IGNORED

It all kicked off in Bristol (Merged)

CyderInACan

48 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

Some good City lads I knew in the 80s used to drink in the Maypole in Hanham. Was always a bit of a battle between City & Rovers over that side of town. Lumber touches on this in the book in places. Became a bit of a battle ground at times.

The Hen & Chicken was a bit of an 80s version of the Three Lions. The pub was rammed before City home games. Look at it today FFS!

Other pubs that I used to enjoy and were good in the day was Liquid Assets, The Rummer, The Shakespeare, Rising Sun. Followed by Chaplins (not quite a pub) in the evening down by Mad Harrys.

The Gas used to get in the pub opposite Chaplins (name escapes me) so that was always an opportunity when a few of us were out post match.

Prince Rupert youre thinking of GD....... 

Lived by the HC.

Strange on matchdays.

One minute there would be 150 casual chaps in it.

Go to the titchy toilets which have barely changed.

And on return the bar was empty with half drank pints left behind as the order had gone out to leave as the enemy had been sighted.

Forest once erred in and got stuck in the pool room.

They couldn't get out.

And City couldn't get in.

And you could watch the impasse on the pubs cctv behind the bar till the woodentops arrived.

Now the most out of shapes people get is complaining .. Ever so politely the pizzas late.

The HC hasn't just been gentrified its had its clangers removed.

1 hour ago, GasDestroyer said:

Other pubs that I used to enjoy and were good in the day was Liquid Assets, The Rummer, The Shakespeare, Rising Sun. Followed by Chaplins (not quite a pub) in the evening down by Mad Harrys.

Me and @Arthur Daley used to practically live in The Rummer when we worked at NU opposite. What a really great boozer it was. 

11 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

Some good City lads I knew in the 80s used to drink in the Maypole in Hanham. Was always a bit of a battle between City & Rovers over that side of town. Lumber touches on this in the book in places. Became a bit of a battle ground at times.

The Hen & Chicken was a bit of an 80s version of the Three Lions. The pub was rammed before City home games. Look at it today FFS!

The Gas used to get in the pub opposite Chaplins (name escapes me) so that was always an opportunity when a few of us were out post match.

In the mid to late 80s a City pub team played a Rovers pub team from Kingswood, I think possibly in Warmley. Police were called as 50-75 lads scrapped on the side of the pitch. That time I recall being so heated between the 2 Bristol clubs.

8 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

In the mid to late 80s a City pub team played a Rovers pub team from Kingswood, I think possibly in Warmley. Police were called as 50-75 lads scrapped on the side of the pitch. That time I recall being so heated between the 2 Bristol clubs.

That was at the Beat em and Whack um in Speedwell.  Essex Arms v Inns Court.

On 16/05/2020 at 07:52, weepywall said:

Indeed the Hen and Chicken was a proper City pub back in the day.

Didn't Millwall send a postcard to say they would be visiting, and the landlord hid his family in the loft?  I vaguely remember seeing the story on the local news.

13 minutes ago, In the Net said:

Didn't Millwall send a postcard to say they would be visiting, and the landlord hid his family in the loft?  I vaguely remember seeing the story on the local news.

If Millwall sent me a postcard I’d hide in bloody Australia.....

4 hours ago, In the Net said:

I also seem to remember that before a home game with Millwall  their mob were drinking in a pub on Cumberland Road - either the Orchard or the one on the corner now closed down can't remember which - and knowing that City would be in the Hen and Chicken they paid a taxi driver to go to the H & C and tell City that Millwall were ready and waiting in the pub.  City responded and it went off on Cumberland Rd by the pedestrian footbridge.

5 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

I also seem to remember that before a home game with Millwall  their mob were drinking in a pub on Cumberland Road - either the Orchard or the one on the corner now closed down can't remember which - and knowing that City would be in the Hen and Chicken they paid a taxi driver to go to the H & C and tell City that Millwall were ready and waiting in the pub.  City responded and it went off on Cumberland Rd by the pedestrian footbridge.

City got the worst of that as someone conveniently left a full skip for the south London visitors and City got over the bridge piecemeal.

4 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

If Millwall sent me a postcard I’d hide in bloody Australia.....

Posted before but that's me on the far left at the New Den trying to be inconspicuous after waving furiously at the away end. Then had to walk up into the main stand to a "small amount" of abuse from the home fans. At the end of the day I had a great time and love it at Millwall. Have been back many times and love it. They are all pussies really.

Millwall.jpg

2 hours ago, Natchfever said:

City got the worst of that as someone conveniently left a full skip for the south London visitors and City got over the bridge piecemeal.

when will people learn that skips and football don't mix well :D reminds me of the Charlton match ⛑️

2 hours ago, BigTone said:

Posted before but that's me on the far left at the New Den trying to be inconspicuous after waving furiously at the away end. Then had to walk up into the main stand to a "small amount" of abuse from the home fans. At the end of the day I had a great time and love it at Millwall. Have been back many times and love it. They are all pussies really.

Millwall.jpg

Tone, you sure you're not really Brian Wilson?

2 hours ago, BigTone said:

Millwall.jpg

To be fair, you should have got a large amount of abuse from all sides of the ground for the shirt alone, regardless of who you supported that day.

On 16/05/2020 at 11:14, GasDestroyer said:

Wasn’t The Clipper a City pub back in the late 80s/early 90s? Used to feel like it any way! 

37 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

To be fair, you should have got a large amount of abuse from all sides of the ground for the shirt alone, regardless of who you supported that day.

Really was one of the best days out. Loved it, even the abuse !!

4 hours ago, BigTone said:

Millwall.jpg

@JulieH you’re one lucky lady !!! ?

20 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

Wasn't no scrapping on the side because Rovers didn't show up on their own patch, tried to get in the Essex after but OB had shut it so we ended up in the Lord Rodney, it was a no-show from the blue-few 

Archived