IGNORED

It all kicked off in Bristol (Merged)

CyderInACan

13 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

This talk of '65% City' in this region, and 'that area is mostly City' is starting to read like a thread where the fewers discuss their away following.

Let's get back to celebrating random acts of violence that occurred 40 years ago when innocent people were randomly clubbed round the head by a donkey-jacket wearing thickette carryng a UB40 card!

Shhhh, I was enjoying the irony of it all :)

23 hours ago, Malaggro CNF said:

I have lived in Hanham for the past 12 years. I have to say that I think it is far more red than blue. A lot of the City lot that live over here are good 'lads' as well.

There really doesn't seem to be many young gas lads here at all. Maybe just poor unfortunates who are forced to be blue by vindictive relations.

As an example I took a kids football training session for a group of 12 year olds from AEK Boco. 14 kids turned up. 12 wearing City shirts, a plump boy in a Man Utd shirt and a ginger kid in a Rovers shirt (his dad is gas).

As for pubs, on Northern Soul nights up the Trooper you do get a small group of ex skinhead gas who are about 60 years old. I know them all and there is never any bother. Most in there are City. Jolly does get some gas in when they have a home match. Tend to drink there pre match and travel to the game. Not many though. Maypole is almost exclusively City. Cross Keys is virtually all red. Blue Bowl......not sure, shit food pub I avoid.

Gotta be said ......... Hanham is Red.

Nice Post Mal. What's your thoughts on North Brabant though ? ? 

On 22/05/2020 at 11:31, Galway Red said:

Yeovil had a Bath Post code!!!!!!! 

Post codes have never really been a good guide as to what town or city they are in. My work 'patch'  is worked out on post codes and there are loads of anomalies . One of my areas is the Shrewsbury post code which includes Aberystwyth,   a 2 hour drive away!

4 hours ago, Harry said:

Royal Antwerp. 
After that game, a couple of city made good friends with a couple of Antwerp, who now come over to watch us quite regularly. 
Interestingly, Antwerp & Willem also have a friendship. 

No trouble that day at all?

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Post codes have never really been a good guide as to what town or city they are in. My work 'patch'  is worked out on post codes and there are loads of anomalies . One of my areas is the Shrewsbury post code which includes Aberystwyth,   a 2 hour drive away!

I know, it`s daft. Half of North Cornwall has a Plymouth postcode (Port Isaac & Padstow for instance) - the Cornish love that as you can imagine - and bizarrely, Bude has a Exeter one!

17 hours ago, RedRock said:

Southmead is/was an interesting one. Always had a fearsome reputation for us wimps in WoT 

I used to almost live in Canford Park in my Primary school days, playing football dawn to dusk in the holidays.

Only problem was this massive gang of Meaders, aged probably about 10-13 (literally 70-80 strong) would come in and terrorize the place. One time my older brothers' friend - who apparently went on to be a vicar! - took on their leader in a proper scrap, gave a good account of himself, and they mostly left us alone after that.

In fact one evening we were still playing and they were streaming in along the top path when we saw 1 of them climb up one of the big trees and fall off, injuring himself quite badly. One of our lot ran to his nearby home to get his Dad (a doctor) who immediately came down, diagnosed a broken leg amongst other things, and organised an ambulance to get him to hospital.

After that, no more problems at all, in fact we were more or less mates!

29 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Antwerp were about bedminster early that day, Saw a double decker bus full of them early doors.

I recall when the arrived at the ashton road end entrance, they certainly put on a good show.

Proper fans.

Hell of a place too ?

On 22 May 2020 at 13:32, S25loyal said:Why is the UN more important than actual boundaries? 

In your eyes then no boundaries exist at all then?

What happens when Bradford and Leeds finally meet up, a new city called Braleeds?

I live in a lovely part of Leeds, however our neighborhood is closer to Bradford and consequently we do sometimes visit Brdford on a weekend. Despite our proximity in  being closer to Bradford city centre we are yet to see a single piece of Bradford City Merch, sad times IMHO.

8 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

I live in a lovely part of Leeds, however our neighborhood is closer to Bradford and consequently we do sometimes visit Brdford on a weekend. Despite our proximity in  being closer to Bradford city centre we are yet to see a single piece of Bradford City Merch, sad times IMHO.

I have only been to God's Own County on three occasions, but what memories:

1.) Elland Road, Leeds; that famous afternoon back in February 1974, in the middle of the coal miners' strike, when we beat the magnificent and hitherto unbeaten Leeds United 1-0 in a fifth round FA Cup replay. Yes, Mr Shankly, I am sure Leeds vs Liverpool would have made a cracking sixth round tie, but it wasn't to be. Thanks to the late Beryl Fudge, I was able, as a teenage schoolboy, to get tickets on a Supporters Club coach, and I remember very well my arrival in Leeds; our coach passed underneath lines of washing hanging out to dry between the houses in the streets leading to Elland Road and then, upon reaching the ground itself, we were met by hordes of screaming Leeds fans, many of whom were young boys my age, throwing stones and even spitting at the coach windows. The match itself seemed to pass by in a blur, but then came the return to our coach, running the gauntlet of angry, threatening and sometimes violent Leeds fans.  

2.) Valley Parade, Bradford, January 1989; a League Cup semi-final beckoned for the winners and Alan Walsh scored in the first minute! The following hour and a half before the final whistle confirmed an unlikely victory was as nail-biting and scary as anything I had experienced since the afore-mentioned Leeds match, and then came deja vu with the hair-raising walk back to our car and painstakingly slow drive out of Bradford.   

3.) Not football related, but I returned to Bradford with my girlfriend a few years later to meet up with a colleague one Sunday lunchtime and, driving through a street somewhere near the centre of town, we came across a dozen or so young Asian ladies, Indian or Pakistani, all heavily made up and wearing what, back then, was extremely revealing and provocative clothing for young ladies from this cultural background. I was quite surprised and, if I did not know better, I would swear they were 'on the game'.

4.) Finally, and this is certainly my warmest, most amusing and abiding memory of Yorkshire, we spent the Friday and Saturday nights prior to our trip to Bradford in a clean and charming bed and breakfast just a few hundred metres from York town centre. We did all the tourist bits, visited some lovely pubs and restaurants and sampled some wonderful local beers and meals. Our highlight, though, was our 'Full English Breakfast' on the Saturday morning. I had explained to my girlfriend, who is not English, what this entailed and we were both pleased to see the waitress arrive with our plates. To my girlfriend's horror, though, and much to my embarrassed amusement, she presented my girlfriend with a delicious looking breakfast and then presented me with mine, saying those immortal words, 'with two eggs for the gentleman'! To this day, my wife (for it were she) remains flabbergasted that, quite openly and without missing a beat, the 'sexist' waitress had served me with an extra egg, just because I was a man. I still laugh about this, some 30 years later.      

On 25/05/2020 at 02:00, PHILINFRANCE said:

I have only been to God's Own County on three occasions, but what memories:

1.) Elland Road, Leeds; that famous afternoon back in February 1974, in the middle of the coal miners' strike, when we beat the magnificent and hitherto unbeaten Leeds United 1-0 in a fifth round FA Cup replay. Yes, Mr Shankly, I am sure Leeds vs Liverpool would have made a cracking sixth round tie, but it wasn't to be. Thanks to the late Beryl Fudge, I was able, as a teenage schoolboy, to get tickets on a Supporters Club coach, and I remember very well my arrival in Leeds; our coach passed underneath lines of washing hanging out to dry between the houses in the streets leading to Elland Road and then, upon reaching the ground itself, we were met by hordes of screaming Leeds fans, many of whom were young boys my age, throwing stones and even spitting at the coach windows. The match itself seemed to pass by in a blur, but then came the return to our coach, running the gauntlet of angry, threatening and sometimes violent Leeds fans.  

2.) Valley Parade, Bradford, January 1989; a League Cup semi-final beckoned for the winners and Alan Walsh scored in the first minute! The following hour and a half before the final whistle confirmed an unlikely victory was as nail-biting and scary as anything I had experienced since the afore-mentioned Leeds match, and then came deja vu with the hair-raising walk back to our car and painstakingly slow drive out of Bradford.   

3.) Not football related, but I returned to Bradford with my girlfriend a few years later to meet up with a colleague one Sunday lunchtime and, driving through a street somewhere near the centre of town, we came across a dozen or so young Asian ladies, Indian or Pakistani, all heavily made up and wearing what, back then, was extremely revealing and provocative clothing for young ladies from this cultural background. I was quite surprised and, if I did not know better, I would swear they were 'on the game'.

4.) Finally, and this is certainly my warmest, most amusing and abiding memory of Yorkshire, we spent the Friday and Saturday nights prior to our trip to Bradford in a clean and charming bed and breakfast just a few hundred metres from York town centre. We did all the tourist bits, visited some lovely pubs and restaurants and sampled some wonderful local beers and meals. Our highlight, though, was our 'Full English Breakfast' on the Saturday morning. I had explained to my girlfriend, who is not English, what this entailed and we were both pleased to see the waitress arrive with our plates. To my girlfriend's horror, though, and much to my embarrassed amusement, she presented my girlfriend with a delicious looking breakfast and then presented me with mine, saying those immortal words, 'with two eggs for the gentleman'! To this day, my wife (for it were she) remains flabbergasted that, quite openly and without missing a beat, the 'sexist' waitress had served me with an extra egg, just because I was a man. I still laugh about this, some 30 years later.      

I wonder if younger City fans realise just how big a result that Leeds game was.

Leeds were the club of the moment and these were the days the FA Cup was taken seriously , there was no resting of players  and Leeds were a team full of internationals who were running away with the league while City were struggling. I know of a couple of Rovers fans who went to both games, because back then you didn't get many chances to see the best team in the land.

I remember being totally shocked ( and jealous) when the news filtered through of the result. It was a far bigger shock than when you beat Manchester United and I would argue one of the biggest games in your history.

2 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I wonder if younger City fans realise just how big a result that Leeds game was.

Leeds were the club of the moment and these were the days the FA Cup was taken seriously , there was no resting of players  and Leeds were a team full of internationals who were running away with the league while City were struggling. I know of a couple of Rovers fans who went to both games, because back then you didn't get many chances to see the best team in the land.

I remember being totally shocked ( and jealous) when the news filtered through of the result. It was a far bigger shock than when you beat Manchester United and I would argue one of the biggest games in your history.

Certainly one of our biggest games and, of course, I was ecstatic as a schoolboy for the reasons you mention, but I believe the draw with Coventry was of far more importance.

2 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Leeds were THE team back in those days, they were still unbeaten in the league at this stage and this was about mid March that's how good they were

2 hours ago, Galway Red said:

Leeds were THE team back in those days, they were still unbeaten in the league at this stage and this was about mid March that's how good they were

Runaway First Division leaders and 29 games unbeaten in all comps. as I remember, and they weren't the sort of team (or Revie the type of manager) to rest players or treat any game or opponent with anything but the utmost seriousness.

A supremely focused team of seasoned internationals with a win at all costs attitude - the epitome of hard bastards - they were an incredibly hard team to beat and the shock of City's victory reverberated around the country and rightly made the national TV news in the evening and the front page of the papers the next day.

I was at Elland Road as a 15 year old and have always put the achievement in beating that Leeds team far beyond the beating of Liverpool in the 90's or Man.Utd more recently.

On 25/05/2020 at 02:00, PHILINFRANCE said:

The excellent film Blinded By The Light, reveals what perfectly legal activity the young ladies were actually doing. 

39 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

The excellent film Blinded By The Light, reveals what perfectly legal activity the young ladies were actually doing. 

I liked the Manfred Mann song, but have never heard of the film - a quick Google search shows something about Bruce Springsteen.

Is this the correct film?

If so, I fail to make the connection between 'The Boss', the Pakistani family and the young, scantily dressed ladies I saw hanging around on the street corners in Bradford.

Have I got the wrong film or did I misunderstand totally the outline plot.

15 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I liked the Manfred Mann song, but have never heard of the film - a quick Google search shows something about Bruce Springsteen.

Is this the correct film?

If so, I fail to make the connection between 'The Boss', the Pakistani family and the young, scantily dressed ladies I saw hanging around on the street corners in Bradford.

Have I got the wrong film or did I misunderstand totally the outline plot.

Hi Phil,

The song was written by Bruce but the Manfreds had a hit with it.

A British film of the same name, released a year ago, and it's about 2 asians who get captivated by Bruce's lyrics. It is a great film and is a true story.

It is set in Luton, mid 80s. The film doesn't pull punches as to how bad racism was for the Asian community. However, teenage British asians, wanted to rebel. About this time, (not in the film) a young Bradford Asian iirc, wanted to play underground music that represented his culture. He came up with the idea  of hiring a nightclub but during the daytime, so that he could play his remixed music. The asian dance scene took off especially as other teenage girls knew they could dress up and wear make-up where their own parents wouldn' t dare go in. There is a such a scene as this in the film.

I therefore put it to the jury, that this is what you saw that day. Young British asians going to or from a Nightclub but during the day.

10 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Hi Phil,

The song was written by Bruce but the Manfreds had a hit with it.

A British film of the same name, released a year ago, and it's about 2 asians who get captivated by Bruce's lyrics. It is a great film and is a true story.

It is set in Luton, mid 80s. The film doesn't pull punches as to how bad racism was for the Asian community. However, teenage British asians, wanted to rebel. About this time, (not in the film) a young Bradford Asian iirc, wanted to play underground music that represented his culture. He came up with the idea  of hiring a nightclub but during the daytime, so that he could play his remixed music. The asian dance scene took off especially as other teenage girls knew they could dress up and wear make-up where their own parents wouldn' t dare go in. There is a such a scene as this in the film.

I therefore put it to the jury, that this is what you saw that day. Young British asians going to or from a Nightclub but during the day.

But we will never know

Archived