Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

It all kicked off in Bristol (Merged)

29 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Antwerp were about bedminster early that day, Saw a double decker bus full of them early doors.

I recall when the arrived at the ashton road end entrance, they certainly put on a good show.

Proper fans.

Hell of a place too ūüėĀ

21 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Just checked with me Shire sag acquaintance and he swears it was nearer 70/70....

Hope he wasn't a maths teacher 

• Haha 2
On 22 May 2020 at 13:32, S25loyal said:Why is the UN more important than actual boundaries? 

In your eyes then no boundaries exist at all then?

What happens when Bradford and Leeds finally meet up, a new city called Braleeds?

I live in a lovely part of Leeds, however our neighborhood is closer to Bradford and consequently we do sometimes visit Brdford on a weekend. Despite our proximity in  being closer to Bradford city centre we are yet to see a single piece of Bradford City Merch, sad times IMHO.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

I live in a lovely part of Leeds, however our neighborhood is closer to Bradford and consequently we do sometimes visit Brdford on a weekend. Despite our proximity in  being closer to Bradford city centre we are yet to see a single piece of Bradford City Merch, sad times IMHO.

I have only been to God's Own County on three occasions, but what memories:

1.) Elland Road, Leeds; that famous afternoon back in February 1974, in the middle of the coal miners' strike, when we beat the magnificent and hitherto unbeaten Leeds United 1-0 in a fifth round FA Cup replay. Yes, Mr Shankly, I am sure Leeds vs Liverpool would have made a cracking sixth round tie, but it wasn't to be. Thanks to the late Beryl Fudge, I was able, as a teenage schoolboy, to get tickets on a Supporters Club coach, and I remember very well my arrival in Leeds; our coach passed underneath lines of washing hanging out to dry between the houses in the streets leading to Elland Road and then, upon reaching the ground itself, we were met by hordes of screaming Leeds fans, many of whom were young boys my age, throwing stones and even spitting at the coach windows. The match itself seemed to pass by in a blur, but then came the return to our coach, running the gauntlet of angry, threatening and sometimes violent Leeds fans.  

2.) Valley Parade, Bradford, January 1989; a League Cup semi-final beckoned for the winners and Alan Walsh scored in the first minute! The following hour and a half before the final whistle confirmed an unlikely victory was as nail-biting and scary as anything I had experienced since the afore-mentioned Leeds match, and then came deja vu with the hair-raising walk back to our car and painstakingly slow drive out of Bradford.   

3.) Not football related, but I returned to Bradford with my girlfriend a few years later to meet up with a colleague one Sunday lunchtime and, driving through a street somewhere near the centre of town, we came across a dozen or so young Asian ladies, Indian or Pakistani, all heavily made up and wearing what, back then, was extremely revealing and provocative clothing for young ladies from this cultural background. I was quite surprised and, if I did not know better, I would swear they were 'on the game'.

4.) Finally, and this is certainly my warmest, most amusing and abiding memory of Yorkshire, we spent the Friday and Saturday nights prior to our trip to Bradford in a clean and charming bed and breakfast just a few hundred metres from York town centre. We did all the tourist bits, visited some lovely pubs and restaurants and sampled some wonderful local beers and meals. Our highlight, though, was our 'Full English Breakfast' on the Saturday morning. I had explained to my girlfriend, who is not English, what this entailed and we were both pleased to see the waitress arrive with our plates. To my girlfriend's horror, though, and much to my embarrassed amusement, she presented my girlfriend with a delicious looking breakfast and then presented me with mine, saying those immortal words, 'with two eggs for the gentleman'! To this day, my wife (for it were she) remains flabbergasted that, quite openly and without missing a beat, the 'sexist' waitress had served me with an extra egg, just because I was a man. I still laugh about this, some 30 years later.      

• Like 4
On 25/05/2020 at 02:00, PHILINFRANCE said:

I have only been to God's Own County on three occasions, but what memories:

1.) Elland Road, Leeds; that famous afternoon back in February 1974, in the middle of the coal miners' strike, when we beat the magnificent and hitherto unbeaten Leeds United 1-0 in a fifth round FA Cup replay. Yes, Mr Shankly, I am sure Leeds vs Liverpool would have made a cracking sixth round tie, but it wasn't to be. Thanks to the late Beryl Fudge, I was able, as a teenage schoolboy, to get tickets on a Supporters Club coach, and I remember very well my arrival in Leeds; our coach passed underneath lines of washing hanging out to dry between the houses in the streets leading to Elland Road and then, upon reaching the ground itself, we were met by hordes of screaming Leeds fans, many of whom were young boys my age, throwing stones and even spitting at the coach windows. The match itself seemed to pass by in a blur, but then came the return to our coach, running the gauntlet of angry, threatening and sometimes violent Leeds fans.  

2.) Valley Parade, Bradford, January 1989; a League Cup semi-final beckoned for the winners and Alan Walsh scored in the first minute! The following hour and a half before the final whistle confirmed an unlikely victory was as nail-biting and scary as anything I had experienced since the afore-mentioned Leeds match, and then came deja vu with the hair-raising walk back to our car and painstakingly slow drive out of Bradford.   

3.) Not football related, but I returned to Bradford with my girlfriend a few years later to meet up with a colleague one Sunday lunchtime and, driving through a street somewhere near the centre of town, we came across a dozen or so young Asian ladies, Indian or Pakistani, all heavily made up and wearing what, back then, was extremely revealing and provocative clothing for young ladies from this cultural background. I was quite surprised and, if I did not know better, I would swear they were 'on the game'.

4.) Finally, and this is certainly my warmest, most amusing and abiding memory of Yorkshire, we spent the Friday and Saturday nights prior to our trip to Bradford in a clean and charming bed and breakfast just a few hundred metres from York town centre. We did all the tourist bits, visited some lovely pubs and restaurants and sampled some wonderful local beers and meals. Our highlight, though, was our 'Full English Breakfast' on the Saturday morning. I had explained to my girlfriend, who is not English, what this entailed and we were both pleased to see the waitress arrive with our plates. To my girlfriend's horror, though, and much to my embarrassed amusement, she presented my girlfriend with a delicious looking breakfast and then presented me with mine, saying those immortal words, 'with two eggs for the gentleman'! To this day, my wife (for it were she) remains flabbergasted that, quite openly and without missing a beat, the 'sexist' waitress had served me with an extra egg, just because I was a man. I still laugh about this, some 30 years later.      

I wonder if younger City fans realise just how big a result that Leeds game was.

Leeds were the club of the moment and these were the days the FA Cup was taken seriously , there was no resting of players  and Leeds were a team full of internationals who were running away with the league while City were struggling. I know of a couple of Rovers fans who went to both games, because back then you didn't get many chances to see the best team in the land.

I remember being totally shocked ( and jealous) when the news filtered through of the result. It was a far bigger shock than when you beat Manchester United and I would argue one of the biggest games in your history.

• Like 8
2 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I wonder if younger City fans realise just how big a result that Leeds game was.

Leeds were the club of the moment and these were the days the FA Cup was taken seriously , there was no resting of players  and Leeds were a team full of internationals who were running away with the league while City were struggling. I know of a couple of Rovers fans who went to both games, because back then you didn't get many chances to see the best team in the land.

I remember being totally shocked ( and jealous) when the news filtered through of the result. It was a far bigger shock than when you beat Manchester United and I would argue one of the biggest games in your history.

Certainly one of our biggest games and, of course, I was ecstatic as a schoolboy for the reasons you mention, but I believe the draw with Coventry was of far more importance.

2 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Leeds were THE team back in those days, they were still unbeaten in the league at this stage and this was about mid March that's how good they were

2 hours ago, Galway Red said:

Leeds were THE team back in those days, they were still unbeaten in the league at this stage and this was about mid March that's how good they were

Runaway First Division leaders and 29 games unbeaten in all comps. as I remember, and they weren't the sort of team (or Revie the type of manager) to rest players or treat any game or opponent with anything but the utmost seriousness.

A supremely focused team of seasoned internationals with a win at all costs attitude - the epitome of hard bastards - they were an incredibly hard team to beat and the shock of City's victory reverberated around the country and rightly made the national TV news in the evening and the front page of the papers the next day.

I was at Elland Road as a 15 year old and have always put the achievement in beating that Leeds team far beyond the beating of Liverpool in the 90's or Man.Utd more recently.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I know of a couple of Rovers fans who went to both games, because back then you didn't get many chances to see the best team in the land.

I presume they thought Leeds were OK too hopefully?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
On 25/05/2020 at 02:00, PHILINFRANCE said:

The excellent film Blinded By The Light, reveals what perfectly legal activity the young ladies were actually doing. 

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

The excellent film Blinded By The Light, reveals what perfectly legal activity the young ladies were actually doing. 

I liked the Manfred Mann song, but have never heard of the film - a quick Google search shows something about Bruce Springsteen.

Is this the correct film?

If so, I fail to make the connection between 'The Boss', the Pakistani family and the young, scantily dressed ladies I saw hanging around on the street corners in Bradford.

Have I got the wrong film or did I misunderstand totally the outline plot.

15 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I liked the Manfred Mann song, but have never heard of the film - a quick Google search shows something about Bruce Springsteen.

If so, I fail to make the connection between 'The Boss', the Pakistani family and the young, scantily dressed ladies I saw hanging around on the street corners in Bradford.

Hi Phil,

The song was written by Bruce but the Manfreds had a hit with it.

A British film of the same name, released a year ago, and it's about 2 asians who get captivated by Bruce's lyrics. It is a great film and is a true story.

It is set in Luton, mid 80s. The film doesn't pull punches as to how bad racism was for the Asian community. However, teenage British asians, wanted to rebel. About this time, (not in the film) a young Bradford Asian iirc, wanted to play underground music that represented his culture. He came up with the idea  of hiring a nightclub but during the daytime, so that he could play his remixed music. The asian dance scene took off especially as other teenage girls knew they could dress up and wear make-up where their own parents wouldn' t dare go in. There is a such a scene as this in the film.

I therefore put it to the jury, that this is what you saw that day. Young British asians going to or from a Nightclub but during the day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Hi Phil,

The song was written by Bruce but the Manfreds had a hit with it.

A British film of the same name, released a year ago, and it's about 2 asians who get captivated by Bruce's lyrics. It is a great film and is a true story.

It is set in Luton, mid 80s. The film doesn't pull punches as to how bad racism was for the Asian community. However, teenage British asians, wanted to rebel. About this time, (not in the film) a young Bradford Asian iirc, wanted to play underground music that represented his culture. He came up with the idea  of hiring a nightclub but during the daytime, so that he could play his remixed music. The asian dance scene took off especially as other teenage girls knew they could dress up and wear make-up where their own parents wouldn' t dare go in. There is a such a scene as this in the film.

I therefore put it to the jury, that this is what you saw that day. Young British asians going to or from a Nightclub but during the day.

But we will never know

Hi NI, and Thanks for your response.

I knew that Bruce Springsteen wrote the song, but, as I said, I had never heard of the film.

Your explanation as to why these young ladies were dressed as they were now makes sense - it would have been early 1990 when I was in Bradford, and I must confess, I was astonished that they were acting so brazenly, especially as I have had very close contact with both the Indian and Pakistani communities over the years and know how out of character it would have been. 

Just think, I have lived for 30 years with a false impression....

• Like 2
2 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I knew that Bruce Springsteen wrote the song, but, as I said, I had never heard of the film.

Your explanation as to why these young ladies were dressed as they were now makes sense - it would have been early 1990 when I was in Bradford, and I must confess, I was astonished that they were acting so brazenly, especially as I have had very close contact with both the Indian and Pakistani communities over the years and know how out of character it would have been. 

Asian girls from Totterdown who went to Merrywood girls school would change into western clothes on the bus and this is very early 70s

On 26/05/2020 at 08:28, Miah Dennehy said:

Good post. I‚Äôve often thought that this achievement has been overlooked. From recollection Leeds had not lost all season and that was in the days when the ‚Äúplaying field‚ÄĚ was more level and long unbeaten runs were rare. The FA cup really mattered.I went to the first game - Gow‚Äôs through ball and Fear‚Äôs finish one of the best goals ever - but was not aloud to go to the replay (I was 10). My Dad confirms that the locals were not magnanimous losers! Enjoyed beating Man U in the League Cup but this was different level.¬†

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Phil i much prefered 90s feminists,

Kick off about a extra egg but turn a blind eye to ladys of the night.

Mind boggles doesnt it!

A very interesting observation.

It happened some 30 years ago, but my recollection is that, when we happened upon the young ladies, we looked at each other in amazement, chuckled/laughed and then carried on for our lunch appointment without further ado.

In respect of the extra egg, however, I suspect that our breakfasts were almost cold before my girlfriend was able to overcome her astonishment/disgust and, as I mentioned in my original post, the subject is still discussed today, some 30 years after the event.  

23 minutes ago, Ciderhead433 said:

Asian girls from Totterdown who went to Merrywood girls school would change into western clothes on the bus and this is very early 70s

That may well be the case, but this wasn't just 'Western' clothing; this was extremely short skirts, revealing tops and heavy make-up.

In addition, they were all standing/posing provocatively, hence the reason I was convinced they were 'on the game'.

I am aware I have already sidetracked this thread slightly and have no wish to do so any further, but, whilst I remember City Road back in the day, with its numerous Afro-Caribbean 'ladies of the night', I don't recall seeing any Asian girls, hence the reason for my surprise. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

To be fair to you Phil, I only knew about the Underground scene last year! There was an excellent story about it, or Long Read as the Beeb calls it, on the news website. 

If you were in that area and didn't know anything about it, then I would suggest that they had succeeded!

Here's more about the film which is also very funny at times. A must watch!

Screenshot_20200527-194907_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

To be fair to you Phil, I only knew about the Underground scene last year! There was an excellent story about it, or Long Read as the Beeb calls it, on the news website. 

If you were in that area and didn't know anything about it, then I would suggest that they had succeeded!

Here's more about the film which is also very funny at times. A must watch!

Screenshot_20200527-194907_Chrome.jpg

Very good movie, really enjoyed it

On 13/05/2020 at 09:13, RedRock said:

If I was a social scientist, one might conclude that tougher sentencing combined with greater surveillance has resulted in less crime.

Bit if I was an academic then I‚Äôd be left-wing, so that wouldn‚Äôt fit my¬†PC narrative ūüėÄ

All to do with leaded fuel apparently

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-27067615

Also, are there no, or significantly fewer, right-wing academics? If so, presumably that's because the more intelligent people are politically socialist

:robbored:

On 27/05/2020 at 16:13, PHILINFRANCE said:

Funny enough I was only playing the single last weekend, my son loved it, released in '76,