'll never get there. We will!

But I'm afraid some unkonwn number of years after that we'll probably come back down. And we wouldn't want to be rattling round an over-large stadium like Villa whose stadium is 25% empty this season, or Sundarland whose stadium is 45% empty on average! Heaven forbid it will ever get anywhere near as bad for us as it has for poor old Coventry who now have four times as many seats as fans attending home games!

Much better to fit snugly into our beautiful home and create a passionate atmosphere.

(And don't forget that safe standing will allow us to grow capacity too).

1 hour ago, Yellow&Blue&Red said:

The future of the club will see ups AND downs.

It's optimistic - but not impossible - to think we might be in the prem next season. And it would be pessimistic to think we'll never get there. We will!

But I'm afraid some unkonwn number of years after that we'll probably come back down. And we wouldn't want to be rattling round an over-large stadium like Villa whose stadium is 25% empty this season, or Sundarland whose stadium is 45% empty on average! Heaven forbid it will ever get anywhere near as bad for us as it has for poor old Coventry who now have four times as many seats as fans attending home games!

Much better to fit snugly into our beautiful home and create a passionate atmosphere.

(And don't forget that safe standing will allow us to grow capacity too).

I think 27k is the perfect sized stadium for us. Not too big, not too small.

A good season in the Championship will see us average around 20k, a great season in the Championship would see us average maybe 25k. Even in L1, if we are challenging for promotion we're perfectly capable of attracting 18-22k crowds.

1st, and possibly 2nd season in the Prem would see sell outs, after that we'd be back down to crowds of 20-24k for the visits of teams like Bournmouth, Watford and Burnley.

All just my opinion. I can't see us needing 35k seats unless we became an established top 5 Prem club which, let's face it, ain't gonna happen.

1 hour ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I think 27k is the perfect sized stadium for us. Not too big, not too small.

A good season in the Championship will see us average around 20k, a great season in the Championship would see us average maybe 25k. Even in L1, if we are challenging for promotion we're perfectly capable of attracting 18-22k crowds.

1st, and possibly 2nd season in the Prem would see sell outs, after that we'd be back down to crowds of 20-24k for the visits of teams like Bournmouth, Watford and Burnley.

All just my opinion. I can't see us needing 35k seats unless we became an established top 5 Prem club which, let's face it, ain't gonna happen.

One day, one fine day, we will be able to knock down the shed at the Ayteo end, and build something to match the West stand

Then we will have a fine stadium indeed, with the chance of 32k max, and an intimidating atmos to match that of most Prem sides

We are going the right way, and doing everything correctly to eventually achieve that - just keep doing it

16 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I think it is a major plus to still be at our spiritual home.

Just as seasons at the top level breed a sense of history and importance at a club.  When I look down from a great height, I can still see Jimmy Mann blasting a volley past Shilton from the half way line

7 minutes ago, gow2gooseya said:

One day, one fine day, we will be able to knock down the shed at the Ayteo end, and build something to match the West stand

Then we will have a fine stadium indeed, with the chance of 32k max, and an intimidating atmos to match that of most Prem sides

We are going the right way, and doing everything correctly to eventually achieve that - just keep doing it

Its been mentioned on here before that properties on Ashton Road have come up for sale, sold...and then put back on the market at a later date. That would suggest that the club isn’t hoovering up houses on that row as and when they come up for sale.

I’d love to see the Atyeo rebuilt and connected to the Dolman in the same way the South Stand is....even though it adds capacity that we don’t currently need on a regular basis. 

Archived