IGNORED

Hull City v Bristol City Match Day Thread 19

Leonid Slutsky is banned from travelling to the United States and his no doubt not inconsiderable assets in the country have been frozen. He also has similar asset sanctions in place in Canada and the European Union. I refer of course to the 49 year old Chairman of the State Duma Committee on International Affairs and namesake of the manager of Hull City a close friend of Roman Abramovitch. Slutsky, the manager, had hoped to bring the likes of Tammy Abraham to Hull City when, in the close season, he announced his intention to guide his new charges back to the Premier League at the first time of asking. That we are at the point where, if the press are to be believed, Slutsky is in the last chance saloon it illustrates a remarkable fall from grace. 

I have to remind everyone that I have no time, whatsoever, for the majority of Russians in power today, not a particularly startling remark considering many of us will feel the same. 22 Oligarchs literally raped and pillaged a nation, initially accompanied by the wraith of the then newly elected Putin but who soon would all became his 50% partner making Putin the richest person in the world overnight. The brutality of a regime, thenceforth, to anyone who named and shamed him and anybody close to him catapulted the country as, most decent people's, most hated country on the planet and so it remains. I digress but remember this; In 2009, Russian tax accountant Sergei Magnitsky died in a Moscow prison after investigating fraud involving Russian tax officials. While in prison, Magnitsky developed gall stones, pancreatitis and calculous cholecystitis and was refused medical treatment for months. After almost a year of imprisonment, he was beaten to death while in custody. The Magnitsky Act, passed in the US Senate in 2012 and campaigned for by Bill Browder*, seeks to punish, by asset freezing and visa refusal, of the Russian's involved in the brutal murder of a man who was an attorney, a proxy in fact, of Bill Browder a US/Russian citizen now living in the UK, now with British nationality, who previously set up the Hermitage Fund with a billion dollars of investments in Russia; you can guess what happened to that. 

Remember the Magnitsky Act; for in an umbrella framework it could, one day, freeze the assets of Putin which, incidentally, are reputed to be in excess of £200 billion. ALL of which was stolen. 

Back to Slutsky, the manager. For all we know as clean as a whistle although his time as manager of the Russian national team would have brought him into contact with his abhorrent paymasters. So, his fall from grace may be completed today. It would appear, according to many reports, that he is in his last chance saloon with the likes of Nigel Adkins and Paul Lambert poised to take over if they lose against City. With 1 point from a possible 6 City have gone from the relative comfort of a 5 point cushion inside the top six to just 2. Not only do we need to win today but it would give me great pleasure to see a British manager back in charge of Hull City. We have reached a ridiculously low point, and I make no apology for this and there is nothing personal in it, by having a Russian managing an English club. Slutsky, the manager, maybe a decent chap but he has no place in our game. All Russians, in my book, are supposed guilty until proven innocent.. and isn't that feeling just so prevalent in our general psyche and mind set, wrongly I admit, because of the person in charge in the Kremlin. One day his day of reckoning will come.

Hull City, Hull Comets, Hull Tigers; the East Riding. Humber Bridge is a white elephant and an irrelevance; I hope the football club soon become the same, an obscure lower league club from which they came. We owe them a good beating, lets do it City. Enjoy the bridge, take a few pics, don't gloat at the win, be humble and get out. 

• Like 17
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

Leonid Slutsky is banned from travelling to the United States and his no doubt not inconsiderable assets in the country have been frozen. He also has similar asset sanctions in place in Canada and the European Union. I refer of course to the 49 year old Chairman of the State Duma Committee on International Affairs and namesake of the manager of Hull City a close friend of Roman Abramovitch. Slutsky, the manager, had hoped to bring the likes of Tammy Abraham to Hull City when, in the close season, he announced his intention to guide his new charges back to the Premier League at the first time of asking. That we are at the point where, if the press are to be believed, Slutsky is in the last chance saloon it illustrates a remarkable fall from grace. 

I have to remind everyone that I have no time, whatsoever, for the majority of Russians in power today, not a particularly startling remark considering many of us will feel the same. 22 Oligarchs literally raped and pillaged a nation, initially accompanied by the wraith of the then newly elected Putin but who soon would all became his 50% partner making Putin the richest person in the world overnight. The brutality of a regime, thenceforth, to anyone who named and shamed him and anybody close to him catapulted the country as, most decent people's, most hated country on the planet and so it remains. I digress but remember this; In 2009, Russian tax accountant Sergei Magnitsky died in a Moscow prison after investigating fraud involving Russian tax officials. While in prison, Magnitsky developed gall stones, pancreatitis and calculous cholecystitis and was refused medical treatment for months. After almost a year of imprisonment, he was beaten to death while in custody. The Magnitsky Act, passed in the US Senate in 2012 and campaigned for by Bill Browder*, seeks to punish, by asset freezing and visa refusal, of the Russian's involved in the brutal murder of a man who was an attorney, a proxy in fact, of Bill Browder a US/Russian citizen now living in the UK, now with British nationality, who previously set up the Hermitage Fund with a billion dollars of investments in Russia; you can guess what happened to that. 

Remember the Magnitsky Act; for in an umbrella framework it could, one day, freeze the assets of Putin which, incidentally, are reputed to be in excess of £200 billion. ALL of which was stolen. 

Back to Slutsky, the manager. For all we know as clean as a whistle although his time as manager of the Russian national team would have brought him into contact with his abhorrent paymasters. So, his fall from grace may be completed today. It would appear, according to many reports, that he is in his last chance saloon with the likes of Nigel Adkins and Paul Lambert poised to take over if they lose against City. With 1 point from a possible 6 City have gone from the relative comfort of a 5 point cushion inside the top six to just 2. Not only do we need to win today but it would give me great pleasure to see a British manager back in charge of Hull City. We have reached a ridiculously low point, and I make no apology for this and there is nothing personal in it, by having a Russian managing an English club. Slutsky, the manager, maybe a decent chap but he has no place in our game. All Russians, in my book, are supposed guilty until proven innocent.. and isn't that feeling just so prevalent in our general psyche and mind set, wrongly I admit, because of the person in charge in the Kremlin. One day his day of reckoning will come.

Hull City, Hull Comets, Hull Tigers; the East Riding. Humber Bridge is a white elephant and an irrelevance; I hope the football club soon become the same, an obscure lower league club from which they came. We owe them a good beating, lets do it City. Enjoy the bridge, take a few pics, don't gloat at the win, be humble and get out. 

Condensed Version

Hull City:

Managed by some Russian slut who could lose their job today if they lose.

COYR

Hull 0 City 1

• Like 2

I always enjoy Hav's articles and none more than today.  I share his sentiments regading the criminals in charge of their country and have, during my travels, met many Russian "businessmen".  Without exception I have found them ignorant, ill-mannered oafs who have lined their pockets while old ladies sit on Moscow streets selling their few remaining possessions in order to eat.  Having got that off my chest - Hull 1, City 2.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Be interesting to see if any of Bryan, Paterson or Djuric start at Hull.

I'd be very surprised if Joe did, as he took a hell of a whack in midweek.

LJ hasn't got much wrong this season but I was amazed when Paterson came on as a sub when we were already 4-1 up v Palace, after losing so much weight with his virus, as coincidence or not, he looked shattered despite only playing about 15 minutes & hasn't been the same player as the one with the highest number of assists in the division since that spell of illness.

Djuric worries me, outstanding in a couple of recent games, but it looks to me like his frame means he is going to struggle with injuries all of the time.

Expect Magnússon, Pack & Taylor or Woodrow to come in to replace these 3 and it will be a draw.

Eliasson, the only bright spot in midweek will probably lose out today to Pack because we are away & he isn't the best defensively.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, East Yorkshire CideRed said:

Just had a peek out of the window. Frosty, but looks like a nice day in prospect. Safe trip to all you fellow reds travelling up here today.

Wouldn't mind it frosty and sunny here, another night of rain and the day is the same. We have had rain here, more or less for about 6 weeks now and apart from a couple of weak snowy days, nothing else. Winters here are getting milder and wet,  I expect they will blame it on global warming. Still,  looking forward to the game this afternoon, surely we won't play as badly as Tuesday night, I predicted a win by 2 goals then, how wrong was I!  I hope LJ won't do much tinkering and we will get back to winning ways to keep us in the top 6.

COYR's!!!!!!!!!!!

Something has to give. Apparently they beat anything beginning with a "B" but can't muster up anything against anyone else.

We always do crap against them.

We rarely score against them.

Wembley hasn't yet been revenged.

Mind you, I said all this on Tuesday about PNE

NOT overly optimistic

Edited by AppyDAZE

Fascinating read as always Havana, thought-provoking and somewhat disconcerting.  How far and wide does the influence of the Russian wealth spread?

Today I fear a close game with City losing by the odd goal.  To me, based on our recent form and key injuries, this just seems like a typical game we will lose.

Hoping to be wrong come 4.50.

COME ON YOU REDSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Reports of Coach 1 breaking down. :shocking:

Correct. On temple way. Soon sorted though. They got a replacement coach to them. They arrived at the services up near sheffield just before we left 15 mins ago. So they were about an hour behind us. We are about hour from Hull so they will make match.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Hull are there for the taking. They are very inexperienced, especially at the back. The simple message is win the game. Don't make it to complicated just because we have time to flying up yesterday. Don't fill the day with bullshit talking. Move your assess and win the game.

Micheal Dawson, Alan McGregor, Frazier Campbell, Seb Larsson are not inexperienced. 

I think this will play into our hands though. With a young energetic squad we have with a high press, I’m hoping we will have too much for Hull this afternoon.

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

Fascinating read as always Havana, thought-provoking and somewhat disconcerting.  How far and wide does the influence of the Russian wealth spread?

Today I fear a close game with City losing by the odd goal.  To me, based on our recent form and key injuries, this just seems like a typical game we will lose.

Hoping to be wrong come 4.50.

COME ON YOU REDSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Some very old money, you know the sort that fell asleep on the back benches of the Lords about 20 years ago and are still there. The sort that own a pile through 10 generations but are a bit hard up for cash yet still wield enormous influence in the corridors of Westminster and are from both political polars... These are the types who have been 'befriended' by the dirty money and is replicated on Capitol Hill. These are the core reasons we see a lack of action or will.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Some very old money, you know the sort that fell asleep on the back benches of the Lords about 20 years ago and are still there. The sort that own a pile through 10 generations but are a bit hard up for cash yet still wield enormous influence in the corridors of Westminster and are from both political polars... These are the types who have been 'befriended' by the dirty money and is replicated on Capitol Hill. These are the core reasons we see a lack of action or will.

I once heard that when William the Conqueror dished out all the land that he didn't want, it went to about 150 of his most trusted knights. It is reputed that these 150 families are still among the richest and most influential people in Britain. Wars and financial depressions hardly seem to adversely affect them. When I lived in Portugal, some middle class locals were adamant that there was an elite that ran the government, the legal system and the communications especially newspapers.

It's probably the same in most West European countries and also the US. Me, I was born with nothing and will be the same when I die.