IGNORED

It all kicked off in Bristol (Merged)

CyderInACan

9 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

Yeah, indeed he was. I think he was in the 5th year when I was in the 1st.

The most famous person from Hanham High until Stephen Merchant and "The Office" 

Matt Bryant's brother, Simon, also went to Hanham High and skippered the Rovers.

7 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

Much, much later mate, this was mid 90s, definitely happened. Another landlord a little time later screwed a girl on a pool table, then put it on the big screen after it was filmed on CCTV. Classy joint ?

I didn't realise the landlord had died. I wasn't living in Hanham at the time (I moved here in 2007) , but I knew the people involved and got to know the landlord after doing some work there. I would have thought if his death was as a result of the assault (which was appalling btw) charges would have been brought.

My son works in there now, so be careful about announcing if you're red or you'll run the danger of being given the out of date crisps :)

16 hours ago, Harry said:

I used to live not too far from the Butchers. Back then (80’s, 90’s), it was just an old man farmers type pub. Only went in there a couple of times but there was one chap who went in there who I didn’t particularly like, and he was gas. 
I also used to frequent the Barrs Court back in those days, which was mostly ok, until the gas lot from the Lamb on banjo all started going in there. Had a couple of ‘run-ins’ and found it was best for my own safety not to bother going there any more. 

*coughs*

Or, you could tell the story of how you ended up barred from the Butchers Arms, for doing absolutely nothing wrong.

Now, for those familiar with the area you'll remember back in the 90s, the land pretty much opposite the Butchers was largely undeveloped. You had Wickes, Great Mills and Asda Longwell, that was pretty much it.

This resulted in a lot of wasteland, which back then attracted a fair few members of the travelling community.

All it took was one young lad, with a fondness for Carter The Unstoppable Sex Machine (complete with tribute haircut) and a checked shirt to walk in to the pub for a very nervous landlord to immediately decide our hero in this tale might well be there to size up just how much lead could be on the roof and refuse him service.

Despite the fact he had an encyclopedic knowledge of the area and he made reasonable arguments as to why any exclusion was far from justified, the reality was, where the 44 bus stopped just wasn't ready for one particular fashion trailblazer.

1 hour ago, sglosbcfc said:

Matt Bryant's brother, Simon, also went to Hanham High and skippered the Rovers.

This I did not know. Was he older or younger than Matt? 

I seem to recall there was a lad in my year, Spencer Thomas, who was on the Gas books as a kid for a while but it never went anywhere. 

3 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

I seem to recall there was a lad in my year, Spencer Thomas, who was on the Gas books as a kid for a while but it never went anywhere. 

Simon was younger and was a very gifted player who was expected to go onto greater things (Manchester United were rumoured to be very interested) but -allegedly- was more fond of going out with his mates than he should have been .

Spenny Thomas was a very good local player who can now be seen coaching a very good kids team in Hanham.

14 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

Probably stuck in the carpark at the stadium still, surrounded by tens of thousands of the loyal and true.

24 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

We must know each other. I was in Spenny’s year too. 
Yeah, he went to rovers on YTS. He goes down the gate now though 

49 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

*coughs*

Or, you could tell the story of how you ended up barred from the Butchers Arms, for doing absolutely nothing wrong.

Now, for those familiar with the area you'll remember back in the 90s, the land pretty much opposite the Butchers was largely undeveloped. You had Wickes, Great Mills and Asda Longwell, that was pretty much it.

This resulted in a lot of wasteland, which back then attracted a fair few members of the travelling community.

All it took was one young lad, with a fondness for Carter The Unstoppable Sex Machine (complete with tribute haircut) and a checked shirt to walk in to the pub for a very nervous landlord to immediately decide our hero in this tale might well be there to size up just how much lead could be on the roof and refuse him service.

Despite the fact he had an encyclopedic knowledge of the area and he made reasonable arguments as to why any exclusion was far from justified, the reality was, where the 44 bus stopped just wasn't ready for one particular fashion trailblazer.

Ha ha. Great memory Rob. I had forgotten about that. I have to say, that haircut I had was an absolute shocker!! 

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

We must know each other. I was in Spenny’s year too. 
Yeah, he went to rovers on YTS. He goes down the gate now though 

I'm a fair bit older and Spenny is more of friends of friends rather than him being a mate, but I was quite involved with the Boco a few years back and still pop over to watch a game or have a pint now and then.

Moved to Hanham not long back after spending most of life in Briz. Was expecting it to be full of gas but have to say you see many more city shirts around than gas which was a surprise. So just to confirm, I need to head to the Maypole to watch city on sky to be amongst reds?  I think it’s a myth from south that these areas are all gas but did get called a shithead walking through kingswood when a group of 6 young ones spotted a tattoo & in asda by an old boy.

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I'm a fair bit older and Spenny is more of friends of friends rather than him being a mate, but I was quite involved with the Boco a few years back and still pop over to watch a game or have a pint now and then.

Live right by Boco and good team to watch  with a great clubhouse.  One of residents in favour of the floodlights

My footballing dreams ended in the 4th year of Primary School playing for Christchurch against our nearest and greatest rivals Hanham Abbotts. 

I came on as a sub with about 20 minutes to go and was playing at the back. I can't remember what the score was but I think we were drawing at that point. 

The ball came passed me and instead of collecting it which would have been easy as it wasn't moving that quickly, I called out "your ball keeper". Unfortunately I think our keeper was half asleep and I watched in horror as the ball trickled across the line. 

Hanham High had quite a strong reputation for football in the late 80s but I moved on to Rugby by then. 

And yes @harry, I believe we do know each other. I have a strong recollection of being in the Maypole with you, Dave Martin and Matt Bryant at one time. 

15 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

Rog T (well known City) used to get in the Trooper a bit. Lives in Keynsham nowadays I think? Used to drink in the boozer by Keynsham Rugby club last I heard. Trooper had a good old skool music night at one time. 

Roger is a good friend of mine since early 70s he always lived in keynsham and I was from Hanham we did use the maypole a lot and Town in those days ! I use to run coaches to away games from hanham aswell  

27 minutes ago, weymouth red said:

Yes since late 70s hanham has been red we all use to youse the no 9 bus from hanham to the gate ?

Me incuded after walking to hanham from banjo there was always two notorius brothers on board the number 9 ??we later became good friends and me my brothers and city mates started drinking in the maypole pre match it was always packed with quality city lads many away trips folowed with plenty of stories to tell one trip i remeber we all got a coach from the hippodrome at 7 oclock am for a 3 olock kick off in newport by 10 clock the two brothers had been arrested for scrapping by the time we got back on coach after game there was about 20 on board it had left bristol with 50  ????

3 hours ago, Harry said:

Ha ha. Great memory Rob. I had forgotten about that. I have to say, that haircut I had was an absolute shocker!! 

Nothing wrong with a ‘JimBob’ Harry!  All the rage back then along with curtains with an undercut!  

3 hours ago, Shuffle said:

Live right by Boco and good team to watch  with a great clubhouse.  One of residents in favour of the floodlights

I lived right opposite until about 5 years ago. It took us years to get the clubhouse and typically my son left the club just as it opened!

1 hour ago, Banjo Island said:

Me incuded after walking to hanham from banjo there was always two notorius brothers on board the number 9 ??we later became good friends and me my brothers and city mates started drinking in the maypole pre match it was always packed with quality city lads many away trips folowed with plenty of stories to tell one trip i remeber we all got a coach from the hippodrome at 7 oclock am for a 3 olock kick off in newport by 10 clock the two brothers had been arrested for scrapping by the time we got back on coach after game there was about 20 on board it had left bristol with 50  ????

Fare dodgers?

3 hours ago, Shuffle said:

Moved to Hanham not long back after spending most of life in Briz. Was expecting it to be full of gas but have to say you see many more city shirts around than gas which was a surprise. So just to confirm, I need to head to the Maypole to watch city on sky to be amongst reds?  I think it’s a myth from south that these areas are all gas but did get called a shithead walking through kingswood when a group of 6 young ones spotted a tattoo & in asda by an old boy.

The Maypole was run for years by  a well known Rovers fan who died last year. Hanham & St George have always been a bit 50/50 . Hanham maybe north of the river but if you look at it on a map it is probably in the southern part of the city (if that makes sense) . 

Edit. Just looked on the map and Longwell Green is further south than Bedminster!

41 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

The Maypole was run for years by  a well known Rovers fan who died last year. Hanham & St George have always been a bit 50/50 . Hanham maybe north of the river but if you look at it on a map it is probably in the southern part of the city (if that makes sense) . 

Edit. Just looked on the map and Longwell Green is further south than Bedminster!

Tony was loved by many city fans of a certain disposition if you get my drift Miah, loads would visit the Maypole during his fight against his illness and the attendees at the great mans funeral said it all.

Did you know that he was arrested at AG guesting for us versus Man City many years ago and was described as "City fan Tony S**** of Tabernacle Road in the paper ? Got some stick for that from you lot but not too much as you knew his capabilities i'm sure!

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Longwell green isn’t in Bristol 

28 minutes ago, One man went.... said:

Boco club is run by a Rovers fan ( J Winter I recall) but I can remember them running 3 coaches and the shtty old bone rattler minibus ( Which we were on) to Wembley for the League trophy final against Walsall in 2015. It is a good mix in there and will flourish I reckon, when they are finally allowed to erect floodlights..

What a nice bloke John and practically lives on those pitches but always very welcoming. Believe he’s manager of first team. 

My neighbor is involved with Getting floodlights approved (Dennis an Irish guy) & swears more reds in Boco but have to say never got that impression.

is a good set up and there are some right self important people living close intent on them growing

9 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I didn't realise the landlord had died. I wasn't living in Hanham at the time (I moved here in 2007) , but I knew the people involved and got to know the landlord after doing some work there. I would have thought if his death was as a result of the assault (which was appalling btw) charges would have been brought.

My son works in there now, so be careful about announcing if you're red or you'll run the danger of being given the out of date crisps :)

Charges were brought with regard the assault. He had underlying health problems so didn't die as a direct result of the attack but it didn't help of course.

Some of the group were also involved in fighting with Phil Kite, Rovers keeper (Andy ?) And some other Gas players in town around the same time. Evening Post ran a story that the innocent Gas players had been attacked by a City firm. The truth was the Gas players were giving it the big one especially Andy ? and came unstuck. It was not a City firm, just some Hanham lads who 2 or 3 happened to be City fans, others were definitely not.

Archived