Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

wendyredredrobin

World Cup Draw

1 hour ago, Super said:

Blimey what a piss easy group. Shame we're not very good!

Remarkably fortunate but Belgium are no pushovers. 

1 hour ago, glynriley said:

Monday June 18: Tunisia (7pm) in Volgograd

Sunday June 24: Panama (1pm) in Nizhny

Thursday June 28: Belgium (7pm) in Kaliningrad

Thats a very interesting venue for the final group game; the enclave of Kaliningrad previously Konigburg and the seat of Prussian power and intelligencia before and after the original forming of Germany. It was a beautiful city on the Baltic. Love to go to that match.

• Like 1

With some groups you could have a good guess at who will be the top two teams. A few others though and there's three nations in contention for the top two. Still it wasn't a one sided draw like the Carabou Cup QF.

Just now, havanatopia said:

Remarkably fortunate but Belgium are no pushovers. 

Thats a very interesting venue for the final group game; the enclave of Kaliningrad previously Konigburg and the seat of Prussian power and intelligencia before and after the original forming of Germany. It was a beautiful city on the Baltic. Love to go to that match.

Volgograd changed it's name in the 60's I believe. Before that it was Stalingrad. Do Germany get to play there?

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, 22A said:

Volgograd changed it's name in the 60's I believe. Before that it was Stalingrad. Do Germany get to play there?

It would be a frosty welcome if they did wouldn't it blimey.. Good point.

4 group stage matches in Volgograd including our opener v Tunisia. Germany not included.

Edited by havanatopia

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Was there in 98 when we opened against Tunisia Shearer and Scholesy saw us home in baking heat

:englandflag:

also in Bologna in 90 for my fav ever England moment witnessed live - Platts injutpryntime winner

The signs are good

:clapping:

I’ve been to Bologna - couple of times recently, amazing City, amazing food, cheap flights from Bristol and easy to get tickets to watch serie A football, Ac Milan played last time I was there

2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

2nd game for England is my birthday.

Though I believe in 2014 we needed a result on my birthday to go through and failed.

You share it with Messi then. And my son - which is why I know that!

32 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I’ve been to Bologna - couple of times recently, amazing City, amazing food, cheap flights from Bristol and easy to get tickets to watch serie A football, Ac Milan played last time I was there

I'm just reading a John Grisham book set there. Sounds good.

Quite fancy the first game v tunisia in kaliningrad, little piece of russian soil between poland and Lithuania. Go for the game then spend a few days in Gdansk watching the footie drinking cheap beer ... happy days.

6 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

It's England. We can sh1t this up to levels you might not imagine possible.

Oh I have lived through all the cock up's and even winning the thing, so nothing can surprise me...but we will qualify out of this group.

I hope... :pray:

1 minute ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Stay in Bristol and watch the games on telly. Don't support the corrupt russin regime not giving a toss about human rights. 

I get what you are saying, sort makes me feel pretty much that I don't really care. Horrible regime those lying cheating racist outfit that is Russia.  I'll just go fishing in those long summer evenings with a radio and hope I get a bite.:robbored: .

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ProjectMayhem said:

Why is everyone so happy with Belgium? Their team is on another level to ours

DeBruyne, Hazard, Lukaku, Courtois...

Because they’re as bad as us in terms of not playing to their potential and looking like a group of individuals rather than a team.  

And compared to the likes of Brazil, Germany, Spain and France it could have been tougher. 

8 minutes ago, ProjectMayhem said:

Think its the other 2 we are happy with. Belgium underachieve as much as us, they bottled the Wales game at the Euros.

30 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Quite fancy the first game v tunisia in kaliningrad, little piece of russian soil between poland and Lithuania. Go for the game then spend a few days in Gdansk watching the footie drinking cheap beer ... happy days.

Good one for me to get to.

Think I will be popping along for this.

• Like 1

Time to start planning the trip, shame we arent playing in Moscow or St Petersburg but never mind.

Belgium seems a bit of a dead rubber, win or lose we will have a winnable 2nd round and an impossible QF.

42 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Stag do in Gdansk?

I think QTR Finals should be a realistic target. We're not great but certainly capable of getting out of that group.

25 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Lying, cheating and murdering by those that have the power in this country is just as rife.  But here, they do it more subtly so they don't get caught.

They prefer to destroy your reputation and ruin your life so you lose everything you have over here.

At least the Russians are up front about it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ProjectMayhem said:

Wales beat them 3-1 in the Euros last year. 

That's what gives me a glimmer of hope.

2 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

They prefer to destroy your reputation and ruin your life so you lose everything you have over here.

Sounds like you've been involved with the same kind of people that I have.

Just now, wendyredredrobin said:

Sounds like you've been involved with the same kind of people that I have.

Fortunately not mate, just my observations from my nearly sixty years. It is so sad that we have changed so much in that time from people being generally honest and trying to do their best by others to not being able to trust most as far as you can throw them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Lying, cheating and murdering by those that have the power in this country is just as rife.  But here, they do it more subtly so they don't get caught.

Ridiculous comment.

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

Ridiculous comment 2...

'At least the Russians are up front'  what are you talking about?... they are up front about nothing. Country run by Mafia types.

1 hour ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

It's the Belgium game on 28th June which is in Kaliningrad as per havanatopia's post

1 hour ago, ProjectMayhem said:

How many World Cups have they won, European...?

0 That many

4 hours ago, Super said:

Blimey what a piss easy group. 

They said the same in 2010 and look how that turned out. A solitary win and we just about qualified.

The smug front page headline in one of the rags when the draw was made..........

England

Algeria

Slovenia

Yanks

:facepalm:

2 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

The first game against Tunisia is in Volgograd, not Kaliningrad. It's the third game against Belgium that's in Kaliningrad.

5 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

So here we have it:

Belgium

Panama

Tunisia

England

Is that the final standings?

• Haha 1

So, we should get out of the group and then, in the last 16, beat Senegal (should we win the group) or Poland (if we are runners-up).

Then, in the last 8, we have the invidious choice of Brazil or Germany!

5 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

want to be careful they don't pay you a visit saying things like that.

5 hours ago, ProjectMayhem said:

that last beat us 81 years ago, only once in their entire history. not that past results have any bearing but some teams just seem to be like that for others as we well know.

Belgium's golden generation royally fluffed their lines under Wilmots when the crunch came. With Martinez in charge it should be different. They have the potential to reach the semi's and perhaps even further with that squad.

6 hours ago, ProjectMayhem said:

On paper, definitely. Whether they'll translate it to grass in a major tournament remains to be seen - but I think they will.

People forget that Wilmots has been sacked and a new manager is at the helm which can make a huge difference to a team.

For verification of this just send a stamped addressed envelope to Sean O'Dismal. ;)

23 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Was there in 98 when we opened against Tunisia Shearer and Scholesy saw us home in baking heat

also in Bologna in 90 for my fav ever England moment witnessed live - Platts injutpryntime winner

The signs are good

:clapping:

Was there too SuperBob. Great moment when Platty scored.

Think we stayed at some dodgy campsite out of town if I remember. You had Big Wilf & “Chelsea Rob” with you I think?. The spics were going round stabbing England fans In the backside on mopeds and then driving off (cowards), if I remember right, so thought best to head out of town to camp (good days them).

Edited by GasDestroyer

20 hours ago, ProjectMayhem said:

They have on paper one of the best teams in the world. GK - Courtouis.  DEF - Vertonghen, Vermaelen, Alderwiereld, Meunier. Mid - Dembele, De Bruyne, Tielemans, Hazard. ATT - Lakaku, Mertens. Add to that you have, Benteke, Fellini, Kompany, Batshuayi, Ferreira Carrasco and Nainggolan and it's clear they have a very strong squad. And whilst they haven't performed well at previous tournaments neither have we. If they get their shit together they would be serious contenders to win it.

18 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

How many World Cups have they won, European...?

0 That many

Yes and we won it in 1966 is that going to make our current team better worse? How many they have won in the past is irrelevant, particularly as we are playing them at the group stage.

1 hour ago, BCFC Richard said:

They have on paper one of the best teams in the world. GK - Courtouis.  DEF - Vertonghen, Vermaelen, Alderwiereld, Meunier. Mid - Dembele, De Bruyne, Tielemans, Hazard. ATT - Lakaku, Mertens. Add to that you have, Benteke, Fellini, Kompany, Batshuayi, Ferreira Carrasco and Nainggolan and it's clear they have a very strong squad. And whilst they haven't performed well at previous tournaments neither have we. If they get their shit together they would be serious contenders to win it.

Yes and we won it in 1966 is that going to make our current team better worse? How many they have won in the past is irrelevant, particularly as we are playing them at the group stage.

They have a fantastic squad, but they always fail at finals, maybe this time?