IGNORED

It all kicked off in Bristol (Merged)

CyderInACan

I will buy it  - It will be about City (mostly I assume,  and times which quite a few on here will remember as actually being quite exciting - we were much younger). Some of the stories should be pretty darn funny and with places, grounds and dates we recognise (if not names of people for obvious reasons) - it is not lining the pocket of anyone - it is an account of what happened "back in the day" 

12 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

This thread makes me realise just how false football is nowadays.  I still go down but it ain't like it used to be. 

By false do you mean safe? What's false about it? You may not like it but then that's life. 

57 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

By false do you mean safe? What's false about it? You may not like it but then that's life. 

You answered your own question he doesn't like it but that's life. Not sure why you've got your panties in a knot over this to be honest.

Anybody watched "The Hooligan Factory" on Netflix ? If you like a slap stick approach to football violence I would highly recommend.

The relevance is that there is a scene when the main character is ridiculed by all the other firm leaders because he has not even written a book yet so it can't be a real firm - watch it - you will laugh and despair at how stupid a film it is at the same time   :clapping::facepalm:

13 hours ago, Tall King Blox said:

Have you ever heard the term "warrior bastards" forget levi's.....it's in the genes

Yes interesting.  Thousands of years ago our village would have needed some nutters to attack our neighbouring village and bring back some of their womenfolk to freshen up the gene pool.  This behaviour had a purpose.  In modern day civilised society and where there are no wars to fight they have little to channel their anger into except at like minded young men.

Modern day psychopaths given the right upbringing become captains of industry.  Where an inflated ego and lack of empathy for your fellow man equips you to lay off thousands and still sleep soundly.  A psychopath with the wrong upbringing becomes a mass murderer. I'm not saying everyone in the CSF or any other 'firm' is a psychopath but there is a spectrum. 

It more complex and deep rooted than some would have you believe.

16 hours ago, Loon plage said:

I believe some old school asked for their names to be kept out which was respected (just what I was told).

Like changing Wiltshire to Hampshire and that other tome that shall not be mentioned!!

Lost interest years ago reading these books particularly the lies in the books from North of the river but I'm looking forward to this one as Lumber is a good lad and growing up on the terraces in the 70s and 80s was an exciting experience totally different (thankfully) with today's experience

21 hours ago, Tall King Blox said:

Agreed, it happened and to some degree it still is, that said I had some mad moments back in the seventies and early eighties, not prowed, it just was just what we did, sorry if it makes some people gag on their prawn sarnies, but tie a silk scarf round my wrist now and I'll give it a good go....is a zimmer classed as an offensive weapon ? Take care people

Ah yes, the good old zimmer - much maligned, but the weapon of choice for many an angry OAP.

The advantage being that when arrested, all you have to say is "I've been framed!"

15 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Ah yes, the good old zimmer - much maligned, but the weapon of choice for many an angry OAP.

The advantage being that when arrested, all you have to say is "I've been framed!"

Zimmers.......forget CSF... We are the infirm !!!

On July 1, 2016 at 14:42, Sir Colby-Tit said:

As I've never been a football hooligan, but after experiencing Corinthian Casuals, Battle of Elm Park, Millwall etc, I don't mind admitting I used to enjoy the buzz. I'll buy a copy. 

Oh c'mon. Anyone who was actually at Dulwich knows nothing hardly happened for that game against Corinthian Casuals. Urban legend. Oh Yeah. The battle of Elm Park. You mean we rioted behind the goal and TC came on and said stop or we are taking our ball home. Hardly a battle. They all stayed away and left it to the Police to take it on. Millwall are just a bunch of noise at home. It's away they like to make a show. We sat in the home end and side a few times at the Den and the new den.   One game with CB radios a thousand years ago and more bloody legend about their turf. Just me!

Who remembers the four idiot Forest fans in the cup who got the living shit kicked out of them and half of Notts constable had to drag them out. You hear some on here and it was if they infiltrated the away end. Yeah four tossers with a death wish. God I could go on. 

Looking forward to to the book spelling mistakes or not. 

5 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Oh c'mon. Anyone who was actually at Dulwich knows nothing hardly happened for that game against Corinthian Casuals. Urban legend. Oh Yeah. The battle of Elm Park. You mean we rioted behind the goal and TC came on and said stop or we are taking our ball home. Hardly a battle. They all stayed away and left it to the Police to take it on. Millwall are just a bunch of noise at home. It's away they like to make a show. We sat in the home end and side a few times at the Den and the new den.   One game with CB radios a thousand years ago and more bloody legend about their turf. Just me!

Who remembers the four idiot Forest fans in the cup who got the living shit kicked out of them and half of Notts constable had to drag them out. You hear some on here and it was if they infiltrated the away end. Yeah four tossers with a death wish. God I could go on. 

Experiences are subjective, and,  as a non violent teenager, I can assure you that the games I mentioned left a lasting impression on me personally. 

12 hours ago, REDOXO said:

REDOXO I've seen you dismiss this before.

I was there and the fighting was some time before KO - if you have no memory of it I can only assume you weren't in the ground yet.

We were on the side terrace and watched as a motley group of perhaps 100 or so gradually assembled behind the goal to our left and stared across at us.

We didn't know who the hell they were but some City fans obviously did because when they started to slowly move across their terrace towards ours dozens of City fans charged down the terracing to meet them head on in the corner.

As Sir Colby says it's all subjective but to me scores of men punching and kicking each other until eventually separated by police is a fairly violent confrontation, and worthy of note.

A couple of other things that exemplify the goings on of the day: The EP reported on the Monday how 2 young City fans (15 year olds iirc.) were slashed in the toilet during the match, one of them hospitalised, after naively going through the Millwall fans to use the only facilities on the opposite terrace and being attacked inside. There were no bogs in our stand if you remember - most of us pissed down the bank behind the stand.

Also a friend of mine was arrested as we were leaving the ground (long story) and carted off in a police van. We had to find the station he'd been taken to and when we eventually found it, not only did we find out he'd been beaten up on the way ( a sign of the stress the police were under that day perhaps?) but also that he was amongst many detained during the afternoon.

To me it was a bloody rough match, with a horrible atmosphere outside afterwards, and if you managed to leave the ground, and the area, unaware of all the 'aggro', lucky you, but I can assure you it's no urban myth.

47 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I was there and the fighting was some time before KO - if you have no memory of it I can only assume you weren't in the ground yet.

We were on the side terrace and watched as a motley group of perhaps 100 or so gradually assembled behind the goal to our left and stared across at us.

We didn't know who the hell they were but some City fans obviously did because when they started to slowly move across their terrace towards ours dozens of City fans charged down the terracing to meet them head on in the corner.

As Sir Colby says it's all subjective but to me scores of men punching and kicking each other until eventually separated by police is a fairly violent confrontation, and worthy of note.

A couple of other things that exemplify the goings on of the day: The EP reported on the Monday how 2 young City fans (15 year olds iirc.) were slashed in the toilet during the match, one of them hospitalised, after naively going through the Millwall fans to use the only facilities on the opposite terrace and being attacked inside. There were no bogs in our stand if you remember - most of us pissed down the bank behind the stand.

Also a friend of mine was arrested as we were leaving the ground (long story) and carted off in a police van. We had to find the station he'd been taken to and when we eventually found it, not only did we find out he'd been beaten up on the way ( a sign of the stress the police were under that day perhaps?) but also that he was amongst many detained during the afternoon.

To me it was a bloody rough match, with a horrible atmosphere outside afterwards, and if you managed to leave the ground, and the area, unaware of all the 'aggro', lucky you, but I can assure you it's no urban myth.

Same as Elm Park I think - if Groups want to have a fight so be it just keep it away from others -  from what I recall at Elm Park it was pretty nasty before during and after,  but one of the worst things was the stupid "yooths" lobbing load and loads of bottles indiscriminately into our away fans from the houses behind the ground  

- funny though I remember it pretty well but our defeat to Grimsby on an Autumn Tues night back in 1998 (or thereabouts) I can recall next to nothing................(Fish and Chips were good)

50 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

As the guy said perhaps memory is subjective.

However I got to the match stood on the side terrace with City fans behind the dugouts as I remember on the half way line  and saw a few people walk around from the other side and around behind the goal during the game, but they got nowhere close. Unless I don't remember what happened next because I was beaten senseless there was no actual fighting where we were standing while the match was in progress, if I missed pre match issues, I can not say as it seems I missed them. As you say lucky me! 

What I remember most about the day was the Daily Mail stating that Bristol City supporters had attacked a few Casuals fans and the state of thuggery in English football...A complete fiction in my recollection!

I have been to many games with more going on from what I saw, but if it was early who knows. My lucky day maybe!

Cant remember what team it was, think Sheffield United? They came at the Dolman on the pitch and there was fighting on the pitch and in the stand. There was pictures in the evil post asking to name the people. Think it was maybe early 90's.

9 minutes ago, SeaMillsRed said:

Cant remember what team it was, think Sheffield United? They came at the Dolman on the pitch and there was fighting on the pitch and in the stand. There was pictures in the evil post asking to name the people. Think it was maybe early 90's.

Plays Offs I think, late 80s

I hope the bloke is getting some good stuff from this. I remember attacks on the EE intermittently in the 70s and 80s they would normally come as charges. West Ham particularly stands out back then. It got pretty rough at away games in the 80s as we would often be mob handed compared to smaller clubs hence the book perhaps. 

Games away at WHU could get hairy as you were penned in a corner and the local coppers didn't worry to much about the coins and fence charging. Aldershot was often fun in that period as again the end was divided and coins and bottles were pretty common from the locals. 

Archived