IGNORED

Hengrove Athletic - a warm invitation!

Hamdon Mart

Hello there, 

Here at Hengrove Athletic, we are proud of the fact that we successfully hosted the Bristol City Community Trust match in July 2016. Nearly 1,700 of you came to Norton Lane when Lee Johnson brought Kodjia, Tomlin et al to our little club (and beat us 7-0 but we won't mention that!!). A great day and we're grateful to all at AG for coming that day.

On Saturday 30th December, you are at home to Wolves live on Sky, kickoff at 5.30pm. Two Western League clubs, ourselves and Keynsham Town, have brought our Western League games forward so that fans (and a few players too) can do both games. Keynsham v Bishop Sutton will be on Friday 29th December, 7.45pm kickoff and Hengrove v Odd Down will kick off at 1.00pm on the Saturday, 30th December. 

Any season ticket holders from Bristol City and Wolves can gain entry to our games for just £3 each and also, there will be a free mince pie too. As Bath City and Yeovil Town don't play that afternoon, we have also made the same offer to season ticket holders of those clubs too, in the hope of attracting a few extra spectators to our matches. 

It would be great to see as many of you on the day as possible. We have quite a few City fans that play for Hengrove and they'd be delighted if you could make it along that day.

A good move by the clubs and the League authorities! As a local to both clubs I have been known to attend the odd fixture, as well as the Groundhopper Days. So I may well be looking to get both games in - oh, and the City!   :chant6ez:

16 hours ago, Lee0 said:

I'll be there.....Hengrove should do things like this more often 

Great news, Lee, see you there! 

We'd love to do it regularly, and we may well look at it again if this is a success. It's fine for Keynsham on the Friday night as their game won't clash with anything but on a Saturday, to make it work for a City 5.30pm kickoff, it would have to be a 1pm KO at Hengrove. That immediately limits the number of games you can do it with due to opposition travel times and a lot of clubs won't budge on KO times either. Thankfully, Keynsham and ourselves are more open-minded and innovative and would like to at least try something before we write it off. 

Just a gentle bump (not going to abuse the sytem!) for the game on the 30th.

Think the players are getting excited that a few of you might be coming along because yesterday, they beat Wells City 7-1. Six goals in the second half too, not something you see every day! Win moves us up to 14th place, just four points off seventh in a congested middle part of the table. 

Keynsham also won yesterday, 1-0 v Portishead, which maintains their four point lead at the top. Would be good to see the K's promoted this season, both clubs have a lot of City fans playing/involved at the club.

3 hours ago, Hengrovian said:

Think the players are getting excited that a few of you might be coming along because yesterday, they beat Wells City 7-1. Six goals in the second half too, not something you see every day! Win moves us up to 14th place, just four points off seventh in a congested middle part of the table. 

Keynsham also won yesterday, 1-0 v Portishead, which maintains their four point lead at the top. Would be good to see the K's promoted this season, both clubs have a lot of City fans playing/involved at the club.

Noticed a few of your scorers that played with my boy at youth and county level

11 hours ago, Erithacus said:

Good win over a battered Wells side, what with some talent starting to come through too? Sounds like Durbs has got them playing more like it.

To be fair, the young lad that came on has just signed from AFC Brislington so not a Hengrove youth product. Give it 3 or 4 seasons and we will be pushing lads through to compete for a first team place, that's for sure. John Durbin has done superbly since taking over from Jamie Hillman, and now has a nice blend of loyal, club players and exciting youngsters. 

Greetings again from the green and white south side of Bristol....

A day off for us today as Brislington's pitch was waterlogged so we now spend the next three and a half days before Saturday hoping for a drier period of weather. Odd Down collected a point at Clevedon, where we were beaten 2-1 on Saturday. You'll know of Clayton Fortune & Alex Russell of course, both at the Everyone Active Stadium, Clevedon these days.

That point for OD sets up the game on Saturday nicely. Odd Down are 11th in the table with 26 points from 19 games; Hengrove are 15th with 23 points from 19 games. Both teams' goal difference is +3 so it's winner takes, er, 11th on Saturday. Adding to the spice is that Hengrove's top scorer last season Asa White, Hengrove's manager's brother Matt Durbin and former player James Dunn all ply their trade at the Lew Hill this season so there's a bit at stake, albeit this won't be Fenerbahce v Galatasaray.

Just a reminder that by showing your City season cards on Friday, you can enter for £3 and get a free mince pie. Programmes are extra, we will reprint if we run out for you, and it should be a good game. And best of all, it kicks off at 1.00pm, giving you enough time to head down to the Gate afterwards. 

Don't forget, Keynsham are doing exactly the same except their game is on the Friday night, v Bishop Sutton, at 7.45pm at the Crown Fields. Details here...

http://www.hengroveathletic.com/news/festive-footie-double-discount-2098529.html

Would be great to see you. I'll do my best to update you on here if there are any weather worries; you can also follow us at @hengroveafc on Twitter.

Finally congratulations on Wednesday night. As a YTFC fan of 40 years +, it's been many seasons since I celebrated a goal quite like I did when Korey Smith fired home on Wednesday. Love the work LJ is doing, and wish you all the very best for the season.

TA - my'olman - apologies for not replying, missed your message. No, we didn't show it in the end. 

On 17/12/2017 at 20:50, Hengrovian said:

Sounds good. I can't make the Friday unfortunately but hope to make the Saturday game

2 hours ago, Hengrovian said:

hoping for a drier period of weather

Looking forward to this weekend now - just hope it doesn't fall victim to the rain like the Bris game. Better ask next door if Whitchurch Cricket Club will lend you their covers!

On 26/12/2017 at 22:38, Erithacus said:

Looking forward to this weekend now - just hope it doesn't fall victim to the rain like the Bris game. Better ask next door if Whitchurch Cricket Club will lend you their covers!

Now that's not a bad shout, though we will need a few more sets to cover the rest of the pitch. 

Well when I initially posted the thread, I entitled it "a warm invitation". The welcome will of course be warm but not sure the weather will play ball. We are ever hopeful that the British weather will relent a little but it seems inevitable that we will be needing a pitch inspection on Saturday morning to determine the match. The good news is that Keynsham will definitely be on this Friday night, fingers crossed that we will be too. 

Just a quiet reminder that tonight's game between Keynsham Town & Bishop Sutton will go ahead (joys of a 4G pitch), kick off at 7.45pm. £3 admission to all City season card holders as promised.

Our game tomorrow has to be a doubt, I'm afraid. A lot depends on whether we have more rain in the next 24 hours - it's forecast but how much, we won't know till it arrives. A local ref is on standy for a 9.30am pitch inspection tomorrow.

Given that quite a few people on here have intimated they might come, please can I ask you to follow us on Twitter - @hengroveafc - or view the Twitter feed tomorrow as the yes / no on the game will be published there first. We have no intention on spoiling people's day by not letting them know ASAP that it's off but given I'll be at the club, and obviously the league, the officials and the opposition need to know first, it might be a while before I can update this thread.

Enjoy your weekend anyway, sounds like City v Wolves will be a cracker. 

53 minutes ago, Hengrovian said:

Sadly not, have to admit the idea crossed my mind but not sure it's allowed in the league rules even if it was logistically possible. We would have to provide hot food for the visitors and there are quite a few other hurdles that would need to be jumped before that could happen. 

Where is your ground / pitch?  Is it close to Whitchurch Sports Centre?

Edit - just noticed you mentioned Norton Lane, I'll check it out.

Hi all, 

For those of you that said we should do this again, we are!

https://tinyurl.com/y7k3oawr

This Saturday, 17th November, it's half price admission to any Bristol City (and Yeovil Town) season ticket/card holders that show them at the gate. So that'll be three English pounds for adults and just £1.50 for consesh, konshesh, concisans, oh heck, for senior citizens. Kids under 16 are free anyway, so they'll remain free. 

This week, it's the visit of Buckland Athletic. Strong team from Devon, we beat them both times last season so they'll be up for getting their own back as well as improving their league position. We've had a stinker of a start with a hundred injuries (not THAT much of an exaggeration) but players are beginning to return so it should be a decent enough game.

Archived