IGNORED

It all kicked off in Bristol (Merged)

CyderInACan

3 hours ago, poland_exile said:

It's mildly amusing / confusing that so many people who hate the very idea of this book have actually gone out and bought it - guess what, a book featuring a guy wielding a baseball bat on the cover isn't going to give you tips on tickling. 

I would agree that it's definitely not a memorable read compared to a few in the genre (would say that Scally, Steaming In and Naughty are by far the best in a pretty mediocre and one-dimensional field), but it is exactly what it promises to be on the sleeve - an inside look at our mob. 

It shan't be remembered as a work of great literary merit, and let's be honest, the proof reader should be finished off with the pistol, but fair play to the author for making a couple of quid and putting his thoughts onto paper - if you don't like it, don't buy it! If ever he (or anyone else for that matter) were to write a follow-up, I'd certainly look forward to ordering a copy. 

Steaming In was one of the books I rated. But forgot.  A few years old now.  Maybe Among the Thugs was another.   

On 05/05/2020 at 23:58, YorkshireSection said:

Not just the 80's mate, we still have that same respect by the firms that matter to this day.

Not saying your wrong as I am not knowledgable enough on the subject, but can you define what respect means, the only signs of any kind of hoolaginism or firms I see these days is a load of middle aged gammon posturing behind the safety of a police cordon... is their still things that go on that are organised outside of the immediate vicinity of the stadium?

2 hours ago, Isawjonshaw said:

Steaming In was one of the books I rated. But forgot.  A few years old now.  Maybe Among the Thugs was another.   

Great book Steaming In, and a good mention of City in there! 

I think the thing about that book (as well as Naughty, Scally, and as you mention Among The Thugs) is that it succeeds in capturing the spirit of an era and goes deeper than just parroting chest thumping war stories. 

5 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Quiz time. Is the following line: "for alarmingly large chunks of an average day, I am a moron" taken from:

1. Big Jane Austen's "Prowed and Prejudice"

2. Mr. P. Lumber's "It All Went Off In Bristol"

3. Nick Arsenal Fan's "Fever Pitch"

Without question, the biggest morons are the ones who do not like hooliganism, but have still purchased a book about hooliganism thereby enabling a self-confessed hooligan to trouser their money ?

Next up, OTIB user voices displeasure that the chocolate teapot he ordered has melted ?

5 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

Without question, the biggest morons are the ones who do not like hooliganism, but have still purchased a book about hooliganism thereby enabling a self-confessed hooligan to trouser their money ?

Next up, OTIB user voices displeasure that the chocolate teapot he ordered has melted ?

We should all educate ourselves on views we disagree with.

3 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

We should all educate ourselves on views we disagree with.

Well, sure, but you can do that without giving over your money - definitely not the smartest thing some people have done. Really, hats off to the bloke for that :D 

12 hours ago, poland_exile said:

You are suggesting that I have bought this book? 

On the topic of thieving, I recall being in a service station in the late 80s travelling on CATs. It was a large City following, possibly Bradford away in the LC, the City fans in the services simply stripped the shelves the staff and security were powerless to do anything. After that time I remember service stations putting restrictions on the number of 'football' coaches allowed in at any time. City coaches were sometimes met by police at services as well.

39 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

On the topic of thieving, I recall being in a service station in the late 80s travelling on CATs. It was a large City following, possibly Bradford away in the LC, the City fans in the services simply stripped the shelves the staff and security were powerless to do anything. After that time I remember service stations putting restrictions on the number of 'football' coaches allowed in at any time. City coaches were sometimes met by police at services as well.

If City, could it possibly have been KWBS? 

59 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Happened in the early 70s as well hardly ever any police in service stations got stopped on M6 once half the shop thrown out coach window.

6 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

I was in the back of a gullivers luton van which pulled into heston services when i came out the truck had reversed close up to the doors where the entire contents of shop were chucked in the back before speeding off

On 06/05/2020 at 23:36, BS4 on Tour... said:

They are very successful guys - eg Dougie Brimson served in the RAF for 18 years and has since won many awards for his film writing and Eddy is a successful actor and a stand up comedian. Dougie is also significantly older than you (assuming your date of birth is 1969) so may have followed England away before you did? You’ve also been privileged to have followed England in the ‘sanitised’ football experience era ... all that aside though, you say you haven’t seen them following England....so that means they didn’t? You identify, know, remember and log everyone who has followed England since you started doing so?

I think you are a very good poster and not wanting to get in to a argument but there books are poor and yes only being 50 but having been to Poland and turkey twice pre Euro 1996 I would not call that sanitised football on or off the field 

4 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

I think you are a very good poster and not wanting to get in to a argument but there books are poor and yes only being 50 but having been to Poland and turkey twice pre Euro 1996 I would not call that sanitised football on or off the field 

Fair play, thanks for the response, I appreciate it, cheers Sticks ...

On 07/05/2020 at 20:23, poland_exile said:

Just a tip don't believe everything your wife tells you. ? 

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fair play, thanks for the response, I appreciate it, cheers Sticks ...

Not a problem mate but was interested to hear that they have done well for themselves 

like the old saying goes never judge a book by its colour 

On 08/05/2020 at 12:27, GasDestroyer said:

If City, could it possibly have been KWBS? 

I think with the numbers who seemed to be involved it could have been a number of coaches. As I recall, later in the 80s/early 90s they stopped having unlimited 'football coaches' in the services at the same time. When I first started going away on coaches in the mid 80s there would often be 10+ coaches just from City in one service station.

On 08/05/2020 at 12:50, Ciderhead433 said:

Happened in the early 70s as well hardly ever any police in service stations got stopped on M6 once half the shop thrown out coach window.

I'm too young to recall those days, didn't start my away adventures until the mid 80s. 

7 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

Not a problem mate but was interested to hear that they have done well for themselves 

like the old saying goes never judge a book by its colour 

am a friend of Eddy's and can affirm he's an absolute diamond. An all-round good egg and brilliant comedian! I completely agree his football books are diabolical mind! 

3 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

I think with the numbers who seemed to be involved it could have been a number of coaches. As I recall, later in the 80s/early 90s they stopped having unlimited 'football coaches' in the services at the same time. When I first started going away on coaches in the mid 80s there would often be 10+ coaches just from City in one service station.

On good away games would be coaches from all the areas of Bristol plus a couple of the hardcore coaches that went to every away game.

Can ever remember Knowle West And Southmead sharing a coach

Archived