IGNORED

It all kicked off in Bristol (Merged)

CyderInACan

5 hours ago, Cowshed said:

I can remember a school friend being stopped outside a pub, a man inspecting the badge he was wearing then head butting him because it stated "Crass". Wearing the wrong clothes saw people being pursued up streets by gangs on motorbikes. Bath, BATH of all places had skinhead gangs. Football, music, politics and youth culture was frequently violent

It all can be put in the context of time. Paul Lumbers book good or bad  is part of that social history. 

I remember, after a match against Sheffield Wednesday back in the 1970s, walking back to the Centre to catch our bus home and being horrified at seeing a gang of City fans chasing a lone SW fan, a typical 'scarfer' - a long knitted woollen one at that - who, presumably out of pure fear, jumped over the barriers and in to the tarffic at Temple Way.

That same gang, upon reaching the Centre and, presumably, frustrated at losing their earlier prey, then proceeded to beat up a young man (again alone) as he was wearing an Afghan coat.  

11 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

That same gang, upon reaching the Centre and, presumably, frustrated at losing their earlier prey, then proceeded to beat up a young man (again alone) as he was wearing an Afghan coat.  

If wearing an Afghan coat u deserve a hiding 

As much as I enjoyed the book. Some of the EE punch ups in 70's were pretty hard core.

My personal favorite away days were always Millwall and WHU. Millwall was just out and out 'come and have a go if you think your hard enough', West Ham was great as they liked to charge the fences between you to try and intimidate visiting supporters. 

Aldershot was similar and the pelting was always fun... :laugh:! Ive been hit with a shoe and whisky bottle there!~!

On 12/02/2018 at 22:26, ziderheadarmy said:

Did city fans seriously use Aberfan as a way to wind up Cardiff?

I was born after Aberfan happened but I have read up on it and using the deaths of a generation of children can’t surely be fair game?

Remember watching the disaster on the telly my Uncle who was home on leave from the army went over to help as my Mums side of the family are Welsh.

But to my shame i sang i was 11 at the time every one else was doing it.

25 minutes ago, shelts said:

If wearing an Afghan coat u deserve a hiding 

Not really funny.

I recall the young lad - late teens/early 20s - was just walking along minding his own business when he was set upon and beaten up quite badly - just because he was wearing an Afghan coat!

Hence the reason I responded to the post from @Cowshed.

12 hours ago, Cowshed said:

I can remember a school friend being stopped outside a pub, a man inspecting the badge he was wearing then head butting him because it stated "Crass". Wearing the wrong clothes saw people being pursued up streets by gangs on motorbikes. Bath, BATH of all places had skinhead gangs. Football, music, politics and youth culture was frequently violent

It all can be put in the context of time. Paul Lumbers book good or bad  is part of that social history. 

All the estates in Bristol had gangs in the 70's and early 80's. Knowle West and Southmead were probably the most notorious......Hartcliffe and Bedminster pretty close behind.

You could literally get your head kicked in for being on the wrong street.......or wearing the wrong type of jacket.

On 13/02/2018 at 18:38, Moor2Sea said:

Yep. From recollection our lot chanted ‘Aberfan’, they then responded.... 

Is it just me that can remember there were lots of other words to the chant - it wasn’t just ‘Aberfan’ ?!

A few on this thread are saying stuff along the lines of ‘I didn’t realise what the chant was about’ - but the chant I’m thinking of made it very obvious....

28 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Is it just me that can remember there were lots of other words to the chant - it wasn’t just ‘Aberfan’ ?!

A few on this thread are saying stuff along the lines of ‘I didn’t realise what the chant was about’ - but the chant I’m thinking of made it very obvious....

I can only remember the name itself being chanted.

Someone put it better than me earlier - context.

At the time, it seemed nothing was out of bounds.

Broadmead on a weekend was always skins v mods v scooter boys v punks - every bloody weekend.

A different coloured flight jacket mean different political leanings. That lead quickly to a mass fight.

Different suburbs always were scrapping with each other, different schools even.

The 70's were just plain violent. Early 80's too.

Nothing was out of bounds. Nothing.

The darts really were thrown at you, as were the bricks, bottles, piss and rocks.

People really did go out with Stanley knives.

Football was just friggin brutal somedays.

There was a thread somewhere about City fans not helping an old bloke - back then you were just glad to see other faces you knew.

It didn't always work out well - I remember the bogs between the Magic roundabout and Swindons ground - 3 very young City were chased in by about 3 of theirs - me and a mate helped out. Sadly there were another 4 or 5 Swindon who proceeded to kick us both silly, but other City turned up and the 3 kids escaped unharmed.

Its what you did.

Britain at the time was a mess. The scooter rallies were riots all the time (remember them), parts of the UK were in flames. Policemen were being decapitated during riots.

Newport, Aldershot, Swindon, West ham all resembled Middle East war zones for an hour or two - and Millwall at the gate - jesus, you just had to be there to believe it.

From Train,coach or car to the pub or ground was often indescribable.

People not of a certain age cannot imagine the amount of people involved at times.

The same as when Spurs, Everton, (probably the 2 hardest to shift out the EE - if they ever got shifted at all)  and Leeds (who failed miserably) came to AG.

So was the Aberfan song sung - yes

Looking back - I feel utterly ashamed to have sung it, but at the time, nobody who went to football regularly, gave a shit about Cardiff or Newport fans feelings.

It was simply a different time, and those who did not live through it cannot, and will not ever understand.

I can guarantee you though that now, every single person who ever sang that vile song is sick to their stomach.

2018 is not, and will never be 1978

Great post SX227, I recognise some of the things you describe from the time I started watching City as a kid in the mid 80s.

I often think that if my son, or other children his age, had the same first experience of football matches today that I and everyone else had around that time they'd never return to the Gate. Not because kids today are particularly sensitive, but because society and football has changed so much in the last 30 years that the things that often happened back then would cause outrage today. 

Racist chanting towards Midlands based clubs, the 'N word' casually shouted at players, coins thrown at opposition goalkeepers, running the gauntlet outside football grounds every week, high fences separating fans....it's a different World today. Not saying these things don't still happen from time to time but it's nowhere near the same level.

Never heard the Aberfan chant, obviously I know what it refers to. According to Cardiff City fans there were other clubs who used to sing it. Like many things in Football from the 70s/80s/90s it just wouldn't happen today. 

9 hours ago, SX227 said:

Broadmead on a weekend was always skins v mods v scooter boys v punks - every bloody weekend.

A different coloured flight jacket mean different political leanings. That lead quickly to a mass fight.

Different suburbs always were scrapping with each other, different schools even.

The darts really were thrown at you, as were the bricks, bottles, piss and rocks.

There was a thread somewhere about City fans not helping an old bloke - back then you were just glad to see other faces you knew.

It didn't always work out well - I remember the bogs between the Magic roundabout and Swindons ground - 3 very young City were chased in by about 3 of theirs - me and a mate helped out. Sadly there were another 4 or 5 Swindon who proceeded to kick us both silly, but other City turned up and the 3 kids escaped unharmed.

Its what you did.

Britain at the time was a mess. The scooter rallies were riots all the time (remember them), parts of the UK were in flames. Policemen were being decapitated during riots.

Newport, Aldershot, Swindon, West ham all resembled Middle East war zones for an hour or two - and Millwall at the gate - jesus, you just had to be there to believe it.

People not of a certain age cannot imagine the amount of people involved at times.

The same as when Spurs, Everton, (probably the 2 hardest to shift out the EE - if they ever got shifted at all)  and Leeds (who failed miserably) came to AG.

Looking back - I feel utterly ashamed to have sung it, but at the time, nobody who went to football regularly, gave a shit about Cardiff or Newport fans feelings.

It was simply a different time, and those who did not live through it cannot, and will not ever understand.

I can guarantee you though that now, every single person who ever sang that vile song is sick to their stomach.

Pretty much sums it up

17 hours ago, SX227 said:

Its what you did.

That was how it was. I still loved it. I can remember my old man grabbing my collar and my legs were still moving as I started to run toward West Ham on the EE. :laugh:. Different days.

Riots at football and all over the UK Birmingham Bristol London with bits burning and body parts on the tv after another IRA Bomb. 

Anyone under 40 would have little clue! What ever you think about the book it’s living history of more violent days

On 14/02/2018 at 16:01, PHILINFRANCE said:

Not really funny.

I recall the young lad - late teens/early 20s - was just walking along minding his own business when he was set upon and beaten up quite badly - just because he was wearing an Afghan coat!

Hence the reason I responded to the post from @Cowshed.

Was trying a little bit of humour as it was quite a while ago. 

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

That was how it was. I still loved it. I can remember my old man grabbing my collar and my legs were still moving as I started to run toward West Ham on the EE. :laugh:. Different days.

Riots at football and all over the UK Birmingham Bristol London with bits burning and body parts on the tv after another IRA Bomb. 

Anyone under 40 would have little clue! What ever you think about the book it’s living history of more violent days

The people who slag the book off on here will be the ones that were probably not even about in the 70s and 80s.

It is actually a very good read IMO. SX227 is spot on!

32 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

The people who slag the book off on here will be the ones that were probably not even about in the 70s and 80s.

It is actually a very good read IMO. SX227 is spot on!

Yeah I finished it last week.

I was shocked by the righteousness of some on here. I lived down the road from an IRA bombing and remember the carnage and the news coverage of that and similar ones every day.

I was at many/most games from an early age going back to when the Dolman was being built. Post war social issues were huge. My own family still lived in a pre fab and Saturday night could be pretty intense with fighting in working men’s clubs. That’s just me !!

1 hour ago, GasDestroyer said:

The fact that so many have never heard of Aberfan or the Swiss Air Disaster is testament to that.  The 70's were a great time to grow up as long as you were careful. The music was original for one thing instead of manufactured crap.  I mentioned in a previous post that I had long hair and wore a great coat which was seen as manna from heaven for the marauding Skins of Bristol to hunt down and kick 12 levels of shite out of. Did they care I supported the same football team as them ........ nah.  Did they like the same "heavy" music as me ........ nah.  Would I want to grow up in another era ......... nah.

I sometimes think that growing up in that era has helped toughen me up in later life. At aged 16 I left school and moved to Australia (on my own). I worked 6 days a week whilst studying on a day a week day release and night school.  I look at my own kids and frankly they haven't got a clue !!

55 minutes ago, BigTone said:

The fact that so many have never heard of Aberfan or the Swiss Air Disaster is testament to that.  The 70's were a great time to grow up as long as you were careful. The music was original for one thing instead of manufactured crap.  I mentioned in a previous post that I had long hair and wore a great coat which was seen as manna from heaven for the marauding Skins of Bristol to hunt down and kick 12 levels of shite out of. Did they care I supported the same football team as them ........ nah.  Did they like the same "heavy" music as me ........ nah.  Would I want to grow up in another era ......... nah.

I sometimes think that growing up in that era has helped toughen me up in later life. At aged 16 I left school and moved to Australia (on my own). I worked 6 days a week whilst studying on a day a week day release and night school.  I look at my own kids and frankly they haven't got a clue !!

True Tone, I remember a Skinhead/Heavy crossover when Motörhead or Cockney Rejects played due mainly to the (at the time) big Speed scene...

It was strange that we had to ascribe to a certain youth sub-culture to gain acceptance, I  spose it's just how it was...

One of the problems with forums like this is you get posters who were’nt even about in the 70s and 80s, let alone going to football matches. Ashton Gate like many grounds was a truly dangerous place at home games. Bristol City had a fearsome reputation for away fans after riots (Swindon and Reading) and large scale trouble with others such as Millwall. 

Yes, I was involved at certain games as others I know on here were. But unless you lived it, you will not understand the culture that existed. Unemployment was sky high, the country was going through a massive depression (Thatcher era), we were at war with the Argies and the IRA, and for many of us football was an escape from the difficult times many of us had to endure.

So before you all rubbish a book which was written by a guy who was in a the thick of it (I can state that for a fact), just try to think about what a massive recession would be like nowadays followed by the country being at war. Death and destruction during the “troubles” was a daily news event. It was all pretty depressing for the country. People wanted to rebel against the establishment, and the way the country was being governed.

After saying all that, the music as mentioned by others was a huge escape alongside football. The two was a perfect release for me on the weekend.

7 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

True Tone, I remember a Skinhead/Heavy crossover when Motörhead or Cockney Rejects played due mainly to the (at the time) big Speed scene...

It was strange that we had to ascribe to a certain youth sub-culture to gain acceptance, I  spose it's just how it was...

Exactly, but would you change it ? .......... nah

19 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

When I moved to Oz I lived in Adelaide. The exact same situation existed between the Skins, Bikies, Surfies and the Rockers (as they were known). Add to the mix the ethnic groups of Italians, Greeks and Lebanese (who all hated each other) and boy what a tinderbox it was. Add again the gangs of Aborigines and it just kicked of everywhere. You think of Adelaide as being the City of Churches but there is a very dangerous underbelly that still exists today.

1 hour ago, GasDestroyer said:

Yes, I was involved at certain games as others I know on here were. But unless you lived it, you will not understand the culture that existed. Unemployment was sky high, the country was going through a massive depression (Thatcher era), we were at war with the Argies and the IRA, and for many of us football was an escape from the difficult times many of us had to endure.

The Falklands War lasted 10 weeks. It hardly defined a generation. 

Archived