IGNORED

It all kicked off in Bristol (Merged)

CyderInACan

11 minutes ago, TRL said:

How did a newbie get the okay from mods to make his one and only post a threatening one? And if it isn't classed as threatening I'd like to know what meeting face to face generally means from a self styled hooligan 

That said the tone of the post doesn't surprise me considering the subject matter of his book!

I have no concerns with the book per se, apart from the tired, covered a million times, subject matter based on some truth, half truth's and drunken memories.

Hope you have enough like minded people to make it a worthwhile financial venture for you. Maybe you want to donate some of the money made from it, to the NHS for money and time wasted treating retarded football fans who shouldn't have needed treating in the first place.

very underhanded threat alert.........if you don't like it keep your nose out

On 13/05/2017 at 23:54, Paul Lumber said:

Anyone got a problem, with me writing a book? Then express your concerns face to face, don't  hide behind dopey names CSF84

You have every right to write a book, just as we have every right to mock said book and pour scorn on the subject matter.

1 minute ago, richwwtk said:

You have every right to write a book, just as we have every right to mock said book and pour scorn on the subject matter.

I could 'mock and pour scorn' on articles on Kim Kardashian via the Daily Mail comment section, but I choose not to because it doesn't interest me. Whilst you may not read the book yourself, clearly others probably will and find it interesting.

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I could 'mock and pour scorn' on articles on Kim Kardashian via the Daily Mail comment section, but I choose not to because it doesn't interest me. Whilst you may not read the book yourself, clearly others probably will and find it interesting.

I certainly would ignore it, and not even be aware of it's existence. But funnily enough, I'm a City supporter and read the City Forum, so when it appears on here I don't have a lot of choice but to be aware of it.

I just hope that, when the book is released, it is properly categorised in the Comedy section.

Also, people being obsessed with Kim Kardashian has absolutely zero impact on any facet of my life. People being dicks at football matches however, does. We are subject to stricter scrutiny than fans of any other sports which results in higher costs and therefore ticket prices, along with the freedom to drink whilst watching the game if I choose to, as well as affecting the choice between standing or sitting. I think we have every right to take the piss out of the people who somehow think that football hooliganism is somehow important or acceptable.

27 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I certainly would ignore it, and not even be aware of it's existence. But funnily enough, I'm a City supporter and read the City Forum, so when it appears on here I don't have a lot of choice but to be aware of it.

I just hope that, when the book is released, it is properly categorised in the Comedy section.

Also, people being obsessed with Kim Kardashian has absolutely zero impact on any facet of my life. People being dicks at football matches however, does. We are subject to stricter scrutiny than fans of any other sports which results in higher costs and therefore ticket prices, along with the freedom to drink whilst watching the game if I choose to, as well as affecting the choice between standing or sitting. I think we have every right to take the piss out of the people who somehow think that football hooliganism is somehow important or acceptable.

Up to you, but any regular reader of the forum knows your well entrenched views on the subject. I don't know what benefit there is to repeating them on all similar threads. I thought you'd said before you were no longer going to get dragged in?

28 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Like it or nit it was part of the game years ago.you have every right to disagree but not really to take the piss.

50 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I've avoided this debate till now but

You must have led a very sheltered life , and your constant 'holier than thou' preaching is as shocking as I would guess are some elements of the book

or maybe a lot more people have led one where there is reality whether we partake or don't , approve or not

13 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Up to you, but any regular reader of the forum knows your well entrenched views on the subject. I don't know what benefit there is to repeating them on all similar threads. I thought you'd said before you were no longer going to get dragged in?

Some people just can't help themselves. There are a few on here who are attracted to certain subjects like a moth to a flame, most notably 1 on anything to do with Gary Johnson and a slightly newer phenomenon of 1 who is the same with Steve Cotterill.

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

1. You can be aware, but you are totally free to ignore the subject - but you don't...repeatedly.

2. I am convinced that violence of any kind shouldn't be regarded as comedy and I am surprised that someone like yourself should see otherwise.

3. Hooligansim nowadays is all but dead. The police know this as does the the club. Ticket prices and scrutiny now have nothing to do with what happened in the mid 80's to late 90's, which is I believe the subject matter of the book.

4. Sitting or standing is nothing to do with hooliganism, unless you believe that Hillsborough was ?

5.Ask most people who sit at rugby matches how much of a ballache it is when tossers continually express their right to drink in the ground.

6. I think that unless you have read the book (have you) you are not in a position to determine that the author thinks that hooligansim is now important or acceptable.Therefore taking the piss out of the author is pretty dense to be fair, but not unexpected.

22 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

1. You can be aware, but you are totally free to ignore the subject - but you don't...repeatedly.

2. I am convinced that violence of any kind shouldn't be regarded as comedy and I am surprised that someone like yourself should see otherwise.

3. Hooligansim nowadays is all but dead. The police know this as does the the club. Ticket prices and scrutiny now have nothing to do with what happened in the mid 80's to late 90's, which is I believe the subject matter of the book.

4. Sitting or standing is nothing to do with hooliganism, unless you believe that Hillsborough was ?

5.Ask most people who sit at rugby matches how much of a ballache it is when tossers continually express their right to drink in the ground.

6. I think that unless you have read the book (have you) you are not in a position to determine that the author thinks that hooligansim is now important or acceptable.Therefore taking the piss out of the author is pretty dense to be fair, but not unexpected.

What about that Wolves fan who was recently put in hospital? There has not been a court case yet, but I hope that was not football violence, as I really hoped hooliganism was dead. You can be passionate without hitting someone else for supporting another team.

It's social history and an aspect of the life of club supporters as much as the story of someone's Grandad taking the train to the 1909 cup final or a memoir of the days when it was not uncommon for Bristolians to hold a season ticket for both City and Rovers.

It's not a live blog encouraging people to get out and give the opposition a kicking at the next game.

It is perfectly legitimate to flag its publication up on here as a lot of fans on here will be interested in buying it.

all you gotta do is see thread and not comment but no you cant leave it alone can you....

• Admin

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

This is the part I don't understand - we all know the views of @richwwtk on this subject, but amazes me how he is nearly always the first to reply to any thread on the topic.

Clearly you have strong feelings, but why keep coming back (especially on a thread like this) and KEEP repeating the same thing over and over again?

2 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

It is perfectly legitimate to flag its publication up on here as a lot of fans on here will be interested in buying it.

..... and that is the bottom line - people on here WILL be interested in the publication

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

This is the part I don't understand - we all know the views of @richwwtk on this subject, but amazes me how he is nearly always the first to reply to any thread on the topic.

Clearly you have strong feelings, but why keep coming back (especially on a thread like this) and KEEP repeating the same thing over and over again?

..... and that is the bottom line - people on here WILL be interested in the publication

tenor.gif

40 minutes ago, hoxton casual said:

What about that Wolves fan who was recently put in hospital? There has not been a court case yet, but I hope that was not football violence, as I really hoped hooliganism was dead. You can be passionate without hitting someone else for supporting another team.

All but dead. 

Not dead.

More to that incident than has been reported on this forum and quite right too.

I started watching in 87, this is the era that I grew up in the football sense with. I'll absolutely buy a copy, I didn't get involved in any of it, might have got caught up in a few hairy situations down the years and a few times I was mighty glad to see the cavalry arrive so I could get the **** out of there!

I've read loads of books on the subject, I find it quite fascinating - so fair play to Paul for writing it

Part of my childhood, my choice, and all that

If you're not interested, don't reply. I read the politics thread on the non football chat, many a time I thought about adding my thoughts or calling someone out on bs, but I can't be bothered to have the argument. It's pretty easy to ignore shit you really want to ignore

I'll certainly buy a copy. I was born in the mid 90s so I haven't even seen much hooliganism and it's always something that's interested me. I know a few lads who have been involved with it a few years ago but I don't have any first had experience or viewing. Will be interesting to see the goings on and how it all unfolded etc. 

• Admin
35 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

I started watching in 87, this is the era that I grew up in the football sense with. I'll absolutely buy a copy, I didn't get involved in any of it, might have got caught up in a few hairy situations down the years and a few times I was mighty glad to see the cavalry arrive so I could get the **** out of there!

I've read loads of books on the subject, I find it quite fascinating - so fair play to Paul for writing it

Part of my childhood, my choice, and all that

If you're not interested, don't reply. I read the politics thread on the non football chat, many a time I thought about adding my thoughts or calling someone out on bs, but I can't be bothered to have the argument. It's pretty easy to ignore shit you really want to ignore

100% same as me @Woodsy 87 was my first year

First game I attended, I was stood in the park with police horses chasing Argyle and City fans all over the place

Will be an interesting read

Don't condone violence in any way but, home and away since the late 60's, I've been thankful for our lot on more than one occasion.

Personally, don't think having a 'reputation' had/has affected the risk to ordinary supporters. The lesser Club 'bullies' tend to stay away and not cause trouble, the bigger boys were/are normallly well-policed. 

Interesting to compare us, say, with Torquay. The Sags regularly made incursions into the home areas and caused grief to their 'passive' fans. In the last decade at AG a few Leeds tried it, have they ever attempted it again? The likes of Millwall are well policed when they visit, as were Brum a couple of weeks back. 

Yes, it would be better if no trouble had ever occurred but the 'tribal' past existed and I look forward to reading the book as a bit of social history. While, I enjoy the current 'product', it's a totally different offering. 

27 minutes ago, phantom said:

100% same as me @Woodsy 87 was my first year

First game I attended, I was stood in the park with police horses chasing Argyle and City fans all over the place

Will be an interesting read

And, as others have said, that's how it was back then. It was a different time to watch football

Doesn't make it right, but I'm looking forward to hearing about what went on. If that makes me a **** in some peoples eyes, then so be it

8 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

And, as others have said, that's how it was back then. It was a different time to watch football

Doesn't make it right, but I'm looking forward to hearing about what went on. If that makes me a **** in some peoples eyes, then so be it

It was different times, truly frightening yet exhilarating sometimes, I'll probably flick through it if on sale in Waterstones but I'm sure it will be like most other books on this matter, full of inaccuracies, exaggerations and mistruths, can't wait!

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 16:53, bs3 said:

I played for Bristol City Timbers in the mid 90s which home base was the 3 horse shoes on a Saturday. 

The Sunday team which was based at the horseshoes and then 3 lions was Uplands construction which I also played for.

What team did you play for , I don't recall this match, I don't recall any team being called the 3 horseshoe in the mid 90s. It may have been a different 3 horseshoe pub.

and me!

4 hours ago, richwwtk said:

Football hooliganism is very important.so important it shaped the way stadiums are today thanks to the Taylor report.

As any footie fan who watched there clubs in the 80,s will tell you hooliganism was rife.

As was all decent fans being treated like the enemy and animals herded into pens and fenced in.

Like it or lump it football hooliganism was very real,and important

First game I was allowed to go to on my own was 71, Sunderland at home. Went on the EE and couldn't understand what the Sun'land fans were doing there. Shortly after a shout goes up, it kicks off and they went running onto the pitch. Cockily walking up to the open end they were then attacked from both enclosures, that was my intro to going to football with my mates, and this was fairly regular type of thing. Going away was at times hairy , it was a different time . Now you wouldn't walk into the home end to be asked by a Spurs fan what the time was, look up and see a mass of cockneys like I did  , it happened. 
I'll read it, as @Woodsy said , I've also read a few. They do vary (Steaming in was good if you like that sort of thing) and with this one, I expect I was at many games mentioned, that will add interest. 
As with anything, you're not interested , just ignore it. 

23 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

First game I was allowed to go to on my own was 71, Sunderland at home. Went on the EE and couldn't understand what the Sun'land fans were doing there. Shortly after a shout goes up, it kicks off and they went running onto the pitch. Cockily walking up to the open end they were then attacked from both enclosures, that was my intro to going to football with my mates, and this was fairly regular type of thing. Going away was at times hairy , it was a different time . Now you wouldn't walk into the home end to be asked by a Spurs fan what the time was, look up and see a mass of cockneys like I did  , it happened. 
I'll read it, as @Woodsy said , I've also read a few. They do vary (Steaming in was good if you like that sort of thing) and with this one, I expect I was at many games mentioned, that will add interest. 
As with anything, you're not interested , just ignore it. 

Managed to find my way  on the front of the original book !

2/3 up on rhs, sat up next to the flag - to the left of  me are a group of City Lads who came from Keynsham 

IMG_1115.JPG.b7350dbf15a68c94013c1b353a364a4d.JPG

Got a copy on pre-order on Amazon. Like others I have read all the Cass Pennant/ Bill Gardener/ Carlton Leach/ Marriner/ Brimson etc books. Not everyone's bag maybe, but no-one is forcing anyone to buy a copy. Looking forward to what will hopefully be a good read!

On 11/05/2017 at 22:17, Rossi the Robin said:

We played against the Three Horseshoes Sunday morning footy about 20 years ago

They were flying top of the league,really  good side but had that edge which helps sometimes 

Came out to the sticks, where I was living and playing for at the time

We found ourselves 3 or 4 up against the run of play- they lost there heads and started scoring own goals - left back dribbled around 3 teammates and lobbed the keeper 

In the end we won 11-1 and got Evil Post team of the week 

Classic memory, for me 

Didnt realise it was a 'City' pub like it is now 

There must have been just one reader or member on this forum who can remember this, just one? 

What side did you play for? 

Archived