IGNORED

It all kicked off in Bristol (Merged)

CyderInACan

17 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Remember it well, before the police taking us on a multi mile walk back to the station, before a night out in Blackpool.

Was that the night we ‘lost’ Lenny? 

10 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

It is relevant as South Gloucestershire hadn't been invented when I lived in Hanham. 

Local government gerrymandering is irrelevant. Hanham is in Greater Bristol. It is in the Bristol conurbation. Full stop.

I’m not mentioning south glos, I don’t care what county Hanham is in but it isn’t Bristol which means it can’t be part of Bristol, as Bristol is its own city and county. How is that hard to understand ?

There is no such thing as greater Bristol, you can’t just go making up your own boundaries and ideas. 

Hanham is not part of Bristol, it’s absolutely impossible to be, it isn’t within the boundaries, it never has been, and there isn’t a greater Bristol. 

The same as Bristol airport isn’t in Bristol and never has been. 

54 minutes ago, S25loyal said:

I’m not mentioning south glos, I don’t care what county Hanham is in but it isn’t Bristol which means it can’t be part of Bristol, as Bristol is its own city and county. How is that hard to understand ?

There is no such thing as greater Bristol, you can’t just go making up your own boundaries and ideas. 

Hanham is not part of Bristol, it’s absolutely impossible to be, it isn’t within the boundaries, it never has been, and there isn’t a greater Bristol. 

Go and look up what conurbation means. Local government boundaries are artificial and irrelevant*.

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

It is relevant as South Gloucestershire hadn't been invented when I lived in Hanham. 

Local government gerrymandering is irrelevant. Hanham is in Greater Bristol. It is in the Bristol conurbation. Full stop.

I certainly always put Hanham. Bristol as an address , as I would imagine anyone would, but it is definitely (albeit only just) outside the city boundary and isn't strictly speaking Bristol. Before Bristol reverted to being a county, it would have been in Avon, which came into being in 1974 and I think- though can't be sure- that it would have been in Gloucestershire before that rather than the County of Bristol (There never has been a 'Greater Bristol').

I grew up in Oldbury Court - which is in Bristol- and went to the local junior school, where some children arrived at school on what was known as the Gloucestershire bus, which always seemed like it must be miles away to me as a child, but was in reality just referring to areas such as Downend . Many of the areas that we all refer to as Bristol were originally in Gloucestershire.

I'm afraid this all means you aren't Bristolian, cannot purport to support the 'One Team in Bristol'  and will have to transfer your allegiance to 'South Gloucestershire's team'  .

May I take this opportunity to welcome you to The Gas and please feel free to message me if you want any tips on where to drink pre match etc. 

1 hour ago, S25loyal said:

Except when it was in Whitchurch , or was that Somerset back then?

It's a can of worms I tell 'ee.

1 minute ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I certainly always put Hanham. Bristol as an address , as I would imagine anyone would, but it is definitely (albeit only just) outside the city boundary and isn't strictly speaking Bristol. Before Bristol reverted to being a county, it would have been in Avon, which came into being in 1974 and I think- though can't be sure- that it would have been in Gloucestershire before that rather than the County of Bristol (There never has been a 'Greater Bristol').

I grew up in Oldbury Court - which is in Bristol- and went to the local junior school, where some children arrived at school on what was known as the Gloucestershire bus, which always seemed like it must be miles away to me as a child, but was in reality just referring to areas such as Downend . Many of the areas that we all refer to as Bristol were originally in Gloucestershire.

I'm afraid this all means you aren't Bristolian, cannot purport to support the 'One Team in Bristol'  and will have to transfer your allegiance to 'South Gloucestershire's team'  .

May I take this opportunity to welcome you to The Gas and please feel free to message me if you want any tips on where to drink pre match etc. 

I said I grew up there. I was born in Bedmister so am definitely Bristolian even if you define oneself by the nonsensically random local government boundaries put up around the city. 

Nice try though  ;)

17 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I said I grew up there. I was born in Bedmister so am definitely Bristolian even if you define oneself by the nonsensically random local government boundaries put up around the city. 

Nice try though  ;)

I know people, I can still get you in. You will of course have to change your name to Blue Bob.

1 minute ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I know people, I can still get you in. You will of course have to change your name to Blue Bob.

It would never happen. As a poster above points out Hanham is RED.

Anyway, I live in the 'eart of Zummerzet nowadays.

Hanham has never been part of Bristol. It has been part of Gloucestershire, Avon and now South Gloucestershire. Of course I say I'm from Bristol as most people outside of our area wouldn't have heard of Hanham, but strictly speaking I'm not.

3 hours ago, Harry said:

That’d be the gig in Newport. I went backstage afterwards and got them both to sign the back of my CSF calling card. ?

This thread is turning into a mini-reunion thread for me, ha ha. 

Can we rename it 'it all kicked off in Hanham ???'

1 hour ago, sglosbcfc said:

Can we rename it 'it all kicked off in Hanham ???'

I look forward to the chapter when the co-op 'took' that fruit market* that was by Lloyds Bank.

*might have been something else there before the co-op, i have vague memories of a chippy being on site.

Also, does ANYONE remeber a day when that motorcycle accessories place at the bottom of Tabernacle and the High Street looked remotely open? Even though it always was. There are more welcoming knocking-shops!

8 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I look forward to the chapter when the co-op 'took' that fruit market* that was by Lloyds Bank.

*might have been something else there before the co-op, i have vague memories of a chippy being on site.

Also, does ANYONE remeber a day when that motorcycle accessories place at the bottom of Tabernacle and the High Street looked remotely open? Even though it always was. There are more welcoming knocking-shops!

????surely that was a money laundering operation. They never had a customer in 40 years ???

21 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

12 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

????surely that was a money laundering operation. They never had a customer in 40 years ???

All jokes aside, when was that ever open?! I was born in 95 and have no memory of it ever seeming occupied

52 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

All jokes aside, when was that ever open?! I was born in 95 and have no memory of it ever seeming occupied

Had cause to use it once. They had everything you could want or need for a car repair, bike repair or major feat of engineering, bit scattered all over the place.

Never once looked open, how he ever made any money is a mystery how he kept trading is an even bigger mystery.

If it's still there, pop in when you next go by, it was part shop, part workshop.

4 hours ago, S25loyal said:

Kingswood isn’t in Bristol either, so why the Gas opened a Club shop outside Bristol Is beyond me.

3 hours ago, Countryfile said:

Kingswood isn’t in Bristol either, so why the Gas opened a Club shop outside Bristol Is beyond me.

Well they weren't the biggest team in Bristol, and then they weren't even the biggest team in Somerset. The only logical option was to try South Glos next. 

6 hours ago, Countryfile said:

Half of Kingswood is, where there club shop was is right on the border, can't be sure if it is Bristol or South Glos. 

9 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

Hanham has never been part of Bristol. It has been part of Gloucestershire, Avon and now South Gloucestershire. Of course I say I'm from Bristol as most people outside of our area wouldn't have heard of Hanham, but strictly speaking I'm not.

Actually in 1891, the same municipal act that brought Bedminster into Bristol also brought part of Hanham into Bristol*. The boundary changed back during the creation of Kingswood  Urban District Council. 

The UN defines cities as a contiguous metropolitan area. How local government decides to divide up those areas is irrelevant.

I think few people would argue that Manchester United don't play in Manchester. Although technically Old Trafford is in the Borough of Trafford and was historically part of Stretford in Lancashire. Notwithstanding all this local government hoo-ha, it's clearly within the Greater Manchester area.

Same with Hanham. Although it has been outside the local government definition of Bristol, what had hitherto been a separate coal-mining village  became entirely attached to the city of Bristol by the 1860s as Bristol expanded east through St George and Brislington and out either side of  what was then just called the Bath Road.

It is, as the UN would note, within the contiguous urban area of Bristol, without a buffer zone like Keynsham.

* See page 41 of this.  http://www.bris.ac.uk/Depts/History/bristolrecordsociety/publications/brs50.pdf

8 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Actually in 1891, the same municipal act that brought Bedminster into Bristol also brought part of Hanham into Bristol*. The boundary changed back during the creation of Kingswood  Urban District Council. 

The UN defines cities as a contiguous metropolitan area. How local government decides to divide up those areas is irrelevant.

I think few people would argue that Manchester United don't play in Manchester. Although technically Old Trafford is in the Borough of Trafford and was historically part of Stretford in Lancashire. Notwithstanding all this local government hoo-ha, it's clearly within the Greater Manchester area.

Same with Hanham. Although it has been outside the local government definition of Bristol, what had hitherto been a separate coal-mining village  became entirely attached to the city of Bristol by the 1860s as Bristol expanded east through St George and Brislington and out either side of  what was then just called the Bath Road.

It is, as the UN would note, within the contiguous urban area of Bristol, without a buffer zone like Keynsham.

* See page 41 of this.  http://www.bris.ac.uk/Depts/History/bristolrecordsociety/publications/brs50.pdf

Still outside the City and County of Bristol ?

23 hours ago, S25loyal said:

Absolutely impossible.

City and County of Bristol. Not in the city or the county of Bristol. 

They arnt part of Bristol, simple as that. 

A postal address makes no difference, it’s like saying half of Cornwall is in Truro. 

Yeovil had a Bath Post code!!!!!!! 

I have lived in Hanham for the past 12 years. I have to say that I think it is far more red than blue. A lot of the City lot that live over here are good 'lads' as well.

There really doesn't seem to be many young gas lads here at all. Maybe just poor unfortunates who are forced to be blue by vindictive relations.

As an example I took a kids football training session for a group of 12 year olds from AEK Boco. 14 kids turned up. 12 wearing City shirts, a plump boy in a Man Utd shirt and a ginger kid in a Rovers shirt (his dad is gas).

As for pubs, on Northern Soul nights up the Trooper you do get a small group of ex skinhead gas who are about 60 years old. I know them all and there is never any bother. Most in there are City. Jolly does get some gas in when they have a home match. Tend to drink there pre match and travel to the game. Not many though. Maypole is almost exclusively City. Cross Keys is virtually all red. Blue Bowl......not sure, shit food pub I avoid.

Gotta be said ......... Hanham is Red.

3 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

Still outside the City and County of Bristol ?

Which bit of "it doesn't matter what arbitrary boundaries local government draw" wasn't clear?

Until 1974, Manchester United didn't play in Manchester according to local government boundaries. Yet clearly they did - hence the name.

5 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Which bit of "it doesn't matter what arbitrary boundaries local government draw" wasn't clear?

Until 1974, Manchester United didn't play in Manchester according to local government boundaries. Yet clearly they did - hence the name.

Why is the UN more important than actual boundaries? 

In your eyes then no boundaries exist at all then?

What happens when Bradford and Leeds finally meet up, a new city called Braleeds?

Archived