IGNORED

It all kicked off in Bristol (Merged)

CyderInACan

3 hours ago, Woodsy said:

I wouldn't waste your breath!

Threads like these always turn into these slanging matches, you either 'get it', or you don't. I've never been involved, but I 'get it', I want to read the book. It's so ******* easy to ignore if you aren't interested

Our lads are flying on the pitch, and we're bitching at each other like 14 year old girls (I know, I have one of those) on a thread about a bygone era

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

18 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

To a point I agree with you, but if you think back to to the opening postings and the two book covers that were posted, both with numerous typographical errors, you can understand why people might doubt the literary merit of the book.

Hang on a minute, so now a book that hasn’t even been released yet is being judged on literary merits!? If so, fine, but, guess what, a book about hooliganism is never going to rival the complete works of Tolstoy – if you’re expecting it to do so, then you’re either rather naïve or, once more, a bit dim. Maybe it would help to view this book for what it is – a recollection about a specific era in time by someone qualified to write about some very intense experiences following his team.

Look upon it as a glimpse into an alien world and, possibly, into the mindset of the chaps who found themselves doing something you wouldn’t dream of - and to hell with grammar. 

Whether you like it or not, the CSF are as much a part of the history of Bristol City as Coach 1 of CATS is – and believe me, I would be just as interested to hear the memories of a veteran of Coach 1!

It’s ultimately ironic that all those who criticize this book, have never actually been published themselves. There’s nothing stopping you writing a book about your times with City. Do it. If you don’t like the book about the CSF, write about your own experiences with the City. I will even buy you the pen to do so.

On a final note, the negativity and sense of superiority some City show to others is embarrassing. Good luck to PL with this, good luck to a City lad who has clearly done and been to places many of us haven’t - that in itself  makes this a pretty fascinating work.

COYR

Hooliganism and firms existed through the 70's - 80's wether you like that fact or not. They still do but to a much lesser extent.

All the stuff about 'not attacking scarfers' was absolute bollocks, so I'll be reading this book - it will represent a huge part of my life following City.

And I can honestly say that I owe my health to some of the CSF lads who absolutely saved my life from being destroyed at Aldershot after the carnage that went on down there.

I knew some of them, and they were decent blokes who lived and breathed football - and defended the east end at all costs.

And probably stopped some of you guys moaning getting a kicking without you even knowing.

Unless you attended City games home and away from the mid 1970's to 1990 ish, then you really have no right to comment on what these guys did.

Do I support it now - no.

But things were so, so different back then.

The darts weren't  a myth.

The bags of piss weren't a myth

The Stanley knives weren't a myth

The bricks weren't a myth

And the literally 3-500 strong opposition firms weren't a fking myth either.

These were indeed bad old days, and to comment without being there first hand is something you are not entitled to do.

1 hour ago, poland_exile said:

Hang on a minute, so now a book that hasn’t even been released yet is being judged on literary merits!? If so, fine, but, guess what, a book about hooliganism is never going to rival the complete works of Tolstoy – if you’re expecting it to do so, then you’re either rather naïve or, once more, a bit dim. Maybe it would help to view this book for what it is – a recollection about a specific era in time by someone qualified to write about some very intense experiences following his team.

Look upon it as a glimpse into an alien world and, possibly, into the mindset of the chaps who found themselves doing something you wouldn’t dream of - and to hell with grammar. 

Whether you like it or not, the CSF are as much a part of the history of Bristol City as Coach 1 of CATS is – and believe me, I would be just as interested to hear the memories of a veteran of Coach 1!

It’s ultimately ironic that all those who criticize this book, have never actually been published themselves. There’s nothing stopping you writing a book about your times with City. Do it. If you don’t like the book about the CSF, write about your own experiences with the City. I will even buy you the pen to do so.

On a final note, the negativity and sense of superiority some City show to others is embarrassing. Good luck to PL with this, good luck to a City lad who has clearly done and been to places many of us haven’t - that in itself  makes this a pretty fascinating work.

COYR

And the award for missing the point of what was being said goes to..... poland_exile

You are the only one drawing a conparison to another author.

If the author of this book cannot even be arsed to get the word "you're" right on the bloody cover of the book, then that should be criticised.

You do not need to have written a book yourself to point out such a thing.

If someone suggests a book to you and you aren't sure if you want to buy it, so you have a look in a shop, would you want one that can't get BASIC English right?

I wouldn't and I'd say it would be rather naive or "a bit dim" of someone to do so.

With regards to the subject, it's a book where I'd likely be in the situation above. I'd have a flick through in the shop and if it made a good impression on me, then I might buy.

But laziness with getting basic things right when writing a book is no excuse at all- whatever the subject matter is, and would leave me putting the book down and getting something else.

6 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

And the award for missing the point of what was being said goes to..... poland_exile

If the author of this book cannot even be arsed to get the word "you're" right on the bloody cover of the book, then that should be criticised.

If someone suggests a book to you and you aren't sure if you want to buy it, so you have a look in a shop, would you want one that can't get BASIC English right?

I wouldn't and I'd say it would be rather naive or "a bit dim" of someone to do so.

With regards to the subject, it's a book where I'd likely be in the situation above. I'd have a flick through in the shop and if it made a good impression on me, then I might buy.

But laziness with getting basic things right when writing a book is no excuse at all- whatever the subject matter is, and would leave me putting the book down and getting something else.

Thanks @JamesBCFC you've saved me 5 minutes.

Possibly 10; after all I am a bit 'dim'.

22 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not something I've ever been involved with, but I've been damn glad over the years that there were City 'lads' willing to stand their ground - in fact more than willing to - between us 'ordinary' City fans and mobs of opposition fans apparently hell bent on kicking us all into next week.

This.....you don't have to be involved with the CSF to 'appreciate' or 'value' them whether you like them or not. Birmingham away in the 89/90 season when we battered them 4-0, that was my first experience of the CSF, hundreds of 'em at the back of the stand, stood for the entire game - and you knew you be 'alright' because if it kicked off (and it did..) they'd be in there first.

I for one will be buying the book from a general interest & intrigue point of view, as well as the recall of stories and 'lad culture', thinking 'was i there for that game? Did i see anything?'.

7 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Just a couple of points.
While the author writes the book the publishing house , Fort in this case , would have an editor/proof reader check it including any potential cover. The ones doing the rounds , and I'm guessing as I don't know for sure, are mock up's and trials just to give an idea until the final one was decided on. While it was a mistake on the first cover I don't see it as lazy, bit slap dash and maybe could have been picked up earlier though. Just think of how many posts on here have obvious grammatical errors , mine are full of them.
As for the book itself, I'll get it. I was going to football during the 70's and 80's and probably would have been at some of the games that will be mentioned, will be interesting to see if I remember it the same and what I missed or avoided. 
If people hate the violence that's fine, it's not nice to get attacked or treated when you're minding your own business, but it happened. The 70's and 80's were a different planet compared to now, but it happened. It's been said before , if you don't like the subject or have no interest don't buy it .
It will be an interesting read I'm sure. 

20 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Just a couple of points.
While the author writes the book the publishing house , Fort in this case , would have an editor/proof reader check it including any potential cover. The ones doing the rounds , and I'm guessing as I don't know for sure, are mock up's and trials just to give an idea until the final one was decided on. While it was a mistake on the first cover I don't see it as lazy, bit slap dash and maybe could have been picked up earlier though. Just think of how many posts on here have obvious grammatical errors , mine are full of them.
As for the book itself, I'll get it. I was going to football during the 70's and 80's and probably would have been at some of the games that will be mentioned, will be interesting to see if I remember it the same and what I missed or avoided. 
If people hate the violence that's fine, it's not nice to get attacked or treated when you're minding your own business, but it happened. The 70's and 80's were a different planet compared to now, but it happened. It's been said before , if you don't like the subject or have no interest don't buy it .
It will be an interesting read I'm sure. 

I haven't made any comment on the subject matter of the book.

Yes, there would be editors and proof readers, which makes the mistake on the cover even worse- are they inept or do they just not care at all?

Even for a mock up enough people should have seen the proposed cover, so why didn't anyone say anything?

As for grammar on here, I have acknowledged that already, and mine isn't perfect at all.

But I'm not making you pay to read what I am posting. 

3 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I haven't made any comment on the subject matter of the book.

Yes, there would be editors and proof readers, which makes the mistake on the cover even worse- are they inept or do they just not care at all?

Even for a mock up enough people should have seen the proposed cover, so why didn't anyone say anything?

As for grammar on here, I have acknowledged that already, and mine isn't perfect at all.

But I'm not making you pay to read what I am posting. 

My line on the book itself was a general one, not aimed at you. My point being , I'm not sure the cover mock up's were ever intended for use. The idea and photo maybe but even the title changed so , as I said , I would guess this was testing the water. It would have gone to the publisher for a final yes or no which is when any errors would have been flagged and changes made. I doubt very much that Fort Publishing Ltd would have let that mistake hit the shelves. 

1 hour ago, BanburyRed said:

This.....you don't have to be involved with the CSF to 'appreciate' or 'value' them whether you like them or not. Birmingham away in the 89/90 season when we battered them 4-0, that was my first experience of the CSF, hundreds of 'em at the back of the stand, stood for the entire game - and you knew you be 'alright' because if it kicked off (and it did..) they'd be in there first.

I for one will be buying the book from a general interest & intrigue point of view, as well as the recall of stories and 'lad culture', thinking 'was i there for that game? Did i see anything?'.

Yep it was carnage at that Brum game - and all City fans 'stood for the entire game' that day because we were on terracing...

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep it was carnage at that Brum game - and all City fans 'stood for the entire game' that day because we were on terracing...

I remember being in a stand...not terracing...but then again, i'm old now and my grey matter ain't what it used to be!

Can remember going to a Bournemouth away game with a mate mid 80s (Dean Court). Nice day out at the seaside I thought? Well it was one of my 1st away games following BCFC. Not quite sure what to expect.

Remember thinking this is a bit of a laugh as we chased these Bournemouth lads across the cricket pitch outside the ground (think they were actually playing cricket at the time). We had a big following that day.

Think this was the game when certain BCFC lads started to rip up the old wooden seats in the old stand at the side of the pitch. OB came in to try and stop it, all went off with OB as quite frankly Bournemouth were not really in our league in those days. The atmosphere in these old style grounds was absolutely deafening and think there was only circa 10,000 at the match, different today.

I can remember like it was yesterday, this guy throwing this 2 foot splinter of seating onto the pitch and it stuck in the grass point 1st (perfect throw), next to a copper.

The WDP got hold of the story as there reporters were following us at certain away days for stories at the time - the picture of the splinter of wood stuck in the ground hit the pages Monday am with headline of "City fans bring mayhem to the seaside" or something of this nature, my memory is pretty f#cked nowadays!!

Great day out though!

Lots of stories to tell ref Birmingham away/home, Notts Forest away, Millwall home/away, Aldershot away, Rovers away, Bolton away, Watford home, Chelsea home and many others but will let the book do it's job.

56 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

Can remember going to a Bournemouth away game with a mate mid 80s (Dean Court). Nice day out at the seaside I thought? Well it was one of my 1st away games following BCFC. Not quite sure what to expect.

Remember thinking this is a bit of a laugh as we chased these Bournemouth lads across the cricket pitch outside the ground (think they were actually playing cricket at the time). We had a big following that day.

Think this was the game when certain BCFC lads started to rip up the old wooden seats in the old stand at the side of the pitch. OB came in to try and stop it, all went off with OB as quite frankly Bournemouth were not really in our league in those days. The atmosphere in these old style grounds was absolutely deafening and think there was only circa 10,000 at the match, different today.

I can remember like it was yesterday, this guy throwing this 2 foot splinter of seating onto the pitch and it stuck in the grass point 1st (perfect throw), next to a copper.

The WDP got hold of the story as there reporters were following us at certain away days for stories at the time - the picture of the splinter of wood stuck in the ground hit the pages Monday am with headline of "City fans bring mayhem to the seaside" or something of this nature, my memory is pretty f#cked nowadays!!

Great day out though!

Lots of stories to tell ref Birmingham away/home, Notts Forest away, Millwall home/away, Aldershot away, Rovers away, Bolton away, Watford home, Chelsea home and many others but will let the book do it's job.

Was there it was like the ducky boys appearing around the side of the pitch against the wanderers.

1 hour ago, GasDestroyer said:

Great day out though!

somebody was on crutches Hopping across the cricket ground IIRC

:laughcont:

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

somebody was on crutches Hopping across the cricket ground IIRC

:laughcont:

Yes you were chasing the Bournemouth mob with us Super Bob!!! I was not going to mention that!

You claimed you had a sprained ankle, but we all thought you were going to the game "tooled up" with crutches!!!

RM from Bath did the whole day with no money - jumped the trains from Bath, stole a load of booze from an offie in Bournemouth, got in over/through the turnstiles (without being nicked), stole a load more booze post match from the same offie, and got home on the choo choo with no ticket - unbelievable.

But thinking about it, he did this often! 

Not sure if that was when we 1st met? Good days!

23 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

Yes you were chasing the Bournemouth mob with us Super Bob!!! I was not going to mention that!

You claimed you had a sprained ankle, but we all thought you were going to the game "tooled up" with crutches!!!

RM from Bath did the whole day with no money - jumped the trains from Bath, stole a load of booze from an offie in Bournemouth, got in over/through the turnstiles (without being nicked), stole a load more booze post match from the same offie, and got home on the choo choo with no ticket - unbelievable.

Me ?

:no:

:innocent06:

Just the  'usual Saturday' for him then !  

as you say unbelievable !

:bonkers:

Not sure if it was the same game, I remember loads running after Bournemouth with a bowls game going on in the middle and they didn't seen to miss a beat, just kept playing. I remember the wood incident. Used to be a good day out at Bournemouth.

7 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

Yes didn'tere chasing the Bournemouth mob  with us Super Bob!!! I was not going to mention that!

I know RM well and you are right he didnt like to spend any money

I know him very well also Weepywall.

Went away with him for many years. He got nicked, banged up for a stretch at the Reading riot. Craziest day I knew at football, apart from a few England away games.

He used to get on the "billy whizz" and was usually pissed. Not sure how he is still alive actually.

In Thailand currently :laugh:.

That Bournemouth away day was mental, far too much cider consumed and my mate got arrested, detained and convicted. Personally I never ever got involved in any of the violence myself, nor did I want to, but it was thrilling to be there and watch it all going off at close quarters, as it so often did back then. I think most fans felt the same at the time, whether or not they would care to admit it now.

Thankfully it's all largely in the past, the world is a different place and I imagine most of us are glad about that. But it happened, they were lively times, and I don't see any problem with recounting the events for those who want to read about it.

Right, I'm off to watch Quadrophenia.

On ‎23‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 11:44, GasDestroyer said:

Great day out though!

It was part of what were benches nailed into joists with huge nails. It started with they will never get that up which underestimated the industry and focus being dedicated to the task. It shows how football has evolved that the sight of fans swinging on thick benches till they snapped was not greeted with condemnation and jeers, the vandals were encouraged and urged on by the majority in the stand.

Its third person now, but that was football and the violence for many was also entertainment as voyeurs rather than participants.

This whole incident with the wooden stake and unhappy linesman was proof positive that photos CAN lie....or at least mislead. When the evil post printed the story it had a photo of said Lino holding the offending article aloft and behind him were four jeering oafs with their outstretched arms pointing in an incriminating manner in the poor fellas direction......apparently it was an open and shut case as far as my missus was concerned !

Archived