Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

CyderInACan

It all kicked off in Bristol (Merged)

1 hour ago, GasDestroyer said:

Remember going to Stockport away immediately after the Reading riot and it felt like the whole of Manchester “turned out” with a welcoming committee as Bristol City were high profile in the press the week before. 

We used to stop off at Ashby de la Zouch on the way home - they used to dread Bristol City playing up North! Became a regular “pull in” on the way home with the lot I went with.

Remember that, fairly certain Man City had a few about that day

6 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I grew up with Paul Weller, Joe Strummer, John Lydon, Sid Vicious, Hugh Cornwell, Pete Shelley, Feargal Sharkey, Captain Sensible etc...

Blimey. Yes, yes, yes. Fortunate to see all of those play live except for Sid. Matlock played Bass when I saw The Pistols.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, weepywall said:

Remember that, fairly certain Man City had a few about that day

Correct Weepy, those were days before I knew you mate! Hope you are keeping well? 

You’re each other’s heroes, but no-one else’s. Bunch of whoppers. If you’d had a set back in the ‘good old days’ you’d have been yomping up Tumbledown with real men instead of chasing scared schoolboys around Bedminster :facepalm:

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Red Grovesy said:

Blimey. Yes, yes, yes. Fortunate to see all of those play live except for Sid. Matlock played Bass when I saw The Pistols.

Always liked the Undertones - what a band they were live! Paul Weller was good also!

We were so lucky to have lived through and enjoyed all the great music at the time. Still sounds good today.

Saw The Selector at the Colston Hall 2 years ago and they are still really good live! Great music.

Edited by GasDestroyer
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Oops said:

You’re each other’s heroes, but no-one else’s. Bunch of whoppers. If you’d had a set back in the ‘good old days’ you’d have been yomping up Tumbledown with real men instead of chasing scared schoolboys around Bedminster :facepalm:

It sounds good when you say it, but it's not entirely true. many 'real men' from the forces have also got involved in the darker side of football.  

14 minutes ago, Oops said:

Plenty of squaddies did both to be fair Oops.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Who said I wanted to, or even did go to football to kick F U ck out of people. Is this another attempt (failed) to belittle someone?    You've taken my questioning of your tactics and assumed (wrongly) that I was advocating violence at football. Methinks an apology is in order.

If you're not trying to justify hooliganism then that's fine, not a problem to offer an apology. I lose track on here of who's "retired" or whatever. 

I'm not trying to belittle anyone as it goes. I just don't see any justification for it, no matter what decade it was, what music you liked, what clothes you wore etc etc 

45 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

If you're not trying to justify hooliganism then that's fine, not a problem to offer an apology. I lose track on here of who's "retired" or whatever. 

I'm not trying to belittle anyone as it goes. I just don't see any justification for it, no matter what decade it was, what music you liked, what clothes you wore etc etc 

Whether you can find justification in what went on is immaterial to the facts of the era. I think 95% of people posting on here from that era also think that being a football hoolie was a complete waste of time and effort and that violence was just a futile pursuit.  What is also being lost in this thread is that the violence of the era was down entirely to football because it wasn't. The music you liked would single you out. The clothes you wore would single you out.  Your haircut would single you out. . Mods & Rockers didn't riot in Brighton over football. That's how it was and nothing will change how things were despite what your opinion is on an era before your time. I might add you are entitled to your opinion but for it to be balanced you need to have experienced the period of time in question. As previously mentioned I decided to leave the Uk aged 16 because the chance of getting a decent career was close to zero. If lucky I would have started work for ICI in Avonmouth ............... no ta. There were no such things like recruitment agencies. CV's were a Citroen car. The country was in a depression and strikes were common place. Have you experienced power cuts lasting from 8 - 12 hours on a daily basis ?  Who remembers the Green Goddesses on the streets during the Firemans strike. Whether you can justify the social problems of the time really does not come into it. I've said it before and I'll say it again ................. it was what it was.  I'm not condoning it because believe me I am not in the same way I do not condone violence of any form today (football or otherwise).

Edited by BigTone
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, citytop22 said:

Should start a whole new thread about Ashby De La Zouch on a Saturday night on the way back from City games, manic at best and of course many friendly meetings with the Leicester boys

The Shoulder of Mutton?

Can remember some fun evenings in Ashby!!

Ref Ashby.

Remember us having a big row with what I think were some Notts Forest lot one night. Can’t remember the detail precisely because I was quite literally out of it! 

Had been to some game somewhere that day on an MB or O private coach (those ITK will know who I am on about, some of “Bristols Finest” from KW, Barton Hill, Taunton and other parts of south Bristol). There was about 40-50 of us stopped off and bingo, off walk a load of Forest also (think it was Forest). The place went right up! I think some of the Leicester lot arranged it? 

Can’t remember the name of the pub but there was not a lot left after that one! The same pub was done over again by City fans a year or two later if I remember right?

What I liked about the football away days then, was also the close camaraderie we had because as stated, it was a dangerous hobby - away days. But great memories.

Ashby en-route to the Notts Forest semi final. Superb. Great old pubs and ideal parking.

If a town was ever designed as a stopping-off place for football fans Ashby would be it. 

18 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Ashby en-route to the Notts Forest semi final. Superb. Great old pubs and ideal parking.

If a town was ever designed as a stopping-off place for football fans Ashby would be it. 

Like Long Ashton for the long trip home from AG to Nailsea

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Portred said:

The story of skinhead

on bbc4 right now. May be of interest to some. 

A must watch for some of the younger lot who can’t understand what life was like back then. Looks bloody grim now 

12 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

So, Skinhead: to start with, something fairly positive/enjoyable/legal/harmless, broadly speaking; before being hijacked/ infiltrated by angry white males who think it's all about them thus spoiling it for the majority and then driving it underground where a nasty subculture for "like-minded" sorts festers. And then later still, enjoying something of a renaissance of sorts, where middle-aged white males reminisce about the good old "glory days."

Sound familiar?

• Like 4

Blimey, that picture brings back some memories. Think I've got the album in the loft.

I'll have to try and watch the programme now it's wetted my whistle.

46 minutes ago, freezer said:

Blimey, that picture brings back some memories. Think I've got the album in the loft.

I'll have to try and watch the programme now it's wetted my whistle.

I also recognised the picture, but couldn't recall whether it was from a book or an album.

Please refresh my memory.

8 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Just watched it, was an excellent programme, thanks for the heads up mate :yes:

Watched it also. That programme sums up why FV was part of football culture.really well. Recommend the young uns who don’t understand watch it also as everything some of us have posted in this thread is in the programme.

On a side note, I saw Pauline Black and The Selector, and if you get the chance go and watch them because they are excellent live still. She still has a fab voice live plus there music helped define the 80s for me!

I loved my highly polished, cherry 10 hole DMs 

Edited by GasDestroyer

9 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I also recognised the picture, but couldn't recall whether it was from a book or an album.

Please refresh my memory.

The album is Skinhead Moonstomp and the band is/was Symarip. Proper old school reggae.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

Skinhead Moonstomp by the Specials - what a song!

There is a live video on YouTube somewhere if someone knows how to post YouTube links on here.

From 1:23 here...

• Like 2

Forget the lead singer black guy’s name in The Specials but pretty sure he died young. They were superb! Thanks for posting BS4.

Like the way they encourage the crowd to join them on the stage. Note the fashion styles!

My favourite video on YouTube!

Edited by GasDestroyer

7 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

Forget the lead singer black guy’s name in The Specials but pretty sure he died young. They were superb! Thanks for posting BS4.

Like the way they encourage the crowd to join them on the stage. Note the fashion styles!

Neville Staples & Lynval Golding were the two guys in The Specials and are both happily still with us. I saw the Neville Staples Band last year down in Looe as it goes, they were excellent.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Neville Staples & Lynval Golding were the two guys in The Specials and are both happily still with us. I saw the Neville Staples Band last year down in Looe as it goes, they were excellent.

Thanks for that, RRH

1 hour ago, GasDestroyer said:

Saw the Specials at Bristol Locarno in ( roughly!) 1981, at one point there was more of the crowd on the stage than in the arena!!

• Like 2

I'm going out tonight
I don't know if I'll be alright
Everyone want's to hurt me
Baby danger in the city
I have to carry a knife
Because there's people threatening my life
I can't dress just the way I want
I'm being chased by the national front
Concrete jungle, animals are after me
Concrete jungle, it ain't safe on the streets
Concrete jungle, glad I got my mates with me
I won't fight for a cause
don't want to change the law
Leave me alone, just leave me alone
I want to get out on my own
I'm walking home tonight
I only walk where there's lots of lights
In the alleys and the doorways
Some throw a bottle right in your face
Concrete jungle, animals are after me
Concrete jungle, it ain't safe on the streets
Concrete jungle,
  • Like 2

We should start an OTIB Old School music thread! Music defined football in the 80s! You only have to read RedLionLad’s lyrics from Concrete Jungle.  Ghost Town was exactly the same. Inner city Britain was badly run down 

This town, is coming like a ghost town
All the clubs have been closed down
This place, is coming like a ghost town
Bands won't play no more
too much fighting on the dance floor

Do you remember the good old days
Before the ghost town?
We danced and sang,
And the music played inna de boomtown

Why must the youth fight against themselves?
Government leaving the youth on the shelf
No job to be found in this country
Can't go on no more
The people getting angry

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

We should start an OTIB Old School music thread! Music defined football in the 80s! You only have to read RedLionLad’s lyrics from Concrete Jungle.  Ghost Town was exactly the same. Inner city Britain was badly run down 

All the clubs have been closed down
Bands won't play no more
too much fighting on the dance floor

Do you remember the good old days
Before the ghost town?
We danced and sang,
And the music played inna de boomtown

Why must the youth fight against themselves?
Government leaving the youth on the shelf
No job to be found in this country
Can't go on no more
The people getting angry

Rat Race by the Specials is equally brilliant imv:

You're working at your leisure to learn the things you'll need 
The promises you make tomorrow will carry no guarantee 
I've seen your qualifications, you've got a Ph.D. 
I've got one art O level, it did nothing for me
Working for the rat race 
You know you're wasting your time 
Working for the rat race 
You're no friend of mine
You plan your conversation to impress the college bar 
Just talking about your Mother and Daddy's Jaguar 
Wear your political T-shirt and sacred college scarf 
Discussing the worlds situation but just for a laugh
You'll be working for the rat race 
Working for the rat race 
You're no friend of mine
Working for the rat race 
Working for the rat race 
You're no friend of mine
Just working at your leisure to learn the things you don't need 
The promises you make tomorrow will carry no guarantee 
I've seen your qualifications, you've got a Ph.D. 
I've got one art O level, it did nothing for me
Working for the rat race 
You're working for the rat race 
You're no friend of mine
  • Like 3

This sums it up for me.......

"Down In The Tube Station At Midnight"

The distant echo -
of faraway voices boarding faraway trains
To take them home to
the ones that they love and who love them forever
The glazed, dirty steps - repeat my own and reflect my thoughts
Cold and uninviting, partially naked
Except for toffee wrapers and this morning's papers
Mr. Jones got run down
Headlines of death and sorrow - they tell of tomorrow
Madmen on the rampage
And I'm down in the tube station at midnight

I fumble for change - and pull out the Queen
Smiling, beguiling
I put in the money and pull out a plum
Behind me
Whispers in the shadows - gruff blazing voices
Hating, waiting
"Hey boy" they shout "have you got any money?"
And I said "I've a little money and a take away curry,
I'm on my way home to my wife.
She'll be lining up the cutlery,
You know she's expecting me
Polishing the glasses and pulling out the cork"

I first felt a fist, and then a kick
I could now smell their breath
They smelt of pubs and Wormwood Scrubs
And too many right wing meetings
My life swam around me
It took a look and drowned me in its own existence
The smell of brown leather
It blended in with the weather
It filled my eyes, ears, nose and mouth
It blocked all my senses
Couldn't see, hear, speak any longer
I said I was down in the tube station at midnight

The last thing that I saw
As I lay there on the floor
Was "Jesus Saves" painted by an atheist nutter
And a British Rail poster read "Have an Awayday - a cheap holiday -
Do it today!"
I glanced back on my life
And thought about my wife
'Cause they took the keys - and she'll think it's me
The wine will be flat and the curry's gone cold
I'm down in the tube station at midnight
Don't want to go down in a tube station at midnight
  • Like 4

Went to leeds i think in 72 when the miners were striking to watch the facup replay.When our coach turned into the ground it was attacked by a mob of savage leeds fans,but the driver managed to park up,thinking this was a rough place me and my mate decided to go in the stand for safety.We sat in the front of the stand with our city scarves on(big mistake) only to be attacked by      aprox 50 leeds fans who were on the terracing below us.we kicked and punched numerous leeds fans as they tried to scale the wall up .to the stand.After we got the better of them we retreated to a bar in the leeds stand.Watched a great game and city won 1-0, got chased by what seemed hundreds of leeds fans back to the coach after the game,what an experience to watch a game of football.

This should be a stickie MODS!

Sh*t - that was another music defined era. We were so lucky to have lived all this music. 

Edited by GasDestroyer

1 hour ago, RedKatieScarlett said:

STOP! I can’t play my CDs fast enough- still on The Specials!! To sum up this thread.... the music was fab the violence was not!!!

Spot on 

Specials were Coventry.

These WERE Bristol City.

Down the town it's Friday night
See a band get in a fight
Flash of steel, end of fun
Growing up has just begun

More young blood, every night, ok
Life down the drain
Isn't it a shame
Spilt in the streets
More young blood, every night

Down to football here we go
Tried to find last years foe
They live behind a different scarf
So we fight them for a laugh

Life down the drain
Isn't it a shame

Vice Squad

• Like 7

2 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

This should be a stickie MODS!

Sh*t - that was another music defined era. We were so lucky to have lived all this music. 

Kinell, too much quality music from that time period.

Cut My Hair, 5:15, Pinball Wizard, Real Me, Going Underground, Eton Rifles, Down in the Tube Station at Midnight, Desdemona, Midsummer Night Scene

Didn't live through it but always been obsessed with it. Even Pink Floyd were doing their best shit at that time, golden era really.

• Like 2

Saw them all. 

The most Mayhem. The Clash

biggest punch up. Souixsie and the banshees (Robert smith on guitar)

best band The Jam

best musicians. The Stranglers 

best visuals Orchestral Manouvers pre OMD

biggest influence Joy Division

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Kinell, too much quality music from that time period.

Cut My Hair, 5:15, Pinball Wizard, Real Me, Going Underground, Eton Rifles, Down in the Tube Station at Midnight, Desdemona, Midsummer Night Scene

Didn't live through it but always been obsessed with it. Even Pink Floyd were doing their best shit at that time, golden era really.

Dr Feelgood, SAHB, Roxy, Bowie, The Who, Mott, Bob Marley & so many more.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, BigTone said:

Dr Feelgood, SAHB, Roxy, Bowie, The Who, Mott, Bob Marley & so many more.

Honestly almost all of it was brilliant. Can look back on it with their albums now but to have been able to see the Who in their pomp would've been amazing.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Honestly almost all of it was brilliant. Can look back on it with their albums now but to have been able to see the Who in their pomp would've been amazing.

Saw them at Empire Pool Wembley with Keith Moon on drums......just brilliant. The crowd calling for them to do Bellboy and next minute Moon sending drum kit in all directions in his haste to tell everyone to **** off.  Saw Roxy at same venue a few days later and a further 24 times since. Mr Bowie at Colston Hall in his Ziggy Stardust days and again in Adelaide for his Stage tour. Mott the Hoople with Queen as support. Bob Marley at the Rainbow. Feelgood at Colston. Great days. Do you know I still have all the tickets and programmes. ....... sad but true 

Edited by BigTone
  • Like 3

Then on to Adelaide and AC/DC (RIP Bon) and INXS (RIP Michael) at the Largs Pub. Cold Chisel (RIP Steve) at Flamingo in Christies. Another great Adelaide band was The Angels ( RIP Doc). Just realised an awful lot of RIP's there !!!

Edited by BigTone
  • Like 1

On 16/02/2018 at 12:21, BS4 on Tour... said:

Spot on mate....as you said, the 70s and early 80s were raw, yet real and beautifully stark....I regularly got into awkward situations well away from football just because I proudly sported a fishtail parka with ‘All Mod Cons’ painted on the back...I also have a little cringe at some of the photos of me and my mates back then, stripey boating blazers, John Lennon-esque round sunglasses, two-tone tonic trousers, white socks and bowling shoes!

But we didn’t care back then...we loved the music, it was sooooo much better than today’s utter tripe...bands back then got record deals after practicising hard in their mate’s garage and playing in grotty venues up and down the country...that’s why we loved them. They didn’t win some glorified staged karaoke shite on tv in front of a panel of nobodies...they grafted and we loved their anarchic look at 70s Britain through their embittered lyrics, grating guitar riffs, pumping bass lines and manic drum sequences. Was it polished and slick? Hell no, but it was REAL and it bloody well reflected everyday life at the time....which was also far from polished and slick.

I grew up with Paul Weller, Joe Strummer, John Lydon, Sid Vicious, Hugh Cornwell, Pete Shelley, Feargal Sharkey, Captain Sensible etc....they influenced me and my life so much...but it was such a different world back then. As you said, kids today haven’t got a clue, just look at the panic on their faces if they lose wi-fi for an hour!

It was bleak and gritty, but I loved the era in which I grew up...

What he said. Outstanding post. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1