IGNORED

It all kicked off in Bristol (Merged)

CyderInACan

15 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

Limited initial print run for sure?

But with OTIB publicity it will sale well. According to Amazon, my copy arrives this weekend apparently?

Gonna get the missus give it to me for Xmas!

Nothing says 'the season of goodwill to all men' better than a book about football violence.

I'd imagine Dickens in turning in his grave at the missed opportunity!

Oliver: Please, I want some more.

Top Boy: MORE! I'LL GIVE YOU MORE.

*wraps heavy glass ashtray around the head of a street urchin*

16 hours ago, Dolman Block B said:

100% spot on, and should be taken no further 

Not that it matters either way but to say he didn’t realise what the book was about does not add up to me....also when you are playing pool do you hold the cue upside down, my thoughts are he knew exactly what he was holding up, probably knows the author, and having a bit of banter in the fact that he is holding the cue in a manner that could be seen as how a hoolie may do.

all about interpretation I guess, but just the way I view it, but scotty is a good lad and surely what he does with his spare time is up to him.

anyhow the book seems to be getting some good reviews anyway.

Having just read the book, IMO it is a pretty good read. Covers some key “battles” but also very well describes some of the close camaraderie that existed and apart from some editorial liberties, it is an honest report.

It was also great to see a lot of names I personally knew at the time mentioned by Paul in the acknowledgements at the back of the book - some of whom are no longer with us.

Good read and brings back some great memories for me personally.

16 minutes ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

It's a shame that the author wasn't at the Battle of Elm Park in 84. I was there as an over excited 15 year old, and only have vague memories, so would have good to read some more details of the days shenanigans. 

About half way through now, and hoping the Corinthian Casuals game comes up

:boxing:

It does! 

6 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

Having just read the book, IMO it is a pretty good read. Covers some key “battles” but also very well describes some of the close camaraderie that existed and apart from some editorial liberties, it is an honest report.

It was also great to see a lot of names I personally knew at the time mentioned by Paul in the acknowledgements at the back of the book - some of whom are no longer with us.

Good read and brings back some great memories for me personally.

I’ve got through two thirds of it and have found it a very good read. I’ve found a few small mistakes, but I guess we all see things slightly differently.

Its brought back some memories that’s for certain!

All in all a very good read.

1 hour ago, Portland Bill said:

I’ve got through two thirds of it and have found it a very good read. I’ve found a few small mistakes, but I guess we all see things slightly differently.

Its brought back some memories that’s for certain!

All in all a very good read.

Was gonna get the missus give it me for Xmas Portland Bill but decided that was probably not a good idea - as wanted to read it straight away. Makes you realise what proper football was about. Look at it today - there is barely a buzz pre match at most games.

Always remembered walking onto the old East End as a kid - noise, smoke, tension, packed in like sardines - unbelievable to think about, even nowadays. Oh well, memories. The book gets this old “East End” feeling over well at the beginning. Took me back to my youth to be honest. Recommend people to buy it if they want a “different view” on football across the 80’s and the culture behind it. My mate who is an old school Pompey fan at work is gonna read it also. It will sell well IMO. 

What ever your view the book 'It all kicked off in Bristol' has now been published and is now on sale, and many on this forum would have either read it in paperback or through Kindle and after doing so will have there opinions and views, along with those who will be critical by a book of this nature, what ever your opinion is the fact of the matter is Bristol city football club have an hooligan eliment attached to it as have 90 other clubs (excluding the gas) it is part of Bristol City history.

What ever your views if you feel you have any questions on the book or anything else related to its content then feel free to ask

Sure it’s an interesting read!

My question would be what makes fully grown men want to fight other fully grown men for supporting another football team?  

Seriously, what actually makes people want to engage in violence based on - most likely - where in the country they happened to be born?

I’ve never really understood the connection between supporting a different football team to someone and wanting to break their nose!

23 minutes ago, Paul Lumber said:

What ever your view the book 'It all kicked off in Bristol' has now been published and is now on sale, and many on this forum would have either read it in paperback or through Kindle and after doing so will have there opinions and views, along with those who will be critical by a book of this nature, what ever your opinion is the fact of the matter is Bristol city football club have an hooligan eliment attached to it as have 90 other clubs (excluding the gas) it is part of Bristol City history.

What ever your views if you feel you have any questions on the book or anything else related to its content then feel free to ask

Currently reading it..It's a good read Paul, there's some great stories and I certainly can put faces to a lot of the names mentioned.

12 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

My question would be what makes fully grown men want to fight other fully grown men for supporting another football team?  

Seriously, what actually makes people want to engage in violence based on - most likely - where in the country they happened to be born?

I’ve never really understood the connection between supporting a different football team to someone and wanting to break their nose!

You would be better off reading a book by Desmond Morris...'The Soccer Tribe'....a sociological study of football hooliganism.

It takes a certain type of 'wiring' to be involved. In short...if we were back fighting in trenches, they'd be perfect cannon fodder ;-)

19 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I've no idea, at a guess it's almost back to the stoneage /tribal thing. Proud (prowed) of where you come from and want to be TopDog perhaps. Beat up another 'tribe' and show of strength. 

Archived