IGNORED

It all kicked off in Bristol (Merged)

CyderInACan

2 hours ago, BigTone said:

Have to agree as the PC brigade have taken the fun and humour out of life these days ...................................... oops, sorry I shouldn't have said that !!

What did you used to do that you can't now that has made life so unbearably dull?

Football Hooliganism was indeed a different time, but if the only enjoyment you got out of life was belting ten tons of crap out of someone then I would suggest your life wasn't really that much fun to start with.

It was also still illegal then, just that the police weren't quite so heavy handed about it.

20 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

What did you used to do that you can't now that has made life so unbearably dull?

Football Hooliganism was indeed a different time, but if the only enjoyment you got out of life was belting ten tons of crap out of someone then I would suggest your life wasn't really that much fun to start with.

It was also still illegal then, just that the police weren't quite so heavy handed about it.

Lets get one thing very straight so all can understand. I never said that life was better because of football hooliganism so don't even try to throw that back in my face. I despise it like many others. What I said was that life was more humorous and bearable without the PC bridgade. These days you can't fart without the do-gooders getting involved. Frankly it is tiresome and pathetic in the same way that people these days try to twist your words to support their own agenda.

3 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Lets get one thing very straight so all can understand. I never said that life was better because of football hooliganism so don't even try to throw that back in my face. I despise it like many others. What I said was that life was more humorous and bearable without the PC bridgade. These days you can't fart without the do-gooders getting involved. Frankly it is tiresome and pathetic in the same way that people these days try to twist your words to support their own agenda.

I think you better go and sit down in your safe space Tone :)

3 minutes ago, TRL said:

I think you better go and sit down in your safe space Tone :)

Might be a good idea because some people are starting to piss me off when they try and manipulate what has been said to support their own argument. Do they not understand the English language FFS.

Just now, BigTone said:

Might be a good idea because some people are starting to piss me off when they try and manipulate what has been said.

Aye, people reading what they want to read, not what was written...  It happens, I have been guilty myself when on an unstoppable rant :) 

52 minutes ago, TRL said:

Aye, people reading what they want to read, not what was written...  It happens, I have been guilty myself when on an unstoppable rant :) 

But it’s very easy for someone like Tone to give the wrong impression by accident too - eg by complaining about PC attitudes in a thread where most of those are condemning football violence. It’s no surprise if someone then concludes he’s defending it, when he isn’t.

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

I apologise Tone, the piece of yours I quoted was in response to someone who said modern life is boring because things like football hooliganism don't exist any more. Your postings here have never led to me seeing you as that type and it wasn't my intention to paint you as such.

All the same, the reason I replied to you was to ask what has changed to make life less fun? What did you used to do that you can't do now because of the 'PC Brigade'?

2 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I apologise Tone, the piece of yours I quoted was in response to someone who said modern life is boring because things like football hooliganism don't exist any more. Your postings here have never led to me seeing you as that type and it wasn't my intention to paint you as such.

All the same, the reason I replied to you was to ask what has changed to make life less fun? What did you used to do that you can't do now because of the 'PC Brigade'?

football hooliganism does still exist .....all one way with you

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

Have fun is the answer

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

Accepted.  Life is less fun due the  perceived PC brigade who have taken up the cudgel on behalf of everyone else regardless of their wishes.  I for one don't need their assistance to enjoy my  life and am quite happy to exist under my own steam. I find their interest to be intrusive and inappropriate.

3 hours ago, Leveller said:

But it’s very easy for someone like Tone to give the wrong impression by accident too - eg by complaining about PC attitudes in a thread where most of those are condemning football violence. It’s no surprise if someone then concludes he’s defending it, when he isn’t.

Well, to clarify things I am not supporting football violence (or any violence) in any shape or form. I would like to think I have at least a small level of intelligence against such issues.

after a long, long wait my copy finally arrived the other day - an enthralling read that does a grand job of capturing football's darker side. Fair play to PL for putting pen to paper, the torturous delivery time proved worth the while. The anger and bitterness it has aroused on this thread mind is certainly over the top and makes me wonder quite what the problem is? I mean, really, what is the problem that someone has decided to write about his life and times following Bristol City? 

14 hours ago, BigTone said:

Accepted.  Life is less fun due the  perceived PC brigade who have taken up the cudgel on behalf of everyone else regardless of their wishes.  I for one don't need their assistance to enjoy my  life and am quite happy to exist under my own steam. I find their interest to be intrusive and inappropriate.

Now this is what I just don't get....apart from the occasional story in the Daily Mail and people complaining about it, what difference have the PC brigade actually made? I just don't see how they stop you enjoying life and existing under your own steam. The only real effect I can see it has had is made people more sensitive when it comes to blatant racism or homophobia etc., but I can't believe you are saying that life is less fun because you're not allowed to be racist any more!

It has certainly had no effect whatsoever on my life.

What I would have more of an issue with is Health & Safety - Sensible and useful in most cases, but very open to abuse and regularly used as an excuse to stop people having fun.

44 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

What I would have more of an issue with is Health & Safety - Sensible and useful in most cases, but very open to abuse and regularly used as an excuse to stop people having fun.

I agree with you on this mate although it should be noted that it is rarely if ever the H&S Executive that does this. It is almost always insurance companies and risk averse managers in organisations using H&S as a reason for not allowing something.

This of course has the added bonus (to them) of not having to fund things or do any work organising events if they just ban them.

57 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Now this is what I just don't get....apart from the occasional story in the Daily Mail and people complaining about it, what difference have the PC brigade actually made? I just don't see how they stop you enjoying life and existing under your own steam. The only real effect I can see it has had is made people more sensitive when it comes to blatant racism or homophobia etc., but I can't believe you are saying that life is less fun because you're not allowed to be racist any more!

It has certainly had no effect whatsoever on my life.

I'm neither racist nor homophobic so that doesn't really worry me. I just find that you have to be careful about everything you say and do these days or someone will jump on you for it and start lecturing all and sundry with their perceived moral high ground. The humour is slowly being removed from life. As a really daft example can I go and get "spotted dick" as my pudding in a restaurant ? No, not any more as it's not PC to call it that. WTF !

As for H&S don't even get me started. These days I go on site in a get up that would protect me from a nuclear holocaust.

As far as Ashton Gate is concerned, was there before the start - when Birmingham City took the Covered End in the late 60's, in the peak, when Millwall came in the 80's and, what felt like the end - stood with Cardiff City 'lads' in the 'fan zone' watching a band with a pint. 

If it wasn't for our lot, as that early visit by Birmingham proved, Ashton Gate would not have felt anywhere near the safe 'fortress' for home fans it has been during the last 50 odd years. 

Not in anyway condoning FV, but if we hadn't been as 'good' off the pitch as we were, a lot of your average fans would have had less enjoyable experience following City home and away. Very rarely have I felt threatened or intimidated by away fans at The Gate.

One only needs to loook at the likes of Torquay, who are a nice friendly Club,  to see how they have been 'bullied' on the terraces. Every visit of our neighbour's coincides with some form of incursion on to their home terrace. Aside from the early days, how many times have these neighbour's actually travelled to The Gate, let alone attempted to get into our home areas? 

I'm neither racist nor homophobic so that doesn't really worry me. I just find that you have to be careful about everything you say and do these days or someone will jump on you for it and start lecturing all and sundry with their perceived moral high ground. The humour is slowly being removed from life. As a really daft example can I go and get "spotted dick" as my pudding in a restaurant ? No, not any more as it's not PC to call it that. WTF !

As for H&S don't even get me started. These days I go on site in a get up that would protect me from a nuclear holocaust.

I would generally agree but would add that most of the ridiculous things that are deemed 'not acceptable' because of PC are largely urban myths created by people with some kind of cause e.g. there have never been moves to ban Christmas for fear of offending Muslims, it's just a story invented by people with an anti-Muslim agenda. Spotted Dick (to use your daft example) is still a perfectly legitimate pudding, it has even appeared on my daughters primary school lunches menu (and you don't get a lot more PC than primary schools!). It's harder to find these days because a steamed pudding with raisins in just isn't so popular in these days of sugar and cream fuelled fantasies!

Yes if you go to an old school English restaurant of course spotted dick is on the menu?  Google it and there are hundreds?  Get your ass out of the patisserie and get some proper food at Simpson’s in the Strand.

No Spotted Dick in menus because of the PC police is bollocks, no wonder you have to wear a full nuclear suit to go on site, it would appear you work at The Daily Mail.

46 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I would generally agree but would add that most of the ridiculous things that are deemed 'not acceptable' because of PC are largely urban myths created by people with some kind of cause e.g. there have never been moves to ban Christmas for fear of offending Muslims, it's just a story invented by people with an anti-Muslim agenda. Spotted Dick (to use your daft example) is still a perfectly legitimate pudding, it has even appeared on my daughters primary school lunches menu (and you don't get a lot more PC than primary schools!). It's harder to find these days because a steamed pudding with raisins in just isn't so popular in these days of sugar and cream fuelled fantasies!

Make me hungry why don't you !!

45 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Yes if you go to an old school English restaurant of course spotted dick is on the menu?  Google it and there are hundreds?  Get your ass out of the patisserie and get some proper food at Simpson’s in the Strand.

No Spotted Dick in menus because of the PC police is bollocks, no wonder you have to wear a full nuclear suit to go on site, it would appear you work at The Daily Mail.

Yes Mum

Just now, BigTone said:

actually no it's not in many places

It’s because very few want to eat it, nothing to do with the PC police!  My biggest concern is that no one in the uk seems to be able to manage to cook a decent sweetbread nowadays, they’re always deep fried in a coating for so long that they disappear and only used as an addition.  Sweetbreads should be the star of a dish not a poorly executed addition purely used to make the menu read better. 

Archived