IGNORED

It all kicked off in Bristol (Merged)

CyderInACan

5 hours ago, Loon plage said:

I would personally say no relevance whatsoever.

Thatcher came into power in 79 and violence had been in full flow at football for about 10 years by then.

I can recall hardly any political context associated with having a row apart from a few gasheads being members of the BNP.

Yeah good point..did wonder as I was listening to it why it mentioned Thatcher given it (trouble had football) had gone on since late 60's, early 70's. Was still an interesting podcast though.

Ironically, think a lot involved in that world (not talking any club in particular, just football troublemakers as such) would have fairly been pro Thatcherite anyway- but it did make point that football certainly in industrial/post industrial areas mirrored life in some respects.

This book itself? Never involved in that world but it sounds interesting, might get it.

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah good point..did wonder as I was listening to it why it mentioned Thatcher given it (trouble had football) had gone on since late 60's, early 70's. Was still an interesting podcast though.

Ironically, think a lot involved in that world (not talking any club in particular, just football troublemakers as such) would have fairly been pro Thatcherite anyway- but it did make point that football certainly in industrial/post industrial areas mirrored life in some respects.

This book itself? Never involved in that world but it sounds interesting, might get it.

Good point about the majority of "lads" being pro Thatcher, certainly around 1982.

The book isn't as well written as some although it is more honest than many, but Paul is a top chap and worked really hard to get the thing published. He has done some new work which is actually better but not sure whether he's looking to get that published.

Loon some of the chaps in PL's book were VERY left wing and took their windmilling and skirmishing tactics onto demos and anti Thatch activity.

Theres a great story out there about Pompey 657 being hired by a hunt as security.

Bristol sabs turn up with CSF chaps ready to windmill.

The outcome the chaps knew each other and buggered off for a shant as Pompey call it.

The Hunt's vehicles got what the foxs get ...

Not read the book so can’t comment on that. 

However, I used to work with a chap in the 1990s - a very professional and hard working - mild mannered bloke who wouldn’t say boo to a goose. And a City fan  

That is until Saturday came around - particularly when it came to our local rivals. His eyes would glaze over when the Gas were mentioned. He proudly boasted to me once that him and his mates caught a gas head after a local derby match, beat the living sh!t out of him, before throwing him off Bedminster bridge into the river. When I told him that was a long drop and he could have died, his genuinely felt belief was that he didn’t care - the bloke deserved it for being a gashead - and justified it by saying that the gashead would have done the same to him. 

I never saw him in the same light again  - whenever I saw him I saw a thug  

It beggars belief that there are people like that living in our community with any affiliation to  our club. 

1 hour ago, Sixtyseconds said:

Loon some of the chaps in PL's book were VERY left wing and took their windmilling and skirmishing tactics onto demos and anti Thatch activity.

Theres a great story out there about Pompey 657 being hired by a hunt as security.

The outcome the chaps knew each other and buggered off for a shant as Pompey call it.

Everyone I went with were and still are left of centre.

10 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

However, I used to work with a chap in the 1990s - a very professional and hard working - mild mannered bloke who wouldn’t say boo to a goose. And a City fan  

That is until Saturday came around - particularly when it came to our local rivals. His eyes would glaze over when the Gas were mentioned. He proudly boasted to me once that him and his mates caught a gas head after a local derby match, beat the living sh!t out of him, before throwing him off Bedminster bridge into the river. When I told him that was a long drop and he could have died, his genuinely felt belief was that he didn’t care - the bloke deserved it for being a gashead - and justified it by saying that the gashead would have done the same to him. 

It beggars belief that there are people like that living in our community with any affiliation to  our club. 

Ain't heard that before.......

1 hour ago, Sixtyseconds said:

Haha mint tale.

3 hours ago, Loon plage said:

Good point about the majority of "lads" being pro Thatcher, certainly around 1982.

The book isn't as well written as some although it is more honest than many, but Paul is a top chap and worked really hard to get the thing published. He has done some new work which is actually better but not sure whether he's looking to get that published.

I spoke to him briefly after one of the home games over Xmas and he gave the impression he was looking to get the new stuff out there. Wait and see I guess

1 hour ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

The lads I hung about with in the 80s contained qualified accountants, owner of successful businesses and the rest  ..........

Never judge a book by its cover - as the saying goes.

8 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

The lads I hung about with in the 80s contained qualified accountants, owner of successful businesses and the rest  ..........

Never judge a book by its cover - as the saying goes.

People always have the idea in their heads of working class unemployed bald men with polo necks on and tattoos all over themselves when they think of football hooligans.

Reality is very different.

42 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

People always have the idea in their heads of working class unemployed bald men with polo necks on and tattoos all over themselves when they think of football hooligans.

You are right Zider....apparently this guy was one of the top boys in Prestons firm back in the day.

933626710_download(2).jpeg.298763338b3f0c46a8c3bc801a2747db.jpeg

As an outsider looking in, I can well believe that. Planning covertly, ducking surveillance, police intelligence suggests a decent degree of intelligence too.

Economically? Reckon yeah pretty middling and well off people, but not exclusively- won't there be those who are skinheads, perhaps with far right sympathies (not suggesting all skinheads are far right or all far right are skint, bit of a broad brush) too? Pretty sure Chelsea hooligans in the 1980s, though likely middle class or upwards economically- well they had a rep for strongly hard right views let's say, Millwall too though perhaps a bit less flush economically. It probably can vary between clubs and areas too. Interested to read that there were City lads who were left of centre though.

Pretty complex picture I imagine, looking at it nationally. Lots of variations no doubt.

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

As an outsider looking in, I can well believe that. Planning covertly, ducking surveillance, police intelligence suggests a decent degree of intelligence too.

Economically? Reckon yeah pretty middling and well off people, but not exclusively- won't there be those who are skinheads, perhaps with far right sympathies (not suggesting all skinheads are far right or all far right are skint, bit of a broad brush) too? Pretty sure Chelsea hooligans in the 1980s, though likely middle class or upwards economically- well they had a rep for strongly hard right views let's say, Millwall too though perhaps a bit less flush economically. It probably can vary between clubs and areas too. Interested to read that there were City lads who were left of centre though.

Pretty complex picture I imagine, looking at it nationally. Lots of variations no doubt.

My older brother, now in his 60's, was very "involved" with the football in the 70's, and was pretty Left wing, I asked him one day a few years ago why he supported City over the Gas as we grew up in Northern Bristol , his answer was because he hated their right wing, NF racist support.

Btw does anyone else remember the red and white goalposts at Eastville?, I think one of the best football related wind ups ever :laugh:

5 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

You’re quite right. Criminality doesn’t have a class. 

On 25/12/2019 at 10:18, Seneca the Younger said:

Just received this from the old man, good quality book, not read any content yet

Just started reading it last night, talks as if they're cockney, all a bit cringe so far in my opinion, still interesting. 

26 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Just started reading it last night, talks as if they're cockney, all a bit cringe so far in my opinion, still interesting. 

The problem is a lot of these books are essentially ghost written with an audience in mind. There are definitely great stories to be told and characters to display, that would give a real insight into the culture and society of the time. Sadly never enough effort is put in. 

I started reading this and after about 60 or so pages, gave up. The slang used smacks of football factory or green street, very ‘wannabe’ London. It doesn’t sound like someone from Bristol has written it all. Also the boasting, bravado is a bit OTT. Kicking a police dog as well? Absolutely awful. 

I’ve read loads of “ hooligan” books  and wanted a City one to be completely different to the rest. Unfortunately it’s a copy and paste of every other book. They all lack the humour you get with a bunch of blokes going to football. There’s only one person in my mind that should be writing a City book.

2 minutes ago, Hello Dave said:

I’ve read loads of “ hooligan” books  and wanted a City one to be completely different to the rest. Unfortunately it’s a copy and paste of every other book. They all lack the humour you get with a bunch of blokes going to football. There’s only one person in my mind that should be writing a City book.

Not really my thing, but I have read a couple and they are pretty dismal, the honourable exception being 'Bovver', maybe it's because I get a few of the references, but trying to be unbiased, it does seem the pick of the bunch.

Archived