IGNORED

any summer concerts planned??

pillred

58 minutes ago, Fodbarmyarmy said:

Was at "stones at the gate 82" gig but don't think I have been to AG for a concert since..........82 was awesome .....weird thing is I stood in the same place on the enclosure terrace as I did for footy........well it was mine after all........twas a Good gig......Jagger even wore a city shirt for one song.......a few lads climbed onto the roof of the East end and no one seemed to want to go up there and get them off.....danced away for ages they did young rascals eh.....

Highly unlikely given they sell out bigger venues but how good it would be to get the Stones back one day.  Miss You, Brown Sugar, Satisfaction, Spider to the Fly, J J Falsh (no wait - that's got Gas in it) echoing around the gate;......wonderful.

Go get em Steve

14 hours ago, yardy said:

I think the Foo Fighters are doing UK stadium tours next summer......someone give Mr Grohl a ring.

Would be a big crowd and they will have the Gate rocking.

You have no chance, as someone who works for a major events company in the North, I know the Foo Fighters wanted £750,000 for the one night at the Etihad. They are also playing the London Stadium, Ashton Gate would never be viable for that type of band or the tickets would have to be serious money. 

21 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Do you seriously think Bristol Sport got a clue about anything?

I think that's harsh. I can tell you now that the insurance on having a gig is around £55,000 and policing is now at around £70,000 a night because of what happened in May. You then have staff and electricity and everything to consider. Before you get round to booking a group you are looking at around £200,000.

Now when you consider most ticket companies charge 5-10% for handling sales, that has to come off any potential profit.

I know for a fact that Steps are commanding £80,000 a night at the Manchester Arena, Bryan Adams was £250,000 and to book Ed Sheeran, you aren't getting much changed for a £1m.

So if as so called fans say why can't the ground attract, the reality is, at present it's not viable.

The types of bands that the ground would like to attract are going to be £400-500K minimum. 

So lets take Bryan Adams for instance, if the club wanted to book him, after paying him, costs, policing, staffing and so on, you're looking at around £450,000 - £500,000 to put on one night.

So if you consider around 10,000 fans on the pitch, and maybe one full stand and then 3/4 of the side stands, you would be looking at around 25,000  capacity to view the gig. 

Before you pay the ticketing company, tickets would have to be £20 just to break even and probably nearer £30 with costs I've not included.

The reality is, about 50% of the seats would have to sell at say £35-40, so the club is going to make maybe 100K, and possibly 200K overall when you consider other sales, and that's for an act like Bryan Adams where there is the potential to not sell out.

If you wanted a group like the Foo Fighters, the outlay for the club would be in the region of 1.1 - 1.2m after paying them their 750K, Tickets would have to start at £50-£55 just for the club to break even.

I would imagine Take That want something between the two which is why the club wouldn't find it viable.

In reality a band who charges 50-150K would be the sort of band the club could trial Ashton Gate as a music venue. So having a group like Steps, UB40, Madness, or an individual like Sam Smith, Ariana Grande, or Neil Diamond wouldn't be miles off the mark.

As then they could price tickets £25-£60 and make a decent profit.

The ground simply isn't big enough or a big enough draw to be able to have a massive headliner at the Gate as the cost of running the gig would mean the price of tickets would be too high for most fans. 

1 minute ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Bristol Sport are clueless. They are all over aged. Hire an agent that will flog you? Work with young local people who actually nows what is happening at the music scene. 

Come on Tommy, reign it in. Bristol Sport is a sports consortium and have little interest in hosting gigs for the reasons mentioned in the posts above. You're criticising Bristol Sport for not being up to date with the music scene despite not having a clue who they would even host.

14 minutes ago, palmerred said:

I think that's harsh. I can tell you now that the insurance on having a gig is around £55,000 and policing is now at around £70,000 a night because of what happened in May. You then have staff and electricity and everything to consider. Before you get round to booking a group you are looking at around £200,000.

Now when you consider most ticket companies charge 5-10% for handling sales, that has to come off any potential profit.

I know for a fact that Steps are commanding £80,000 a night at the Manchester Arena, Bryan Adams was £250,000 and to book Ed Sheeran, you aren't getting much changed for a £1m.

So if as so called fans say why can't the ground attract, the reality is, at present it's not viable.

The types of bands that the ground would like to attract are going to be £400-500K minimum. 

So lets take Bryan Adams for instance, if the club wanted to book him, after paying him, costs, policing, staffing and so on, you're looking at around £450,000 - £500,000 to put on one night.

So if you consider around 10,000 fans on the pitch, and maybe one full stand and then 3/4 of the side stands, you would be looking at around 25,000  capacity to view the gig. 

Before you pay the ticketing company, tickets would have to be £20 just to break even and probably nearer £30 with costs I've not included.

The reality is, about 50% of the seats would have to sell at say £35-40, so the club is going to make maybe 100K, and possibly 200K overall when you consider other sales, and that's for an act like Bryan Adams where there is the potential to not sell out.

If you wanted a group like the Foo Fighters, the outlay for the club would be in the region of 1.1 - 1.2m after paying them their 750K, Tickets would have to start at £50-£55 just for the club to break even.

I would imagine Take That want something between the two which is why the club wouldn't find it viable.

In reality a band who charges 50-150K would be the sort of band the club could trial Ashton Gate as a music venue. So having a group like Steps, UB40, Madness, or an individual like Sam Smith, Ariana Grande, or Neil Diamond wouldn't be miles off the mark.

As then they could price tickets £25-£60 and make a decent profit.

The ground simply isn't big enough or a big enough draw to be able to have a massive headliner at the Gate as the cost of running the gig would mean the price of tickets would be too high for most fans. 

Surely the answer is to limit to financial exposure and to rent Ashton Gate to a promoter like Live Nation.

Unlikely to make a huge return if renting for a fixed fee, but at least the club could sit back and learn from experts before deciding if they wanted to take a more comitted approach.

1 minute ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Bristol Sport are clueless. They are all over aged. Hire an agent that will flog you? Work with young local people who actually nows what is happening at the music scene. 

It's not about hiring an agent!!

Bands cost serious money nowadays to book. Most only do big arena's for 2/3 nights or sign up to do a whole tour for a set fee and agree x amount of dates. To get any big group nowadays costs fortunes. The club have to make a profit and the costs for putting on a gig at a stadium is about 3 times as high as an arena! Therefore the reason the big acts play places like Wembley and the Principality, The London Stadium, Old Trafford and The Etihad is because they can get 60,000-100,000 fans into the venue which makes it viable to put on the big acts. Having a capacity of around 25,000-30,000 means you would have to charge significantly high ticket prices and therefore prices out your audience. 

2 minutes ago, palmerred said:

It's not about hiring an agent!!

Bands cost serious money nowadays to book. Most only do big arena's for 2/3 nights or sign up to do a whole tour for a set fee and agree x amount of dates. To get any big group nowadays costs fortunes. The club have to make a profit and the costs for putting on a gig at a stadium is about 3 times as high as an arena! Therefore the reason the big acts play places like Wembley and the Principality, The London Stadium, Old Trafford and The Etihad is because they can get 60,000-100,000 fans into the venue which makes it viable to put on the big acts. Having a capacity of around 25,000-30,000 means you would have to charge significantly high ticket prices and therefore prices out your audience. 

I guess that the music industry has changed a lot over the last few years.

I'm guessing here but...

With streaming services, YouTube and illegal downloads, there is next to no money in being a recording artist these days and they only way to turn a coin is from live events.

Thus average artists charging strong money for their time meaning the risk is higher for the promoting agency/football club.

Just now, Bristol Rob said:

Surely the answer is to limit to financial exposure and to rent Ashton Gate to a promoter like Live Nation.

Unlikely to make a huge return if renting for a fixed fee, but at least the club could sit back and learn from experts before deciding if they wanted to take a more comitted approach.

An option yes, but Live Nation will only want to put on gigs at venues they can make money at. Ashton Gate being a stadium means it has a lot higher costs than an Arena, when you weigh up the bands that would command a fee possible then a venue like Ashton just simply isn't viable.

Live Nation are promoting Taylor Swift's tour. She is doing 1 night at the 3 biggest UK venue's in the Etihad, Wembley and Crooke Park. Each can hold 80,000-100,000.

She has been paid £2,000,000 for the three nights and if it sells out quickly (which is will) there is the opportunity for an extra day which will earn her further money.

The outlay to have someone like Taylor Swift at Ashton Gate would be nearly 1.2-1.5m in costs for one night ! You simply cannot justify that spend on a 30,000 capacity as ticket prices would be way too high. 

3 minutes ago, palmerred said:

An option yes, but Live Nation will only want to put on gigs at venues they can make money at. Ashton Gate being a stadium means it has a lot higher costs than an Arena, when you weigh up the bands that would command a fee possible then a venue like Ashton just simply isn't viable.

Live Nation are promoting Taylor Swift's tour. She is doing 1 night at the 3 biggest UK venue's in the Etihad, Wembley and Crooke Park. Each can hold 80,000-100,000.

She has been paid £2,000,000 for the three nights and if it sells out quickly (which is will) there is the opportunity for an extra day which will earn her further money.

The outlay to have someone like Taylor Swift at Ashton Gate would be nearly 1.2-1.5m in costs for one night ! You simply cannot justify that spend on a 30,000 capacity as ticket prices would be way too high. 

Maybe Bob Taylor Swift, the cross dressing cover star would do it for less.

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

I guess that the music industry has changed a lot over the last few years.

I'm guessing here but...

With streaming services, YouTube and illegal downloads, there is next to no money in being a recording artist these days and they only way to turn a coin is from live events.

Thus average artists charging strong money for their time meaning the risk is higher for the promoting agency/football club.

Exactly this. 10-20 years ago, a single sold for £3.99, and an artist got in the region of £1.40 per single sold, and around £6 per album sold, when they were £10 CD's.

We are now in a digital world where downloads are 99p max, and the artist gets around 18p per single sold. That's if they haven't signed a salary deal which most promoters and record labels offer.

So go back to the year 2000 when CD's were big and if a single sold 100,000 copies, the artist would have earned around £140,000, now they would earn in the region of £18,000. When you consider most acts release 3/4 singles a year, or every 2 years now based on how albums are delayed to promote tours, then the regular income for an artist is not what it was and their actual way to make money is by going on tour and commanding high fee's.

P1NK will be touring next year or 2019, and her management were hoping to get Wembley but Taylor Swift was deemed a bigger attraction! P1Nk will end up doing an arena tour for about £3m over 10 nights where she would have wanted that from 3-4 Stadium gigs. When she announces her tour it will sell out rapidly. 

She would however command far too high a fee to have Ashton Gate on her tour list as our prices would have to sit in line with say the O2 Arena or the Manchester Arena and we quite simply wouldn't be able to go with their prices and make a profit.

2 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Give the young people of Bristol the possibility of creating a music scene at AG. Their choice of their upcoming bands. Not hire bands that a blind ass can appoint for a fortune.

But those bands are already doing academy tours all over the country. Where they will play in front of 5-10K fans over maybe 20 nights a tour. None of those acts would command a 25-30K venue, or they would be doing the main arena's.

I think even the Colston Hall has these smaller acts performing there as well.

The fact Bristol is building it's own arena says a lot about Ashton Gate. The reality is it would cost 100-200K more a night to put on a gig here than at an arena. Bristol Arena will end up working in unison with the likes of O2 Arena and Manchester Arena and attract bigger acts as part of nationwide tours.

Unless you're a massive stadium it's very difficult to fund big acts and smaller acts simply wont sell enough to make a profit. 

9 minutes ago, palmerred said:

Exactly this. 10-20 years ago, a single sold for £3.99, and an artist got in the region of £1.40 per single sold, and around £6 per album sold, when they were £10 CD's.

We are now in a digital world where downloads are 99p max, and the artist gets around 18p per single sold. That's if they haven't signed a salary deal which most promoters and record labels offer.

So go back to the year 2000 when CD's were big and if a single sold 100,000 copies, the artist would have earned around £140,000, now they would earn in the region of £18,000. When you consider most acts release 3/4 singles a year, or every 2 years now based on how albums are delayed to promote tours, then the regular income for an artist is not what it was and their actual way to make money is by going on tour and commanding high fee's.

P1NK will be touring next year or 2019, and her management were hoping to get Wembley but Taylor Swift was deemed a bigger attraction! P1Nk will end up doing an arena tour for about £3m over 10 nights where she would have wanted that from 3-4 Stadium gigs. When she announces her tour it will sell out rapidly. 

She would however command far too high a fee to have Ashton Gate on her tour list as our prices would have to sit in line with say the O2 Arena or the Manchester Arena and we quite simply wouldn't be able to go with their prices and make a profit.

So the reality is, Ashton Gate is an awkward size as a music venue. Too small to attract an instant sell out, too big to risk empty seats given the cost of promoting an event.

Only hope is that by chance they end up booking the next big thing and getting an artist signed up just before they go global and just before ticket prices are announed, with the poor performer on a nominal fee.

9 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

So the reality is, Ashton Gate is an awkward size as a music venue. Too small to attract an instant sell out, too big to risk empty seats given the cost of promoting an event.

Only hope is that by chance they end up booking the next big thing and getting an artist signed up just before they go global and just before ticket prices are announed, with the poor performer on a nominal fee.

Take That performed at Carrow road June 2017. 2 nights 30,000 each night. Ashton Gate can hold 32,000 for concerts, so I think a top concert is definately possible. I have recently bought tickets to see ELO next year average ticket price around £80 (£57 - £127).

14 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Yes precisely, last year Little Mix done an arena tour for this year, they charged £100,000 per night and it sold out, they are now the biggest girl group in the UK, their 2018 dates are costing £250,000 a night,  the club in hindsight shoukd have booked them for this summer as a launch for the ground, it would have ended up a huge earner for the club, but instead 12 months ago they were talking to Take That, Justin Bieber and Ed Sheeran who wanted fees the club couldn't sanction, but those were the standard of artist the club wanted. 

In my opinion Pink should be who the club are contacting, she would sell out Ashton Gate in minutes and it would be a money earner. Although not a massive money earner for the cub, but would put Ashton Gate as a music venue on the map. 

4 minutes ago, Homer Simpson said:

Take That performed at Carrow road June 2017. 2 nights 30,000 each night. Ashton Gate can hold 32,000 for concerts, so I think a top concert is definately possible. I have recently bought tickets to see ELO next year average ticket price around £80 (£57 - £127).

Take That charged them the best part of £1m for the two nights at Carrow Road. The ticket prices were also very high, yes it sold out, but I doubt their profit margin was much, but they had to do 2 nights to make a profit. 

ELO are one of the more expensive groups to book, but they are expensive as it's an older generation and the older generation pay higher fees.

in reality the age bracket of Take That fans is far lower and many wouldn't be able to justify nearly a hundred pounds a ticket. 

4 minutes ago, palmerred said:

Yes precisely, last year Little Mix done an arena tour for this year, they charged £100,000 per night and it sold out, they are now the biggest girl group in the UK, their 2018 dates are costing £250,000 a night,  the club in hindsight shoukd have booked them for this summer as a launch for the ground, it would have ended up a huge earner for the club, but instead 12 months ago they were talking to Take That, Justin Bieber and Ed Sheeran who wanted fees the club couldn't sanction, but those were the standard of artist the club wanted. 

In my opinion Pink should be who the club are contacting, she would sell out Ashton Gate in minutes and it would be a money earner. Although not a massive money earner for the cub, but would put Ashton Gate as a music venue on the map. 

How much do you think Erasure and B*Witched would cost?

Asking for a friend. 

@CyderInACan

Archived