IGNORED

It all kicked off in Bristol (Merged)

CyderInACan

38 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

The Falklands War lasted 10 weeks. It hardly defined a generation. 

But in the shrunken mind of a nationalistic xenophobe it represents some glorious extension of our nation's power and ability to dominate "Jonny Foreigner ", which substitutes some sense of power, influence and success into a life that is bereft of success, influence and happiness! Alas, these people cannot effectively self assess the reason for their plight and so have to blame someone else for their perceived misfortune, which is always self inflicted through lack of effort and low self confidence rather than some form of conspiracy to hold them back.......That's why bread and circuses are so important! 

1 hour ago, adamski said:

But in the shrunken mind of a nationalistic xenophobe it represents some glorious extension of our nation's power and ability to dominate "Jonny Foreigner ", which substitutes some sense of power, influence and success into a life that is bereft of success, influence and happiness! Alas, these people cannot effectively self assess the reason for their plight and so have to blame someone else for their perceived misfortune, which is always self inflicted through lack of effort and low self confidence rather than some form of conspiracy to hold them back.......That's why bread and circuses are so important! 

Why, because their wasn't a Third World War,? Or we lost the Raj?

Difficult one that....

:clapping:

As has been said before, growing up in the 70's and 80's was a completely different kettle of fish than it is nowadays. Glue-sniffing by the punks, casual violence by the skins and racism by the hatfull. Now you get taken to school in a 4x4 and you count your number of mates on Facebook. I know which one I prefer.

A lot rougher life back then for most but what a musical soundtrack we had to live by. 

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

You have dissected a whole post and, picked up on one part of an attempt to paint a picture of life in those times. Rather petty I believe, in an attempt (failed) to belittle someone. 

1 hour ago, adamski said:

On the other hand, it's nice to have someone of superior intelligence pass judgement on other human beings, without being in the slightest bit prejudiced in their assesment.

On 14/02/2018 at 22:49, SX227 said:

Someone put it better than me earlier - context.

At the time, it seemed nothing was out of bounds.

Broadmead on a weekend was always skins v mods v scooter boys v punks - every bloody weekend.

A different coloured flight jacket mean different political leanings. That lead quickly to a mass fight.

Different suburbs always were scrapping with each other, different schools even.

The 70's were just plain violent. Early 80's too.

Nothing was out of bounds. Nothing.

The darts really were thrown at you, as were the bricks, bottles, piss and rocks.

People really did go out with Stanley knives.

Football was just friggin brutal somedays.

There was a thread somewhere about City fans not helping an old bloke - back then you were just glad to see other faces you knew.

It didn't always work out well - I remember the bogs between the Magic roundabout and Swindons ground - 3 very young City were chased in by about 3 of theirs - me and a mate helped out. Sadly there were another 4 or 5 Swindon who proceeded to kick us both silly, but other City turned up and the 3 kids escaped unharmed.

Its what you did.

Britain at the time was a mess. The scooter rallies were riots all the time (remember them), parts of the UK were in flames. Policemen were being decapitated during riots.

Newport, Aldershot, Swindon, West ham all resembled Middle East war zones for an hour or two - and Millwall at the gate - jesus, you just had to be there to believe it.

From Train,coach or car to the pub or ground was often indescribable.

People not of a certain age cannot imagine the amount of people involved at times.

The same as when Spurs, Everton, (probably the 2 hardest to shift out the EE - if they ever got shifted at all)  and Leeds (who failed miserably) came to AG.

So was the Aberfan song sung - yes

Looking back - I feel utterly ashamed to have sung it, but at the time, nobody who went to football regularly, gave a shit about Cardiff or Newport fans feelings.

It was simply a different time, and those who did not live through it cannot, and will not ever understand.

I can guarantee you though that now, every single person who ever sang that vile song is sick to their stomach.

2018 is not, and will never be 1978

You put it well its how i remember it

3 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Falklands War lasted 10 weeks. It hardly defined a generation. 

And that was not the chaps point.

In 1980 there were riots in Bristol

81 there were riots all over the Country.

82 Falklands

83 three million unemployed.

84 miners strike.

And so much more.

If your not getting it I will have to call your post Richard (attack the post not the poster).

9 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

You obviously have no idea of what life was like during the 70s and 80s (or maybe you were one of those priveledged yuppies - remember them?)- as stated by others to your post, suggest you reply to/read the whole post, not just 1 sentence!

46 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

You obviously have no idea of what life was like during the 70s and 80s (or maybe you were one of those priveledged yuppies - remember them?)- as stated by others to your post, suggest you reply to/read the whole post, not just 1 sentence!

To be fair Britain was pretty dire from 73 to the mid 80’s. Lots of Brown to compliment the grey backdrop. However, the Falklands conflict did not have a huge impact upon us, Northern Ireland was far more representative of what was going on, just a bit more fear in a state of fear! let’s not forget the Cold War, bomb sites still to be rebuilt since 1945 in some areas, teachers that hit pupils with a range of objects close to hand, American AOR( toto et al), 3 TV channels, Roger Malone, Twin Tub washing machines, no central heating, the school bully, christening your DM’s, patch pockets that meant all your change rolled out when you sat down, 12 button waist bands, massive baggies, Bath dyed blue from shrinking your Levi’s, Cheap Wills fags/baccy in Beddy and a kick in the balls for wearing the wrong trainers.....Why did we all not end it all or emigrate ?

15 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

The people who slag the book off on here will be the ones that were probably not even about in the 70s and 80s.

It is actually a very good read IMO. SX227 is spot on!

I am one of those that wasn't around in this era who didn't enjoy the book. I get it was different times but I just dont get attacking families and shirters who didn't want to fight or slicing someone up with a Stanley knife especially when all the way through the book he kept banging on about meeting up against like minded people. 

I have always had an interest in the old stories of the trouble but because my oldman always told me there was an unwritten rule that you only go after like minded people which this book can't make up it's mind which way it wants to go

11 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Do not be so glib. For those of us on Council estates the services were one of the few viable opportunities people had for employment. Northern Ireland or the Falklands Sir?

It also kept Her in power. The most polarising figure in my lifetime. Hero to some evil to others. Social turmoil, politics and violence defined my generation.

Cool music mind ..,

39 minutes ago, Littlesh*t said:

I am one of those that wasn't around in this era who didn't enjoy the book. I get it was different times but I just dont get attacking families and shirters who didn't want to fight or slicing someone up with a Stanley knife especially when all the way through the book he kept banging on about meeting up against like minded people. 

I have always had an interest in the old stories of the trouble but because my oldman always told me there was an unwritten rule that you only go after like minded people which this book can't make up it's mind which way it wants to go

Anyone who went away in those days will know that the "we only go for like minded 'lads' not scarfers" noble ideal was bollocks. Complete and utter bollocks. 

9 hours ago, Sixtyseconds said:

And that was not the chaps point.

In 1980 there were riots in Bristol

81 there were riots all over the Country.

82 Falklands

83 three million unemployed.

84 miners strike.

And so much more.

If your not getting it I will have to call your post Richard (attack the post not the poster).

Remember when Wills closed Knowle West Hartcliff see to have went down hill fast

City have always had a bit of a reputation for fighting amongst themselves.

In the 70's / early 80's if there were no away fans to have a pop at you would quite often witness skirmishes between "westers" and "meaders", and if you came from outside of Bristol you were seen as from a different mob altogether.

I can remember during the firemans strike, when the troops were brought in, it all kicked off in the East End with chants of "Fire Brigade" and "Paratroopers!

Would anyone welcome a film of this book?  The thread makes for very interesting reading and I'm sure there is enough in the book to become a fascinating film if done the right way with a decent cast.

I know football violence films are a bit hit and miss - Green Street was terrible in places but Football Factory was a decent effort.  Perhaps a film called 'It All Kicked Off' would be worth it.

2 hours ago, adamski said:

To be fair Britain was pretty dire from 73 to the mid 80’s. Lots of Brown to compliment the grey backdrop. However, the Falklands conflict did not have a huge impact upon us, Northern Ireland was far more representative of what was going on, just a bit more fear in a state of fear! let’s not forget the Cold War, bomb sites still to be rebuilt since 1945 in some areas, teachers that hit pupils with a range of objects close to hand, American AOR( toto et al), 3 TV channels, Roger Malone, Twin Tub washing machines, no central heating, the school bully, christening your DM’s, patch pockets that meant all your change rolled out when you sat down, 12 button waist bands, massive baggies, Bath dyed blue from shrinking your Levi’s, Cheap Wills fags/baccy in Beddy and a kick in the balls for wearing the wrong trainers.....Why did we all not end it all or emigrate ?

That brings back a wonderful memory.

At school in the 1970s, we had a teacher who, when angry, would often throw one of those felt and wooden backed blackboard rubbers at the nearest unruly pupil: we knew what was coming and used to duck, but I imagine he would be dismissed and charged with assault were he to try that today.

10 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

At school in the 1970s, we had a teacher who, when angry, would often throw one of those felt and wooden backed blackboard rubbers at the nearest unruly pupil: we knew what was coming and used to duck, but I imagine he would be dismissed and charged with assault were he to try that today.

Did you go to Backwell Comp?? Remember a teacher there used to do it!

37 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Anyone who went away in those days will know that the "we only go for like minded 'lads' not scarfers" noble ideal was bollocks. Complete and utter bollocks. 

It seemed like everyone was ‘like minded’ back then, it was seriously dodgy at every away game.

No mobiles back then, we would drive to away games from Bridgwater not knowing where any City were, you parked the car and took your chance. We ended up in many very dodgy situations before and after games, four or five of us just trying to find our car!. You were fair game to everyone, whether you were in Manchester or Oxford. 

You did literally take your life into your hands everywhere you went.

It was exactly the same for every away fan at Ashton Gate.

As others have said, if you didn’t live during these times you will never understand just how violent it was.

10 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Didn't go to Sea Mills Junior School did you?!!

I'll never forget a teacher we had, Mr Gardner, me and a classmate were chatting/messing about in his class whilst his back was turned at the blackboard. He heard us, span round, and launched the rubber in our general direction. Luckily I had seen him turn and took evasive action. Caught my mate straight on the bonce though, wooden side first...ouch!!!

19 minutes ago, Chessels Chick said:

Did you go to Backwell Comp?? Remember a teacher there used to do it!

14 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Didn't go to Sea Mills Junior School did you?!!

I didn't go to either, but it would seem the throwing of blackboard rubbers was obviously far more prevalent than I had imagined. 

I also recall one of our Latin masters would force disruptive pupils to come to the front of the class and sit crosslegged on the floor!

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I know we went to the same school so may well be the same teacher.

When I was about 12/13 I was messing about in the far corner of the woodwork room one day and the teacher hurled one of those wooden blackboard rubbers right across the room, hitting me unawares on the head.

It was such a blow I had to be taken to the medical room to be seen to and recover.

My parents actually did complain when I told them about it - very unusual behaviour from them - but nothing came of it.

17 hours ago, BigTone said:

The fact that so many have never heard of Aberfan or the Swiss Air Disaster is testament to that.  The 70's were a great time to grow up as long as you were careful. The music was original for one thing instead of manufactured crap.  I mentioned in a previous post that I had long hair and wore a great coat which was seen as manna from heaven for the marauding Skins of Bristol to hunt down and kick 12 levels of shite out of. Did they care I supported the same football team as them ........ nah.  Did they like the same "heavy" music as me ........ nah.  Would I want to grow up in another era ......... nah.

I sometimes think that growing up in that era has helped toughen me up in later life. At aged 16 I left school and moved to Australia (on my own). I worked 6 days a week whilst studying on a day a week day release and night school.  I look at my own kids and frankly they haven't got a clue !!

Spot on mate....as you said, the 70s and early 80s were raw, yet real and beautifully stark....I regularly got into awkward situations well away from football just because I proudly sported a fishtail parka with ‘All Mod Cons’ painted on the back...I also have a little cringe at some of the photos of me and my mates back then, stripey boating blazers, John Lennon-esque round sunglasses, two-tone tonic trousers, white socks and bowling shoes!

But we didn’t care back then...we loved the music, it was sooooo much better than today’s utter tripe...bands back then got record deals after practicising hard in their mate’s garage and playing in grotty venues up and down the country...that’s why we loved them. They didn’t win some glorified staged karaoke shite on tv in front of a panel of nobodies...they grafted and we loved their anarchic look at 70s Britain through their embittered lyrics, grating guitar riffs, pumping bass lines and manic drum sequences. Was it polished and slick? Hell no, but it was REAL and it bloody well reflected everyday life at the time....which was also far from polished and slick.

I grew up with Paul Weller, Joe Strummer, John Lydon, Sid Vicious, Hugh Cornwell, Pete Shelley, Feargal Sharkey, Captain Sensible etc....they influenced me and my life so much...but it was such a different world back then. As you said, kids today haven’t got a clue, just look at the panic on their faces if they lose wi-fi for an hour!

It was bleak and gritty, but I loved the era in which I grew up...

2 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

It seemed like everyone was ‘like minded’ back then, it was seriously dodgy at every away game.

No mobiles back then, we would drive to away games from Bridgwater not knowing where any City were, you parked the car and took your chance. We ended up in many very dodgy situations before and after games, four or five of us just trying to find our car!. You were fair game to everyone, whether you were in Manchester or Oxford. 

You did literally take your life into your hands everywhere you went.

It was exactly the same for every away fan at Ashton Gate.

As others have said, if you didn’t live during these times you will never understand just how violent it was.

I know, Bill. I was trying to find my car/van/nearest train station at the same time. We must've rubbed shoulders in the 1980s many times. 

6 hours ago, adamski said:

You should write a book mate.....

Archived