IGNORED

Let's not make the same mistake as 2008. Splash the cash!

tinman85

We blew it in 2008 by not enhancing the squad with big money signings in the January. This is the best chance we will ever have. Let's spend big and bring in players who will improve us further. A top powerful striker to partner Bobby and central midfield player, plus right back as cover. 

I hope we look at the right players at the right price. We do well because everyone works hard no big buck pre Madonnas here please.

If were still in the playoffs this should open us up to a whole load of tallented players but they have to want to come to us for the right reasons otherwise they are just chancers looking for quick buck and an easy ride to the prem. Basically were going to have more quality players (bigger names) available but only 1% will be right for us so unless we want them we shouldn't be talked into or swayed by a name.

1 hour ago, tinman85 said:

We blew it in 2008 by not enhancing the squad with big money signings in the January. This is the best chance we will ever have. Let's spend big and bring in players who will improve us further. A top powerful striker to partner Bobby and central midfield player, plus right back as cover. 

More importantly, let’s hope we don’t sell any key assets 

22 minutes ago, tts_city said:

Apparently 8 million will land our record signing, removed the name as although i think it might be bollox i dont want to jeopordize it either, played very well against us this season. Make of that what you will.

Sakho of Palace? He was immense for them against us, wouldn’t mind him tbf.

1 hour ago, Tomarse said:

..and rock the balance and harmony of what we currently have? No.  We buy wisely and perhaps only some loans perhaps 

Exactly the attitude we had in 2008. 'Lets not rock the boat' 'these boys have got us this far lets trust that they can take us all the way' bla bla bla. Heard it all from Johnson snr back then.

Look, if players become available in January that will improve us we HAVE to go for it IMO. Dosn't necessarily mean spending millions but if it needs millions to get the right man we should.

1 hour ago, Pezo said:

I hope we look at the right players at the right price. We do well because everyone works hard no big buck pre Madonnas here please.

If were still in the playoffs this should open us up to a whole load of tallented players but they have to want to come to us for the right reasons otherwise they are just chancers looking for quick buck and an easy ride to the prem. Basically were going to have more quality players (bigger names) available but only 1% will be right for us so unless we want them we shouldn't be talked into or swayed by a name.

:laughcont:

25 minutes ago, tts_city said:

Apparently 8 million will land our record signing, removed the name as although i think it might be bollox i dont want to jeopordize it either, played very well against us this season. Make of that what you will.

8 million? Is it a player in this division?

Think the important bit as everyone says is that we splash the cash only if it's in a position we need improved options on (due to injury or just a weaker area) and they're the right fit - really wouldn't want us to throw money around just because SL is feeling generous this Christmas. 

Also hope to see no one leaving either unless it's people who want to go as not getting first team chances and aren't likely to progress further with us... 

8 hours ago, bris red said:

Exactly the attitude we had in 2008. 'Lets not rock the boat' 'these boys have got us this far lets trust that they can take us all the way' bla bla bla. Heard it all from Johnson snr back then.

Look, if players become available in January that will improve us we HAVE to go for it IMO. Dosn't necessarily mean spending millions but if it needs millions to get the right man we should.

2008 was more momentum first half than the skill this side has. We also did go and buy  players - that resulted in a change of style - ie knocking it up to Adebola 

Without question there is a balance to be struck between buying to improve the squad and retaining harmony within it.

But I trust Johnson and Ashton to get that right. I think they realise the importance of getting the right characters as well as the right footballers. Probably the only time they got that wrong was with Tomlin - but you could hardly blame them for that after his performances when on loan. And once he became a bad apple, his was quickly moved on.

I don’t think it’s a simple as to say either “we must spend!” or “don’t rock the boat!”. If the right player with the right character is available at the right price then you buy them - but we don’t need to panic buy overpriced marquee signings.

10 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

2008 was more momentum first half than the skill this side has. We also did go and buy  players - that resulted in a change of style - ie knocking it up to Adebola 

We bought average players. Adebola who was really a cheap option at the time and 32/33 plus Nick Carle, another sideways midfielder. 

4 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

We bought average players. Adebola who was really a cheap option at the time and 32/33 plus Nick Carle, another sideways midfielder. 

I get your point I just don’t think signing a £10m striker on 20k a week would fit in the harmony we currently have. If we spend we do it wisely imo 

I expect any Targets will have been identified for a long time so I am not expecting any "big name" signings unless MA & LJ philosophy has changed......have a feeling we may see one or two pricey foreigners though ala fammy, Eliason and that scandanavian we never see....would be great to get a young controling  midfielder on loan from top euro side...

9 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

Sakho of Palace? He was immense for them against us, wouldn’t mind him tbf.

Sako is not getting picked in the starting line-up for struggling Palace, so could be an option. Much rather have him as a loan though, think he is 28, although looked a class above against us. Would be a fantastic addition.

47 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Sako is not getting picked in the starting line-up for struggling Palace, so could be an option. Much rather have him as a loan though, think he is 28, although looked a class above against us. Would be a fantastic addition.

Sakho, Bannan and Byram from West Ham would secure us top two. But also cost a fortune. 

1 hour ago, tinman85 said:

Blimey, yes, Nick Carle... Most thought he was a real upgrade at the time (though he divided opinions to an extent). Shows the quality and strength of this squad and LJ and MA's work; he wouldn't get anywhere near it.

6 minutes ago, bcdc said:

Blimey, yes, Nick Carle... Most thought he was a real upgrade at the time (though he divided opinions to an extent). Shows the quality and strength of this squad and LJ and MA's work; he wouldn't get anywhere near it.

Gary liked a sideways midfield player!! Carle had some good touches but was largely ineffective. Warnock bought him for £1M a few months later. 

Archived