IGNORED

It all kicked off in Bristol (Merged)

CyderInACan

15 hours ago, Rich said:

You have dissected a whole post and, picked up on one part of an attempt to paint a picture of life in those times. Rather petty I believe, in an attempt (failed) to belittle someone. 

14 hours ago, Sixtyseconds said:

And that was not the chaps point.

In 1980 there were riots in Bristol

81 there were riots all over the Country.

82 Falklands

83 three million unemployed.

84 miners strike.

And so much more.

If your not getting it I will have to call your post Richard (attack the post not the poster).

7 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

You obviously have no idea of what life was like during the 70s and 80s (or maybe you were one of those priveledged yuppies - remember them?)- as stated by others to your post, suggest you reply to/read the whole post, not just 1 sentence!

5 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Do not be so glib. For those of us on Council estates the services were one of the few viable opportunities people had for employment. Northern Ireland or the Falklands Sir?

It also kept Her in power. The most polarising figure in my lifetime. Hero to some evil to others. Social turmoil, politics and violence defined my generation.

Cool music mind ..,

Thanks for your replies. 

Which of these things made you want to go to football and kick f u ck out of people? And enjoy it.

Poverty has been a constant feature of life in this country since time immemorial. It still is. To read some of the comments on here you'd honestly think that everyone who went to football in the 70s 80s and 90s was only there for the violence. But we all know that wasn't the case. Being poor, unemployed or at a different end of the political spectrum to the government of the day doesn't make you a hooligan. Being a nasty piece of work does, though. 

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I know we went to the same school so may well be the same teacher.

When I was about 12/13 I was messing about in the far corner of the woodwork room one day and the teacher hurled one of those wooden blackboard rubbers right across the room, hitting me unawares on the head.

It was such a blow I had to be taken to the medical room to be seen to and recover.

My parents actually did complain when I told them about it - very unusual behaviour from them - but nothing came of it.

Sounds like Merrywood Boys to me.

30 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Thanks for your replies. 

Which of these things made you want to go to football and kick f u ck out of people? And enjoy it.

Poverty has been a constant feature of life in this country since time immemorial. It still is. To read some of the comments on here you'd honestly think that everyone who went to football in the 70s 80s and 90s was only there for the violence. But we all know that wasn't the case. Being poor, unemployed or at a different end of the political spectrum to the government of the day doesn't make you a hooligan. Being a nasty piece of work does, though. 

I did not use poverty as a point you have. I made parallels. Society across various levels had more of a propensity to be violent. Football, music, politics, culture, the behavior of the Police reflected that. Social norms being different do affect people behavior. You are affected by your environment and the people in it. It was a simple psychological argument.

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I know we went to the same school so may well be the same teacher.

When I was about 12/13 I was messing about in the far corner of the woodwork room one day and the teacher hurled one of those wooden blackboard rubbers right across the room, hitting me unawares on the head.

The 'blackboard rubber' teacher taught history, and was actually a very nice man; from Birmingham and a staunch Villa fan. We just used to wind him up incessantly. I remember once, a fellow pupil pronounced mistakenly Croats as 'Crotes', and he went berserk: needless to say, the incorrect pronounciation was used frequently thereafter.  

The Latin master, long since deceased I imagine, was also thoroughly decent, albeit a strict disciplinarian - he would often announce his arrival in the classroom by slamming down the top of a desk, just to make a loud noise and ensure silence.

45 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

I did not use poverty as a point you have. I made parallels. Society across various levels had more of a propensity to be violent. Football, music, politics, culture, the behavior of the Police reflected that. Social norms being different do affect people behavior. You are affected by your environment and the people in it. It was a simple psychological argument.

As many have said, "those who never experienced it, will never understand it".  Not saying it was right but it was what it was.

5 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

It seemed like everyone was ‘like minded’ back then, it was seriously dodgy at every away game.

No mobiles back then, we would drive to away games from Bridgwater not knowing where any City were, you parked the car and took your chance. We ended up in many very dodgy situations before and after games, four or five of us just trying to find our car!. You were fair game to everyone, whether you were in Manchester or Oxford. 

You did literally take your life into your hands everywhere you went.

It was exactly the same for every away fan at Ashton Gate.

As others have said, if you didn’t live during these times you will never understand just how violent it was.

Some of those grim Northern towns were some dodgy places, Ayrsome Park, The Baseball Ground and even poxy Stockport still bring me out in a cold sweat

17 minutes ago, BigTone said:

As many have said, "those who never experienced it, will never understand it".  Not saying it was right but it was what it was.

Indeed it was what it was, but it was nowhere near as endemic as some of the people involved would have you believe.

I lived through it, love the music etc but violence was never a part of it for me. I know some people did, but the vast majority did not.

Football was the same, there was more football related violence than there is now certainly, but the majority were there for the football, not to 'defend the east End' or whatever it was.

And I think the blackboard rubber teacher thing was widespread, I know I encountered at least two of those going through school in Weston.

Remember going to Stockport away immediately after the Reading riot and it felt like the whole of Manchester “turned out” with a welcoming committee as Bristol City were high profile in the press the week before. 

We used to stop off at Ashby de la Zouch on the way home - they used to dread Bristol City playing up North! Became a regular “pull in” on the way home with the lot I went with.

47 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Indeed it was what it was, but it was nowhere near as endemic as some of the people involved would have you believe.

I lived through it, love the music etc but violence was never a part of it for me. I know some people did, but the vast majority did not.

Football was the same, there was more football related violence than there is now certainly, but the majority were there for the football, not to 'defend the east End' or whatever it was.

And I think the blackboard rubber teacher thing was widespread, I know I encountered at least two of those going through school in Weston.

Agree with that but as I said in an earlier post you were always careful as otherwise it was easy to walk into a bad situation. Like you the violence did nothing for me and luckily nearly all of my mates were the same. Most of us were into music, birds & booze rather than a tear up in the city centre. Again though, it was what it was and I wouldn't change it for anything. 

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Thanks for your replies. 

Who said I wanted to, or even did go to football to kick F U ck out of people. Is this another attempt (failed) to belittle someone?    You've taken my questioning of your tactics and assumed (wrongly) that I was advocating violence at football. Methinks an apology is in order.

1 hour ago, citytop22 said:

Should start a whole new thread about Ashby De La Zouch on a Saturday night on the way back from City games, manic at best and of course many friendly meetings with the Leicester boys

Could never understand the attraction of Ashby-De-La- Zouch but I must of spent about 30 Saturday nights there!!!

3 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Thanks for your replies. 

Speaking for myself it. Was such a buzz first saw violence in 1969 at gas just looked great all the skins I was very impressed 

1 hour ago, GasDestroyer said:

Remember going to Stockport away immediately after the Reading riot and it felt like the whole of Manchester “turned out” with a welcoming committee as Bristol City were high profile in the press the week before. 

We used to stop off at Ashby de la Zouch on the way home - they used to dread Bristol City playing up North! Became a regular “pull in” on the way home with the lot I went with.

Remember that, fairly certain Man City had a few about that day

6 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I grew up with Paul Weller, Joe Strummer, John Lydon, Sid Vicious, Hugh Cornwell, Pete Shelley, Feargal Sharkey, Captain Sensible etc...

Blimey. Yes, yes, yes. Fortunate to see all of those play live except for Sid. Matlock played Bass when I saw The Pistols.

You’re each other’s heroes, but no-one else’s. Bunch of whoppers. If you’d had a set back in the ‘good old days’ you’d have been yomping up Tumbledown with real men instead of chasing scared schoolboys around Bedminster :facepalm:

45 minutes ago, Red Grovesy said:

Blimey. Yes, yes, yes. Fortunate to see all of those play live except for Sid. Matlock played Bass when I saw The Pistols.

Always liked the Undertones - what a band they were live! Paul Weller was good also!

We were so lucky to have lived through and enjoyed all the great music at the time. Still sounds good today.

Saw The Selector at the Colston Hall 2 years ago and they are still really good live! Great music.

5 minutes ago, Oops said:

You’re each other’s heroes, but no-one else’s. Bunch of whoppers. If you’d had a set back in the ‘good old days’ you’d have been yomping up Tumbledown with real men instead of chasing scared schoolboys around Bedminster :facepalm:

It sounds good when you say it, but it's not entirely true. many 'real men' from the forces have also got involved in the darker side of football.  

14 minutes ago, Oops said:

Plenty of squaddies did both to be fair Oops.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Who said I wanted to, or even did go to football to kick F U ck out of people. Is this another attempt (failed) to belittle someone?    You've taken my questioning of your tactics and assumed (wrongly) that I was advocating violence at football. Methinks an apology is in order.

If you're not trying to justify hooliganism then that's fine, not a problem to offer an apology. I lose track on here of who's "retired" or whatever. 

I'm not trying to belittle anyone as it goes. I just don't see any justification for it, no matter what decade it was, what music you liked, what clothes you wore etc etc 

45 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

If you're not trying to justify hooliganism then that's fine, not a problem to offer an apology. I lose track on here of who's "retired" or whatever. 

I'm not trying to belittle anyone as it goes. I just don't see any justification for it, no matter what decade it was, what music you liked, what clothes you wore etc etc 

Whether you can find justification in what went on is immaterial to the facts of the era. I think 95% of people posting on here from that era also think that being a football hoolie was a complete waste of time and effort and that violence was just a futile pursuit.  What is also being lost in this thread is that the violence of the era was down entirely to football because it wasn't. The music you liked would single you out. The clothes you wore would single you out.  Your haircut would single you out. . Mods & Rockers didn't riot in Brighton over football. That's how it was and nothing will change how things were despite what your opinion is on an era before your time. I might add you are entitled to your opinion but for it to be balanced you need to have experienced the period of time in question. As previously mentioned I decided to leave the Uk aged 16 because the chance of getting a decent career was close to zero. If lucky I would have started work for ICI in Avonmouth ............... no ta. There were no such things like recruitment agencies. CV's were a Citroen car. The country was in a depression and strikes were common place. Have you experienced power cuts lasting from 8 - 12 hours on a daily basis ?  Who remembers the Green Goddesses on the streets during the Firemans strike. Whether you can justify the social problems of the time really does not come into it. I've said it before and I'll say it again ................. it was what it was.  I'm not condoning it because believe me I am not in the same way I do not condone violence of any form today (football or otherwise).

Ref Ashby.

Remember us having a big row with what I think were some Notts Forest lot one night. Can’t remember the detail precisely because I was quite literally out of it! 

Had been to some game somewhere that day on an MB or O private coach (those ITK will know who I am on about, some of “Bristols Finest” from KW, Barton Hill, Taunton and other parts of south Bristol). There was about 40-50 of us stopped off and bingo, off walk a load of Forest also (think it was Forest). The place went right up! I think some of the Leicester lot arranged it? 

Can’t remember the name of the pub but there was not a lot left after that one! The same pub was done over again by City fans a year or two later if I remember right?

What I liked about the football away days then, was also the close camaraderie we had because as stated, it was a dangerous hobby - away days. But great memories.

18 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Ashby en-route to the Notts Forest semi final. Superb. Great old pubs and ideal parking.

If a town was ever designed as a stopping-off place for football fans Ashby would be it. 

Like Long Ashton for the long trip home from AG to Nailsea

Archived