IGNORED

Middlesbrough battling with three Premier League sides to sign Bobby Reid

Eastside Moonwalker

36 minutes ago, hodge said:

It would be to us though, especially if we're anywhere around the top 6 come January.

I don't disagree, but what I meant was I think we'd price out any interested clubs as they wouldn't agree with our evaluation of him. His value wouldn't be as high to them so don't think they'd take the risk of spending millions on a player who's had 4-5 good months.

12 hours ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

As great as Bobby has been in the last 3 months, he's not exactly set the world alight in the past few seasons so I don't think his value would be that high. I'm surprised clubs are looking at him already tbh, seems like a big risk to me.

Think they should keep an eye on him, but let him stay at City for the time being. :shifty:

We wouldn’t sell him for less than £9m in the current market I don’t think.

His form isn’t just a flukey purple patch, his overall game is excellent. A good scout would see the difference. He’s finally found a position to make his own.

We would be much, much weaker without him too. Don't underestimate how his goals and all round play has put us in the position we find ourselves in. Obviously not just him but he is having more of an influence than many realise I think.

I understand he is pretty down to earth, living modestly for a footballer and close to his family which are a big influence on him. Yes he could be tempted by a big move and all that goes with it but I don't think that's what he craves for as much as some. If he could go places with his home city club I'm sure that's what he would want as much as anything.

Its got to be mostly Agent talk to get him a better wage (which is fair do's I suppose)...

for me its his all round play, energy and selfless running that has been the biggest improvement (I think another poster got it right, but saying it was Tammy's example to him that helped). His goals have been the icing on the cake.

His next test is to sustain it over a period of time and not become complacent, if he keeps it up, he will become a rich man (with us or another club).

8 hours ago, spudski said:

Tammy had a massive influence on Bobby. Showed him what is needed to succeed further. A better work ethic, drive, humility and noticeably awareness, positioning and reaction in the box.

His influence is still being felt.

I recall reading BR saying something along those lines last season.

More reason to be grateful for Tammy's season at Ashton Gate if, as a 19 year-old, he left such a great impression on those already several years older than him.

19 hours ago, hodge said:

And if his form were to disappear again this could be his only chance of a big move.  

I think he has to continue this form for a little while longer yet before anyone starts to consider spending big on him.. his career history has been very patchy to date and with him only just turning into a front man i think clubs would want to see more consistency than a 1/4 of a season tbh..

19 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

I feel as though city fans may still underate Reid. His link up play and ability to get in the right position to slot the ball home is pretty exceptional.

He's vital to us. For me he's the only player in the squad we couldn't replace. Need to keep hold of him

39 minutes ago, bcfctim said:

He's vital to us. For me he's the only player in the squad we couldn't replace. Need to keep hold of him

So Maynard, Kodjia and Tammy were replaceable but Bobby who's been in good form for just four months isn't?

As fantastic as he's been, a lot of City fans are getting ahead of themselves here. Consistency is required before we can start claiming him as a 9m+ player.

2 hours ago, Neo said:

I was buying a loaf of bread at co- op this evening and the Evil Post was on the back page running this story - FFS - this forum should get royalties - we write their rag for them !!

Um no, BP trawl the same websites as the OP!

41 minutes ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

So Maynard, Kodjia and Tammy were replaceable but Bobby who's been in good form for just four months isn't?

As fantastic as he's been, a lot of City fans are getting ahead of themselves here. Consistency is required before we can start claiming him as a 9m+ player.

I sort of agree and sort of don’t. I agree we could replace him if we had to but we can claim he is a £9 million player at the absolute minimum as he is in fantastic form and we do not want to sell. Unless we know we have a replacement lined up on the cheap, I’d hope the club would be looking at £12 - £15 million in January before they even have a conversation about selling him. 

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

I sort of agree and sort of don’t. I agree we could replace him if we had to but we can claim he is a £9 million player at the absolute minimum as he is in fantastic form and we do not want to sell. Unless we know we have a replacement lined up on the cheap, I’d hope the club would be looking at £12 - £15 million in January before they even have a conversation about selling him. 

I completely understand where everyone is coming from and I also appreciate the value that he would have to City - I just don't agree that his market value to any other team would be remotely near 9m at the moment. I think we'd be safe of any interest if we slapped a price tag like that on him. 

Especially when you consider proven consistent goalscorers like Jordan Rhodes are moving around for around 10m (if I remember correctly..)

Remember Tomlin looked like a world beater in his first four months too.

11 minutes ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

I completely understand where everyone is coming from and I also appreciate the value that he would have to City - I just don't agree that his market value to any other team would be remotely near 9m at the moment. I think we'd be safe of any interest if we slapped a price tag like that on him. 

It doesn’t matter what his ‘value’ compared to other players is really. We don’t need to sell and his value to us is high.

Especially when you consider proven consistent goalscorers like Jordan Rhodes are moving around for around 10m (if I remember correctly..)

Rhodes is older and on huge wages. Again, it’s about his value to us.

Remember Tomlin looked like a world beater in his first four months too.

Not relevant 

50 minutes ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

Completely agree. And this is why I think we will keep hold of him. But the bottom line is we don't want to sell and don't need to sell so we should be pricing him out the market and letting people bid bloody stupid amounts of money if they decide they want him. 

46 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It doesn’t matter what his ‘value’ compared to other players is really. We don’t need to sell and his value to us is high.

Rhodes is older and on huge wages. Again, it’s about his value to us.

Not relevant 

I'm not disputing his value to us.

The point I'm making is that four months of good form does not make a 10m player. Any club willing to pay anything near that would be crazy as it's a tremendous risk and there are safer options out there. Especially when you consider how quickly form can come and go. (hence the Tomlin reference)

Jordan Rhodes is about 3 years older at 27/28 with an outstanding goalscoring record. Reid is around 24 now, he's not exactly a kid anymore and he's only just cemented his place in the first team of Bristol City after several years of rotation in the Championship/League one.

Anyway, we all want Bobby to continue his fantastic form and to stay at Bristol City - and I'm confident he'll still be here come the end of the season.

Archived