IGNORED

The Bristol City v Middlesbrough Match Day Thread 20

21 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Has to be said we are a much better side against teams that want to play. Strangely I think the biggest threat to our season is our ability to get results against the lesser sides happy to park the bus.

Funnily enough I think LJ came up with the solution to that problem tonight.  Playing Reid up front on his own almost forces the opposition to play further up the pitch which allows our pacey midfielders to play off him and find space beyond the opposition's back line.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

We were superb at times tonight and only a ridiculous own goal by Magnússon, made it a little bit tricky in the final 15 minutes. 

Middlesborough deserved sweet **** all out of this game.

The referee was lenient at times especially towards Traore.

Fielding 7 did what he had to do as usual.

Wright 7 a few mistakes, but generally ok, but what a cross for our first goal.

Flint 8 superb once more his part for the 2nd goal was incredible.

Baker 7 confident throughout.

Magnússon 6 up until the own goal was playing OK, but what was he thinking?.

Patterson 6 really took his goal well but not quite up to speed yet.

Brownhill 7 played well throughout.

Smith 9 MOM again, people who believe he is a weak link know nothing about football.

Pack 8 solid and disciplined throughout.

Bryan 7 took his goal oh so well, but i’m not sure he is fully fit.

Reid 7 his first touch tonight was superb at times and a constant thorn in their side.

Djuric 8 I thought he was great tonight for his 15 minutes of fame, won most things in the air, held it up well and actually looked good with the ball at feet.

Elliason & Leko not on long enough.

LJ 9 Tactics spot on, subs were about right maybe Eliasson could have been brought on earlier Patterson was tiring.

I  thought it was great the complimentary things that the commentator and pundits said about us tonight, we should fear nobody in this league.

I'd give Reid 8 and Pack only 7, but otherwise agree... Eliasson looked bright in the short time he was on too.

Seeing it again on the C5 show, those really are two peaches of crosses from two defenders. And that Joey header is perfection.

There might be better teams in the Championship, but i doubt very much there is any with a better energy about them and team spirit.

My God, wot a game next Friday (nervous already, but excited)

Edited by AppyDAZE

I thought City were excellent today. LJ got it spot on.

It's the first time I can remember City playing without a "recognised" striker (yes I know Bobby Reid has been  great so far but it's his first season in that role) but we caused Middlesbrough all sorts of problems with our interplay. We also saw the game out really well after the flukey own goal. We looked like a very good day side.

11 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Very significant win and a superb performance. Somewhat bizarre City can be that good and the complete opposite v Preston. No complaints though!

We set up too attacking v preston. Massive gap between our midfield and defence. Brownhill and smith were pushed ever  deeper and then there was a massive gap between midfield and attack. josh is no defensive mid. Bringing pack in takes the shackles off them both. 

Edited by redfieldred
14 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Two excellent gifs as well. 8/10 for both.

Haven't seen them yet...

All three at home this week too, can't wait, has Mags done one as a * ('seasonal goodwill gif gaff that occasionally gives' ? )   ...* only jokin' .

Great super important win and virtual 6points... Wow don't that League table look good this morning!! ..                                                 Everyone done their bit this weekend ... :clapping:.. Fantastic stuff.

Now about them gifs .. lets see 'em. :tv_horror:

Edited by WhistleHappy

Ref Esmond Million's match markings above.

I would give Eliasson an 8 solely for his tackle on Christie to snuff out another marauding run late in the game by probably the best right back in this league. For someone who our Swedish colleagues said couldn't defend, he's learning fast.

It's the little things like this which are making it such a good season so far.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Ref Esmond Million's match markings above.

I would give Eliasson an 8 solely for his tackle on Christie to snuff out another marauding run late in the game by probably the best right back in this league. For someone who our Swedish colleagues said couldn't defend, he's learning fast.

It's the little things like this which are making it such a good season so far.

it's something that Reid, Patterson, ODowda and Brownhill have had to learn as well and they are certainly improving with that part of their all round game, just occasionally all of them try to be too clever in dangerous areas, if they any of them have aspirations to play at an even higher level then it is most certainly a requirement these days.

All of the above are gifted and talented individuals and It is wonderful when those little flashes of genius come off but sometimes costly when they don't, there is a time and a place for genius.

As I said they are all improving in that area of their game in fact all of the above have improved and are still improving since day one of this season.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Seeing it again on the C5 show, those really are two peaches of crosses from two defenders. And that Joey header is perfection.

There might be better teams in the Championship, but i doubt very much there is any with a better energy about them and team spirit.

My God, wot a game next Friday (nervous already, but excited)

only two according to the table, and we have drawn away with one of them, and beaten the other.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

it's something that Reid, Patterson, ODowda and Brownhill have had to learn as well and they are certainly improving with that part of their all round game, just occasionally all of them try to be too clever in dangerous areas, if they any of them have aspirations to play at an even higher level then it is most certainly a requirement these days.

All of the above are gifted and talented individuals and It is wonderful when those little flashes of genius come off but sometimes costly when they don't, there is a time and a place for genius.

As I said they are all improving in that area of their game in fact all of the above have improved and are still improving since day one of this season.

My comment was not meant as a criticism of your post which I agree with wholeheartedly. Just an additional comment about one of our subs who had barely ten minutes on the pitch who made two important defensive contributions with two tackles near their penalty area and the half way line.

• Like 1