IGNORED

Middlesbrough battling with three Premier League sides to sign Bobby Reid

Eastside Moonwalker

Pretty certain MA and a few others have pointed out on most of our young players we have the extra year option on top of their contract.

Think unless a big Prem club came calling he'll stick with us and really hope he does - but while awesome he is just one part of a team where goals come from all over, with some very creative scorers.

The EP just seem to enjoy trying to scare people with these rubbish and usually unsubstantiated stories...

13 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

No player is irreplaceable, even young Bobby . 

12 hours ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

So Maynard, Kodjia and Tammy were replaceable but Bobby who's been in good form for just four months isn't?

As fantastic as he's been, a lot of City fans are getting ahead of themselves here. Consistency is required before we can start claiming him as a 9m+ player.

I didn't word that particularly well, I meant from within what we've currently got. Every other player there's someone else within the squad that could slot into their position without really affecting the way we play, with the possible exception of Bryan although I haven't actually seen Kelly play yet. With Bobby that's not the case. Imagine Taylor would come in but whilst he's done well I don't think he quite offers us what Bobby does.

Our recruitment in the striker department has been exceptional over the last 5 years or so so I don't doubt we could replace him in time, but you'd rather not have to, and we couldn't rely on doing so in January. I think as far as losing him this season would scupper any promotion ambitions we have.

But I don't expect anyone to be leaving in January, even if offered ridiculous money. The worrying thing about this is it appears his agent is putting some feelers out, but I suppose that's to be expected.

11 hours ago, bcfctim said:

I didn't word that particularly well, I meant from within what we've currently got. Every other player there's someone else within the squad that could slot into their position without really affecting the way we play, with the possible exception of Bryan although I haven't actually seen Kelly play yet. With Bobby that's not the case. Imagine Taylor would come in but whilst he's done well I don't think he quite offers us what Bobby does.

Our recruitment in the striker department has been exceptional over the last 5 years or so so I don't doubt we could replace him in time, but you'd rather not have to, and we couldn't rely on doing so in January. I think as far as losing him this season would scupper any promotion ambitions we have.

But I don't expect anyone to be leaving in January, even if offered ridiculous money. The worrying thing about this is it appears his agent is putting some feelers out, but I suppose that's to be expected.

Fair enough, agree with all of that. :thumbsup:

On 07/11/2017 at 20:38, billywedlock said:

He is out of contract next summer, so unless there was a one year extension option included that  could be activated, it could be a cheap buy for someone with only the development fee to pay I guess, if that still exists. Bobby won't be going anywhere for equal terms but you can imagine his agent will want to get the most suitable deal for him. You would think the club is trying everything to get him on a new deal so they can get the best reward if he moves on in future. Though keeping Bryan could prove a bigger challenge, and Flint done himself no harm either.  What about Brownhill , he had a 2 year deal too when he signed I recall. All part of the fun and games for the club. They have done quite well in recent times in this area, getting more right than wrong.

Bobby will go as soon as he is able.

On 08/11/2017 at 20:38, Bryans Left Peg said:

So Maynard, Kodjia and Tammy were replaceable but Bobby who's been in good form for just four months isn't?

As fantastic as he's been, a lot of City fans are getting ahead of themselves here. Consistency is required before we can start claiming him as a 9m+ player.

At today's prices even an inconsistent striker with Bobby's quality would go for that . 

I agree though that no player is irreplaceable.

5 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

At today's prices even an inconsistent striker with Bobby's quality would go for that . 

I agree though that no player is irreplaceable.

Fitting them into our wage structure would though. 

If we sell Bobby for 10m say, it reasonable to expect a like for like replacement to cost us the same. A 10m signing will demand huge wages

On 08/11/2017 at 23:28, Bryans Left Peg said:

I'm not disputing his value to us.

The point I'm making is that four months of good form does not make a 10m player. Any club willing to pay anything near that would be crazy as it's a tremendous risk and there are safer options out there. Especially when you consider how quickly form can come and go. (hence the Tomlin reference)

I think the thing about Reid's form is that it's not flash in the pan looking good for a few games. The thing that's so impressive about his form this season and skills is that it's transferable. Whereas Flint for example may find it beyond his capabilities to defend against Morata or Lukaku - Reid's qualities seem to be his movement and energy.

His movement and energy is so good that it would be effective at a higher level in my opinion. It's incredibly hard to defend against and not many teams this season have had an answer to it. Playing in that pocket, and not right on the shoulder of defence, means his main disadvantage of his size isn't exposed. 

We already knew he had exceptional touch and vision, but the elements he's added to his game are very exciting developments and the signs of a top player.

There's a difference between a striker scoring for a few games and what Reid's showing this season. It really is very impressive.

Jordan Rhodes is about 3 years older at 27/28 with an outstanding goalscoring record. Reid is around 24 now, he's not exactly a kid anymore and he's only just cemented his place in the first team of Bristol City after several years of rotation in the Championship/League one.

Anyway, we all want Bobby to continue his fantastic form and to stay at Bristol City - and I'm confident he'll still be here come the end of the season.

Well if he wants too, and injuries permitting, Reid could play at a good level for the next 10 years or more. Plenty of time for a club to get their money's worth. The thing with Rhodes, which adds to what I said above, is that his skills don't seem transferable. He seems stuck in that void between top end Championship player and low end Prem. There's lots of forwards like this - Bamford, Gayle, Baldock - who are good players at this level but can't transfer it to the league above. 

Rhodes is a great goalscorer at this level, but the other factor is his wages. Reid has been here from academy to now and he's not anywhere near our highest earners. Rhodes has played for Middlesborough and Sheffield Wednesday who are happy to pay him more than most of this league could afford. As a result, his potential moves are limited as most clubs simply can't afford him. That lowers his transfer value somewhat. He's priced himself out of competition for his signature.

For Reid, I'm sure many clubs in this league could afford to double or treble his wages. Reid, as of August last year, was on £4000 a week. That's a tiny amount for a leading forward in this division. That's why we need to get his contract sorted or cash in whilst his value is high.

I don't quite understand why Middlesborough's name is in this article, I don't really get the impression that they are one of the clubs who think they can just take the pick of any Championship player. It makes me wonder of someone connected to Bobby has been touting him around, either to give the impression he is available or to use the publicity in negotiations for a new contract.

On 11/8/2017 at 22:22, Bryans Left Peg said:

I completely understand where everyone is coming from and I also appreciate the value that he would have to City - I just don't agree that his market value to any other team would be remotely near 9m at the moment. I think we'd be safe of any interest if we slapped a price tag like that on him. 

Especially when you consider proven consistent goalscorers like Jordan Rhodes are moving around for around 10m (if I remember correctly..)

Remember Tomlin looked like a world beater in his first four months too.

Is that the one that's scored twice this season?

32 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I don't quite understand why Middlesborough's name is in this article, I don't really get the impression that they are one of the clubs who think they can just take the pick of any Championship player. It makes me wonder of someone connected to Bobby has been touting him around, either to give the impression he is available or to use the publicity in negotiations for a new contract.

Nope that website has 9.6 billion adverts on it, and they know if they make a headline that will make City fans want to click they will make money :)

40 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Parachute payment and a real chance of getting back up at the end of the season puts them in with a decent shout I would say.

If it were Sunderland or Hull that would be different

On 11/7/2017 at 19:27, Bryans Left Peg said:

As great as Bobby has been in the last 3 months, he's not exactly set the world alight in the past few seasons so I don't think his value would be that high. I'm surprised clubs are looking at him already tbh, seems like a big risk to me.

Think they should keep an eye on him, but let him stay at City for the time being:shifty:

That would very decent of them.

Archived