IGNORED

It all kicked off in Bristol (Merged)

CyderInACan

8 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

This I did not know. Was he older or younger than Matt? 

I seem to recall there was a lad in my year, Spencer Thomas, who was on the Gas books as a kid for a while but it never went anywhere. 

He was much younger, probably ten years younger. Spenny Thomas was a good player. At Forest before Gas I believe.

3 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

The Maypole was run for years by  a well known Rovers fan who died last year. Hanham & St George have always been a bit 50/50 . Hanham maybe north of the river but if you look at it on a map it is probably in the southern part of the city (if that makes sense) . 

Edit. Just looked on the map and Longwell Green is further south than Bedminster!

Very generous of you to say 50-50. I would still say Rovers areas but definitely changing towards City.

2 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

He was much younger, probably ten years younger. Spenny Thomas was a good player. At Forest before Gas I believe.

Yes, Spenny went to Forest as a schoolboy, when we were in the 4th year I think (what’s that Year 10 nowadays!). 
There were 2 in our year who got schoolboy terms - Spenny at Forest and a lad called Martyn at City. 
Cloughy was in charge of Forest when Spen was there. 
After we left school, Spen then went to rovers on YTS. 

I only ever made it into the school rugby team because when I joined in the 3rd year, was asked if I wanted to do rugby practise after school, lined up at centre and then Martyn got the ball and ran towards me. He was a bloody big lad for his age, but of course I’d only just joined the school so had no idea he was a hard-nut, so I tackled him and saved a certain try. 
Next thing I know, I’m asked if I wanna play for the school this weekend, as “no one tackles Martyn”, so they figured I was gonna be quite good, ha ha! We had a good rugby team as well, a few of whom went on to play for Dings as they rose up the leagues. 

12 hours ago, Harry said:

Ha ha. Great memory Rob. I had forgotten about that. I have to say, that haircut I had was an absolute shocker!! 

Haha, we spoke on one thread a few months ago about how we must have stood in the open end right next to each other, have just worked out now exactly who you are :D And yes, we did stand right next to each other (my mate I'd go down with was also into Carter USM :D

35 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

Haha, we spoke on one thread a few months ago about how we must have stood in the open end right next to each other, have just worked out now exactly who you are :D And yes, we did stand right next to each other (my mate I'd go down with was also into Carter USM :D

Ha ha. Glad to know that ridiculous haircut of mine and a You Fat Bastard T-shirt we’re so memorable ?

Would I know you and your mate by name or just a face? 

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Yes, Spenny went to Forest as a schoolboy, when we were in the 4th year I think (what’s that Year 10 nowadays!). 
There were 2 in our year who got schoolboy terms - Spenny at Forest and a lad called Martyn at City. 
Cloughy was in charge of Forest when Spen was there. 
After we left school, Spen then went to rovers on YTS. 

I only ever made it into the school rugby team because when I joined in the 3rd year, was asked if I wanted to do rugby practise after school, lined up at centre and then Martyn got the ball and ran towards me. He was a bloody big lad for his age, but of course I’d only just joined the school so had no idea he was a hard-nut, so I tackled him and saved a certain try. 
Next thing I know, I’m asked if I wanna play for the school this weekend, as “no one tackles Martyn”, so they figured I was gonna be quite good, ha ha! We had a good rugby team as well, a few of whom went on to play for Dings as they rose up the leagues. 

Do you mean Martyn Lewis. His old man ran the newsagents opposite The Blue Bowl. He was a big old unit with a hell of a kick on him. I knew he was with City for a while. I remember him scoring for Hanham High from the half way line ?

2 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Do you mean Martyn Lewis. His old man ran the newsagents opposite The Blue Bowl. He was a big old unit with a hell of a kick on him. I knew he was with City for a while. I remember him scoring for Hanham High from the half way line ?

Yes, Lewis is the one I’m talking about. Was a big lad for his age, for sure. Nice chap. 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Ha ha. Glad to know that ridiculous haircut of mine and a You Fat Bastard T-shirt we’re so memorable ?

Would I know you and your mate by name or just a face? 

If my memory serves me correctly (and there's no guarantee it does), then my mate even had a few pints with you the evening we lost to the gas 4-0 as I'm certain I remember him telling me at school the next day (blimey, it really is a long time!) how he bumped into you at a Carter concert later that night!?

I've had a few chats with you but never knew your name and vice versa (I also worked in the coronation tap when I was 18 or so and remember chatting to you a few times in there!). 

17 hours ago, Shuffle said:

What a nice bloke John and practically lives on those pitches but always very welcoming. Believe he’s manager of first team. 

My neighbor is involved with Getting floodlights approved (Dennis an Irish guy) & swears more reds in Boco but have to say never got that impression.

is a good set up and there are some right self important people living close intent on them growing

I wouldn't believe a word Dennis says, he's  Rangers & City for god's sake. Well known for talking absolute rubbish :)

17 hours ago, One man went.... said:

Boco club is run by a Rovers fan ( J Winter I recall) but I can remember them running 3 coaches and the shtty old bone rattler minibus ( Which we were on) to Wembley for the League trophy final against Walsall in 2015. It is a good mix in there and will flourish I reckon, when they are finally allowed to erect floodlights..

Johnny is indeed Gas but his dad and brother aren't. His drive and ambition have got the club to where they are today. When my lad joined (before the merger with AEK) they had a total of 44 players, I bet they can't be far short of 1000 now. Loosely speaking, I would say those who have been associated with the club from the early days (particularly the AEK lads) are Rovers, whereas those who have got involved through moving to the area with young children tend to be City. I certainly see ore youngsters in City shirts over there rather than Rovers.

I have been on that mini bus many times, normally when a few of us go horse racing. It is probably the most uncomfortable vehicle I have ever been in in my life. On many occasions  I have been cramped in it, in agony,  regretting having one last pint in the clubhouse as I realise we are an hour away from a piss stop.

5 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

That’s true.......Try living next door to him !!

You have my sympathy. The rest of the family are lovely, it's just Dennis who is the problem :)

I must walk past your house on my morning walk, you had better watch what you say on here or you may end up with a BRFC mural on the side of yer house :)

11 hours ago, poland_exile said:

If my memory serves me correctly (and there's no guarantee it does), then my mate even had a few pints with you the evening we lost to the gas 4-0 as I'm certain I remember him telling me at school the next day (blimey, it really is a long time!) how he bumped into you at a Carter concert later that night!?

I've had a few chats with you but never knew your name and vice versa (I also worked in the coronation tap when I was 18 or so and remember chatting to you a few times in there!). 

That’d be the gig in Newport. I went backstage afterwards and got them both to sign the back of my CSF calling card. ?

10 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

I see him in the Dolman from time to time.

This thread is turning into a mini-reunion thread for me, ha ha. 

1 hour ago, Natchfever said:

How did I manage that ? Daft those places aren't part of Bristol 

They ARE part of Bristol.

I grew up in Hanham and Bristol was always the last line of our postal address. 

They might be in a different local authority area now, but they are part of the urban area of Bristol. 

28 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

They might be in a different local authority area now, but they are part of the urban area of Bristol. 

Absolutely impossible.

City and County of Bristol. Not in the city or the county of Bristol. 

They arnt part of Bristol, simple as that. 

A postal address makes no difference, it’s like saying half of Cornwall is in Truro. 

19 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Think you may have missed the context of the "conversation" on the point.Someone initially pointed out that Longwell Green wasn't in Bristol, to which a retort was made that neither was Hanham.

None of the areas mentioned in the mini "chain" of posts are in Bristol so your assertion that they ARE part of Bristol is incorrect.

They are certainly part of the informal "Greater Bristol" and i'm certain 95% of residents might describe themselves to someone on holiday as being from Bristol but until the government does the right thing and includes those areas within the city they remain firmly independent of Mayor Rees.

15 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

The most fighting i saw in a ground over the last 20 or so years, was certainly preston away, last game off the season under john ward.

It was going on in the stand opposite us, and in the stand at the far end, for most of the game, 

Plenty got nicked that day i recall.

Wasn't that the game when Sean McCarthy (sp?) Scored and then tried to go all Hugo Sanchez with his celebrations and did his back in?

I'm not the slightest bloke in the world, but even I know my limitations.

7 minutes ago, S25loyal said:

Absolutely impossible.

City and County of Bristol. Not in the city or the county of Bristol. 

They arnt part of Bristol, simple as that. 

A postal address makes no difference, it’s like saying half of Cornwall is in Truro. 

Bollocks. Hanham is part of the continually built-up area of Bristol.

We always put Bristol on our address, as did all our neighbours.

"South Gloucestershire" had not been invented then. 

6 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Think you may have missed the context of the "conversation" on the point.Someone initially pointed out that Longwell Green wasn't in Bristol, to which a retort was made that neither was Hanham.

None of the areas mentioned in the mini "chain" of posts are in Bristol so your assertion that they ARE part of Bristol is incorrect.

They are certainly part of the informal "Greater Bristol" and i'm certain 95% of residents might describe themselves to someone on holiday as being from Bristol but until the government does the right thing and includes those areas within the city they remain firmly independent of Mayor Rees.

Other than utter nondies, people don't refer to themselves as being from these new artificially created unitary authorities. No one says, "I'm from South Gloucestershire" if they live in Hanham. That was the point I'm making. It is indeed in Greater Bristol. 

8 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Bollocks. Hanham is part of the continually built-up area of Bristol.

We always put Bristol on our address, as did all our neighbours.

"South Gloucestershire" had not been invented then. 

How is it bollocks? How can you be part of a city and county when you aren't within the boundaries?

i haven’t mentioned south Gloucestershire before.  

11 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Yes rob, im sure preston scored early, then sean m scored.

In those days it was open terracing along by the side of the pitch for the away fans.

I can remeber looking at the two stands watching people get turfed out.

Remember it well, before the police taking us on a multi mile walk back to the station, before a night out in Blackpool.

17 minutes ago, S25loyal said:

How is it bollocks? How can you be part of a city and county when you aren't within the boundaries?

i haven’t mentioned south Gloucestershire before.  

It is relevant as South Gloucestershire hadn't been invented when I lived in Hanham. 

Local government gerrymandering is irrelevant. Hanham is in Greater Bristol. It is in the Bristol conurbation. Full stop.

Archived