IGNORED

It all kicked off in Bristol (Merged)

CyderInACan

Does anybody think we are heading back to the old days? Society is clearly going to change following Covid - reports of high unemployment / recession - will football violence return as an escape from what’s going on in the country ? 

25 minutes ago, daored said:

Does anybody think we are heading back to the old days? Society is clearly going to change following Covid - reports of high unemployment / recession - will football violence return as an escape from what’s going on in the country ? 

No. Far too many cameras now.

23 minutes ago, daored said:

I would say not ...the fan base has changed so much in the last 30/40 years 

look how many women and young children go these days I think that plays a major part in how a lot of men behave 

like wise there are still some that want a row and if you look hard enough you will always find it 

but going back to the original question no dont think it will ever be so widespread  as it was 

and there is the added fact of cctv these days ,you might not get pulled that day but you might get a early wake up call from the boys in blue 

1 hour ago, sticks 1969 said:

look how many women and young children go these days I think that plays a major part in how a lot of men behave 

like wise there are still some that want a row and if you look hard enough you will always find it 

but going back to the original question no dont think it will ever be so widespread  as it was 

and there is the added fact of cctv these days ,you might not get pulled that day but you might get a early wake up call from the boys in blue 

If resentment over any recession does appear then I don`t think it will express itself at football, there are much easier targets in society for those sort of people to become aggressive towards.

32 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

If resentment over any recession does appear then I don`t think it will express itself at football, there are much easier targets in society for those sort of people to become aggressive towards.

32 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

what are the the easier targets you mention LR ?

20 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

what are the the easier targets you mention LR ?

Those that won`t fight back basically - there have already for instance been attacks by gangs of thugs on people of Chinese appearance that have been linked to the virus.

I just hope society doesn`t break down too much, we all need to pull together. There is no place for divisiveness at the moment or at any time.

Probably not...expenses and demographic changes as people say. 

Also @Lanterne Rouge there's recessions and recessions. From my understanding, one in early 1980s was pretty bad indeed. 1/8 unemployment. 

Certainly not condoning anything but an element of breakdown (not talking cowardly attacks like what you describe) certainly isn't too surprising in a major fall.

@sticks 1969 Last 30-40...or more like last 20/25-30? Football stadia had 'boys pens' or similar I believe. Indeed, saw a few games from the 1970s of kids running on the pitch at the end, maybe this wasn't the same everywhere or were these the 'naughty' ones?

4 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

....and probably facial recognition technology too

Yes so much has changed, in the past the police were on the back foot, this is both longer the case. Sentencing seems much tougher as well, being thrown out if the ground perhaps with a belt round the ear has been replaced with huge fines and even jail time for some pretty minor misdemeanors.

1 hour ago, sglosbcfc said:

Yes so much has changed, in the past the police were on the back foot, this is both longer the case. Sentencing seems much tougher as well, being thrown out if the ground perhaps with a belt round the ear has been replaced with huge fines and even jail time for some pretty minor misdemeanors.

If I was a social scientist, one might conclude that tougher sentencing combined with greater surveillance has resulted in less crime.

Bit if I was an academic then I’d be left-wing, so that wouldn’t fit my PC narrative ?

On 06/05/2020 at 20:27, Med/MadHatter said:

I personally enjoyed the book, a bit after my time for that kind of stuff but recognize a few people in there, have just bought the book for a second time on Kindle so can read on my work travels, it's not supposed to be high literature, just a normal blokes recollections of his youth/ early manhood, when I tell similar stories to my friends now they are aghast, but to many of us living in those times, poverty and physicality was just normality,  take the book to be entertainment, probably bits of embellishment but on the whole a reverie from today's reality.

Bit controversial here but I really enjoyed the gas book bovver by chris brown ..I knew it was always going to be biased and a little ...ok massively economical with the truth - but as a historical document of this cities football scene ,music scene and  pubs and clubs  where it all took place I think it’s a good read ,with the various tribes from the sixties onwards it pre dates mr lumbers book by quite a few years .

right I’ll just get my coat .....

Just now, ratboy said:

Bit controversial here but I really enjoyed the gas book bovver by chris brown ..I knew it was always going to be biased and a little ...ok massively economical with the truth - but as a historical document of this cities football scene ,music scene and  pubs and clubs  where it all took place I think it’s a good read ,with the various tribes from the sixties onwards it pre dates mr lumbers book by quite a few years .

I haven't read it but will try and find it, like you say it's just a bit more of Bristol history, and as it's more in my timeline I probably know more people in it too, cheers

10 minutes ago, ratboy said:

I see it was re released with a change of title, now called Booted and Suited, I think Miah Dennehy mentioned it in another post, as it's the second time this books been mentioned I think I will buy it on kindle :laugh:

1 minute ago, Med/MadHatter said:

I see it was re released with a change of title, now called Booted and Suited, I think Miah Dennehy mentioned it in another post, as it's the second time this books been mentioned I think I will buy it on kindle :laugh:

Suited and booted is his second book I think , not so much footy more music and scooters and hang outs also quite a good read though .

12 minutes ago, ratboy said:

Suited and booted is his second book I think , not so much footy more music and scooters and hang outs also quite a good read though .

Embarrassing.......Actually I beg your pardon you are correct as suited and booted was as he says ....parts of this book were previously published as  bovver ..ha ha I read em both and thought they were a bit samey.....suited and booted is quite a bit bigger content wise ....some  info  http://www.bristolarchiverecords.com/people/people_Chris_Brown.html

3 minutes ago, ratboy said:

Embarrassing.......Actually I beg your pardon you are correct as suited and booted was as he says ....parts of this book were previously published as  bovver ..ha ha I read em both and thought they were a bit samey.....suited and booted is quite a bit bigger content wise ....some  info  http://www.bristolarchiverecords.com/people/people_Chris_Brown.html

Cheers mate! 

1 hour ago, ratboy said:

haven't bought myself to read it for the rather obvious reason, but heard from many it's a fine book. Personally far prefer when books of this genre explore the times as opposed to just regaling cut and paste tales of kicking peoples heads in. Definitely I think that's what sets the ones worth reading apart from 'the rest'. 

16 hours ago, Med/MadHatter said:

I haven't read it but will try and find it, like you say it's just a bit more of Bristol history, and as it's more in my timeline I probably know more people in it too, cheers

I've read it also and it's ok albeit a tad biased as others have said. He does, however, talk a good bit about the music of the era which adds to it.

15 minutes ago, BigTone said:

I've read it also and it's ok albeit a tad biased as others have said. He does, however, talk a good bit about the music of the era which adds to it.

Thanks, the music side of the book will probably interest me more than the fighting side tbh, I think I will purchase and be damned!

In Lumber's book which I have been reading, he talks about a Rovers firm out of the Chequers Pub in Hanham in the 1970s. Before my time, but I find that staggering as the Chequers has always been a family friendly place for a meal and a pint by the river. Does anyone recall it being a no go zone for Reds?

6 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

In Lumber's book which I have been reading, he talks about a Rovers firm out of the Chequers Pub in Hanham in the 1970s. Before my time, but I find that staggering as the Chequers has always been a family friendly place for a meal and a pint by the river. Does anyone recall it being a no go zone for Reds?

May have changed? I know my dad has some stories to tell about the hen and chicken and I just can’t get my head around them when you look at it now!

5 minutes ago, Club and Country said:

May have changed? I know my dad has some stories to tell about the hen and chicken and I just can’t get my head around them when you look at it now!

Indeed the Hen and Chicken was a proper City pub back in the day.

24 minutes ago, Club and Country said:

That’s North St for you! Hen was always a bit rough until it got all poncyfied 

9 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

There's another one in Hanham too isn't there?

9 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

No went there regulary its where i took all my birds i was quite prolific back in the day ????

Some good City lads I knew in the 80s used to drink in the Maypole in Hanham. Was always a bit of a battle between City & Rovers over that side of town. Lumber touches on this in the book in places. Became a bit of a battle ground at times.

The Hen & Chicken was a bit of an 80s version of the Three Lions. The pub was rammed before City home games. Look at it today FFS!

Other pubs that I used to enjoy and were good in the day was Liquid Assets, The Rummer, The Shakespeare, Rising Sun. Followed by Chaplins (not quite a pub) in the evening down by Mad Harrys.

The Gas used to get in the pub opposite Chaplins (name escapes me) so that was always an opportunity when a few of us were out post match.

Archived