IGNORED

It all kicked off in Bristol (Merged)

CyderInACan

On 9/23/2017 at 11:44, GasDestroyer said:

Lots of stories to tell ref Birmingham away/home, Notts Forest away, Millwall home/away, Aldershot away, Rovers away, Bolton away, Watford home, Chelsea home and many others but will let the book do it's job.

Aldershot away - that brings back memories :laugh: (and it was all quite funny - no innocents were hurt etc)

This Aldershot ?? 
A mate was into photography and happened to have his camera. We were in the corner you can see, we were told it was Pompey (their game was off) came in the back of the stand throwing scolding hot tea at those there and steaming in. Then some of our lot from the open end joined , regrouped and ... this.

21686151_10155687739584254_4135515562744

21766857_10155687739594254_5257167742912

21762188_10155687739614254_5225755162955

The one above is a new scan, I even managed to pick myself out.

21687472_10155687739589254_2725898054324

Some legends in one of those pics from Aldershot.

One of the things I always remember from days away with Bristol City, in the 80s, was that you could usually tell if it was going to "go off". Usually the home game before, "word got round". When the day came it was almost a guarantee as soon as you got on the choo choo.  It was just a sense of being together with a group of lads who were 100% behind each other and would defend our club & its rep around the country (yes we had a rep!). Most clubs had a firm (big to small) and sometimes you came across the unexpected - remember an episode in Ashby de la Zouch once on the way home. Regular stop off at one stage. Was unexpected!

Certain parts of south Bristol and other parts such as Southmead, Barton Hill, Hanham, Kingswood, & other parts, all came together. Then you had the Taunton Lamps who were legendary! Hope the book covers the great commaradarie we all experienced and some of the characters as it really was a "football family" and not just a "firm".

Then there were games when we surprised the oppo.

Remember an amateur Sunday league match when certain local south Bristol club played certain Gas supported club. Was one of the funniest things I ever experienced. Made the EP! And no OB! Feelings ran high between us and them at one time. Even Super Bob hated them!

Great days out!

2 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

One of the things I always remember from days away with Bristol City, in the 80s, was that you could usually tell if it was going to "go off". Usually the home game before, "word got round". When the day came it was almost a guarantee as soon as you got on the choo choo.  It was just a sense of being together with a group of lads who were 100% behind each other and would defend our club & its rep around the country (yes we had a rep!). Most clubs had a firm (big to small) and sometimes you came across the unexpected - remember an episode in Ashby de la Zouch once on the way home. Regular stop off at one stage. Was unexpected!

Certain parts of south Bristol and other parts such as Southmead, Barton Hill, Hanham, Kingswood, & other parts, all came together. Then you had the Taunton Lamps who were legendary! Hope the book covers the great commaradarie we all experienced and some of the characters as it really was a "football family" and not just a "firm".

Remember an amateur Sunday league match when certain local south Bristol club played certain Gas supported club. Was one of the funniest things I ever experienced. Made the EP! And no OB! Feelings ran high between us and them at one time. Even Super Bob hated them!

Great days out!

Its not the same these days but there's still the togetherness and excitement that a big away day will bring, however now the biggest firm in the country is the filth that police the games; complete with baton heavy tactics and appalling attitude.

We have still got a rep as one of the best in the country, on our day there's not many that can match us, maybe we will get a team that can say the same in the near future.

14 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

Great days out!

Ah Ashby,can remember walking into a hotel restaurant and seeing loads of KW lads getting stuck into  a fine dining experience,unfortunately they forgot to pay,must of thought it was included in the price of the coach ticket. The local football match was the Sunday after we played Millwall,and the word was spread,good turnout for a Sunday morning game !

The last 15 minutes of Inside Out West on BBC One last night had a feature on a former City hooligan John Nation. Heard he followed Villa/England around Europe too before being banged up. He came out of prison and became a youth worker and looked after the likes of Banksy and Inkie at Barton Hill youth club. Now runs his own street art tours around Bristol...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b097ywn5/inside-out-west-09102017

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g186220-d4080089-r474727222-Bristol_Street_Art_Tours-Bristol_England.html

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The last 15 minutes of Inside Out West on BBC One last night had a feature on a former City hooligan John Nation. Heard he followed Villa/England around Europe too before being banged up. He came out of prison and became a youth worker and looked after the likes of Banksy and Inkie at Barton Hill youth club. Now runs his own street art tours around Bristol...

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g186220-d4080089-r474727222-Bristol_Street_Art_Tours-Bristol_England.html

John”pay for nothing”Nation.

3 hours ago, NOTBLUE said:

Ah Ashby,can remember walking into a hotel restaurant and seeing loads of KW lads getting stuck into  a fine dining experience,unfortunately they forgot to pay,must of thought it was included in the price of the coach ticket. The local football match was the Sunday after we played Millwall,and the word was spread,good turnout for a Sunday morning game !

Got a feeling we were home to Walsall the day before the IOC played the Essex

8 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

remember back around mid 80s JN was on one of the local bbc programmes all about football/clothes/agro etc

9 hours ago, NOTBLUE said:

Gate crashing wedding receptions &/or private parties on a Saturday evening on the way back from football happened several times. Usually it was the chance of a free fine feast that lured us in.

Back in the 80's you could always spot a KW lad on an "away day"as he usually wore a green wax proofed Barbour jacket with massive pockets - not sure why the pockets were so BIG though? Some right characters in amongst them!

On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 09:35, 1960maaan said:

This Aldershot ?? 
A mate was into photography and happened to have his camera. We were in the corner you can see, we were told it was Pompey (their game was off) came in the back of the stand throwing scolding hot tea at those there and steaming in. Then some of our lot from the open end joined , regrouped and ... this.

21686151_10155687739584254_4135515562744

21766857_10155687739594254_5257167742912

21762188_10155687739614254_5225755162955

The one above is a new scan, I even managed to pick myself out.

21687472_10155687739589254_2725898054324

and the tennis court fences got left in a mess behind that stand looking out

6 hours ago, harrys said:

Got a feeling we were home to Walsall the day before the IOC played the Essex

Hi Harrys, was'nt going to mention the pubs but yeh, it was the Inns Of Court v The Essex Arms.

Good job smartphones did not exist in those days, as there would have been a mass round up/door knocking session from A&S OB on the following week!!  Was a very memorable weekend that one. 

1 hour ago, GasDestroyer said:

Hi Harrys, was'nt going to mention the pubs but yeh, it was the Inns Of Court v The Essex Arms.

Good job smartphones did not exist in those days, as there would have been a mass round up/door knocking session from A&S OB on the following week!!  Was a very memorable weekend that one. 

There were some nuts who played for the IOC, sure was a nutty morning with the Essex players and the ref being chased off the pitch

1 hour ago, GasDestroyer said:

Gate crashing wedding receptions &/or private parties on a Saturday evening on the way back from football happened several times. Usually it was the chance of a free fine feast that lured us in.

Back in the 80's you could always spot a KW lad on an "away day"as he usually wore a green wax proofed Barbour jacket with massive pockets - not sure why the pockets were so BIG though? Some right characters in amongst them!

Accidently gate crashed a wedding reception before Bury away once, genuinely felt bad looking back, just another one cheap away day watching city. We never paid for anything if we could help it. Travelling 1St class was always our way on the chuffer, would give the inspector a bit of cash for him to look the other way and if we were going on someone's coach we'd help ourselves in the offy on route to the pick up point and help ourselves to whatever the service station had in the way of food. 

Things may have changed but there is still a blag to be had on an away day, still love travelling to the unknown seeing what we can get for free, special mention to my partner in crime mate up here @King Carrot

On 9/22/2017 at 14:28, Woodsy said:

I wouldn't waste your breath!

Threads like these always turn into these slanging matches, you either 'get it', or you don't. I've never been involved, but I 'get it', I want to read the book. It's so ******* easy to ignore if you aren't interested

Our lads are flying on the pitch, and we're bitching at each other like 14 year old girls (I know, I have one of those) on a thread about a bygone era

Probably a bit before your time, but there were several paperback books out in the mid-1970s entitled Chopper, Skinhead and similar - some of our older members will undoubtedly recall them.

The writing was pretty abysmal, but they were 'interesting' reading, a step up from the 'Commando' cartoon books we read some years earlier.

My point is, like you, I was never a Hells Angel (Chopper) or a skinhead, but the books were, vicariously, quite enjoyable nevertheless, and I recall saying similar things to friends and family - if you don't like it, don't read it.

On 9/23/2017 at 22:54, GasDestroyer said:

I know him very well also Weepywall.

Went away with him for many years. He got nicked, banged up for a stretch at the Reading riot. Craziest day I knew at football, apart from a few England away games.

He used to get on the "billy whizz" and was usually pissed. Not sure how he is still alive actually.

In Thailand currently :laugh:.

Is RM from Bath 'Angus', who often wore a sheepskin coat, or am I thinking of somebody else?

6 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Probably a bit before your time, but there were several paperback books out in the mid-1970s entitled Chopper, Skinhead and similar - some of our older members will undoubtedly recall them.

The writing was pretty abysmal, but they were 'interesting' reading, a step up from the 'Commando' cartoon books we read some years earlier.

My point is, like you, I was never a Hells Angel (Chopper) or a skinhead, but the books were, vicariously, quite enjoyable nevertheless, and I recall saying similar things to friends and family - if you don't like it, don't read it.

Wasn't there a book called "Suede head" or is my memory playing tricks with me?

1 hour ago, harrys said:

Wasn't there a book called "Suede head" or is my memory playing tricks with me?

There was indeed a book called Suedehead,my brother had a copy,as he was a “Suede head”,basically a skinhead with slightly longer hair.

7 minutes ago, NOTBLUE said:

There was indeed a book called Suedehead,my brother had a copy,as he was a “Suede head”,basically a skinhead with slightly longer hair.

I always thought suedeheads were more mod than skinhead in their clothes, music etc.

Confusing times - I think I had a parka jacket, bondage trousers, doc martens and a “wedge” haircut at the same time listening to mainly The Specials, The Who and The Sex Pistols !! 

8 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

Accidently gate crashed a wedding reception before Bury away once, genuinely felt bad looking back, just another one cheap away day watching city. We never paid for anything if we could help it. Travelling 1St class was always our way on the chuffer, would give the inspector a bit of cash for him to look the other way and if we were going on someone's coach we'd help ourselves in the offy on route to the pick up point and help ourselves to whatever the service station had in the way of food. 

Things may have changed but there is still a blag to be had on an away day, still love travelling to the unknown seeing what we can get for free, special mention to my partner in crime mate up here @King Carrot

Getting things for free or otherwise called ' stealing ' .

25 minutes ago, Neo said:

I always thought suedeheads were more mod than skinhead in their clothes, music etc.

Confusing times - I think I had a parka jacket, bondage trousers, doc martens and a “wedge” haircut at the same time listening to mainly The Specials, The Who and The Sex Pistols !! 

My brother was a Suede head in about 1972-73,he was wearing Oxford bag trousers,Prince of Wales check,but still had his brogues and loafers,and crombie coat.

Archived