IGNORED

It all kicked off in Bristol (Merged)

CyderInACan

1 hour ago, Loon plage said:

Quite deliberate actually

What was deliberate..? The totally incorrect use of the English language, that doesn't give allowance for humour, pun, double entendres, or irony..?

I can't believe that it's anything more than a lack of knowledge and very unlikely to be "quite deliberate actually"

Unless you can elaborate and explain the thinking behind such a deliberate "error" 

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

What was deliberate..? The totally incorrect use of the English language, that doesn't give allowance for humour, pun, double entendres, or irony..?

I can't believe that it's anything more than a lack of knowledge and very unlikely to be "quite deliberate actually"

Unless you can elaborate and explain the thinking behind such a deliberate "error" 

Why not ask him to elaborate yourself ?

59 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Why not ask him to elaborate yourself ?

I was replying to your claim that it was a deliberate "mistake" 

I'm not even sure who's written the book, so it's no personal issue with them. It's just grammatically incorrect, which is an oversight on the front of a piece of published literature, however if that is deliberate and a subtle reference that has whooshed over my head, then all well and good. 

Perhaps you could enlighten us to the reasoning behind it, please..? 

7 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I was replying to your claim that it was a deliberate "mistake" 

I'm not even sure who's written the book, so it's no personal issue with them. It's just grammatically incorrect, which is an oversight on the front of a piece of published literature, however if that is deliberate and a subtle reference that has whooshed over my head, then all well and good. 

Perhaps you could enlighten us to the reasoning behind it, please..? 

Just telling you what he told me. I'm not his publicist mate so can't enlighten you.

Many moons ago I had a fascination with these "hooligan diairies", as embarrassed as I am to admit it now - read a slew of 'em, including the ones penned by those ludicrous Brimson brothers, the Soul Crew one, a Sheffield Utd one, Man Utd tales of the 70s and some others - I even saw a Rovers one at a bookshop once (Rovers have a hooligan element - surely not!!)

They all have several things in common:-

1. They "big up" the firm being written about, pay lip service to respecting other notorious firms (Millwall, West Ham, Brum, Cardiff I recall had a huge hooligan crush on Plymouth for some reason) and denigrate their rivals' mobs.

2. They contain uncorroborated tales of fighting that are unsurprisingly completely disputed by rival mobs (It was just me and  Mental Millicent - two Darlo against 50,000 Zulus, and we legged 'em)

3. They are written by semi-literate halfwits who fancy themselves as the Moss Side Shakespeare

4. The authors have a perverse belief that football hooliganism is all just a bit of a laugh, there's a code of a honour among these thugs, nobody really ever gets hurt - or if they do it's because of extenuating circumstances (someone brought a gun to a knife fight, or rather a Stanley to a fist fight; organisational incompetence by the authorities,over-zealous policing) and not due to the actions of the morons themselves, they are better people than "scarfers" and they have more in common with fellow knuckle-scrapers from their most detested rivals than they do with "scarfers" who support their own team

5. They consider all "Old bill" to be the lowest form of life possible and "fair game".

Absolute bog roll, every single one.

There was a book that I quite enjoyed, but it wasn't really about hooliganism - more the fashion and music that underpinned supporter culture. That was a fairly enjoyable read but I forget what it's called.

16 minutes ago, AzerbaijanApeman said:

Many moons ago I had a fascination with these "hooligan diairies", as embarrassed as I am to admit it now - read a slew of 'em, including the ones penned by those ludicrous Brimson brothers, the Soul Crew one, a Sheffield Utd one, Man Utd tales of the 70s and some others - I even saw a Rovers one at a bookshop once (Rovers have a hooligan element - surely not!!)

1. They "big up" the firm being written about, pay lip service to respecting other notorious firms (Millwall, West Ham, Brum, Cardiff I recall had a huge hooligan crush on Plymouth for some reason) and denigrate their rivals' mobs.

2. They contain uncorroborated tales of fighting that are unsurprisingly completely disputed by rival mobs (It was just me and  Mental Millicent - two Darlo against 50,000 Zulus, and we legged 'em)

3. They are written by semi-literate halfwits who fancy themselves as the Moss Side Shakespeare

4. The authors have a perverse belief that football hooliganism is all just a bit of a laugh, there's a code of a honour among these thugs, nobody really ever gets hurt - or if they do it's because of extenuating circumstances (someone brought a gun to a knife fight, or rather a Stanley to a fist fight; organisational incompetence by the authorities,over-zealous policing) and not due to the actions of the morons themselves, they are better people than "scarfers" and they have more in common with fellow knuckle-scrapers from their most detested rivals than they do with "scarfers" who support their own team

5. They consider all "Old bill" to be the lowest form of life possible and "fair game".

There was a book that I quite enjoyed, but it wasn't really about hooliganism - more the fashion and music that underpinned supporter culture. That was a fairly enjoyable read but I forget what it's called.

My family and other animals?

2 hours ago, AzerbaijanApeman said:

Condensed version. 

They shouted at a few blokes in the 70's and 80's, then watched a couple of Guy Ritchie films and wrote a 'book'.

5 hours ago, RumRed said:

Condensed version. 

They shouted at a few blokes in the 70's and 80's, then watched a couple of Guy Ritchie films and wrote a 'book'.

Well no.  Exaggerated and glamourised as these books are they were actually fighting each other at the time; many of the posts on this thread are an interesting read.

What I'm unclear about is whether it still goes on to any scale today. You get the odd scrap and vans having their windows put through but nothing above the level of Friday night fighting in a town centre.  The firm names still exist but whether they represent anything beyond a group of drinking mates who can handle themselves I don't know.

3 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Well no.  Exaggerated and glamourised as these books are they were actually fighting each other at the time; many of the posts on this thread are an interesting read.

What I'm unclear about is whether it still goes on to any scale today. You get the odd scrap and vans having their windows put through but nothing above the level of Friday night fighting in a town centre.  The firm names still exist but whether they represent anything beyond a group of drinking mates who can handle themselves I don't know.

About 8 years ago I knew an ex squaddy who was heavily involved in the Chelsea scene and regularly turned up to work on a monday with numerous injuries.  Most of his stuff sounded like it happened miles from the stadium and was pre arranged, not sure the football was anything to do with it, just a name to attach yourself to.

11 hours ago, AzerbaijanApeman said:

It was written by the Rovers semi illiterate half wit you refer to above.

2 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

I would rather a book get published by someone like PL who will tell it as it was (hopefully) as he was ITK, rather than someone who heard bits of the story and fabricates other bits just from hearsay comments. 

Agreed, however there have been lots of other incidents created under an umbrella of if you like CSF parties that will not even be known to most as they've happened by lads from outside the Bristol area, especially during the 90s. 

Anyway mate, that's not my reason, there's also the obvious unwanted attention that a book brings.

At least Pauls a proper lad, the rest of these books bar the Stoke one have been written by halfwit passengers as you say mostly from hearsay. The soul crew book by Tony Rivers has some complete and utter lies in it, it's pure fantasy and like every other book out there seems to forget the day that we came to town and had our day, :laugh:.

For all you knockers and people who are just plain ignorant.

The CSF is not just a hooligan group, it's a very loosely knit family, with a few father figures, like me in our 40's and a LOT of people that can be highly organised and bloody caring.

Illl give you an example, a very good friend of mine was arrested in France Euro 16, needless to say as many others were, defending himself against Marsailles firm & the Russians. I'm not saying anything about the incident or anything else, BUT a four figure sum has been raised for him, to which he was genuinely moved. 

So crack on with your snide comments, your skintight City shirt with witty nickname on, we are all supporters AFTERALL, But CSF 1984 is a FAMILY and we look after our own, including any innocents that get caught up away from home because they may meet a bunch of cowards that just don't the rules, trust me I've seen it.

Love to all that donated.

RIP DIVY.

5 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

The CSF is not just a hooligan group, it's a very loosely knit family, with a few father figures, like me in our 40's and a LOT of people that can be highly organised and bloody caring.

Illl give you an example, a very good friend of mine was arrested in France Euro 16, needless to say as many others were, defending himself against Marsailles firm & the Russians. I'm not saying anything about the incident or anything else, BUT a four figure sum has been raised for him, to which he was genuinely moved. 

So crack on with your snide comments, your skintight City shirt with witty nickname on, we are all supporters AFTERALL, But CSF 1984 is a FAMILY and we look after our own, including any innocents that get caught up away from home because they may meet a bunch of cowards that just don't the rules, trust me I've seen it.

RIP DIVY.

You could probably say much the same about ISIS, Al-Qaeda, the IRA etc.

It won't change peoples perspectives of football hooligans, nor mean they suddenly agree with what you do.  Nor are people ignorant if they don't like what you do, afterall it ruined football in the 70's and 80's.

8 minutes ago, JM91 said:

You could probably say much the same about ISIS, Al-Qaeda, the IRA etc.

It won't change peoples perspectives of football hooligans, nor mean they suddenly agree with what you do.  Nor are people ignorant if they don't like what you do, afterall it ruined football in the 70's and 80's.

So you are comparing CSF with terrorist groups now ? what a belter.

People have every right to detest football hooligans and I accept that they were a negative force in the 70's and 90's but please have a look at your perspectives.......

7 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

RIP DIVY.

I grew up on the terraces in the 70's and 80's and loved every minute of it, it will be interesting to see if there is as much "fiction" in this book as most other books of the same ilk, not sure that i would compare the CSF with that other hard-core firm at the time, the I.R.A. !!!!

2 hours ago, Loon plage said:

So you are comparing CSF with terrorist groups now ? what a belter.

People have every right to detest football hooligans and I accept that they were a negative force in the 70's and 90's but please have a look at your perspectives.......

Do you really think he was comparing the two or was he merely pointing out just how ridiculous your post was?

You ruin many people's enjoyment of football for your own selfish purposes, you embarrass us all with your pathetic posturing, you drag the name of the club you claim to support through the mud, but that's all ok because you care about each other and 'look after your own'?

Also, what exactly is ignorant about condemning violence?

I'll be getting a copy, no doubt about that

I've read all the Brimson books, and I can completely understand why people don't want to read them. I'm sure there is a degree of poetic licence used, if people were as pissed, smacked up, coked up as they say they were then surely certain parts are open to interpretation. If you don't want to read it, don't bother, but it's part of football's history. Thankfully we don't see it on the same scale today, yet most of us moan about how watching a game of football has become sterile. Groups of lads like the CSF contributed to the atmosphere, and I thank them for it

It's been mentioned on here a few times about the games with the best atmosphere - Charlton at home FA Cup 5th round, the year we had beaten Liverpool. Rumours of Chelsea / Millwall / West Ham fans had travelled with the, rather large, Charlton following. It was just an angry place to be, from memory it was a pretty dank day, the game was end to end (?), plenty of tackles flying in, it felt like it could explode any minute. It was brilliant. I don't remember anything happening in the ground, but I'm sure plenty happened in and around the stadium for those who wanted it

All that being said, now I take my daughters along I'm quite happy with sterile, but as a young 'un I loved it

Archived