IGNORED

It all kicked off in Bristol (Merged)

CyderInACan

1 minute ago, S25loyal said:

Why is the UN more important than actual boundaries? 

In your eyes then no boundaries exist at all then?

What happens when Bradford and Leeds finally meet up, a new city called Braleeds?

Not random local government made-up ones. For example, no one born in Midsomer Norton would say "I was born in BANES". Everyone would say "I was born in Somerset". If you travel from Horfield to Filton no one thinks "I'm leaving Bristol now". You are clearly in the same continuously built-up city. 

Boundaries change continuously. As I pointed out from the link I posted, Hanham was originally in Gloucestershire (as was most of what we now think of as the city of Bristol) but in 1891 it became part of Bristol only to transfer to another local government area (Kingswood) in the 20th century.

Various posters make reference "the city and county of Bristol" but there has been no such thing since 1972.  Only one city "Bristol" administered by two local authorities - BCC and SGDC.

Eventually, we might get a sensible solution as happened to the Manchester conurbation in 1974, where various diffuse boroughs and districts were all recognised as constituent parts of one authority "Greater Manchester". Until then we have the logistically daft 'one city, two local authorities' situation. Even the horror that was Avon made more sense.

2 hours ago, Malaggro CNF said:

I have lived in Hanham for the past 12 years. I have to say that I think it is far more red than blue. A lot of the City lot that live over here are good 'lads' as well.

There really doesn't seem to be many young gas lads here at all. Maybe just poor unfortunates who are forced to be blue by vindictive relations.

As an example I took a kids football training session for a group of 12 year olds from AEK Boco. 14 kids turned up. 12 wearing City shirts, a plump boy in a Man Utd shirt and a ginger kid in a Rovers shirt (his dad is gas).

As for pubs, on Northern Soul nights up the Trooper you do get a small group of ex skinhead gas who are about 60 years old. I know them all and there is never any bother. Most in there are City. Jolly does get some gas in when they have a home match. Tend to drink there pre match and travel to the game. Not many though. Maypole is almost exclusively City. Cross Keys is virtually all red. Blue Bowl......not sure, shit food pub I avoid.

Gotta be said ......... Hanham is Red.

Pretty much al of North Bristol is red - i moved to Yate 12 years ago and that’s definitely more City than gas from what i see 

Just now, Moments of Pleasure said:

Little Stoke was blue yesterday, I can officially report, when I was there for about an hour and a half. The final score in shirts was:

City 0 Rovers 1.

Come on Little Stoke, pull yer bloody shirt out. 

Patchway, little Stoke and Filton definitely more red than blue these days

31 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Little Stoke was blue yesterday, I can officially report, when I was there for about an hour and a half. The final score in shirts was:

City 0 Rovers 1.

Come on Little Stoke, pull yer bloody shirt out. 

"A pleasantly surprising 2-0 win for the Gas in Asda Longwell Green this morning :)

2 hours ago, Malaggro CNF said:

I have lived in Hanham for the past 12 years. I have to say that I think it is far more red than blue. A lot of the City lot that live over here are good 'lads' as well.

There really doesn't seem to be many young gas lads here at all. Maybe just poor unfortunates who are forced to be blue by vindictive relations.

As an example I took a kids football training session for a group of 12 year olds from AEK Boco. 14 kids turned up. 12 wearing City shirts, a plump boy in a Man Utd shirt and a ginger kid in a Rovers shirt (his dad is gas).

As for pubs, on Northern Soul nights up the Trooper you do get a small group of ex skinhead gas who are about 60 years old. I know them all and there is never any bother. Most in there are City. Jolly does get some gas in when they have a home match. Tend to drink there pre match and travel to the game. Not many though. Maypole is almost exclusively City. Cross Keys is virtually all red. Blue Bowl......not sure, shit food pub I avoid.

Gotta be said ......... Hanham is Red.

Did he get the piss ripped out of him ?

(for his "shirt", rather than his ginger hair)

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Not random local government made-up ones. For example, no one born in Midsomer Norton would say "I was born in BANES". Everyone would say "I was born in Somerset". If you travel from Horfield to Filton no one thinks "I'm leaving Bristol now". You are clearly in the same continuously built-up city. 

Boundaries change continuously. As I pointed out from the link I posted, Hanham was originally in Gloucestershire (as was most of what we now think of as the city of Bristol) but in 1891 it became part of Bristol only to transfer to another local government area (Kingswood) in the 20th century.

Various posters make reference "the city and county of Bristol" but there has been no such thing since 1972.  Only one city "Bristol" administered by two local authorities - BCC and SGDC.

Eventually, we might get a sensible solution as happened to the Manchester conurbation in 1974, where various diffuse boroughs and districts were all recognised as constituent parts of one authority "Greater Manchester". Until then we have the logistically daft 'one city, two local authorities' situation. Even the horror that was Avon made more sense.

The residents of Hanham, Kingswood, Filton etc can't vote for the mayor of Bristol to my knowledge, ergo they don't live in Bristol surely? 

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The residents of Hanham, Kingswood, Filton etc can't vote for the mayor of Bristol to my knowledge, ergo they don't live in Bristol surely? 

They don't live in the Bristol City Council area, but they do live in the metropolitan area of Bristol. 

I can't reiterate my arguments all over again about the transitory nature of local government boundaries as opposed to the actual organic nature of a joined-together urban conurbation. 

20 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

They don't live in the Bristol City Council area, but they do live in the metropolitan area of Bristol. 

I can't reiterate my arguments all over again about the transitory nature of local government boundaries as opposed to the actual organic nature of a joined-together urban conurbation. 

Ah, go on

2 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

That's surprising as it's only up the road from the mem so what's their stonghold mainly Easton, Horfield,Southmead and Brentry 

Barr’s Court, Cadbury Heath, Warmley are probably the real strongholds for that lot.

The rest is mixed or mainly City.

36 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Barr’s Court, Cadbury Heath, Warmley are probably the real strongholds for that lot.

The rest is mixed or mainly City.

Maybe Cadbury Heath, and Oldland, I doubt Warmley or Barrs Court. went to school 07-12 & The Grange was roughly 65% City then, let alone now. 

16 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Maybe Cadbury Heath, and Oldland, I doubt Warmley or Barrs Court. went to school 07-12 & The Grange was roughly 65% City then, let alone now. 

That's quite a way out for them! Who has bragging rights in posh Clifton assuming there are a few supporters there when their not polishing their porches or taking flying lessons ?

This talk of '65% City' in this region, and 'that area is mostly City' is starting to read like a thread where the fewers discuss their away following.

Let's get back to celebrating random acts of violence that occurred 40 years ago when innocent people were randomly clubbed round the head by a donkey-jacket wearing thickette carryng a UB40 card!

6 hours ago, Rob k said:

Pretty much al of North Bristol is red - i moved to Yate 12 years ago and that’s definitely more City than gas from what i see 

Whoever has the ’Yate’ flag, hats off to them. Every televised away match, it makes an appearance in prime position. Bloke must be some form of advertising executive with his blindingly brilliant product placement.  

Southmead is/was an interesting one. Always had a fearsome reputation for us wimps in WoT but (fortunately) appeared mainly City in the 70’s, along with Lawerence Weston. Then did not both go over to the dark side? What caused that? Even a once staunchly red Shirehampton seemed to turn blue in the 80’s. 

10 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Whoever has the ’Yate’ flag, hats off to them. Every televised away match, it makes an appearance in prime position. Bloke must be some form of advertising executive with his blindingly brilliant product placement.  

Southmead is/was an interesting one. Always had a fearsome reputation for us wimps in WoT but (fortunately) appeared mainly City in the 70’s, along with Lawerence Weston. Then did not both go over to the dark side? What caused that? Even a once staunchly red Shirehampton seemed to turn blue in the 80’s. 

did shire ever turn blue ………..did it ****  

always was 70/30 with proper geezers on both sides 

5 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

They seemed to bring a lot of nutters, that belgium team we played in a friendly, think maynard got a hat trick?

They were loud as you like, we played ajax, the year before or after, and the belgium lot brought loads more.

Royal Antwerp. 
After that game, a couple of city made good friends with a couple of Antwerp, who now come over to watch us quite regularly. 
Interestingly, Antwerp & Willem also have a friendship. 

Archived