IGNORED

It all kicked off in Bristol (Merged)

CyderInACan

17 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

The Clipper used to be a good early game meet up for many. Remember the Rovers game at AG when a certain Gas pub up by the Evening Post building had a visit by a few City prematch. Forget the name of the pub but it was opposite the old Veals fishing shop.

Old Market Tavern ?

I remember going in The Trooper where St George meets Hanham in a City shirt when I was a teenager. I was getting some stares and the landlady told me on the quiet I need to cover my shirt or I might be in bother.

Also recall a group of Gas (not local) surrounding me outside the Blue Bowl Hanham. It would have been 8 on 1 so I was lucky they were happy with a bit of pushing and shoving. 

Also Gas started on me in the Jolly Sailor on Cup final day early 2000s. Lads I knew this time and they quickly apologised and blamed the cider.

Note to self, I must drink more in South Bristol ?

7 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

I remember going in The Trooper where St George meets Hanham in a City shirt when I was a teenager. I was getting some stares and the landlady told me on the quiet I need to cover my shirt or I might be in bother.

Also recall a group of Gas (not local) surrounding me outside the Blue Bowl Hanham. It would have been 8 on 1 so I was lucky they were happy with a bit of pushing and shoving. 

Also Gas started on me in the Jolly Sailor on Cup final day early 2000s. Lads I knew this time and they quickly apologised and blamed the cider.

Good odds for them 8-1

36 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Always thought Harnham was a City stronghold particularly the Maypole, don't know much about that side of town though so could be wrong 

12 hours ago, Harry said:

started drinking in the Maypole in 1991. There was definitely plenty of City in there, but was probably slightly more gas. Jolly Sailor up the road tended to have more gas though.

Dave Martin & Gerry Harrison showed up in the maypole one time. Martin regaled us of his time at Millwall where he’d become friendly with a few of their lads!! 

I've had a pint or two with Matt Bryant in the Maypole around that time. 

I lived in Bristol for 3 years near the rovers ground ( sorry) and when they played Man City I had arranged to meet a couple of gas heads in the Wellington after the game for pint . Popped in just after half time in a pair of jeans and jumper ordered a pint and got chatting to a lad at the bar who followed england twenty minutes later 3 oaths rock up and said your a city fan and where were all my mates ?? To which I replied they have the wrong person , now if you know me You will know I stick out like a sore thumb and They knew me from England games .now to be total honest I thought I’m on for a shoeing here but held my nerve . With that the rovers fan at the bar could see what was going to happen said let’s take our drinks outside , once outside he suggested that maybe I should drink elsewhere to which I totally agreed and left after drinking up . The funny thing was I  bumped into him in Bulgaria a few weeks later at a england game and bought him and some Northampton lads around of beers and a big thanks . We have stayed loose friends ever since and like every team there are some good lads at each 

51 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Used to go in the Trooper a lot in late 90’s, early 2000’s. Plenty of City in there. The landlady you may be referring to could be Lynn, who was gas, and she didn’t like me at all, ha ha. Got told off by her most weekends for being loud, or singing, or language ?
I tended to find the Maypole & Trooper were more City, Jolly Sailor & Blue Bowl more gas. 

Blue Bowl I always remember being Gas. 

The Maypole and the Jolly would rotate nutters every 12 months in the early 90's. 

One minute the Maypole was like the wild west so everyone who didn't want the bother drank in the Jolly. The next the Maypole would clean its act up, kick out the nutters and they'd all decamp to the Jolly and everyone else would go back to the Maypole. 

6 hours ago, Harry said:

Used to go in the Trooper a lot in late 90’s, early 2000’s. Plenty of City in there. The landlady you may be referring to could be Lynn, who was gas, and she didn’t like me at all, ha ha. Got told off by her most weekends for being loud, or singing, or language ?
I tended to find the Maypole & Trooper were more City, Jolly Sailor & Blue Bowl more gas. 

Never been in there, but told the Butcher's arms as you leave Hanham into Longwell Green is full of City fans

6 hours ago, Galway Red said:

Always thought Harnham was a City stronghold particularly the Maypole, don't know much about that side of town though so could be wrong 

When I was a kid at school in hanham I'd say it was 80-20 Gas, now I'd say 60-40 Gas and that is only because of old timers, much more City kits worn by youngsters than Gas.

5 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

Blue Bowl I always remember being Gas. 

The Maypole and the Jolly would rotate nutters every 12 months in the early 90's. 

One minute the Maypole was like the wild west so everyone who didn't want the bother drank in the Jolly. The next the Maypole would clean its act up, kick out the nutters and they'd all decamp to the Jolly and everyone else would go back to the Maypole. 

I do remember the landlord of the Jolly being given a kicking by some regulars he fell out with. Very serious as he later died.

25 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Never been in there, but told the Butcher's arms as you leave Hanham into Longwell Green is full of City fans

I used to live not too far from the Butchers. Back then (80’s, 90’s), it was just an old man farmers type pub. Only went in there a couple of times but there was one chap who went in there who I didn’t particularly like, and he was gas. 
I also used to frequent the Barrs Court back in those days, which was mostly ok, until the gas lot from the Lamb on banjo all started going in there. Had a couple of ‘run-ins’ and found it was best for my own safety not to bother going there any more. 

35 minutes ago, Harry said:

I used to live not too far from the Butchers. Back then (80’s, 90’s), it was just an old man farmers type pub. Only went in there a couple of times but there was one chap who went in there who I didn’t particularly like, and he was gas. 
I also used to frequent the Barrs Court back in those days, which was mostly ok, until the gas lot from the Lamb on banjo all started going in there. Had a couple of ‘run-ins’ and found it was best for my own safety not to bother going there any more. 

Hi harry i to drank in the butchers the lamb and barrs court and yeah there were some nasty characters luckily for me i grew up with them all and got on well with most of them although i took some severe shit over the years including having a harp larger glass belted round my chin for singing heyo britol city at a disco in the early 70's and despite many attempts to turn me gas including a couple of kidnappings ?? taking me to eastville to see watney cup final and fa cup game v southampton paul randalls double i refused to buckle and became the only sheead from the island ???????COYR❤❤

20 minutes ago, Banjo Island said:

Hi harry i to drank in the butchers the lamb and barrs court and yeah there were some nasty characters luckily for me i grew up with them all and got on well with most of them although i took some severe shit over the years including having a harp larger glass belted round my chin for singing heyo britol city at a disco in the early 70's and despite many attempts to turn me gas including a couple of kidnappings ?? taking me to eastville to see watney cup final and fa cup game v southampton paul randalls double i refused to buckle and became the only sheead from the island ???????COYR❤❤

You don’t happen to share a surname with our owner, do you? 

2 minutes ago, One man went.... said:

Either that or watching City games in the Lamb. :laugh:... Every time, I have been in the Lamb recently, there is never hardly anyone in there, Including Sat Nights.

The Maypole is a very strong City pub lots of well known faces in there, Trooper is a fair mix nowadays. The Butchers is pretty neutral. Plenty of City in the Cross Keys also (Maudes old pub)..

Quite agree would say hanham  is more red now.?

4 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

When I was a kid at school in hanham I'd say it was 80-20 Gas, now I'd say 60-40 Gas and that is only because of old timers, much more City kits worn by youngsters than Gas.

I got that wrong then, always thought Harnham was red 

3 hours ago, Banjo Island said:

Ah. The trials and tribulations of living North of the River.

I was actually persuaded by my Rovers mates to do ballboy duties at Eastville for one game vs Reading as part of an indoctrination campaign. Massive fail I’m pleased to say, although I was shitting myself for most of that match in case any of the lads started shouting out ‘he’s a City fan’. 

Can also remember having a very dodgy night at Redland with me brazenly wearing my Bristol City blazer badge on a denim jacket in a Disco. Big mistake and there were 30 guys waiting for me outside the door. Lower profile in that neighbourhood from then on! 

Those on the South Side of the river had it easy!

7 hours ago, Harry said:

Barrs Court is a curry house now.

6 hours ago, citytop22 said:

Started drinking in the Jolly early 70s and I can't remember that

Much, much later mate, this was mid 90s, definitely happened. Another landlord a little time later screwed a girl on a pool table, then put it on the big screen after it was filmed on CCTV. Classy joint ?

Archived