IGNORED

It all kicked off in Bristol (Merged)

CyderInACan

5 minutes ago, weymouth red said:

Yes it's me baldy :laugh:

I recognise you mate, a bit older!, also Russell, Pete W and Mike M, I used to go round with the Kingswood lads in the '70's, went to Southampton '75 in Andy P's furniture van

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

I remember that , the OB looked completely lost. Our entire coach was nicked before kickoff but I said to the Copper that we had no other way to get back and to let us in, which he did. When we came out, and a few jumped the train, the OB had pretty much lost interest in us and we were left to go home.

Was the Reading game the one where the Copper got hit by some rubble , went down and then his dog bit him? Getting old now so could have been Swindon, or somewhere else ..... the 70's and 80's were a bit chaotic at times.

Yes, that was the game. As you say, as the copper fell to the ground he got attacked by either his dog or another nearby.

Swindon was the same season I think? Saying that, it seemed to be mad every time we went there around the early 80's.

I seem to remember City drinking in a big pub/hotel one year and there was a wedding reception upstairs, it got 'invaded' by City! but all in a good way I think? 

1 hour ago, GasDestroyer said:

The cop dog was Swindon if I remember right.  There was a near riot in the City away end. OB came in the City end to try and nick a few and it got nasty for a while with OB under attack if I remember right?  My brain is f@#cked also!!! 

The cop dog was definitely Reading mate.

Unless it happened twice.

2 hours ago, Tall King Blox said:

One for the boys who were there.....Friday night at charlton... Ffs bad karma after the game but we all made it back to the pre arranged boozer on the way home, as each car/van load walked in they were greeted with a rousing round of applause, fakin scary night, about 75ish

Talked about that match a few times on here with NBTB. 76.

2/2 Gerry Gow and Gerry Sweeney (spoke to him about it at Gerry G's do, a hint of handball but he says not and that is good enough for me) and two goals for them from one down that both seemed to sail over Ray Cashley's head.

Don't remember anything in the ground except the bloke with his tongue down a birds throat after we scored and funding the place was a bit of a mare! 

43 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Talked about that match a few times on here with NBTB. 76.

2/2 Gerry Gow and Gerry Sweeney (spoke to him about it at Gerry G's do, a hint of handball but he says not and that is good enough for me) and two goals for them from one down that both seemed to sail over Ray Cashley's head.

Don't remember anything in the ground except the bloke with his tongue down a birds throat after we scored and funding the place was a bit of a mare! 

Strange for me too, dont remember a bloody thing about the game, just the right royal kicking we had after !

On ‎09‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 18:09, Portland Bill said:

Before the game kicked off there was about 80 City who were in the main stand,( where the players came out)  it was already going off big time in Reading's side on the opposite side of the pitch. 

The shout went out for the 80 to run across the pitch just before kick off, and that's what happened, I can clearly remember the Police actually trying to get City off the pitch and into the Reading side!!! they had lost the plot by then and didn't seem to know who was who!

The terrace that City were in was in such a bad state that I saw blokes twice my age ( I was just in my 20's then) managing to move crash barriers and as the concrete came loose it was used to throw at the Police. 

It was one crazy day.

Around the same time maybe a bit later was the infamous Police van over turn play off at Walsall.

Before the game we were in a Walsall locals pub which had been taken over by City, the Walsall lads had in no uncertain terms been warned away, full of City old timers from the 60's, they hadn't been to a game in years but had vanned it to Walsall for this one, as a 20 odd year old myself they looked ancient but in reality they were probably same as me now early to mid 50's. Anyway about 2.30 I'd never seen anything like it, just smashed the pub up and walked out casual as you like. I wasn't and never have been into that but nevertheless, at the time it seemed almost normal, that's what happened.

You sort of look back at those days with good memories and disbelief all at the same time.

Nowadays I go with my daughter and sons and other family, and all that stuff was so wrong and yet, in a perverse way, better.

Remember several "van incidents" in the 80's - Bloody unstable those things!!

Bournemouth home (when they got promoted) by Fools & Horses tower block. Hereford away (Freight Rover night game, went off outside the ground, and pool/ golf balls flying around inside the ground), to name two. Oh Yeh, Newport away another.  Newport used to like a ruck.

1 hour ago, GasDestroyer said:

Remember several "van incidents" in the 80's - Bloody unstable those things!!

Bournemouth home (when they got promoted) by Fools & Horses tower block. Hereford away (Freight Rover night game, went off outside the ground, and pool/ golf balls flying around inside the ground), to name two. Oh Yeh, Newport away another.  Newport used to like a ruck.

Lot of Baadiff there that day !

On 09/07/2016 at 18:57, Tall King Blox said:

Swindon rings a bell, I think the early train ( 9 o. Clock ) went crazy and took the gates off the town end emergency exit a piled in ! I stand to be corrected ???

That Swindon was about 73.

A train load of us got to the ground before they had opened and pushed the big old wooden gates at the open end flat.We then walked around the terraces and filled the the Town end.After about 20 min's 30 or so old bill with dogs came at us and it was carnage with fans biting dogs and dogs biting fans..:laugh:.

I used to hire a Turners coach in them days and would pick up at Highridge,Withywood,Knowle,Malago and Southmead.Some of Bristol's finest people?.On the odd occasion the coach would leave the city centre after the Stage Door club had closed about 3 in the morning and them trips were a good crack.Carlisle was one such occasion when the whole coach got knicked except the two Deaf & Dumb guys.

I got done twice for football aggro in them days and spent 14 months on holiday so calmed down a bit in the late 70's but i could give him some good stories.

On 09/07/2016 at 20:20, Portland Bill said:

Yes, that was the game. As you say, as the copper fell to the ground he got attacked by either his dog or another nearby.

Swindon was the same season I think? Saying that, it seemed to be mad every time we went there around the early 80's.

I seem to remember City drinking in a big pub/hotel one year and there was a wedding reception upstairs, it got 'invaded' by City! but all in a good way I think? 

1 hour ago, BobbyC said:

A train load of us got to the ground before they had opened and pushed the big old wooden gates at the open end flat.We then walked around the terraces and filled the the Town end.After about 20 min's 30 or so old bill with dogs came at us and it was carnage with fans biting dogs and dogs biting fans..:laugh:.

I used to hire a Turners coach in them days and would pick up at Highridge,Withywood,Knowle,Malago and Southmead.Some of Bristol's finest people?.On the odd occasion the coach would leave the city centre after the Stage Door club had closed about 3 in the morning and them trips were a good crack.Carlisle was one such occasion when the whole coach got knicked except the two Deaf & Dumb guys.

I got done twice for football aggro in them days and spent 14 months on holiday so calmed down a bit in the late 70's but i could give him some good stories.

Whenever I hear "Schools Out" by Alice Cooper I always get a flashback of that day! August '72

1 hour ago, BobbyC said:

Ah the infamous 22 ! I was on that coach, crazy thing about it was we hired a coach for the court case, there was more madness on that trip than at the original match!!

On 9 July 2016 at 19:48, Tall King Blox said:

That van is the stuff of legends !

Probably a different furniture van, but I can remember being in a car on the way to Hereford about 82 ish. We were behind what looked an ordinary furniture van and all of a sudden the back door was pulled up, inside were about 30 City just lounging around as if they were in someone's front room!!! Did we laugh!!

Archived