IGNORED

It all kicked off in Bristol (Merged)

CyderInACan

54 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Well, simply as a reality check Stortz, I've been to 15 different away grounds in the past two seasons. I'll be at Rotherham on Saturday and Wednesday next week. I recall a decent curry and a beautiful sunny evening in Bradford, drinks with Fulham fans by the river, a can of lager in the street with my son's Charlton supporting mate, queueing with Barnsley supporters for fish & chips, even a fairly entertaining conversation with some deluded Swindon fans after their win at their place. I've not seen any trouble in that time. All I can say is that if it was there it was easy to avoid.

I'm certainly glad to hear that but fail to see what relevance it has to the point I made?

Here it is again: although it would be delightful if everyone got on together outside football grounds, it is not the case at the moment at the majority of grounds around the country that a large group of away fans can group together and sing songs outside the ground or pubs of the home teams without some sort of reaction, be that from home fans or the police. I am not saying this is a good thing.

8 minutes ago, Stortz said:

I'm certainly glad to hear that but fail to see what relevance it has to the point I made?

Here it is again: although it would be delightful if everyone got on together outside football grounds, it is not the case at the moment at the majority of grounds around the country that a large group of away fans can group together and sing songs outside the ground or pubs of the home teams without some sort of reaction, be that from home fans or the police. I am not saying this is a good thing.

Let alone enter those pubs.

32 minutes ago, Stortz said:

The reason I'm posting on this thread at all Stortz is to make a point of my own, namely that violence at football grounds around the country is not the norm and that it's been perfectly possible to attend City matches home and away for the past couple of decades and easily avoid it.

And why am I making that point...which probably seems obvious to most posters on OTIB who travel with City? It's because we know that this Forum is read by people who might not regularly attend matches, be they casual supporters, local residents or the local press.

It would be wrong to imply that violence is an inherent threat outside grounds or at matches. In my considerable experience of watching City it simply isn't...unless, if other posters are to be believed, you are looking for it. As I'm not looking for it I can't comment on people who are, they clearly live in a different world to me.

Interesting thread, as I said in an earlier post. You learn something new every day!

• Admin
19 hours ago, richwwtk said:

What you're trying to have us believe is that there are Aston Villa fans (and other clubs maybe) that travel to Bristol to arrive after the match has started so they can invade the 'home' pubs, leaving before the end of the match?

That is EXACTLY what happens - maybe not deliberately but "stragglers" leaving pubs late, then getting to the ground late

Have you honestly never noticed away allocations where a large group of fans stroll in 10-15 minutes late?

1 hour ago, Red Exile said:

The reason I'm posting on this thread at all Stortz is to make a point of my own, namely that violence at football grounds around the country is not the norm and that it's been perfectly possible to attend City matches home and away for the past couple of decades and easily avoid it.

And why am I making that point...which probably seems obvious to most posters on OTIB who travel with City? It's because we know that this Forum is read by people who might not regularly attend matches, be they casual supporters, local residents or the local press.

It would be wrong to imply that violence is an inherent threat outside grounds or at matches. In my considerable experience of watching City it simply isn't...unless, if other posters are to be believed, you are looking for it. As I'm not looking for it I can't comment on people who are, they clearly live in a different world to me.

Interesting thread, as I said in an earlier post. You learn something new every day!

Ok, last post on the topic for me, as we seem to be going around in circles. I'm not sure if you're deliberately obfuscating the point I'm trying to make or ignoring it entirely.

At no stage did I say violence was an inherent threat at any football ground. At no stage did I say violence at a football ground was desirable, in fact I have been at pains to suggest otherwise. At no stage did I say that all fans always witness trouble at grounds.

I have simply stated (here it is for the fourth time, get ready!) that large groups of away fans cannot mass together and sing outside the stadium itself or home pubs close to grounds without a response, be that from the police or home fans, at the vast majority of grounds in this country.

I genuinely hope you carry on avoiding all such incidents at games, but that doesn't mean to say they don't happen. I shall bid you good day!

• Admin
20 hours ago, hollydog said:

About a minute after 3.

Really?

The OP's post referred to people coming to the environs of the ground after the game had started so that's the time period I'm referring to. 

20 hours ago, Loon plage said:

Edit 1 minute after 3pm not what I was referring to at all.

Yup, it was later than the time you refer to @hollydog

Just now, phantom said:

That is EXACTLY what happens - maybe not deliberately but "stragglers" leaving pubs late, then getting to the ground late

Have you honestly never noticed away allocations where a large group of fans stroll in 10-15 minutes late?

Stragglers leaving the pub a few minutes late is one thing, and there's not a whole lot wrong with trying to squeeze that extra pint in, but to turn up after the match has started so you can 'take over' an empty pub and not even bother going to the match is just lunacy.

6 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Stragglers leaving the pub a few minutes late is one thing, and there's not a whole lot wrong with trying to squeeze that extra pint in, but to turn up after the match has started so you can 'take over' an empty pub and not even bother going to the match is just lunacy.

Lunacy indeed but reality nevertheless trust me.

The reality isn't actually empty pubs but those containing locals who are not going to the game having to defend themselves against coked up drunk aggressors. The police are fully aware of this yet choose to ignore it

1 hour ago, Stortz said:

Ok, last post on the topic for me, as we seem to be going around in circles. I'm not sure if you're deliberately obfuscating the point I'm trying to make or ignoring it entirely.

At no stage did I say violence was an inherent threat at any football ground. At no stage did I say violence at a football ground was desirable, in fact I have been at pains to suggest otherwise. At no stage did I say that all fans always witness trouble at grounds.

I have simply stated (here it is for the fourth time, get ready!) that large groups of away fans cannot mass together and sing outside the stadium itself or home pubs close to grounds without a response, be that from the police or home fans, at the vast majority of grounds in this country.

I genuinely hope you carry on avoiding all such incidents at games, but that doesn't mean to say they don't happen. I shall bid you good day!

No offence intended or taken...I think wires have got crossed...but anyhow I feel that an exciting season beckons, thanks for your good wishes.

19 hours ago, phantom said:

Used to happen regularly at Wycmbe (a) when the "entertainment" on offer at the White Horse was by far and away better than that on the pitch. 

On 6 September 2016 at 09:48, richwwtk said:

I am doing it a lot less now because I know it annoys people, but it just really bugs me when people come on here glamourising and legitimising violence and nobody says a thing! I'll go back to being quiet now.

Thank god for that.

I honestly hope you are never a victim of hooliganism, because I've seen plenty of shirters getting a kicking from the likes of Cardiff and the the like, of course your idealistic bubble you live in will protect you.

Do you know how many times we've had to stand and protect innocent people from getting kickings, who knows it could have you been saved a good hiding by one of our lot, but as you know everything about hooliganism carry on chatting behind your keyboard.

On 8 September 2016 at 12:18, Loon plage said:

Lunacy indeed but reality nevertheless trust me.

The reality isn't actually empty pubs but those containing locals who are not going to the game having to defend themselves against coked up drunk aggressors. The police are fully aware of this yet choose to ignore it

I don't even bloody like football, I just like the aggro and deliberately getting hassled by old bill, missing half the game that I can't enjoy because I'm wired up on sniff and nursing my black eye.

unfortunatelly theres a few on here that'll believe the above sentence.............

Although half of its true, I hate football!

If you think there is only trouble if you look for it then you're very wrong, maybe you wear a shirt and shoes when you're at football so nobody bothers you but saying it's easy to avoid is quite simply inaccurate.

I'm 21 & get abuse chucked at me basically every game, any away games you can guarantee a group of 'hooligans' will be giving it the large as they outnumber us, there's been several occasions where we've had to defend ourselves against away fans when we've literally been walking to and from the ground without being slightly boisterous.

On 28/01/2017 at 09:29, phantom said:

Last I saw was the photos were being taken for the covers, final proof read etc was done.

Launch is imminent 

Weren't the photos done in the Lions on the day of the Cardiff game? Pretty sure the "Offical" Three Lions photographer told me  about this a few weeks ago. 

• Admin
4 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Weren't the photos done in the Lions on the day of the Cardiff game? Pretty sure the "Offical" Three Lions photographer told me  about this a few weeks ago. 

Could be right - just what I read on the guys facebook account

On Saturday, January 28, 2017 at 10:24, ziderheadarmy said:

Can't recall the title or be that bothered to search on here for the thread but is the book now out ? If so is it worth a read ? 

Ps before any wise guys poo up some of us don't live on this forum like others ! 

poo up ?

13 hours ago, ziderheadarmy said:

Seems a long time in the making ? Shakespeare knocked up plays quicker than this...

I think you'll find "William Shakespeare" had a team of writers/was a team of writers/his canon was the work of a number of different writers/will turn out to have been a woman.

Controversial? Discuss.....

6 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

I think you'll find "William Shakespeare" had a team of writers/was a team of writers/his canon was the work of a number of different writers/will turn out to have been a woman.

Controversial? Discuss.....

I thought he was Big Billy S. Top boy in the Stratford-upon-Avon crew, The Naughty Poets. 

Archived